GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2020 V167 GLE

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 692 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by BigHat
Any rough guesses for a GLE 450 ordered on 3/19? Dealer staff guessing late May to early June.
Your vehicle will be assigned an estimate by decade at some future date. That might be the best estimate and then add shipping that your dealer should be able to estimate based on your location. With the high demand and probable backlog, I wouldn’t think that May is even possible. June or even July?
Old 03-23-2019, 03:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 SL550
Thanks, everyone. I knew the demand for the GLE 450 was high, but had no idea of the production issues.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Production

Originally Posted by Ron.s
Every assembly line video I’ve seen has no more than 2-3 colors. The Mercedes C Class one had White and Gray. As I understand paint booths they paint all one color for a time and then change to another but more modern ones probably allow more flexibility. Unless it’s changed they have some cleaning to do as they change the color. I can visualize a modern plant having each color similar to a beer tap. If they do that changing colors might be as simple as changing the spray nozzles and a few hoses. Someone needs to tour the plant and find out, LOL.
Here are a couple videos; 2nd one looks a few years old. Seems much less automated than some others I've seen, like the X7 vid Joe posted recently:

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 03-23-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Production

Originally Posted by BigHat
Thanks, everyone. I knew the demand for the GLE 450 was high, but had no idea of the production issues.
Whatever issue there are, I’m sure they will get sorted out fairly quickly. But it does take a while for a new run to get up to full production speed.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
corvette
How does one get access toNetstar in order to track an ordered vehicle?
Old 03-23-2019, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by big foot
How does one get access toNetstar in order to track an ordered vehicle?
Only dealers have access.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:46 AM
DMG

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2001 G500
Super tempted to just go grab an X7 like JoeMa, he's inspired me. It looks like a fantastic vehicle. I have a great 450 on order but the way I see it for a little more (with discount) I get a much bigger car (pros and cons to that, of course) with more options for just a little more. I'm not getting the E-ABC so the only thing I'm missing by going X7 is maybe the some of the assistant features, and the augmented reality, but you get nice options like 5 zone climate and as Joe points out better seat coverings for almost nothing. It's very compelling, and I don't have to wait any longer (going on 4 months at this point). So i suppose looking for a little therapy session on the smaller car vs the larger car. Have a small but growing family with a big dog. Always thought the GLE would be a good size but why not go bigger for a few more dollars? Someone talk me off a ledge here. I like the look of the GLE better esp with the AMG exterior, but the MB premium seems to makes the X7 a better decision all things considered.

Last edited by DMG; 03-24-2019 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE vs X7

Originally Posted by DMG
Super tempted to just go grab an X7 like JoeMa, he's inspired me. It looks like a fantastic vehicle. I have a great 450 on order but the way I see it for a little more (with discount) I get a much bigger car (pros and cons to that, of course) with more options for just a little more. I'm not getting the E-ABC so the only thing I'm missing by going X7 is maybe the some of the assistant features, and the augmented reality, but you get nice options like 5 zone climate and as Joe points out better seat coverings for almost
nothing. It's very compelling, and I don't have to wait any longer (going on 4 months at this point). So i suppose looking for a little therapy session on the smaller car vs the larger car. Have a small but growing family with a big dog. Always thought the GLE would be a good size but why not go bigger for a few more dollars? Someone talk me off a ledge here. I like the look of the GLE better esp with the AMG exterior, but the MB premium seems to makes the X7 a better decision all things considered.
Well, I totally understand the waiting frustration, believe me. But in the scheme of things it will fade away in a few weeks. The new GLE is already bigger than the last one; do you really need that big a vehicle? I have owned BMWs since my ‘73 2002 right out of college, and they make some great cars, my current M4 among them. But, a few weeks at this point of things is not a huge deal. Hang in there!

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 03-24-2019 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:13 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
E220d T
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Well, I totally understand the waiting frustration, believe me. But in the scheme of things it will fade away in a few weeks. The new GLE is already bigger than the last one; do you really need that big a vehicle? I have owned BMWs since my ‘73 2002 right out of college, and they make some great cars, my current M4 among them. But, a few weeks at this point of things is not a huge deal. Hang in there!
Well the wait isn’t that long.
I am waiting for the new GLS to have its world premiere, probably at NYIAS.
and then I expect the car to arrive here sometime in April -May 2020.

that is a looong wait...
Old 03-24-2019, 06:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
A couple of things with the X7 that may or may not have been discussed - 1st X7 is the competitor to the GLS at that higher MSRP level - mand frankly the "new" GLS will launch this Fall just with MBUX will be to my customer another tech level above the X7. Pn the "New" GLS - based on GLE MBUX demo's I already have more existing personal GL/GLS owners who have already deposit/committed to the new GLS (without a GLS dealer order guide) than BMW store had committed on X7 from their customers at launch for the 1st two months - that's how HOT the new GLS will be.

My customer's have held off even considering moving to X7 from their "delayed" GLE450 orders - and we also own the BMW dealership - X7 another chunk of dough - and no way my customers want to go to the X7/Extended-Mobility tires which are X7 standard - the MBUX demo on the GLE's is awesomely received as compared to demo X7 cabin tech - small thing but hits home - customers don't like having to pay BMW for CarPlay after year one and that signup at free start includes a paywall so you auto-pay $80 yr after 1st yr - kindof like old MBrace "free trial" where you had to secure with credit card - AND the biggest GLE450 customers are much more enthusiastic about the outright smoothness of I6/Eco-Boost than the either X7/powertrain.
The following users liked this post:
HBguy (03-26-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 398 Likes on 279 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
I've been trying to stay out of this conversation but I wanted to chime in with my perspective. The GLE and the X7 are different in many ways, size being the most obvious. In my case, the GLE 450 I had on order had a MSRP around 96,000. A loaded 40i X7 is also around $96,000. When you compare the two trucks up close, the X7 simply offers a lot more for the dollar and in 2 or 3 years when I'm feeling ready to trade I'm certain the X7 will have a better resale value than the GLE with options (E-ABC) that will not hold their value as well. I know this because our last two GL/GLS 550's were fully loaded and didn't hold their value any better than an entry level GL/GLS. So on reflection ordering the GLE 450 with all those options didn't make sense for as often as I trade our cars.

As for the finishes and tech in both cars, I played around with MBUX and iDrive 7 and MBUX has a more advanced voice assistant. iDrive 7 requires more specific commands. The cockpit section of MBUX offers more configurability than iDrive 7.

Things iDrive offers that I prefer over MBUX:
  • Wireless CarPlay (for me this a big advantage regardless of the $80/yr after the first year)
  • Better looking infotainment interface (graphics, applets, layout)

Some X7 tech that's really cool (and practical is some case):
  • Display Key (look for some videos on what this is)
  • The X7 locks and unlocks automatically as exit or approach the car without touching anything with the FOB in your pocket
  • The headlights and side path lights turn on as you approach the car with the FOB in your pocket
  • With your iPhone in your pocket, CarPlay automatically actives when you get into the car
  • The Sky Lounge LED lights are impressive looking at night

The X7's separate 12.3" displays and that beautiful leather wrapped dash is just better looking (IMO) than the large single MBUX glass panel look. Many of us commented on MB's decision to go this route when we first saw the dash but that is subjective. The overall look and finish of the X7 was the biggest selling factor for me and my wife. It is just gorgeous. The drive is also more engaging, steering is more precise and Sport mode turns it into something really special that I didn't feel in any on my GLE test drives. BMW's tag line "The Ultimate Driving Machine" never really rang to me but I'm beginning to see what they mean. You may be wondering if I regret my decision to jump ship, not at all. The more I spent time test driving the GLE to more I was feeling I made a mistake ordering such an expensive version of the truck. Our X7 on the other hand is not fully loaded and should have a respectable resale value in two or three years when we're ready for our next vehicle. One more thing, my family and many of our friends tell us the X7 is the most beautiful, roomy truck they've ever seen or experienced. And the fact is, they're right. It's not for everyone of course but if you have doubts, you really should check one out and give it a test drive. That's only way you'll know for sure. And give the new X5 a drive, it's also impressive however the rear seat leg room is not as generous as the GLE. The X7 2nd row leg room (when equipped with the bench seating) is every bit as generous as the GLE. The inline six in 40i X7 is very smooth and quiet, I would have opted for that engine if not for the great deal they offered us on the 50i which is 456 HP and sounds more like an AMG.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If the wait is the only issue then it’s a “no brained”, IMO. Get the one you like best....a few months isn’t long for a vehicle you will own for years.
As others say I see too many minuses with BMW at this point. Run Flats-Questionable Quality & inferior Tech. The problem with evaluating tech before we buy is that we focus on the look and a few features. Then we get the vehicle and often realize that we overlooked functionality and overall integration. BMW & Lexus have been reluctant to integrate Apple & Android into their vehicles and are now playing catch-up. Mercedes is putting one system (MBUX) in all of their cars and with over the air updates should have a living system vs one that’s outdated a year after you buy.
My other gripe with BMW is that they usually provide great performance but are a little lacking in comfort. I haven’t driven an X7 so maybe it’s different.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If the wait is the only issue then it’s a “no brained”, IMO. Get the one you like best....a few months isn’t long for a vehicle you will own for years.
As others say I see too many minuses with BMW at this point. Run Flats-Questionable Quality & inferior Tech. The problem with evaluating tech before we buy is that we focus on the look and a few features. Then we get the vehicle and often realize that we overlooked functionality and overall integration. BMW & Lexus have been reluctant to integrate Apple & Android into their vehicles and are now playing catch-up. Mercedes is putting one system (MBUX) in all of their cars and with over the air updates should have a living system vs one that’s outdated a year after you buy.
My other gripe with BMW is that they usually provide great performance but are a little lacking in comfort. I haven’t driven an X7 so maybe it’s different.
Very valid points Ron. Not sure what you mean by BMW playing catchup with regard to CarPlay. I feel they're leading all manufacturers in that area. As for the comfort of X7, only a test drive will reveal if BMW did a good job or not. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JoeMa
Very valid points Ron. Not sure what you mean by BMW playing catchup with regard to CarPlay. I feel they're leading all manufacturers in that area. As for the comfort of X7, only a test drive will reveal if BMW did a good job or not. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
What I meant was that they only recently decided to put some effort into it and it’s not cross platform yet. They have various systems in different models.
Also there is no Android Auto even though Android is about 74% vs Apple 17% worldwide market share. The US is closer between the two and cheap phones owned by people that won’t be buying a Luxury car skew those numbers but still.?? BMW is on record stating their concern over giving Apple & especially Google a place in their vehicles.
The X7 is a more expensive car if you option them similarly, although you can’t exactly do that. Your build included E-ABC at +$6,000 for one not insignificant difference. To me, comparing the X7 to the GLE is OK for you since you came from a GLS but not for some of us. It’ would be like me comparing my wife’s Audi SQ5. I love her car but I want a mid size SUV. Personally I would not be interested in anything larger but others want the larger size. There are trade offs with smaller vs larger and each have unique advantages and disadvantages.
The following users liked this post:
Germancar1 (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You are right about my perspective being different coming from a GLS. Our MY17 GLS 550 had a MSRP of $107,000. Our X7 has a MSRP of $106,000 and is loaded with features and tech the GLS doesn't have (yet). The new GLS coming later this year will offer much of the same tech as the GLE. A fairer comparison to the GLE is the new X5 of course but it doesn't have the 2nd row leg room offered in the GLE. I know you'll love your new GLE's when they arrive.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
A couple of things with the X7 that may or may not have been discussed - 1st X7 is the competitor to the GLS at that higher MSRP level - mand frankly the "new" GLS will launch this Fall just with MBUX will be to my customer another tech level above the X7. Pn the "New" GLS - based on GLE MBUX demo's I already have more existing personal GL/GLS owners who have already deposit/committed to the new GLS (without a GLS dealer order guide) than BMW store had committed on X7 from their customers at launch for the 1st two months - that's how HOT the new GLS will be.

My customer's have held off even considering moving to X7 from their "delayed" GLE450 orders - and we also own the BMW dealership - X7 another chunk of dough - and no way my customers want to go to the X7/Extended-Mobility tires which are X7 standard - the MBUX demo on the GLE's is awesomely received as compared to demo X7 cabin tech - small thing but hits home - customers don't like having to pay BMW for CarPlay after year one and that signup at free start includes a paywall so you auto-pay $80 yr after 1st yr - kindof like old MBrace "free trial" where you had to secure with credit card - AND the biggest GLE450 customers are much more enthusiastic about the outright smoothness of I6/Eco-Boost than the either X7/powertrain.
My guess on the BMW handling of Apple Car Play-
They offer it because some customers demand the feature. They charge for it later and give it free the first year with the Credit Card requirement to discourage those that may not have used it in the past from trying it. It’s not about the piddley annual fee in my opinion.
The Auto business is changing from just competing with other Manufacturers. Here came Tesla and other startups. Then you have Electric cars, the Self Driving Car and Companies like Google. The business has probably never been so hard to predict with new completion and the high cost of innovation. How many billions do you spend and where?
Old 03-24-2019, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Consumer Reports just published a favorable review of the X7. I couldn’t paste a URL but it appeared in my Apple news feed. Here are the nagatives they found.

“What We Don't Like

The X7’s standard suspension height and wide doorsills make getting in and out a challenge, particularly for young children. Owners can program the suspension to automatically lower when the X7’s ignition is turned off to reduce these problems.

All of the weaknesses of the X5’s iDrive infotainment system carry over to the 2019 BMW X7. The system is capable and quick to respond, but some functions are buried in menus and submenus, and can be difficult to find quickly. At first the controls and displays seem overly complex, but we found over time that most buttons are little used and just clutter the center console.”X7 review consumer re

BMW’s gimmicky gesture control system—which lets the driver make adjustments such as turning the volume up or down with just a wave of the hand—doesn’t really save time and may be confused by unintended driver movements. For example, we have muted the radio when raising a drink from the center cup holder. But this system can be disabled.

There is scant toe room under the front seats, which forces long-legged second-row passengers to pull their feet back. Keep in mind that opting for the captain’s chairs means the cup holders are a long reach away—on the floor between the front two seats—making them a challenge to reach when buckled in, especially for children. The standard bench seat includes cup holders in the fold-down center armrest.

The second-row door opening is big, and children can get to the third row easily if the second-row seats have been moved forward. Teens and adults, though, will find it a squeeze to get to the third-row seats. Once back there, the side armrests and consoles with USB outlets cut into legroom, forcing occupants to sit slightly angled toward the middle of the X7.

And last, the captain’s chairs don’t fold down, so it’s impossible to put long, wide cargo in the X7. Buyers who need a huge cargo space should stay with the standard folding second-row bench seat.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:45 PM

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
Disagree with you about CarPlay - BMW has one of the best CarPlay implementation, bar none. It is the first to offer wireless CarPlay, and its use of split screen is very functional. I can display the Google Map on the main screen, as well as album art of currently playing Apple Music song in the split screen. With most other CarPlay systems, including my current 2016 GLE, I simply cannot display the album art in CarPlay, and I have to switch Apps back and forth to find out the song playing when I am using CarPlay navigation. Hopefully, the new MBUX CarPlay (wireless or plug in) is better - though from the video I have seen, it seems that is it still not possible to display navigation map and media info simultaneously

BMW has had OTA updates for a while, though so far it is limited to navigation map updates. Not sure how far Mercedes would push MBUX updates. I would be very happy if other manufacturers like Mercedes can match Tesla in terms of OTA updates - though I am not too hopeful. That's another reason why I like CarPlay, as you can be sure it is updated frequently, and has new Apps and new functions I can look forward to in the coming years.

Last edited by nosnoop; 03-24-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:09 PM

2020 gle 450
Hi Guys,
Wife and I just ordered the 2020 GLE 450, We went with the airmatic suspension and the 21 inch Twin spoke R77 wheels. Couple of concerns with these is being bigger more ruff ride and smaller
sidewall more prone to damage. Plus them being staggered with bigger tires on the rear wont be able to truly rotate them and them not lasing very long. Should we go with the 20 inch ones that will all be the same size and have bigger sidewalls? We live in NE Ohio so have really bad roads and lots of snow in winter

Any insight would be appreciated
Old 03-24-2019, 06:16 PM

'13 SL550
Originally Posted by rdb1276
Hi Guys,
Wife and I just ordered the 2020 GLE 450, We went with the airmatic suspension and the 21 inch Twin spoke R77 wheels. Couple of concerns with these is being bigger more ruff ride and smaller
sidewall more prone to damage. Plus them being staggered with bigger tires on the rear wont be able to truly rotate them and them not lasing very long. Should we go with the 20 inch ones that will all be the same size and have bigger sidewalls? We live in NE Ohio so have really bad roads and lots of snow in winter

Any insight would be appreciated
I opted for the 20" wheels on the 450 I just ordered. A story in the WaPo today discussed the record potholes in the DC region. After replacing two wheels ($4,000) on my SL last year, the cosmetics are meaning a lot less to me now. I don't care about rotating tires, but I do hate replacing wheels damaged from crappy roads.
Is the snow heavy enough that you'll be buying dedicated wheels and snow tires? If so, the 21 inchers in the good weather might be okay.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:20 PM

2020 gle 450
Hello, no we will be sticking to the all season tires, never had any problem with all season tires in the past to justify getting snow tires on any of our cars.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:27 PM

'13 SL550
My dealer reminds me of people in the DC area that get an AMG version of these MB SUVs with high-performance summer tires and are puzzled why they are stopped by a 1/2" of snow. Well, it might be because under 40 degrees they are basically hockey pucks.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wheel/tire options

Originally Posted by rdb1276
Hi Guys,
sidewall more prone to damage. Plus them being staggered with bigger tires on the rear wont be able to truly rotate them and them not lasing very long. Should we go with the 20 inch ones that will all be the same size and have bigger sidewalls? We live in NE Ohio so have really bad roads and lots of snow in winter.
The R77s are my favorite of the options, but can't have with AMG Line exterior. The sidewall on these is the same height as 20" ones on the W166 GLE because of the larger size, and I have no complaints about the ride with those, but likely our roads are better. I would go with the 21s and get some 20" take-offs for Winter tires. While you may have not had "any problem" with All Seasons in the past, it's only a matter of time before you can't stop, steer or go up that hill and do have a problem. True Winter tires have much better performance in snow and ice. And by switching every Fall your other tires last than much longer. It is true though that the 315 width on the 21" rears will not be great in snow. I think rotation is almost a non-issue, though.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 03-24-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nosnoop
Disagree with you about CarPlay - BMW has one of the best CarPlay implementation, bar none. It is the first to offer wireless CarPlay, and its use of split screen is very functional. I can display the Google Map on the main screen, as well as album art of currently playing Apple Music song in the split screen. With most other CarPlay systems, including my current 2016 GLE, I simply cannot display the album art in CarPlay, and I have to switch Apps back and forth to find out the song playing when I am using CarPlay navigation. Hopefully, the new MBUX CarPlay (wireless or plug in) is better - though from the video I have seen, it seems that is it still not possible to display navigation map and media info simultaneously

BMW has had OTA updates for a while, though so far it is limited to navigation map updates. Not sure how far Mercedes would push MBUX updates. I would be very happy if other manufacturers like Mercedes can match Tesla in terms of OTA updates - though I am not too hopeful. That's another reason why I like CarPlay, as you can be sure it is updated frequently, and has new Apps and new functions I can look forward to in the coming years.
I yield to a users experience, I was giving my impression formed by a friend with an X5. I haven’t had an iPhone for several years. My opinion is obviously incorrect.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:51 PM

2020 gle 450
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
The R77s are my favorite of the options, but can't have with AMG Line exterior. The sidewall on these is the same height as 20" ones on the W166 GLE because of the larger size, and I have no complaints about the ride with those, but likely our roads are better. I would go with the 21s and get some 20" take-offs for Winter tires. While you may have not had "any problem" with All Seasons in the past, it's only a matter of time before you can't stop, steer or go up that hill and do have a problem. True Winter tires have much better performance in snow and ice. And by switching every Fall your other tires last than much longer. It is true though that the 315 width on the 21" rears will not be great in snow. I think rotation is almost a non-issue, though.
thanks for the info, I don't want to get into having a extra set of rims and tires, Would you still recommend the 21's if they would be kept on year long with all season tires?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2020 V167 GLE