GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Place the Key in the Marked Space See Operator's Manual

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 10:29 PM

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
2024 GLE 580
Place the Key in the Marked Space See Operator's Manual

Can someone help me with this? I'm seeing this message now and again and not sure where I'm supposed to place the key. I looked at manual but the image isn't clear. I do have like a little ledge in the front of the arm rest storage area but I can't find any hole to INSERT my key?
Old 06-01-2020, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by bkushner
Can someone help me with this? I'm seeing this message now and again and not sure where I'm supposed to place the key. I looked at manual but the image isn't clear. I do have like a little ledge in the front of the arm rest storage area but I can't find any hole to INSERT my key?
Do you leave the key in the car overnight? If so, the message is because the key goes to sleep after a timeout for security and to extend the battery life. It wakes up when it's moved. If you carry the key in a pocket or purse it will be awake when you enter the car. If it's been sitting in the car, it will be asleep. The car will wake the key when you start it, but that handshake takes a few seconds and while it's waking the car thinks the key may have a dead battery, so it puts up that message. (The spot in the console is an area with an NFC chip reader that will verify the key even if its battery is dead. There is no hole, but you only need to do this if the key battery is dead. Normally the car verifies the key over a radio channel.)

The short answer: if you leave the key in the car overnight, give it a tiny shake before you start the car. That will wake the key instantly and you'll never see the message nor experience a starting delay.
The following users liked this post:
PGKSTL (09-18-2021)
Old 06-01-2020, 05:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Also if you have left the car open and get in the key may not have woke up, if you have to unlock the car it will be awake and the car will not give the message. This happened to me when I received my car, it was open in the dealership and after completing the paperwork we got in and had the message, didn't know at the time that the awaken facility on the fob wasn't sensitive enough.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,191 Likes on 858 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
"Marked spot"

Originally Posted by bkushner