GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Trailer hitch for bike rack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 02:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A220
Trailer hitch for bike rack

I want to use my bike rack that fits into the trailer hitch slot of my current SUV. Do I need to order the "towing package" or is there a socket (sorry, I don't know the proper terms) by default? I didn't notice one so I assumed I needed the towing package. I'm also uncertain because I watched a video and saw something automatically pivot from beneath the car with the towing ball there. Is that removable so I can install my bike rack?
Old 06-01-2019, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350, BMW E70
You will need the installed MB trailer hitch.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:11 PM

A220
Is that the towing package or something different?
Old 06-02-2019, 06:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLE v167
Yes sadly, you need the Towing package. Ordered it for the same reason, delivery Oct/nov.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Bike rack mounting

Originally Posted by Roger8
I want to use my bike rack that fits into the trailer hitch slot of my current SUV. Do I need to order the "towing package" or is there a socket (sorry, I don't know the proper terms) by default? I didn't notice one so I assumed I needed the towing package. I'm also uncertain because I watched a video and saw something automatically pivot from beneath the car with the towing ball there. Is that removable so I can install my bike rack?
You don't list where you are, but the pivoting type is European. North America gets a "receiver type" hitch which is part of the towing package.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:11 PM

A220
Thanks, that helps. I'm in the US so that clarifies things.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:39 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
If all you are going to do is use it for a bike rack. I recommend the Stealth hitch. It is totally hidden until you use it. You do not need the electrical connectors. Its probably cheaper than the Mercedes Trail hitch especially if you get it dealer installed. Either go for an after make like Stealth hitch or order the Mercedes hitch from the factory.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hitch for rack

Originally Posted by Isawelvis
If all you are going to do is use it for a bike rack. I recommend the Stealth hitch. It is totally hidden until you use it. You do not need the electrical connectors. Its probably cheaper than the Mercedes Trail hitch especially if you get it dealer installed. Either go for an after make like Stealth hitch or order the Mercedes hitch from the factory.
The factory option is less expensive and better (unless you are doing a retrofit), especially for an SUV where a hitch does not look out of place.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
For a 2020 GLE - as of today - the factory mounted trailer hitch I think is the ONLY option at the moment.

The two major aftermarket trailer hitch companies - Curt Mfg and Drawtite - each has not completed their engineering for a 2020 hitch yet (last time I checked) - which requires them to get a 2020 GLE on hand and design and test fit a new hitch design for this new yr/model/generation. Same with Stealth - same boat.

MB dealer's are not really plugged into any of the aftermarket hitch guys - UHaul is plugged into Curt and Drawtite as a nationwide customer but not plugged into the engineering side of either hitch manufacturer.

Curt/Drawtite/Stealth rely on maybe a half-dozen strong independent hitch installers across the country to get a request to measure/test-fit - and with low GLE#'s to date I don't think much if anything has started up on that side yet.

Best of what I think I know - as of today
Old 06-06-2019, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
For a 2020 GLE - as of today - the factory mounted trailer hitch I think is the ONLY option at the moment.

The two major aftermarket trailer hitch companies - Curt Mfg and Drawtite - each has not completed their engineering for a 2020 hitch yet (last time I checked) - which requires them to get a 2020 GLE on hand and design and test fit a new hitch design for this new yr/model/generation. Same with Stealth - same boat.

MB dealer's are not really plugged into any of the aftermarket hitch guys - UHaul is plugged into Curt and Drawtite as a nationwide customer but not plugged into the engineering side of either hitch manufacturer.

Curt/Drawtite/Stealth rely on maybe a half-dozen strong independent hitch installers across the country to get a request to measure/test-fit - and with low GLE#'s to date I don't think much if anything has started up on that side yet.

Best of what I think I know - as of today
Pretty much the same across the board. Most aftermarket mfrs. don’t even know they’ve gone to 15mm lug bolts. The downside of us early adopters, I guess.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:08 AM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
I wish I would have ordered the Trailer Hitch add-on now, I think it would be helpful to have for protecting the rear of the vehicle, especially parking in NYC.
Since I will be visiting Parts on Monday to pickup wheel locks, I will check as to whether it could be added.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
'14 E550, '14 911 C4S Cab, '12 ML350
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
The factory option is less expensive and better (unless you are doing a retrofit), especially for an SUV where a hitch does not look out of place.
I couldn't agree more - this is not a sports car. We've towed trailers several times with our current ML and the 2020 GLE has even more capability. In my opinion, having the factory installed ability to tow is essential to the utility of this SUV.