GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2020 V167 GLE

Old 12-02-2018, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,167 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by buddy0329
Looks sharp...but you give up the heated steering wheel! One of my almost must haves I think at this point.
That’s my concern as well - too bad they don’t have a heated sport wheel. I want the Dinamica upholstery so I’m going to stick with it.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TBD
I made some changes to my order as well. However the theme of this build for me continues to be indecision.
  • Added the Night package at the behest of my better half to avoid having the excessively large amount of bright work below the rear bumper on the rear diffuser. I think it's a mixed bag as it definitely improves the front end with the AMG pkg, but I think I would prefer to have the chrome window surrounds along the sides. Definitely makes for a more masculine look. I think I'm agnostic with regards to the black paint on the 20" AMG wheels. Oh btw, my build is a black car with black leather and black headliner. Nearly all of my vehicles have been black-on-black and eve though I keep looking over my shoulder to see the Arctic White or the Iridium Silver, or even the Mojave Silver with the Night package, I cant quite seem to commit to going that way (yet!)
  • Eliminated the Panoramic roof. Sunroof / moonroof are always a must for me, but I don't personally crave the open panorama if the trade-offs include increased levels of cabin heat (and noise?), losing 'regular' venting, and added mechanical complications that could result in catastrophic repairs years down the road.
  • Removed the rear sill protector in a bout of vanity; I think it may look out of place and remind me of the rear of an old minivan sill plate. It's a VPC option so I assume I'll be able to acquire it from the parts desk down the road.
  • Briefly contemplated replacing the high gloss grey linden wood for the aluminum trim but decided not to. I'm still conflicted between these two options and the designo natural grain brown ash (black wood?
Other odds & ends:
  • I've kept the steel suspension for now but I keep considering the Airmatic and the E-ABC remains at the back of my mind. This is the single most difficult decision for me. and I still feel lost despite the fact that I placed the order 2-weeks ago.
  • I love the look of the 21" wheels multi spoke wheel but they don't seem very practical to me for winter use.
  • Temperature controlled cupholders are potentially going to be chopped. Whenever I get a coffee in the car I usually drink it right away. I would likely never use the option?
  • MBUX technology package. A nice to have that I have in my build but it feels like a rip-off at what is sure to be a $1,500 cost on what will be a >$70K car for most. I may dump it especially if I convince myself to go for one of the suspension options.

Last edited by buddy0329; 12-02-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:39 PM

TBD
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon

That’s my concern as well - too bad they don’t have a heated sport wheel. I want the Dinamica upholstery so I’m going to stick with it.
I love the Alcantara seats in my Audi but my wife hates them (sigh); hopefully the leather wears well.

Is there a general consensus within the community on the merits of MB's standard leather versus the top tier Nappa leather option?
Old 12-02-2018, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 692 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
That’s the trouble with all this time-2nd guessing ourselves. Is anyone worried about their order getting frozen before you get it right? My 2018 Audi locked before pricing was complete, months before production.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:47 PM

TBD
So to be clear, there are two things here - 1) side airbags, and 2) side window curtain airbags. I think the latter would still be good with child safety seats? Do you think this option is for both?

Side curtain airbags are standard. Option #293 is for the thorax airbags; the cost is inconsequential (likely $400 to $500 based on other MB models) . There's some debate as to their merits versus risks when small children are involved. Very difficult to assess best course of action. When I contacted MBUSA Customer Care to ask questions they were very careful and purposefully vague when discussing the situation with me.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I love the Alcantara seats in my Audi but my wife hates them (sigh); hopefully the leather wears well.

Is there a general consensus within the community on the merits of MB's standard leather versus the top tier Nappa leather option?
Both my wife and I love the Alcantera. We would order the GLE with the same if they had leather trim.
I don’t know about Mercedes but normally the Napa leather is softer and more luxurious but may not wear as good or any better than standard leather. You might Google Napa for professional reviews and then decide.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:52 PM

TBD
Originally Posted by Ron.s
That’s the trouble with all this time-2nd guessing ourselves. Is anyone worried about their order getting frozen before you get it right? My 2018 Audi locked before pricing was complete, months before production.
As far as timelines go, when we placed our order on 11/17 the dealer expected we would have a month before option selection froze based on the expectation of a late Feb build. Since our order made it into first decade of February for build, the dealer told us to hasten our final choices by ~ 2-weeks. Who knows the truth.

Building my 2012 S4 was a walk in the park compared to this one.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:57 PM

TBD

"...normally the Napa leather is softer and more luxurious but may not wear as good."
This was my concern as well. I'm hoping MB's textured leather perforated seats have long term durability.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 398 Likes on 279 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Old 12-02-2018, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Configuration

I made some changes to my order as well. However the theme of this build for me continues to be indecision.
  • Definitely makes for a more masculine look. I think I'm agnostic with regards to the black paint on the 20" AMG wheels.
ag·nos·tic /aɡˈnästik/noun - a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.
  • Eliminated the Panoramic roof. Sunroof / moonroof are always a must for me, but I don't personally crave the open panorama if the trade-offs include increased levels of cabin heat (and noise?), losing 'regular' venting, and added mechanical complications that could result in catastrophic repairs years down the road.
I love the panoramic roof on my '12, and there is no noise issue nor have there been a hint of mechanical or leak issues. What do you mean "losing regular venting?"
  • Removed the rear sill protector in a bout of vanity; I think it may look out of place and remind me of the rear of an old minivan sill plate. It's a VPC option so I assume I'll be able to acquire it from the parts desk down the road.
I is true it can be added at any time, and after you scuff the paint taking something out of the cargo area that is what you will be doing. Looks nice to me.
  • Briefly contemplated replacing the high gloss grey linden wood for the aluminum trim but decided not to. I'm still conflicted between these two options and the designo natural grain brown ash (black wood?
I've never liked the Mercedes plasticized wood trim - looks fake to me.

Other odds & ends:
  • I've kept the steel suspension for now but I keep considering the Airmatic and the E-ABC remains at the back of my mind. This is the single most difficult decision for me. and I still feel lost despite the fact that I placed the order 2-weeks ago.
Airmatic.
  • I love the look of the 21" wheels multi spoke wheel but they don't seem very practical to me for winter use.
They are definitely not for Winter use - you need a set of Winter wheels. Take-offs are typically easy to find; get a set of 19s or 20s. Putting 19" Winters on my ML today:

Temperature controlled cupholders are potentially going to be chopped. Whenever I get a coffee in the car I usually drink it right away. I would likely never use the option?
Our drinks are always in insulated containers, so no use for me, either.

I think we have a few weeks to make final decisions, so don't pester your sales person with every change of mind.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 12-02-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

New GLE promotional video on YouTube

"Stuttgart. The market launch of the new Mercedes-Benz GLE is accompanied by an international communications campaign. At the heart of the campaign is the nearly five-minute film "In the long run". It shows a modern family story about a strong woman and mother who is training hard for her dream: taking part in her first ever triathlon. With support from her husband she fights to the limit of her physical and mental capabilities and finally manages to participate in the race. But despite all this success there is an event from her past which is always with her like a dark shadow. The film reveals what this is. The Olympic triathlon champion and two-time winner of Ironman Hawaii, Mercedes-Benz Brand Ambassador Jan Frodeno, has a guest appearance."

It's an inspirational video focusing on human strength, light on the GLE.

http://mb4.me/GLE-TVC-Story

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 12-03-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:04 PM

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
When I obtained my 2016 GLE, it came with climate controlled cupholders.
My wife and I figured it was going to be a waste of $250.

It turns out it is a feature we use regularly. No one is more surprised than we are. We are definitely getting them again.
Partly, the reason we find them useful is when we travel, and need to keep drinks for our toddlers cool, or alternatively, her cappuccino warm.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 Mercedes E350
Could somebody share the experiences/differences of leasing or owning a GLE?
Is it worth leasing for 3 years and returning it or maybe it's better to keep it at the end of lease the term for another 1-3 years?
Or is worth to just purchase it when new and keep for x number of years and then maybe adding a Mercedes Extended Limited Warranty at the end of the 4th year?
How about just keeping it for 4 years and sell/trade before the original warranty expires?

I know everybody has a personal preference but I'm really interested to hear what you guys have to say.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's an inspirational video focusing on human strength, light on the GLE.
Good video and the GLE is beautiful. Thanks for the post Greg.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Has anyone else heard from the dealer about locking down your build order? My dealer got a call from MB asking that he confirm with me my build so it can be scheduled for production. He didn't say anything about my 02/1st decade build date being modified.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BTW, I ordered the 801A-Black Nappa leather seats (AMG Line Interior) and was able to select U59-Crystal Grey Headliner even though the initial DOG shows an available black headliner only.

U59-Crystal Grey Headliner is not listed in the DOG.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KD Trucker
Is it worth leasing for 3 years and returning it or maybe it's better to keep it at the end of lease the term for another 1-3 years?
Or is worth to just purchase it when new and keep for x number of years and then maybe adding a Mercedes Extended Limited Warranty at the end of the 4th year?
How about just keeping it for 4 years and sell/trade before the original warranty expires?
I know everybody has a personal preference but I'm really interested to hear what you guys have to say.
Very rarely is the lease better than a purchase, IMO. That is unless there are lease incentives or the vehicle is not popular at termination. Residuals are normally conservative and the money factor may be OK but you can normally beat it with a good loan. A lease can have an incentive MF and bonus money but not likely on a new popular model.
The main advantage of a lease is no or low initial coat and the peace of mind that you have no obligation at termination. No used to sell or trade. On the other hand if you need a replacement vehicle you are locked in to the timing of the lease termination or are looking at early termination or a lease extension.
At today’s low interest rates (if you have the cash) then it’s a no brainer for me. If you want a loan then the down payment and current interest rates need to be compared to the lease deal. You will get your lease through the dealer but better finance rates may be available elsewhere!
Old 12-03-2018, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lease vs. buy

Originally Posted by KD Trucker

I have never leased a vehicle in my life, so I am not good for a comparison. I typically buy a model at the very beginning and keep it the full 6-7 year model cycle. At that point it will have about 65k miles and still have decent resale. People know I take care of my cars so am usually able to sell to someone I know. I have never bought the extended warranty, preferring to self-insure, though I may change that with the E-Active Body Control complexity and cost.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:58 PM

TBD
If I've steered in error feel free to help provide course correction!

I love the panoramic roof on my '12, and there is no noise issue nor have there been a hint of mechanical or leak issues. What do you mean "losing regular venting?"
Venting the rear lip of the sunroof only. With the Panoramic roofs it looks like you can only slide the big glass from front to back

I is true it can be added at any time, and after you scuff the paint taking something out of the cargo area that is what you will be doing. Looks nice to me.
Hmmm...I originally considered its removal due to aesthetics. Since it's only held on by double sided tape, doesnt moisture get between the sill and the bumper and cause damage over time? My wife has a silver MDX w/o sill protector and I know she has scuffed it up over the years.

I've never liked the Mercedes plasticized wood trim - looks fake to me.
What's the best option you think with black leather + black headliner? Aluminum? The Designo black wood? Other?

Is this the Linden wood or something else? I thought i saw some pics/video where the linden wood was paired with piano black in the area but now I'm not so sure.

Airmatic.
Why is it the right choice? I'm not debating you, only looking for as many data points to consider as possible to help substantiate the decision.

Last edited by buddy0329; 12-03-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Options

If I've steered in error feel free to help provide course correction!

Venting the rear lip of the sunroof only. With the Panoramic roofs it looks like you can only slide the big glass from front to back.
Not true - you can pop the rear of the front section, at least that's how it works on my W166.
Hmmm...I originally considered its removal due to aesthetics. Since it's only held on by double sided tape, doesn't moisture get between the sill and the bumper and cause damage over time? My wife has a silver MDX w/o sill protector and I know she has scuffed it up over the years.
Not sure how this is installed, since the one on my '12 came preinstalled from the factory, but I would think it is in a manner like continuous adhesive that prevents gaps at the mounting surface.
What's the best option you think with black leather + black headliner? Aluminum? The Designo black wood? Other?
Well, I'm going with the Black Ash, but that is a lot of black. Had previously picked the metal weave, but it gets a glossy black cover on the cupholders I don't care for. Aluminum gets the same and just looks kind of common and cheap to me. This is a personal decision. Even the Walnut could look good.
Is this the Linden wood or something else? I thought i saw some pics/video where the linden wood was paired with piano black in the area but now I'm not so sureConvCon.
I'm not sure if that is H18 - does not look grey like the pic in the DOG, and it's certainly not H34.
Airmatic - Why is it the right choice? I'm not debating you, only looking for as many data points to consider as possible to help substantiate the decision.
Well, I like the Airmatic on my '12 a lot, however the caveat is that I have the Active Curve system as well, which you can't get on this one. It does provide load leveling and the ability to raise the car a few inches (and drop 1/2" at speed).

A couple review quotes:
If you don’t want to spend the money on the electronics, the air suspension is also smooth and offers the ability to raise and lower the GLE. For those who have an eye on the bottom line, the basic suspension is perfectly good. You’ll never feel like you put yourself in a penalty box if you go with the base GLE. – Car & Driver

The GLE can be had with three suspensions. The first GLE 350 we sampled had good ol’ steel springs, which provide a nice balance: The ride is firmer than we expected (a nod, we assume, to BMW drivers who find traditional Mercedes SUVs too softly sprung) but nowhere near punishing. Grip was impressive and likely aided by the wider tires fitted to our test cars. In the curves, the steel-sprung GLE 350 we drove felt more responsive and eager than Mercedes SUVs of yore, though calling it fun-to-drive might be stretching the truth. Next, we drove a GLE 450 with the Airmatic suspension, which reminded us of why we’re so fond of air springs. The ride is glass-smooth with excellent body control in the curves. It’s the perfect setup that should please enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike. - Automobile

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 12-03-2018 at 05:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
buddy0329 (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE
Removed the rear sill protector in a bout of vanity; I think it may look out of place and remind me of the rear of an old minivan sill plate. It's a VPC option so I assume I'll be able to acquire it from the parts desk down the road.

Another option is to have it covered with Expel or a similar product. I have mine done at the same time I have the front done.
Other odds & ends:

I've kept the steel suspension for now but I keep considering the Airmatic and the E-ABC remains at the back of my mind. This is the single most difficult decision for me. and I still feel lost despite the fact that I placed the order 2-weeks ago.

The Airmatic is a compromise between the two. It should help reduce noise from the road surface like a sealcoated road that brings a lot of tire noise. It would also be a softer ride and I think there are some adjustments available like lowering for loading and different levels of soft vs firmer ride. The E-ABC has a lot of appeal but I have decided (for the last time) to go with just Airmatic. If I regret it I might trade sooner-maybe for the AMG GLE 53.
The following users liked this post:
buddy0329 (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re GLE Coupe, GLE 53 & GLE Hybrid.....
Here’s an article I posted on another thread. The quote is from Motor Authority.

The redesigned GLE Coupe is due for a reveal in early 2019 and on sale later that year as a 2020 model. This GLE53 variant should trail it by about six months to a year. And further out, a plug-in hybrid option will join the fold.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...oupe-spy-shots
Old 12-03-2018, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 53 timetable

Re GLE Coupe, GLE 53 & GLE Hybrid.....
Here’s an article I posted on another thread. The quote is from Motor Authority.

The redesigned GLE Coupe is due for a reveal in early 2019 and on sale later that year as a 2020 model. This GLE53 variant should trail it by about six months to a year. And further out, a plug-in hybrid option will join the fold.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...oupe-spy-shots
That surprises me - I'm guessing it will be on the short end of that timetable, orderable by Summer.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My order was submitted to Distribution today, here's what I ordered:
  • GLE450
  • 799U - designo Diamond White paint
  • RWB - 21” AMG Multispoke Wheels w/ Black Accents
  • 204A - Espresso Brown leather
  • H22 - Natural Grain Brown Walnut
  • DP1 - Premium Package
  • DA2 - Drivers Assistance Package Plus
  • DA3 - Parking Assist Package
  • DA4 - Lighting Package
  • DG1 - AMG Line Exterior Package
  • DC1 - Night Package
  • DB0 - Warmth & Comfort Package
  • DA0 - MBUX Technology Package
  • DC5 - Acoustic Comfort Package
  • DC8 - AIRMATIC Suspension
  • DB8 - ENERGIZING Package Plus
  • 293 - Rear Side Airbags
  • 297 - Electric Rear Side-Window Sunshades
  • 311 - Heated/Cooled Cup Holders
  • 413 - Panorama Sliding Sunroof
  • 443 - Heated Steering Wheel
  • 581 - 4-Zone Climate Control
  • 872 - Heated Rear Seats
  • 883 - Soft Close Doors
  • 58U - Crystal Grey Headliner
  • U09 - MB-Tex Dashboard & Door Beltlines
  • P64 - Passenger Seat Memory

Last edited by JoeMa; 12-10-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I spent the last 5 years on the GL/GLS forums and must say, this forum was more helpful and less combative. I want to thank Greg for his insight, assistance, and his spreadsheets. Now the real waiting game begins.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2020 V167 GLE