MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLE Class (V167) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-v167-250/)
-   -   GLE 580 Forum (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-v167/810291-gle-580-forum.html)

TheOtherDodge 03-24-2021 06:16 AM

GLE 580 Forum

Hi all! We are in the process of purchasing a GLE 580. Are there specific forums for that make? I see everything else (350,450,53,63 ). Thanks!

soso 03-24-2021 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by TheOtherDodge (Post 8299891)
I see everything else (350,450,53,63 ).

That's because they are like unicorns, only a few have seen/touched them. There are 2-3 members here that have a 580.

TheOtherDodge 03-24-2021 06:32 AM

Ya I never heard of them until we started shopping for an E Class. We currently have a 2018 GLC63. It is a great SUV but wife wanted one more "luxurious" and "girly" as this is her car. She said the AMG is more of "my" type of car. We test drove the 350, 450 and 53 and she wanted more power! Thus, the 580, which is best of both worlds!

Retired@52 03-24-2021 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by TheOtherDodge (Post 8299891)
Hi all! We are in the process of purchasing a GLE 580. Are there specific forums for that make? I see everything else (350,450,53,63 ). Thanks!

No specific forum, but welcome to the 580 club 😃. I’m a proud owner of one of these unicorns as the poster below calls them lol. I love mine so far, only about 2,500 miles on the clock thanks to Covid and retirement, but so far so good. Love the V8 power and sound.

TheOtherDodge 03-24-2021 08:34 PM

People don't realize that the 580 is a compromise between luxury and decent power. The AMG's rode just a little to harsh and were too loud for my wife. And this 580 will spank a GLE53!

Retired@52 03-24-2021 09:27 PM

I never considered the 53 since I wouldn’t want to deal with the stigma of it not being a “real” AMG. I had a 2018 BMW M550i (V8-456 HP) and always felt self-conscious that while it had an “M” badge, it wasn’t a true M car. Unfortunately, the AMG GLE 63s was too rich for my blood, so the 580 was the next best alternative in my view. I had also become accustomed to the power and sound of a V8.

tomb73 03-24-2021 09:32 PM

Have one on order, theoretically a May build and June delivery. Hard to find, especially if you don't want some of the features the dealers load them up with... But was able to locate a dealer who had that May date, and we could tweak the config... Had an ML550 years ago, and that engine was a dream, hoping the 580 will meet that expectation. Will see what transpires. Biggest complication with the 580 is it is so rare that there is not much room for negotiation... Sigh.

ENCT 03-26-2021 08:36 AM

My wife has a 2021 GLE580 and loves it. I have fun driving it as well. I agree with the cross between luxury and performance. We ordered our so it has what we wanted.

BACnMercedes 03-26-2021 10:42 AM

Great car (other than that grill). It doesn’t have the harsh ride of an AMG nor the sound (I’m old and don’t want to hear it, plus my wife already has an AMG rocket) but has great V8 power .................................when it works.
Good luck.

digital_b 03-26-2021 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by TheOtherDodge (Post 8300472)
People don't realize that the 580 is a compromise between luxury and decent power. The AMG's rode just a little to harsh and were too loud for my wife. And this 580 will spank a GLE53!

a vw t-rok will spank a GLE 53. dont believe it? mat watson has a video proving it.

BACnMercedes 03-26-2021 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by digital_b (Post 8301593)
a vw t-rok will spank a GLE 53.

Yeah, but look at it. It’s not easy to do.

TheOtherDodge 05-13-2021 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by BACnMercedes (Post 8301458)
Great car (other than that grill). It doesn’t have the harsh ride of an AMG nor the sound (I’m old and don’t want to hear it, plus my wife already has an AMG rocket) but has great V8 power .................................when it works.
Good luck.

What is wrong with the grill (if you get this one) like the one we got? But yes, the others with the 2 veridical lines doesn't do it for me. We also have the 21" AMG rims. The only thing I wish it had (appearance-wise) is the AMG tips. The current tips are the same as the 350/450.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...443e29ab02.jpg

TheOtherDodge 05-13-2021 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Retired@52 (Post 8300511)
I never considered the 53 since I wouldn’t want to deal with the stigma of it not being a “real” AMG. I had a 2018 BMW M550i (V8-456 HP) and always felt self-conscious that while it had an “M” badge, it wasn’t a true M car. Unfortunately, the AMG GLE 63s was too rich for my blood, so the 580 was the next best alternative in my view. I had also become accustomed to the power and sound of a V8.

Yes, the price was a bit much, but to be honest, had it rode better, like the 580 we would have got one. We previously had a GLC63 and even in "comfort" mode it was harsh. Hard to understand with electronic ride control, they can't make a more "comfort" setting. But hey, it saved us about $20k!

BACnMercedes 05-13-2021 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by TheOtherDodge (Post 8335567)
What is wrong with the grill (if you get this one) like the one we got? But yes, the others with the 2 veridical lines doesn't do it for me. We also have the 21" AMG rims. The only thing I wish it had (appearance-wise) is the AMG tips. The current tips are the same as the 350/450.

I don’t like all the flashy, shiny diamonds. I just don’t think it looks good on a dark colored car. If they made a black out on it like you can get on the c classes it would be much better. If I stay with a replacement 580 I will swap the diamond one out for the vertical lines AMG version.

TheOtherDodge 05-13-2021 04:08 PM

Yes, makes sense with an all black vehicle. And yes, I do like the AMG grill better!

mikapen 05-13-2021 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by TheOtherDodge (Post 8335569)
Yes, the price was a bit much, but to be honest, had it rode better, like the 580 we would have got one. We previously had a GLC63 and even in "comfort" mode it was harsh. Hard to understand with electronic ride control, they can't make a more "comfort" setting. But hey, it saved us about $20k!

You ought to drive a current V or X167 AMG. Worlds better ride quality and better handling to boot. Than add the ARC and it's better yet.
Better chassis, which allows a more supple suspension.

TheOtherDodge 05-13-2021 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by mikapen (Post 8335640)
You ought to drive a current V or X167 AMG. Worlds better ride quality and better handling to boot. Than add the ARC and it's better yet.
Better chassis, which allows a more supple suspension.

The S-Class is too big for what we need. I have looed at a V (if referring to Caddy) and they just don't do much for me.

Ron.s 05-13-2021 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by TheOtherDodge (Post 8335569)

My GLE 53 rides great with the ARC suspension. Comparable to my GLE 450 in S mode suspension. In my 2020 GLE 450, I set my I mode to C except the suspension set to S. I thought that the C mode suspension was too soft & “boaty”, even bottomed out going over a traffic berm. I have 21’s on the 53 so maybe the 22’s would be harsher but I doubt it.
As far as the BS that a 53 isn’t a real AMG, one should check the specs. With the ARC option, they can be configured almost identical except for a few options like Carbon Fiber under the hood and the V8 engine. Most people would think the 53 was a V8 because the of the low end Torque. EQ Boost and the Electric Turbo/Compressor make this a completely different car from the 43. It would be even better with the 580 V8 plus the Electric Turbo added. EQ Boost helped reduce Turbo lag but the added Electric Turbo virtually eliminates lag. There is also the added benefit that it spools back quickly if you let off the throttle coasting. Don’t knock it unless you’ve tried it, IMO.

TheOtherDodge 05-13-2021 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ron.s (Post 8335719)
My GLE 53 rides great with the ARC suspension. Comparable to my GLE 450 in S mode suspension. In my 2020 GLE 450, I set my I mode to C except the suspension set to S. I thought that the C mode suspension was too soft & “boaty”, even bottomed out going over a traffic berm. I have 21’s on the 53 so maybe the 22’s would be harsher but I doubt it.
As far as the BS that a 53 isn’t a real AMG, one should check the specs. With the ARC option, they can be configured almost identical except for a few options like Carbon Fiber under the hood and the V8 engine. Most people would think the 53 was a V8 because the of the low end Torque. EQ Boost and the Electric Turbo/Compressor make this a completely different car from the 43. It would be even better with the 580 V8 plus the Electric Turbo added. EQ Boost helped reduce Turbo lag but the added Electric Turbo virtually eliminates lag. There is also the added benefit that it spools back quickly if you let off the throttle coasting. Don’t knock it unless you’ve tried it, IMO.

We test drove the 53 and didn't like it at all (but to each his own). The most "comfort" mode was harsher than the "sportiest" mode of our 580. We also didn't like the 6 cylinder sound. And the power is just not there. Our 580 has the biturbo 4.0 with the hybrid electric starter/generator that makes 483 hp and 526 lbs of tq. I do like the appearance!

Ron.s 05-13-2021 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by TheOtherDodge (Post 8335728)
We test drove the 53 and didn't like it at all (but to each his own). The most "comfort" mode was harsher than the "sportiest" mode of our 580. We also didn't like the 6 cylinder sound. And the power is just not there. Our 580 has the biturbo 4.0 with the hybrid electric starter/generator that makes 483 hp and 526 lbs of tq. I do like the appearance!

I’m guessing the car you drove didn’t have the AMG Dynamic Plus pkg. It’s a $5200 option that most Dealers don’t order for inventory vehicles to hold down price. Another comfort factor is the tire pressure that comes set to the Max load/towing of 46/45 psi. At 38/35 (normal) it’s a different ride. I complained about the harsh ride also but after the first 1,000 miles and after reducing the tire pressure mine is just right. The jolt from sharp bumps is softened by the active sway bar.
Like you said...to each his own. I started to order a 580 but changed to the 53 because of the improved handling and looks vs the V8 & a car like I already owned. Mine is so quiet I rarely hear any engine noise except when using the paddle shifter to decelerate. I don’t know why they don’t put the 580 V8 in an AMG and call it a 53S or 63. This probably won’t ever happen now that they are moving to the high performance AMG hybrids.

Retired@52 05-13-2021 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ron.s (Post 8335719)

My comment about the 53 not being a real AMG was only referring to the fact that true AMG’s have the hand built engines and are assembled in Germany, whereas the “AMG enhanced” versions, such as the 53, have add on parts and tweaks and are assembled in Alabama. IMHO they just don’t have the cache or gravitas of full on AMG models, where you say “Wow” when you see one. They are more of a marketing sub-model designed to increase sales and profits and fill a niche.

Ron.s 05-13-2021 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Retired@52 (Post 8335790)
My comment about the 53 not being a real AMG was only referring to the fact that true AMG’s have the hand built engines and are assembled in Germany, whereas the “AMG enhanced” versions, such as the 53, have add on parts and tweaks and are assembled in Alabama. IMHO they just don’t have the cache or gravitas of full on AMG models, where you say “Wow” when you see one. They are more of a marketing sub-model designed to increase sales and profits and fill a niche.

I get the point but they are both built in Vance and basically the only difference in 2021 is the engine if you option the 53 with a few items standard on the 63S. They will look the same except for the badging and rear diffuser. You can add A few things to the 63S like the expensive Ceramic brakes that most 63 S models won’t have anyway. I really don’t get the Gravitas bit but that’s just me. I doubt many onlookers will say “Wow” because of a hand built engine under the hood. Things have changed since the GLE 43 that was a marketing ploy, IMO.

BenjaminKohl 05-13-2021 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by TheOtherDodge (Post 8335648)
The S-Class is too big for what we need. I have looed at a V (if referring to Caddy) and they just don't do much for me.

Small clarification - the V167 and X167 he referred to are the chassis codes for the current gen GLE and GLS, not the S Class or any Cadillac. Obviously the GLS is too big for you and you did try out a GLE AMG and find it too stiff, though

TheOtherDodge 05-14-2021 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by BenjaminKohl (Post 8335816)
Small clarification - the V167 and X167 he referred to are the chassis codes for the current gen GLE and GLS, not the S Class or any Cadillac. Obviously the GLS is too big for you and you did try out a GLE AMG and find it too stiff, though

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

TheOtherDodge 05-14-2021 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ron.s (Post 8335746)
I’m guessing the car you drove didn’t have the AMG Dynamic Plus pkg. It’s a $5200 option that most Dealers don’t order for inventory vehicles to hold down price. Another comfort factor is the tire pressure that comes set to the Max load/towing of 46/45 psi. At 38/35 (normal) it’s a different ride. I complained about the harsh ride also but after the first 1,000 miles and after reducing the tire pressure mine is just right. The jolt from sharp bumps is softened by the active sway bar.
Like you said...to each his own. I started to order a 580 but changed to the 53 because of the improved handling and looks vs the V8 & a car like I already owned. Mine is so quiet I rarely hear any engine noise except when using the paddle shifter to decelerate. I don’t know why they don’t put the 580 V8 in an AMG and call it a 53S or 63. This probably won’t ever happen now that they are moving to the high performance AMG hybrids.

I completely understand why you got the 53. Mercedes was smart to build them for those that want a little more power/handling and styling than a non-AMG. But like many others, Having owned 2 AMG's (E55 and GLC63) I wish they would have given it a different name, and not the AMG line. I am suprised they put the 4.0 biturbo in the 580 and left it as a "non-AMG". I like the power and the wife likes the comfort! win-win!