MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLE Class (V167) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-v167-250/)
-   -   New GLE has different Lug bolts (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-v167/745553-new-gle-has-different-lug-bolts.html)

GregW / Oregon 05-24-2022 01:53 PM

Lug bolt

Originally Posted by IconBycon (Post 8568956)
Thank you for the info!

I was about to order, but then I was looking for the part # in Google images, it seems that it is not exactly our Lug bolt, does not have the floating collar and the beefier part next to the threads.

The images on some of the parts suppliers are generic.

Is there a way to find out the correct part # with a corresponding image?

Did you actually order these specific ones?
If yes, that would be reassuring :)

Sorry, you are correct - that is not the right one, but is the M14x1.50 for the W166. New one is M15x1.25. Online info is not complete, despite the vehicle being out for 3 years. I found this which looks to be correct: https://www.mercedesgenuineparts.com...ljLWdhcw%3D%3D. If you have a dealer nearby, best just to pick one up from them.

Ron.s 05-24-2022 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by IconBycon (Post 8568746)
What is the OEM part # for the silver ones (NOT Black)?
I'd like to have some spares.

I’m not sure why you need a spare lug bolt, the stock are very well built. Anyone with a set of wheel locks already has 4 spare so that might be a source.
The best way to get an exact match is to order through your Dealer. They use your VIN lookup and will match exact OEM parts from your specific VIN.

GregW / Oregon 05-25-2022 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ron.s (Post 8569095)
I’m not sure why you need a spare lug bolt, the stock are very well built. Anyone with a set of wheel locks already has 4 spare so that might be a source.
The best way to get an exact match is to order through your Dealer. They use your VIN lookup and will match exact OEM parts from your specific VIN.

Good advice, however, AFAIK, all V167 & X167 lug bolts are the same, excepting for the spare.

Ron.s 05-25-2022 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon (Post 8569435)
Good advice, however, AFAIK, all V167 & X167 lug bolts are the same, excepting for the spare.

True except for there are two…silver and black. Using the VIN eliminates the possibility of getting them from another model. My dealer uses VIN lookup for all parts orders since most customers won’t have a PN.

Going_Slow 05-27-2022 04:39 AM

I'm a UK noob to the forum and own a GLE580.
This is a great thread (kudos to GregW 👍) - having struggled to swap my summer wheels for the winter ones 😖 I'm keen to buy a couple of these wheel alignment tools.
It seems the website "reverselogic.us" is no longer available - at least I can't access it from the UK. When I try and connect I get an Error 502 on a redirect to "www.steelmantools.com"
Just wondering if this is because I'm in the UK - has anyone else had this problem? Any advice would be appreciated !

GregW / Oregon 05-27-2022 10:30 AM

Wheel hanger / guide tool

Originally Posted by Going_Slow (Post 8570516)
I'm a UK noob to the forum and own a GLE580.
This is a great thread (kudos to GregW 👍) - having struggled to swap my summer wheels for the winter ones 😖 I'm keen to buy a couple of these wheel alignment tools.
It seems the website "reverselogic.us" is no longer available - at least I can't access it from the UK. When I try and connect I get an Error 502 on a redirect to "www.steelmantools.com"
Just wondering if this is because I'm in the UK - has anyone else had this problem? Any advice would be appreciated !

Frederick Gwinn, the Reverse Logic owner, sold his business to the Nevada specialty tool company, Steelman, last year after a health issue. You can find the tool here: https://www.steelmantools.com/stainl...lug-guide-tool

Going_Slow 05-27-2022 11:45 AM

Thanks for the quick response, Greg.
Now I have the complete URL I can access the page for the tool 😊

IconBycon 06-17-2022 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by IconBycon (Post 8568956)
Thank you for the info!

I was about to order, but then I was looking for the part # in Google images, it seems that it is not exactly our Lug bolt, does not have the floating collar and the beefier part next to the threads.

The images on some of the parts suppliers are generic.

Is there a way to find out the correct part # with a corresponding image?

Did you actually order these specific ones?
If yes, that would be reassuring :)

I wanted to follow-up if anyone is interested in the future as well.

The MB part number is: A0009904518, for the silver OEM ones.

BTW, I ordered spares because the dealership over tighten them when the car was in B service,

and it was impossible to remove with my Makita Impact Wrench.

The bit was split in half and the bolt was stripped and unusable with the “flower” bits.

I did not ask them to check the bolts, they just did it as part of the routine, I guess.

I had to use the original MB from the trunk with a long breaker on it, and a mallet to push it in, and then remove the bolt.

With that said, I though that investing $30 to have 10 spares is well worth it for peace of mind, so I don’t need to wait

for it when I need it now.

When I change my tires to Winter/Summer I use a torque wrench and work with precision tools with no issues.

Thanks again to Greg for all the original guidance on purchasing the right tools, the dual bolt guides are life savers 😊

GregW / Oregon 06-18-2022 05:13 PM

Flower head bolt removal

Originally Posted by IconBycon (Post 8582023)
BTW, I ordered spares because the dealership over tighten them when the car was in B service, and it was impossible to remove with my Makita Impact Wrench.
The bit was split in half and the bolt was stripped and unusable with the “flower” bits. I had to use the original MB from the trunk with a long breaker on it, and a mallet to push it in, and then remove the bolt. When I change my tires to Winter/Summer I use a torque wrench and work with precision tools with no issues.

By "bit" do you mean "socket?" Do you have a quality flower head socket? If not: https://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/...oducts_id=8303 Do not use this with a heavy duty torque wrench. They do have a heavy duty one as well designed for deformed heads, which is what you described: https://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/...oducts_id=8305. Never use a standard hex socket on the flower head bolts.

Thanks again to Greg for all the original guidance on purchasing the right tools, the dual bolt guides are life savers 😊[/QUOTE]

IconBycon 06-18-2022 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon (Post 8582580)
By "bit" do you mean "socket?" Do you have a quality flower head socket? If not: https://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/...oducts_id=8303 Do not use this with a heavy duty torque wrench. They do have a heavy duty one as well designed for deformed heads, which is what you described: https://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/...oducts_id=8305. Never use a standard hex socket on the flower head bolts.

Thanks again to Greg for all the original guidance on purchasing the right tools, the dual bolt guides are life savers 😊

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I mean socket :)

This is the exact one that split, I ordered it based on your recommendation with the guides.

The dealership tightened the bolts so hard that they deformed to an extent that it was impossible to fit any flower head socket. The MB hex one did the trick with huge amount of force and efforts using a long heavy duty breaker extender.
It's not supposed to be a big effort to extract the bolts.

I only use flower sockets on these bolts and do everything by the book with no issues. But when a 3rd party does its thing, things can go south.

GregW / Oregon 06-19-2022 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by IconBycon (Post 8582640)

Yes, I mean socket :)

This is the exact one that split, I ordered it based on your recommendation with the guides.

The dealership tightened the bolts so hard that they deformed to an extent that it was impossible to fit any flower head socket. The MB hex one did the trick with huge amount of force and efforts using a long heavy duty breaker extender.
It's not supposed to be a big effort to extract the bolts.

I only use flower sockets on these bolts and do everything by the book with no issues. But when a 3rd party does its thing, things can go south.

Dealer obviously used their high torque impact wrench inappropriately; laziness. I manually loosen and tighten the lugs, and only use a low torque setting with my impact wrench to run them in and out. My socket has held up well doing that.

2Ruf 06-20-2022 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by IconBycon (Post 8582023)

The MB part number is: A0009904518, for the silver OEM ones.

BTW, I ordered spares because the dealership over tighten them when the car was in B service,

and it was impossible to remove with my Makita Impact Wrench.

The bit was split in half and the bolt was stripped and unusable with the “flower” bits.

I did not ask them to check the bolts, they just did it as part of the routine, I guess.

The dealership should be rotating the tires with each service, also need to remove the wheels to check the condition of the brake pads.
Going in for my 1st Service A next month.... hopefully I don't have any issues when they return it to me.

Got a wheel hanger after the 1st time working on my BMW 10 yrs ago. I'm not trying to wrestle a 20 inch wheel package, so I got 2 for the GLE.

GregW / Oregon 06-20-2022 05:55 PM

Tire rotation

Originally Posted by 2Ruf (Post 8583658)
The dealership should be rotating the tires with each service, also need to remove the wheels to check the condition of the brake pads.
Going in for my 1st Service A next month.... hopefully I don't have any issues when they return it to me.

Your 20" wheels have different offsets in front and rear, so the only way to rotate is to remove and remount the tires. I doubt the dealer is going to do that, or is the do, it's going to be expensive.

Vili213 10-08-2023 08:26 AM

Lugz

Hi all bringing this amazing thread back to life. Greg wow very informative.

have any more manufacturers started making and selling the bolts? Last source here is Fastcousa.com

what part # on their website?

im not sure i feel comfortable doing any of this on my wifes GLE she drives our kids in it. I think I should just eat the loss on the wheels and sell them.

Ron.s 10-08-2023 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Vili213 (Post 8858270)
Hi all bringing this amazing thread back to life. Greg wow very informative.

have any more manufacturers started making and selling the bolts? Last source here is Fastcousa.com

what part # on their website?
im not sure i feel comfortable doing any of this on my wifes GLE she drives our kids in it. I think I should just eat the loss on the wheels and sell them.

Tire Rack supplies the correct lug bolts with orders from them. I found two suppliers with different length bolts 3 years ago…Amazon had them. There’s nothing wrong with aftermarket bolts unless maybe you are racing weekends on the Track…that few would ever do. Mercedes bumped up to 15mm, Porsche still uses 14mm bolts.
From your post it’s not clear if you have older OEM wheels (ball seat) or Aftermarket (conical seat) or what vehicle you are putting them on? It’s OK to be cautious but don’t overthink the bolt issue.

Vili213 10-08-2023 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ron.s (Post 8858277)
Tire Rack supplies the correct lug bolts with orders from them. I found two suppliers with different length bolts 3 years ago…Amazon had them. There’s nothing wrong with aftermarket bolts unless maybe you are racing weekends on the Track…that few would ever do. Mercedes bumped up to 15mm, Porsche still uses 14mm bolts.
From your post it’s not clear if you have older OEM wheels (ball seat) or Aftermarket (conical seat) or what vehicle you are putting them on? It’s OK to be cautious but don’t overthink the bolt issue.

Thanks for your reply.

My car is the 2020 GLE 450

I believe the wheels I want to put up are the identical wheels original Poster "GregW" created.

Here is the picture of the weels ( Not ones at back those are my E class.)

Do you have link/part number from TireRack?

Thanks again

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...4fcab92363.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...87299c32d3.jpg

Ron.s 10-08-2023 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Vili213 (Post 8858279)
Thanks for your reply.

My car is the 2020 GLE 450

I believe the wheels I want to put up are the identical wheels original Poster "GregW" created.

Here is the picture of the weels ( Not ones at back those are my E class.)

Do you have link/part number from TireRack?
Thanks again

The Tire Rack bolts are for Conical aftermarket wheels. You have Factory wheels with a ball seat. As I recall, Greg drilled his wheels for the 15mm bolt and had some custom made.
The proper bolt length may or may not be the issue. You might need a longer bolt than the one on your vehicle. I believe that those wheels should be able to accept the non OEM lug bolts.. An aftermarket bolt doesn’t have the bulge of the factory bolt and should fit through your wheel without drilling. Factory bolt is M15x1.25 48mm length. Greg needed M15x1.25 57mm length…+/- 3mm should be OK. You should be able to find longer bolts now since they are making them for offset kits. You might try a search for M15x1.25 ball seat bolts and then check the bolt length measured from the tip to the top of the taper. If that doesn’t work search for 1/2” offset kit for a 2020 GLE 450 and look for bolts included at 54-60 mm.
If I get some time tonight I’ll see what I can find.
The other consideration is the age of your old tires, maybe you just want to use the wheels and buy new tires? A new tire and wheel set might be a better long run solution if you are keeping the car for 3+ years.

Vili213 10-08-2023 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ron.s (Post 8858296)
The Tire Rack bolts are for Conical aftermarket wheels. You have Factory wheels with a ball seat. As I recall, Greg drilled his wheels for the 15mm bolt and had some custom made.
The proper bolt length may or may not be the issue. You might need a longer bolt than the one on your vehicle. I believe that those wheels should be able to accept the non OEM lug bolts.. An aftermarket bolt doesn’t have the bulge of the factory bolt and should fit through your wheel without drilling. Factory bolt is M15x1.25 48mm length. Greg needed M15x1.25 57mm length…+/- 3mm should be OK. You should be able to find longer bolts now since they are making them for offset kits. You might try a search for M15x1.25 ball seat bolts and then check the bolt length measured from the tip to the top of the taper. If that doesn’t work search for 1/2” offset kit for a 2020 GLE 450 and look for bolts included at 54-60 mm.
If I get some time tonight I’ll see what I can find.
The other consideration is the age of your old tires, maybe you just want to use the wheels and buy new tires? A new tire and wheel set might be a better long run solution if you are keeping the car for 3+ years.

Very informative. Yes the tires are finished. I have new ones. Was hoping to use the wheels at least. If I can't find a solution then yes new wheel/tire is my only option.. I don't like aftermarket and prefer OEM always to maintain the same ride quality etc..

We have lots of rims shops here Ontario, i will call a few and see fi they hav eM15x1.25 ball seat bolts in the 54-60mm range.

Vili213 10-08-2023 09:56 AM

Would these work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16597693633...3ABFBM8uuS-eFi

GregW / Oregon 10-08-2023 04:05 PM

Adapting W166 wheels to V167

Originally Posted by Vili213 (Post 8858299)

Those should work fine with 12mm spacers for the rear. For the front without spacers you need 45-48mm length, which I also see in that section. Without the OEM bulge they may fit fine in the stock lug holes of those wheels. You need to measure with a caliper to be sure.

Vili213 10-10-2023 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon (Post 8858425)
Those should work fine with 12mm spacers for the rear. For the front without spacers you need 45-48mm length, which I also see in that section. Without the OEM bulge they may fit fine in the stock lug holes of those wheels. You need to measure with a caliper to be sure.

Thanks Greg,

You used 19/32 drill bit to widen the holes on the rims? I have nothing to loose with these wheels, I'm just going to give this a shot. Worst case new rims. and in the future wiser decisions..

GregW / Oregon 10-10-2023 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Vili213 (Post 8859364)
Thanks Greg,

You used 19/32 drill bit to widen the holes on the rims? I have nothing to loose with these wheels, I'm just going to give this a shot. Worst case new rims. and in the future wiser decisions..

Drilled with Drilled with 19/32" (0.594") followed by 39/64" (0.609"). Mercedes lug bolts have a "bulge" that retains the seat that measures 0.606". When drilling by hand it's best to step up in size as gradually as possible.

Vili213 10-10-2023 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon (Post 8859481)
Drilled with Drilled with 19/32" (0.594") followed by 39/64" (0.609"). Mercedes lug bolts have a "bulge" that retains the seat that measures 0.606". When drilling by hand it's best to step up in size as gradually as possible.

Makes sense but I'm having a bigger problem now finding the 2 12mm spacers and the 15x1.25mm60 nuts.

anyone know any sources?

GregW / Oregon 10-10-2023 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Vili213 (Post 8859483)
Makes sense but I'm having a bigger problem now finding the 2 12mm spacers and the 15x1.25mm60 nuts.

anyone know any sources?

I have an extra 10 new extended length titanium lug bolts I would sell. PM me.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...09cb34883b.jpg