GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 05:07 PM

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
2023 GLC 300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Boxturtle

Also, does anyone know how to change the "assistant's" name from Mercedes to something else. She tunes in alot when we dont want her too??
I wish I knew. These two just love saying.....”Hey Mercedes!” Over and over.

The following 4 users liked this post by guitarplayer:
BigBoy11 (08-22-2019), Boxturtle (08-22-2019), HBguy (08-25-2019), RWR (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 853 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Misc. issues

Thanks for the replies.

Has anyone had any issues with the rear fender flares on the GLE's coming loose? Our driver side flare has popped loose twice. It is held on with double sided tape from MB according to our service manager. I couldnt believe it,,,,,taped on!!!
That is not that uncommon. That is the way the spoiler on my M4 is held on, and it's seen 125 mph. I thought the AMG ones were integral, but in looking closer I see they are applied pieces.
In addition to that, the front brakes are putting out an extreme amount of dust, our AMG wheels are brown each and everyday my wife comes home from work. I tell her try coasting the 20 miles to work but she doesnt seem to listen...women!! LOL Our dealer once again says that it is normal, but I think its excessive.
Mine doesn't seem any worse than my previous MLs, or my BMW for that matter - they do put out dust, but they will never squeal, unlike your wife!
Also, does anyone know how to change the "assistant's" name from Mercedes to something else. She tunes in a lot when we don't want her too??
I don't think you can change the prompt, but you can turn the voice activation off and just use the toggle on the steering wheel.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 08-22-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:08 PM

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
Engine misfiring

I was parked on the side of the road, nothing unusual from the norm. We get in the car, I start up the engine and I feel a lot of bucking vibrations. The CEL is blinking, so I shut the engine off.

I start it up again, and the same thing happens again. I take a video of the blinking CEL, and pop the hood.

I hear eat a lot of engine clatter, and I see the engine shaking. The CEL is no longer blinking, it is solid. I cut the ignition off.

We call the SOS button to figure out the problem, but it’s just a call Centre that dispatches tow trucks. So we agree to get a tow. My wife takes a cab home with our boys (ages 3 + 5) while I wait. 15 minutes later, CAA towing appears.

The tow truck operator was very nice. He complimented the car colour and asked if I’d had it for a week or two since mine was the first he’d seen in Montreal. I’ve had it for 5-6 weeks now and it’s the first real issue I’ve experienced.

I start up the engine and the vibration is gone. Just pure inline six smoothness. The check engine light is still present however. We discuss for a bit, I show him the video of the engine and he figures with all the electronics on board cars these days, we may be seeing more of this happening in the future.

After ten minutes of debating whether i should have him tow the car to the dealer and take a cab home after that, plus take a cab to work tomorrow, or simply drive the car home, I restart the engine again; this time the CEL is gone, engine idles smoothly. We agree that I will follow him taking smaller roads back to my home. If an issue arose, I would have honked a few times for him to stop and finalize the tow to the dealer.

As we got got close to home, he pulled into a gas station, and we parted ways, but not before I thanked him for his assistance and insight.

Curiously enough, neither the owner’s manual nor the Mercedes Me app make no mention of a flashing CEL, only a solid one.
Attached Files
Old 08-21-2019, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Certainly schedule diagnostic with your dealer - to "me" - sounds like loose gas-cap or "bad gas" but that's just my gas..... could be something more serious - so dealer to play safe.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:44 AM

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 GLE 450
engine misfire

Originally Posted by tiri
I was parked on the side of the road, nothing unusual from the norm. We get in the car, I start up the engine and I feel a lot of bucking vibrations. The CEL is blinking, so I shut the engine off.

I start it up again, and the same thing happens again. I take a video of the blinking CEL, and pop the hood.

I hear eat a lot of engine clatter, and I see the engine shaking. The CEL is no longer blinking, it is solid. I cut the ignition off.

We call the SOS button to figure out the problem, but it’s just a call Centre that dispatches tow trucks. So we agree to get a tow. My wife takes a cab home with our boys (ages 3 + 5) while I wait. 15 minutes later, CAA towing appears.

The tow truck operator was very nice. He complimented the car colour and asked if I’d had it for a week or two since mine was the first he’d seen in Montreal. I’ve had it for 5-6 weeks now and it’s the first real issue I’ve experienced.

I start up the engine and the vibration is gone. Just pure inline six smoothness. The check engine light is still present however. We discuss for a bit, I show him the video of the engine and he figures with all the electronics on board cars these days, we may be seeing more of this happening in the future.

After ten minutes of debating whether i should have him tow the car to the dealer and take a cab home after that, plus take a cab to work tomorrow, or simply drive the car home, I restart the engine again; this time the CEL is gone, engine idles smoothly. We agree that I will follow him taking smaller roads back to my home. If an issue arose, I would have honked a few times for him to stop and finalize the tow to the dealer.

As we got got close to home, he pulled into a gas station, and we parted ways, but not before I thanked him for his assistance and insight.

Curiously enough, neither the owner’s manual nor the Mercedes Me app make no mention of a flashing CEL, only a solid one.
Sounds like the same issue we had:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post7785279

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post7785520

Last edited by audi40; 08-22-2019 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:25 AM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Message Vladimir thru eBay with your VIN# and ask him to confirm his OBD module will "work".. very effective in "re-programming" the function of ECO Start/Stop..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-ca...EAAOSw2iJa-n9S
Unfortunately he is not replying. Looks like all of his listings are for MBs up to 2019. Hopefully at some point he will have plug-in solutions for 2020s.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:45 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
E-Class
Thanks for the replies.

Also, does anyone know how to change the "assistant's" name from Mercedes to something else. She tunes in alot when we dont want her too??
Hello Boxturtle,
Thanks for asking the question. We should start a pool of funds to pay a hacker to show us how to make this change. I’m quite certain that someone out there knows how to open up the code and substitute out the work “Mercedes” for something else. I want to change mine to “computer”. Maybe thats nerdy, but I like it. “Computer, turn on my heated seat” or I’ll just give my GLE a name. “Hey Sam, close the sunroof”

It can be done, we just need to find someone with the Technical skills to hack the code. I’m willing to put some $$$ into the effort.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Neil_ofTX
Hello Boxturtle,
Thanks for asking the question. We should start a pool of funds to pay a hacker to show us how to make this change. I’m quite certain that someone out there knows how to open up the code and substitute out the work “Mercedes” for something else. I want to change mine to “computer”. Maybe thats nerdy, but I like it. “Computer, turn on my heated seat” or I’ll just give my GLE a name. “Hey Sam, close the sunroof”

It can be done, we just need to find someone with the Technical skills to hack the code. I’m willing to put some $$$ into the effort.
For $80 you can buy a simple phone based program and OBD tool to make your own changes to an Audi. I searched but can’t find anything available for Mercedes. As Mercedes rolls out MBUX across more vehicles, there should be enough demand for a similar M product. I would be a buyer!
Old 08-22-2019, 10:45 AM

E-Class
Hi Ron,
Can you share the name of the product you found for Audi. We should contact them and request a product for the 2020 GLE.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 853 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Mercedes coding

Hi Ron,
Can you share the name of the product you found for Audi. We should contact them and request a product for the 2020 GLE.
Here are BMW ones - some are for diagnostics only, some support coding: https://obdstation.com/best-bmw-scan-tool/
These are Mercedes scan tools, but not sure any of them can do programming: http://www.mercedesmedic.com/best-ob...r-diagnostics/; https://scanneranswers.com/best-obd2-mercedes-scantool/
Given the complexity of this car's software, I would be hesitant of do-it-yourself programming.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Ron,
I bought from Deutschland Auto Parts;
OBD Eleven but as I recall it’s a Voltas product. My guess is that someone with inside connections is involved! You don’t need to be a coder....it’s reportedly much simpler than VAG Com and other similar products.

https://www.shopdap.com/obdelevenpro...scan-tool.html

Last edited by Ron.s; 08-22-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:31 PM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
2020 GLE
I wonder if the app is proprietary to the dongle that’s included in the purchase price. You can buy the blue tooth obd2 reader for 30 bucks on amazon (the app looks to be free). I did that with my BMW and someone had developed an app to allow for coding of different options.

Originally Posted by Ron.s
I bought from Deutschland Auto Parts;
OBD Eleven but as I recall it’s a Voltas product. My guess is that someone with inside connections is involved! You don’t need to be a coder....it’s reportedly much simpler than VAG Com and other similar products.

https://www.shopdap.com/obdelevenpro...scan-tool.html
Old 08-22-2019, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I should elaborate on the way OBD11 works. With Audi you have groups of settings that are on or off or have several options. For instance-you have 3 selections for locking; off, 1 chirp or two chirps. Display the gear the transmission is in on/off. Turn seat belt warning on/off. Some more complicated things like Lane Keep have several modules with settings to change and the Camera has to be “Parameratized”. My early build wasn’t available with Lane Keep or Traffic Signs but I was able to activate them. There seems to be a lot of Audi owners that have the desire and ability to figure things out and then post the solution. Personally I would be uncomfortable to experiment since you might screw something up.

In addition to the do-it-yourself OBD11 has preconfigured options that take credits you can buy or earn over time. Most are very inexpensive but also easy.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tinman831
I wonder if the app is proprietary to the dongle that’s included in the purchase price. You can buy the blue tooth obd2 reader for 30 bucks on amazon (the app looks to be free). I did that with my BMW and someone had developed an app to allow for coding of different options.
I don’t know the answer. You can’t make changes without the upgraded Pro Version as I recall. That version is software that list all of the modules and options in the phone App. It’s been 2 years since I used it so I may be off base.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:20 PM

E-Class
Hello All,
On another thread Philamg said "press close button quickly twice after locking and disables key,"

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post7835912

Maybe some of the Key problems people are reporting is related to Phil's comment about disabling keys. Perhaps we're pressing the buttons too fast and locking it out. It's worth looking into for those of you who continue to have key problems.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hello All,
On another thread Philamg said "press close button quickly twice after locking and disables key,"

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post7835912

Maybe some of the Key problems people are reporting is related to Phil's comment about disabling keys. Perhaps we're pressing the buttons too fast and locking it out. It's worth looking into for those of you who continue to have key problems.
Thanks Neil but it’s definitely the Fobs at least for me. Mercedes Tech Support confirmed that some have an internal switch that’s defective. After 4 bad ones I have tested mine by getting it to work and then leaving it sit for an hour. When I go to lock or unlock it fails until I shake it awake. With 4 bad Fobs I thought that it might be something in the car rather than the Fob itself.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:30 PM
DMG

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2001 G500
New issue I'm experiencing, the Voice Guidance in Navigation doesn't work. I have ensured it is on, and even when I adjust the volume, it does not give me the "navigate to route" test phrase. Any one else have this?

In addition to this I have similar issues to everyone else: 1. Car lower on exit does no stay on after shutdown. 2. Kick to open tailgate doesn't work. I don't have the key fob issue. Wonder if they'll fix these things ever.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Car lower on exit does not stay on after shutdown isn't a fault, that's how it is designed, rightly or wrongly.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Philamg
Car lower on exit does not stay on after shutdown isn't a fault, that's how it is designed, rightly or wrongly.
That’s the story now, but mine didn’t reset when I first got it. There are so many glitches-who knows what is design and what isn’t. My mirrors (fold locking) have reset to on 3 times in a month.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:30 AM

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
Funny anecdote

Yesterday, we were heading out for a family picnic, and I had my kid's godfather in the car. Wanting to show off some of the tech, I use the voice command, "Hey Mercedes."
She asks what I would like to do. "Navigate to..." She cuts me of with the driest "No," possible. Everyone started laughing and I just sat there, not impressed. My wife telling me its not just women, even the car wants to ignore me. She was in stitches. Yeah, I think Mercedes is jealous I use CarPlay more often than her.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:53 AM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
2020 GLE
When you unlock the car, does it lower again to facilitate ease of entry?
Old 08-26-2019, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Originally Posted by tinman831
When you unlock the car, does it lower again to facilitate ease of entry?
When I select lower it lowers after turning off and stays lowered after I have left and re-entered until I start the car.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 350
Originally Posted by tiri
Funny anecdote

Yesterday, we were heading out for a family picnic, and I had my kid's godfather in the car. Wanting to show off some of the tech, I use the voice command, "Hey Mercedes."
She asks what I would like to do. "Navigate to..." She cuts me of with the driest "No," possible. Everyone started laughing and I just sat there, not impressed. My wife telling me its not just women, even the car wants to ignore me. She was in stitches. Yeah, I think Mercedes is jealous I use CarPlay more often than her.
I have better luck using natural sentences like "I would like to go to....." Maybe that will help you.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Navigate to works for me.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:24 PM
DMG

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2001 G500
I’m reading the manual and it does seem like that is the design. On page 223 it says to set it you need to be driving less than 20 mph, go to home>settings>quick access, turn lower when getting in on (which is a misrepresentation of what happens) and it then lowers the car, like right then and there, not when you stop the ca. And THEN the car raises only when you start it again and drive faster than 20 mph. This part is in the table on page 220, it says entry/exit level is deactivated and the vehicle is raised when driving above 20mph. I’m besides myself as I was about to make the point that there is no way this could be the design of the feature. Well there you have it.

Separately, any one else having an issue with voice guidance not working?
The following users liked this post:
Marisa Ippoliti (06-04-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLE issues