GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 06:44 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic, 2017 GLC300
Originally Posted by tinman831
I just got back my car and the dealer said they replaced the seat leather. It looks better but there’s still one or two wrinkles in the seat. I’m curious to know exactly what they end up doing with yours.
[QUOTE=SmokinBuddha;8016054]I'm still waiting and will probably wait a little longer since everything in NY is basically shut down. My front seats and 2nd-row seat will be replaced.[/QUOTE

Post pictures guys when it’s all done so we know what it looks guys
Old 03-26-2020, 07:40 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 GLE450
Not sure if this has been brought up but does anyone have any issues with the rear vents? Both the vents from the center console and the two pillar vents. My GLE450 has the 4-zone automatic climate control and I've noticed that when the 2nd row vents are switched on, even on high, there is barely any air flow coming out of those vents (both the center console and the two air vents on both pillars). You can definitely hear the HVAC working though, especially on high, but you hear the HVAC up front though, but yet, there is little to no air flow coming out of those rear vents. Turning on the rear vents seem to somehow throw off the vents/HVAC system up front as well. Strange, don't know how to describe it. Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with the vents, particular the rear vents.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:45 PM

2020 GLE450
Originally Posted by jurijvi
Adding to the list. Brand new 2020 GLE53. Noise from the suspension, both front and back. Noise from the trunk. Noise for the A or B pillar, can't really identify. It is a "tack" sounding noise, doesn't always happen.
The car is now at the dealer for the suspension noise. On top of that, on the way to the dealer a faulty suspension message appeared on the cluster.

I'm less than impressed with this car. Looks like it is still a beta version...

PS the lane assistant is also a beta version. IMHO.
Agreed. The lane keep assistance works 5% of the time for me. I've attempted to cross the lanes or drive over the lanes, clearly visible, but the lane keep assist doesn't do anything.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2020 GLE 350
Originally Posted by jxl007
Agreed. The lane keep assistance works 5% of the time for me. I've attempted to cross the lanes or drive over the lanes, clearly visible, but the lane keep assist doesn't do anything.
I have ordered driver pack for GLE 350 as well. But keep in mind guys, "Lane Keep Assistance" is AI based, so unless they buy technology from TESLA, it will take YEARS to perfect...or useful.
Sadly, all manufactures are working on their own technology... instead of pooling resources into like 2 groups like Android & IOS. They should just license from each other.

Can you imagine if all phone manufactures use their own OS?

Hope Benz just "borrow" or license technology from TESLA?
Old 03-26-2020, 10:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML 350
I have/had lane keeping assist on a 2015 & 2018 Subaru Outback which operates using cameras on either side of the rearview mirror. The Subaru system works perfectly 99% of the time in all weather conditions.
If they can do it, there is no reason MB can't.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:33 PM

2020 GLE 350
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by GADGETEMT
I have/had lane keeping assist on a 2015 & 2018 Subaru Outback which operates using cameras on either side of the rearview mirror. The Subaru system works perfectly 99% of the time in all weather conditions.
Well, even after years of research, TESLA autopilot is still in beta. That gives clue why it takes AI to prefect. I just don't see anyway to speed up the process unless all these manufactures pool resources into single underline solution (kernel/core) & build their own GUI on top of that.

Now all that research cost will pass into the buyers... their is lot of learning needed.
Hope Google steps in, they are the best in AI technology.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Odd as it works on my car, it isn't there to keep you in a lane but to warn you if you don't.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:03 AM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
2020 GLE
Originally Posted by Philamg
Odd as it works on my car, it isn't there to keep you in a lane but to warn you if you don't.
It’s supposed to keep you in the lane but in certain circumstances.

Active Lane Keeping Assist is able to detect when the vehicle is unintentionally drifting out of its lane, to warn the driver and to guide the vehicle back on course.
Active Lane Keeping Assist intervenes, braking when the vehicle unintentionally drifts across continuous lines. In the case of broken lane marking lines, an intervention only takes place if the radar sensors detect the danger of a collision on the adjacent lane.

The system operates in the speed range from 60 to 200 km/h; it can be switched on and off; its sensitivity can be adjusted in the instrument cluster.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
It’s supposed to keep you in the lane but in certain circumstances.

It is overrided when you turn the steering wheel, at least that is what happens on mine.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:36 AM

2020 GLE
It is overrided when you turn the steering wheel, at least that is what happens on mine.
I think the system is designed that way. Any passive drift will be corrected but if you are actively steering, you can cross lanes. I know some cars will actually keep you in your lane (even if you try to force the steering wheel) unless you use the turn signal, but that seems to have more downside than upside.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
I think the system is designed that way. Any passive drift will be corrected but if you are actively steering, you can cross lanes. I know some cars will actually keep you in your lane (even if you try to force the steering wheel) unless you use the turn signal, but that seems to have more downside than upside.
Not on mine....it brakes hard at speed to correct even if I’m steering across a lane marker without using the turn signal. I have turned it off for 3 months now, it’s stupid to use the brakes to correct. Using Distronic in my GLE it corrects and guides you back into the lane just like most other systems. At 50+ MPH the correction is severe making all your passengers very nervous.😬
Old 03-27-2020, 09:31 AM

2020 GLE
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Not on mine....it brakes hard at speed to correct even if I’m steering across a lane marker without using the turn signal. I have turned it off for 3 months now, it’s stupid to use the brakes to correct. Using Distronic in my GLE it corrects and guides you back into the lane just like most other systems. At 50+ MPH the correction is severe making all your passengers very nervous.😬
In the owners manual, it does say that no corrective action happens when there’s active steering input or use of the brake/accelerator.

Are you still having issues with your Distronic braking hard randomly during parts of your commute?
Old 03-27-2020, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In the owners manual, it does say that no corrective action happens when there’s active steering input or use of the brake/accelerator.
Are you still having issues with your Distronic braking hard randomly during parts of your commute?
Not since they did the TSB update calibrating the Camera to the Radar. Distronic actually works fairly well now. I’ll turn on Active Lane and try again but I think the override requires use of a turn signal to actively steer across a lane. At lower speeds like in a parking lot it’s not active. The threshold might be 40mph as I recall.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Not since they did the TSB update calibrating the Camera to the Radar. Distronic actually works fairly well now. I’ll turn on Active Lane and try again but I think the override requires use of a turn signal to actively steer across a lane. At lower speeds like in a parking lot it’s not active. The threshold might be 40mph as I recall.
Hi Ron the post above yours says it doesn't work if you actively steer, also it only brakes if you cross a continuous white line.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:42 AM

Received 403 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by jasy000
I have ordered driver pack for GLE 350 as well. But keep in mind guys, "Lane Keep Assistance" is AI based, so unless they buy technology from TESLA, it will take YEARS to perfect...or useful.
Sadly, all manufactures are working on their own technology... instead of pooling resources into like 2 groups like Android & IOS. They should just license from each other.

Can you imagine if all phone manufactures use their own OS?

Hope Benz just "borrow" or license technology from TESLA?
Been reading the above posts, looks like there is terminology confusion. In Mercedes speak:

Lane Keeping Assist or Active Lane Keeping Assist

"Lane Keeping Assist is similar to Blind Spot Assist, but instead of detecting cars in your blind zones, it detects unintentional lane drift. By monitoring road markers, Lane Keeping Assist can tell when you’re veering from your lane without signaling and will vibrate the steering wheel to get your attention. Active Lane Keeping Assist goes further by braking individual wheels to help you stay within the road markers."

In short, Active Lane Keeping assist prevents you from running off the road or drifting into another lane, it is not active steering to keep you centered in the lane.

DISTRONIC PLUS® with Steering Assist

"DISTRONIC PLUS® is a radar-based cruise control system that adjusts your speed according to the flow of traffic. The system can reduce your speed or brake automatically if straight-ahead traffic slows or stops. Once traffic starts moving again, simply tap the screen to continue moving forward. Meanwhile, Steering Assist helps you keep your vehicle centered on straight or slightly curved roads."

On the GLE, you have to have the Driver Assist package to get Distronic Plus with Steering Assist. I have it on my GLE and it works great. However, it only actively steers when using the cruise control and you have to keep you hands on the wheel and pay attention. To change lanes, you use the turn signal and the car will actively steer to make the lane change if the lane is clear.

Bottomline, active lane keeping assist is NOT steering assist.

Last edited by TexAg91; 03-27-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:23 PM

Received 403 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Not sure if this has been brought up but does anyone have any issues with the rear vents? Both the vents from the center console and the two pillar vents. My GLE450 has the 4-zone automatic climate control and I've noticed that when the 2nd row vents are switched on, even on high, there is barely any air flow coming out of those vents (both the center console and the two air vents on both pillars). You can definitely hear the HVAC working though, especially on high, but you hear the HVAC up front though, but yet, there is little to no air flow coming out of those rear vents. Turning on the rear vents seem to somehow throw off the vents/HVAC system up front as well. Strange, don't know how to describe it. Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with the vents, particular the rear vents.
Start with the easy first, do you have the individual vent air shut off valves open? The disk under the each vent should look like an oreo cookie, otherwise the air shut off valve is closed to stop airflow.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Ron the post above yours says it doesn't work if you actively steer, also it only brakes if you cross a continuous white line.
I got it Phil, but that’s not how mine was working. Mine does brake if I actively steer across a solid line unless using the turn signal. There’s a speed (maybe below 30 or 40) that it is inactive. I have had it turned off for months so maybe a software update has changed things.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:29 PM

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE 450
I got it Phil, but that’s not how mine was working. Mine does brake if I actively steer across a solid line unless using the turn signal. There’s a speed (maybe below 30 or 40) that it is inactive. I have had it turned off for months so maybe a software update has changed things.
I would also think it depend on their definition of "active".
I have the same situation happen as Ron. When I was driving at around 35 MPH on a slight curve road to the right, I usually steer slightly to the right so the wheel touches or cross the shoulder line. The land keep assist kicks in in that situation.
So there might be a certain threshold of steering input required to not have the system kick in.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:12 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
2022 AMG GLE 53 Coupe
Exclamation UNUSUAL DISPLAY

I've noticed two issues happen more than once. (1): camera view was blank....restarted the car and problem resolved, happen only once. (2): no sound at all, radio, MBUX, phone calls, etc.....restarted the car and problem resolved...happen twice. Maybe it's a problem or a glitch. Thought I share. Otherwise, loving my GLE350!!!
Old 04-05-2020, 08:26 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic, 2017 GLC300
1. My DVD System would often not work “disk unavailable” turning player off, disk out then back in Still it says”disk unavailable” shutting the engine off for a while and turning it back on , seems to resolve the issue. It’s very glitchy

2. Big speaker in the middle of the dash , without having anything on and no phone symched to the vehicle, I would hear popping, scratching sounds. It would just come on while driving, without me touching anything. Tutoring the engine off then back on seems to resolve the issue. But then it some back on , randomly. I even recorded it with my phone and sent to to my advisor , they tried to fix it a couple of times, even sent it to MB they claimed. Still not fixed.
I just gave up dealings with the sealer on this. I have them description and even sound bytes and they are still clueless.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:07 AM

2020 GLE450
Originally Posted by GADGETEMT
Agreed. I owned a Subaru Accent for a short period of time and the lane keep assist is almost perfect. Was a bit disappointed with MB's lane keep assist.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:13 AM

2020 GLE450
Actually, when it (lane keep assist) does work on my vehicle, it does suddenly brake and correct itself, which sometimes is a bit starling due to the sudden braking.

Either way, either I steer into an open lane, attempting to cross, without the use of the signals, or accidentally start drifting close to a lane, the active lane assist doesn't always work. On my 19 Subaru, the lane keep assist keeps you in the lane, regardless, even if you try to steer to another lane. It'll only disable if you use your blinkers and switch lanes.

Like you, I pretty much have the lane keep assist turned off.

Last edited by jxl007; 04-10-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:36 PM

2020 GLE 350
You guys may want to go through these steps before taking delivery.
After delivery, checkout these locations where most problems occur & confirm their are no issues/leaks.
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...s-vds-vpc.html

Don't trust the team inspecting before delivering to dealership to check everything.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Actually, when it (lane keep assist) does work on my vehicle, it does suddenly brake and correct itself, which sometimes is a bit starling due to the sudden braking.

Either way, either I steer into an open lane, attempting to cross, without the use of the signals, or accidentally start drifting close to a lane, the active lane assist doesn't always work. On my 19 Subaru, the lane keep assist keeps you in the lane, regardless, even if you try to steer to another lane. It'll only disable if you use your blinkers and switch lanes.

Like you, I pretty much have the lane keep assist turned off.

I definitely wouldn't want it to keep me in a lane if I tried to steer to another lane.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 450
Hi everyone, I have been lucky owner of mercedes GLE until recently but couple of days ago it starting growing when turning left. It happens only when moving slowly. Dealer is struggling to diagnose the problem. Any idea?

I have recorded the noise but can’t manage to upload here

Just an update- seems that the problem was with brake pads. After replacing pads the noise is gone

Last edited by Davitd; 04-16-2020 at 01:43 PM. Reason: need to upload the video

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLE issues