MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLE Class (V167) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-v167-250/)
-   -   New Windshield (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-v167/870929-new-windshield.html)

BlueYonder 07-29-2023 12:06 PM

New Windshield

Took a rock from a Circus Truck leaving a 6 inch crack in my windshield. Any opinions on Safelite vs the dealership? I kind of suspect the dealer will send it out to Safelite anyways. I have the HUD and Safelite says I can expect a Mercedes original windshield. I plan on checking with the dealer on Monday.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e7ec8847d.jpeg

mercedesmax 07-29-2023 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by BlueYonder (Post 8822230)
Took a rock from a Circus Truck leaving a 6 inch crack in my windshield. Any opinions on Safelite vs the dealership? I kind of suspect the dealer will send it out to Safelite anyways. I have the HUD and Safelite says I can expect a Mercedes original windshield. I plan on checking with the dealer on Monday.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e7ec8847d.jpeg

Just deal with Safelite. Dealership doesn't replace windshields.

mikapen 07-29-2023 03:30 PM

My dealer uses their body shop for window installation, then takes it to the shop to calibrate cameras and sensors.
I think that's the best route.

Once I saved $250 compared to Safelite (Benz Club discount} and another time it cost me $70 above Safelite's price.

Make sure you get the Daimler sticker in the right lower corner!

BlueYonder 07-29-2023 05:51 PM

Thanks, my one concern is whether or not Safelite knows how to deal with the cameras and sensors. My insurance covers it all except for a $50.00 deductible.

mikapen 07-29-2023 06:45 PM

I took a rock in the lower right quarter of the windshield, and it split into a big 'Y' that spread 6 to 8" in each direction, including down to the edge of the glass.

While deciding what to do, I watched some YouTubes and decided to try Rain-X windshield repair. Not only did it stop the spread, but it filled the chip and made the rest of the crack virtually invisible except for the bottom two inches.

Rain-X 600001 Windshield Repair Kit - Quick And Easy Durable Resin Based Kit for Chips and Cracks, Good For Round Damage Below 1" In Diameter And Cracks Smaller Than 12" In Length, BLUE,YELLOW https://a.co/d/fJGGR0u

At time I had just had my windshield replaced and it had no sand rash, so I figured it if it could get me through another winter of sanding season, I'd get it replaced in the spring.
It worked a lot better than expected and I keep forgetting that I have a crack.

Ron.s 07-29-2023 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by BlueYonder (Post 8822230)

I did Safelight replacement a little over a year ago. My first bad experience. They put in OEM Mercedes glass but delivered my car with glue all over the hood. I didn’t notice because they also couldn’t calibrate the camera as promised…I waited 45 minutes after a call to come pick it up.

I took it back and the Manager and tried to convince that it was tree sap. Typical deal…good company crappy local staff! Price doesn’t matter if you have an insurance deductible.

toban 07-29-2023 10:43 PM

I just had a windshield replaced. It was a MB authorized Collision Center right next to the dealer.

They told me with all OEM Mercedes windshields, they are self calibrating. All sensors and systems worked as expected. And Yes, that's exactly what happened as I was there when it was done. I was impressed and they did a great installation. The cost wasn't cheap. The windshield was $3000.00 plus extras and labour and taxes came to $4500.00.

This was in Canada. Insurance company was having a bird on the cost.

Toban

mikapen 07-29-2023 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by toban (Post 8822482)
I just had a windshield replaced. It was a MB authorized Collision Center right next to the dealer.

They told me with all OEM Mercedes windshields, they are self calibrating. All sensors and systems worked as expected. And Yes, that's exactly what happened as I was there when it was done. I was impressed and they did a great installation. The cost wasn't cheap. The windshield was $3000.00 plus extras and labour and taxes came to $4500.00.

Toban

Same experience, but I had a fogging issue with the camera itself, which of course Safelite couldn't have fixed. They had to apply a recall or two on the camera/housing to get it to calibrate.

For reference, my last acoustic IR windshield cost $2,350 at the dealer - that was before labor rates went to $180 (year and a half ago). That was $200 over Safelite's price, which I had to pay, plus the deductible.

wildta 07-29-2023 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by toban (Post 8822482)

Toban

Even if my insurance covered that, I'd tell them to take a piss.

HotRodW 07-30-2023 10:07 AM

If you have insurance coverage, ask your agent for recommendations. Insurance companies tend hear the good and bad stories after all, and they know all the local players.

I stopped using SafeLite after they snapped our Audi's wiper arm off. What a hassle fixing that became. Previous SafeLite replacements didn't go well, either, so I was glad to be rid of them. I switched to a local company recommended by my Allstate agent, and they've been great the three times I've needed their services. With my coverage, I pay just $50 for a new OEM windshield, and crack/chip repairs are free.

BlueYonder 07-30-2023 10:20 AM

I have USAA and they have an agreement with Safelite. I can still take the car anywhere I want.

TonyF61 07-31-2023 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by BlueYonder (Post 8822623)
I have USAA and they have an agreement with Safelite. I can still take the car anywhere I want.

Used SafeLight a few years ago on BMW. Had no issues.

Craked windshield last year on MB. It was only a few weeks old. Used dealership. The only issue I had with that was MB wouldn't deal with insurance. I also had only a $50 deductible. As a result, I had to pay upfront and then send a claim into insurance for reimbusrment.

On comparrison, Safelight is more convienent. I waited 2 weeks for MB replacement, after they told me to drop off the vehicle. Safelight came next day with OEM BMW and did it on location while I was at work. Took them about 45 minutes, including calibration.

Thank you for your service.

BlueYonder 07-31-2023 02:15 PM

I stopped by the Safelite shop today. The manager told me they were waiting to find out when they can get the new windshield. He told me they had an S560 that still doesn't have a new windshield after 6 months.

TonyF61 07-31-2023 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by BlueYonder (Post 8823266)
I stopped by the Safelite shop today. The manager told me they were waiting to find out when they can get the new windshield. He told me they had an S560 that still doesn't have a new windshield after 6 months.

That's terrible!!
How long did dealer say?

BlueYonder 08-08-2023 02:46 PM

Just got informed by Safelite that a new windshield would take 5 - 7 weeks. They said it was coming from Germany.

HotRodW 08-08-2023 04:11 PM

I never understand parts delays or backorders when the same items are currently used in manufacturing. How many of these windshields are in Tuscaloosa's inventory? I'm sure the issue is more complicated than it appears, but the optics aren't good.

mikapen 08-08-2023 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by HotRodW (Post 8827594)
I never understand parts delays or backorders when the same items are currently used in manufacturing. How many of these windshields are in Tuscaloosa's inventory? I'm sure the issue is more complicated than it appears, but the optics aren't good.

Me neither.
A year and a half ago they had to special order my windshield, and it took a week and a half.

My guess is that it's a result of the 'just in time' manufacturing process, where parts are allocated when an order is placed.

Pretty much all manufacturers are learning the same lesson and going more vertically integrated.
Except Tesla, who started out that way, having seen the previous debacle in 07-08.

BlueYonder 09-08-2023 02:41 PM

Windshield arrived Wednesday and installed today by Safelite. Original Mercedes glass with the Mercedes symbol in the corner. Signature decal on the lower right side. Camera and HUD appear to work fine.

toban 09-08-2023 03:45 PM

OEM Mercedes windshields are self calibrating.

Toban

toban 09-08-2023 03:51 PM

What was the cost of the windshield?

Toban

BlueYonder 09-08-2023 05:33 PM

Total charged to the insurance company was about $850.00. Cost me nothing.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...bf4a56288.jpeg

BlueYonder 09-15-2023 09:55 AM

Update:

Actually the amount charged to my insurance was $1796.00.

mikapen 09-15-2023 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by BlueYonder (Post 8847211)
Update:

Actually the amount charged to my insurance was $1796.00.

Add about $600 for IR glass.