GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2020 V167 GLE

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:06 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 GLE 450
Originally Posted by JoeMa
It's a good question Beth. I've been very pleased with my last three MB's and was certain we were ready to downsize to the GLE. When they first revealed the GLE the first thing that struck me was the interior looked a bit underwhelming (plain looking dash design and the seat covers are somewhat plain). While it's fully functional it didn't have that 'wow factor' I've came to expect from MB. But I put those feelings aside and focused on the overall design including MBUX. Early reports stated MBUX would support wireless Apple CarPlay which is important to me personally. When the GLE finally was available for testing and I learned they are not (yet) supporting wireless CarPlay I was disappointed. In the past I've generally focused on a the car I wanted and didn't really look at the competition so this time around I decided to get an up close look at the new BMW X5, a direct competitor to the GLE. I was very impressed with how far BMW had come since their 1st-gen X5 which was the last one I test drove. But the 2nd row leg room was still not as generous as the new GLE and that is very important to us. So the test drive confirmed for me that the GLE was still the better choice for our needs. A week or so later the BMW salesman called me to let us know they received their first shipments of three X7's and would I like to take one of those for a test drive. I couldn't resist. When I saw the X7 for the for the first time I felt that 'wow factor' and when they opened it up and I saw that beautiful interior my heart began to sway. But the test drive really did me in, it's such a fun vehicle to drive, very quiet, and very composed. Their new tech package is equally impressive. But the one thing I feel BMW got right was the dash design. It's just beautiful IMO. And the seats are beautiful and very comfortable, remind me of the designo seats in our GLS. They loaded it with tons of impressive tech throughout. Again 'wow factor' all over the place. The 2nd row leg room is as generous as the GLE with the powered 2nd row moved all the way back. The reason they powered that 2nd row is the same reason I feel MB powered the GLE's 2nd row when you opt for the 3rd row seating, so you can move the 2nd row forward to make more leg room for people sitting in the 3rd row. And it supports wireless CarPlay. For me this is a huge plus. Now when I get in the X7 my iPhone pairs with the head unit and CarPlay is instantly available without me even touching my phone. This means I can make and receive phone calls, text messages, and listen to the music on my phone completely wireless. I can call up Waze or Google Maps in a flash. And when I get out of the X7, no need to unplug my phone.

The GLE I had on order is nearly fully loaded and I'm sure it will offer some wow factor also. Whoever ends up with that build will no doubt be happy. But I realized at $96,000 for the GLE, we could own a loaded 40i X7 for the same exact money. We ended up buying a 50i X7 (V8 engine) with a MSRP of $106,000 because of the great deal they offered us, 5% off MSRP and $65,000 for our GLS and we get 3 years of included maintenance. We just couldn't pass up that offer. As I said in my post last night, I've always secretly wanted to own a BMW, the previous generation X5's just didn't quite do it for us. Their new X7 checks all the boxes. For those like you Beth waiting for a new GLE, you can always give the X5 or X7 a look. It will either confirm your decision to buy a new GLE or give you something else to think about as it did for me. The more we know the better off we are.

As for BMW reliability, that is a concern for us and if it turns our the X7 is not reliable, we'll simply trade it on another car in the future. I can say the Mercedes we owned were very reliable and the dealership was great to us. The guys at the BMW shop were equally impressive to deal with but we'll see how that goes in the coming years.

I know I've been rambling on but I wanted to provide a reasonable reply to your question Beth.
Great input on why you went with the X7. Seems like it's a great vehicle and hope you enjoy it!
Old 03-21-2019, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Free maintenance

...and we get 3 years of included maintenance.
Until 2017 BMW had 4 years/50k free maintenance - now still better than MB. Does anyone remember when Mercedes had free maintenance? I think it was with my W163. Now Mercedes 3/30 maintenance is $1,500 on the GLE.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
SL 500
JoeMa - hope you will continue to enjoy your new ride. I looked at the X7 and was dismayed to find it only comes with run flats - I hate run flats! I have them on my current S550 and am not satisfied with them. They are very noisy and I hate not having a spare. Also was surprised you said that the GLE did not have wireless carplay - everything I have read indicates they do have wireless carplay. What is your source for this statement?
Old 03-21-2019, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 398 Likes on 279 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Originally Posted by Rocketman
Also was surprised you said that the GLE did not have wireless carplay - everything I have read indicates they do have wireless carplay. What is your source for this statement?
None of their current MBUX models (Sprinter, A-Class, and GLE) support wireless CarPlay. I tested it myself in two GLE's. Wired CarPlay only.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 692 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
It may be that wireless is a future software update. Bluetooth 5.0 and WIFI both should have the necessary Bandwidth to make it work. A question on hardware might clear up the future ability to use wireless.
To me it’s no big deal with Android since the Google Assistant works so well. Occasionally I use my phone for local Nav directions, all by voice commands. Then the verbal directions are normally adequate or I can look at the screen. At least once I did it with my phone in my pocket.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ron.s
It may be that wireless is a future software update. Bluetooth 5.0 and WIFI both should have the necessary Bandwidth to make it work. A question on hardware might clear up the future ability to use wireless.
To me it’s no big deal with Android since the Google Assistant works so well. Occasionally I use my phone for local Nav directions, all by voice commands. Then the verbal directions are normally adequate or I can look at the screen. At least once I did it with my phone in my pocket.
I agree with you Ron, the GLE appears to come with everything needed to support wireless CarPlay so they may be planning to activate it in the future with an OTA update. MB did state MBUX would support it at the 2018 CES show.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW runflat tires

[QUOTE=Rocketman;7711120I looked at the X7 and was dismayed to find it only comes with run flats - I hate run flats! I have them on my current S550 and am not satisfied with them. They are very noisy and I hate not having a spare. [/QUOTE]
I don't like runflats either - all BMWs seem to have them except M models. Of course you could switch tires when the originals wear out. I wonder what is in the 3rd row underfloor space if you don't get that option - room for a spare like the GLE? Actually the 22" wheel option comes with non-runflats.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 03-21-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
I don't like runflats either - all BMWs seem to have them except M models. Of course you could switch tires when the originals wear out. I wonder what is in the 3rd row underfloor space if you don't get that option - room for a spare like the GLE? Actually the 22" wheel option comes with non-runflats.
Greg, the X7 of course has run-flats but the ride is very good. What is it about them you don't like? Ride, replacement cost?

As for the space under the 3rd row, BMW does in fact offer an optional Space-saver spare:

Last edited by JoeMa; 03-21-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW runflat tires

Greg, the X7 of course has run-flats but the ride is very good. What is it about them you don't like? Ride, replacement cost?
Frankly I have not driven those for a number of years, so I assume both the tire technology and suspension tuning have improved. From anecdotal evidence they seem to be more easily damaged beyond repairability, and of course they do cost more to replace.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Frankly I have not driven those for a number of years, so I assume both the tire technology and suspension tuning have improved. From anecdotal evidence they seem to be more easily damaged beyond repairability, and of course they do cost more to replace.
I'll do some research on the pricing of the replacement run flats vs. standard tires.

For anyone interested, this video just posted of the BMW factory assembling the X7. The finished X7 at the end of the video is exactly like ours except we got the 50i:

The following users liked this post:
HBguy (03-24-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 05:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 GLS 450, 2018 GLE 4matic
Thanks for the response, I can see you put a lot of thought into it before switching. We looked at both, and I really was leaning towards the x5 (don't need lots of second room back seat), but in the end the mbux was what kept me in the mercedes corner. My husband loves the voice control, so I'm hoping that Mercedes gets things straightened out with the builds. Otherwise, it's very tempting to order and scoot up the road to do a pickup at the factory. It really was almost a toss up. Please post about what you like in the car as you get used to it. I bet you're going to love it!
Old 03-21-2019, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by beth22
Thanks for the response, I can see you put a lot of thought into it before switching. We looked at both, and I really was leaning towards the x5 (don't need lots of second room back seat), but in the end the mbux was what kept me in the mercedes corner. My husband loves the voice control, so I'm hoping that Mercedes gets things straightened out with the builds. Otherwise, it's very tempting to order and scoot up the road to do a pickup at the factory. It really was almost a toss up. Please post about what you like in the car as you get used to it. I bet you're going to love it!
Thanks Beth, I'm sure you and your husband will love your new GLE's.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:07 AM

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
I agree with you Ron, the GLE appears to come with everything needed to support wireless CarPlay so they may be planning to activate it in the future with an OTA update. MB did state MBUX would support it at the 2018 CES show.
Oh, this is very disappointing. I always assumed that GLE would have wireless CarPlay. I am using it with my BMW and it is so much better than plug-in plug-out.....

Do all GLEs come with WiFi hotspot? Didn't see it listed under standard feature. Wireless CarPlay requires WiFi to connect.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nosnoop
Do all GLEs come with WiFi hotspot?
Yes, MBUX supports a WiFi Hotspot which may mean MB could activate wireless CarPlay support in the future, possibly with an OTA update. They may have held off supporting wireless CarPlay out of the gate due to iOS compatibility with MBUX and they didn't want customers upset if some things don't work as expected. MB tends to be more cautious when it comes to new tech so they may be slow-walking wireless CarPlay support until they have it completely debugged and working properly. All speculation on my part but they did say wireless CarPlay would be supported by MBUX at the 2018 CES.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:52 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 GLE 450
I'll do some research on the pricing of the replacement run flats vs. standard tires.

For anyone interested, this video just posted of the BMW factory assembling the X7. The finished X7 at the end of the video is exactly like ours except we got the 50i:

https://youtu.be/BXYnu9Qvyq0
Just watched your video. Very nice. Love the look of the glass controls.

One thing that really bugs me with BMW is having Carplay behind a paywall. I don't know of anyone else that does this.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by turko
One thing that really bugs me with BMW is having Carplay behind a paywall. I don't know of anyone else that does this.
I agree with you on that one, charging $80/yr for customers to use CarPlay on $90K plus vehicle after the first year is just unnecessary IMO. I was told by the salesman that previously they were charging $500 when you bought a BMW if you wanted CarPlay and/or Android Auto support. But Android users balked since they do not support wireless for that platform (only wireless CarPlay is supported) so they changed their model to free for the first year then $80/yr thereafter. Still seems completely silly for a car this expensive.

BTW, the X7 at the end of that video has Captain's Chairs, our X7 has the bench seat. The salesman told us they do not fold flat like the bench seat so cargo space is reduced.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow, I just can't stop checking this forum, you guys are the best! Maybe I should still buy the GLE for my wife when it arrives. Beth and her husband each have their own vehicle, why not us.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Production

That video makes me marvel at the engineers who design and program the production line, which is easily as complicated as the cars it is producing. It's not surprising Vance and others can experience hiccups at the start of a new product.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 GLS 450, 2018 GLE 4matic
Yes, JoeMa, that's a great idea!!!!
Old 03-22-2019, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OT: BMW X7

I've been on this forum for the past six years and have owned two GL's and a GLS, all 550's. But today my wife I traded our GLS for a BMW 50i X7. We never owned a BMW but I've always secretly wanted one. The tech is a bit overwhelming so I have a lot to learn in the coming days and weeks. If anyone is looking for a fully loaded GLE 450, contact MB of Lancaster and ask for Matt (the sales manager). It should be delivered to the dealership in the coming weeks and will likely be one of the most loaded GLE 450's in the country.
https://autoweek.com/article/car-rev...n=awdailydrive
Old 03-22-2019, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
On wireless CarPlay - from what I am told - MB has a concern about Security - which is in-line with MB thinking (one of the reason's MBrace and MercedesMe Connect can be "buggy") - yes BMW's wireless is behind a PayWall and Pay-To-CarPlay after yr one.... cable connection solves the MB Security concern and having CarPlay free is a good thing don't you think ! I'd rather pay for a cable than to pay $80yr..
Old 03-22-2019, 02:34 PM

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
On wireless CarPlay - from what I am told - MB has a concern about Security - which is in-line with MB thinking (one of the reason's MBrace and MercedesMe Connect can be "buggy") - yes BMW's wireless is behind a PayWall and Pay-To-CarPlay after yr one.... cable connection solves the MB Security concern and having CarPlay free is a good thing don't you think ! I'd rather pay for a cable than to pay $80yr..
Concern about security? What concern? Sounds BS to me. Wireless CarPlay is an Apple protocol, and it is very secure. MB probably had technical difficulties and was unable to work out all the bugs.

My BMW had wireless CarPlay before their subscription model, as they only implemented this recently.
Since I lease my car, the pay up front cost is similar to total cost of yearly subscription. For me, it's a wash. For people who keep the car longer, the subscription may cost more.

And no, I ABSOLUTELY would pay more for Wireless than plug-in/out the cabe EVERY single time I step into the car.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLE 450
Is anyone concerned about the start/stop button on the center nconsole? Unless the button is locked out when the car is out of park?
Old 03-22-2019, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Production delays continue

My 450 had a production date of 3/13, but is still B4 status as of today. I'd rather have it quick and right, but given a choice I'll take right. Still frustrating.
Grrrr....still no change - showing 3/13 completion.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
acura rdx
MBUSA person told me that if one orders a GLE now especially the 450, they are not going to be delivered before July. A couple of dealers told me "Fall 2019." 🙄

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2020 V167 GLE