Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Just my thoughts

Old 03-07-2016, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Just my thoughts

Just picked up my GLE400 and wanted to say a few things about it, good and bad. When talking, I'm comparing this to a 2014 Tundra Platinum that was my daily driver, and a 2014 E350 (wife's car) that a drove regularly. (I don't let her drive me)
First, a little background on the E. The major things it has is distronic plus, 360 cameras, and lane keep assist (whatever it was called then).

The big things the GLE400 has are: drivers package, lighting package, night package, and parking assistance. Then, tow package, side steps, cooled seats.
First the good.
1. This somewhat large SUV is very peppy. When you push the gas it has just a little turbo lag then it really takes off. I haven't tried, but I know it will dust the 350.
2. The MB puddle light and lighted door sills is pretty cool although my wife thinks the puddle lights are, "just stupid."
3. The technology in this things is mind-boggling. The feature where you can see the torque and horsepower while driving, is pretty dang awesome. There is just so many things you can do and see.
4. Looks. Awesome! I've had it for about 60hrs and I've got several compliments already.
5. The steering seems very light and agile even compared to the E class. It seems to be quick to respond to everything. Gas and steering. Sometimes too quick.
6. The 360 cameras are very bright and crisp with the new large screen. The camera has much greater detail when compared to the E class cameras.
7. The headrest. You can reach up and tilt/click them forward. What a great comfort feature.
8. The rear 115v plug in under the rear seat. I just found this tonight and it's a great feature.
9. It drives so much smoother then the E. Yes the E has 30k miles but it is a sedan.

Now the bad. (Yes there seems like a lot but there really is so many good things I just didn't list them all)
1. First and foremost this thing seems to rock,.........a lot. Yes I know it's an SUV, but it fells like the old Nissan/Datsun 260, 280, and 300s that rock up and down when you changed gears. Stepping on and off the gas makes this thing rock back and forth like a see saw. It also seems to roll a lot when shaking the wheel back and forth. (I also test drove a GLE63 (non S) and I don't know if it had the active curve system but I do remember it rolling some too. But maybe not this much. Can someone confirm if all AMG GLEs have active curve?)
2. The technology is mind-boggling. There is so much here, that it is hard to learn and remember where everything is at. And I really liked the "star buttoms" in the E that I could program to bring up different options that I used a lot. For example, when I'm parking the E I press the star and the 360 cameras come up so I don't hit any curbs and I can make sure I'm in the lines. (If anyone knows a fix here on the GLE, please let me know)
3. Bluetooth connectivity. Horrible! Sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesnt. Sometimes it goes back to Pandora, sometimes it goes to nothing. I do not have an apple phone yet to take advantage of carplay, but the Entune system in my toyota was light years ahead of this. I'm looking at getting an iPhone now so I can have the carplay but I still will have to plug a wire in to make it work. Really? Isn't this 2016! But until then my android phone connects and plays Pandora through bluetooth and it sucks, stinks, sounds horrible. All of the Entune features in my Toyota were free (well, through my phone), weather, maps, etc. Yes it used minutes on my phone (I have unlimited everything) but there where NO wires and it sounded awesome while playing Pandora. Listening to satellite, or HD Radio is great, but the bluetooth.......sucks! The E sounds horrible through bluetooth too. MB, please, please, please fix this.
4. Why can't the small rear glass open up without opening the whole tailgate? Not a big deal, but just a thought.
5. The sound. Like my wife said, "well you should have got the coupe." (The coupe is nice and looks good, but it's just not practical for me.) I really wish this had just a little more "sound" to it. You can barely hear the turbos, which is good and bad, but this is the 400. It is above the 350, but technically a smaller engine, so can it not have some sort of small grunt or growl when you step on the gas! It just needs something.
6. The MB app is nice, but it hardly works. It takes forever for the car to respond to any of the request that you ask of it through the app. Get rid if it, or at least make it work to 2016 standards.
7. Lastly for now. Just don't waste your money on the side steps. They are just to small and close to be used or practical. I guess this could be considered a good thing because I'm telling you a way to save money.

More updates as I drive/see more.
Attached Thumbnails Just my thoughts-20160307_202301.jpg  

Last edited by BACnMercedes; 03-08-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good....
10. The different modes, sport or comfy, are really different. I cannot tell much of a difference in the E car but in sport mode in this thing it really perks up and drives better. The revs get higher and hold longer and the ride stiffens up.
11. I used a friend's iphone to try carplay. Ohhhhhh how I love the! Got to get an iPhone soon.
12. If you sit long enough with the car in park, but still running, it automatically sets the parking brake. Or the brake automatic sets when you turn the car off or releases automatically when you put it in gear and press the gas.

Bad.....
8. The auto shut off feature. I hate it. Although it is a lot smoother starting back up than the E, it still does it. And while the E would take a long time of driving in order for everything to get warmed up and the light to turn green so it starts shutting off at stops, this thing does it very quickly. It is about 45-55 degrees this past few mornings and it starts shutting off at stops within just a few miles. This eco mode starts working very quickly.
9. Still on the auto shut off feature/eco mode but I thought this needed it's own point. If you turn off the eco mode so the car will not shut off at stops and then change the driving mode, like comfy to sport or back, the eco mode automatically turns itself back on! Dang it! I turned it off once already, STAY OFF!!!!

Last edited by BACnMercedes; 03-08-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bad.....
10. Why is there no seat memory buttons for the passenger!!!!
Old 03-08-2016, 10:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe / 2012 ML350
you need add it

Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
Bad.....
10. Why is there no seat memory buttons for the passenger!!!!

it's an option, you need to add it a build i think the cost was $350.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura TSX
Hey guys. I just got a GLA with CarPlay (32C Multimedia Package) and found out some quirks with the audio system. Other than that it works great and as advertised. I'll be posting a How To in the Audio & Electronics forum.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:04 PM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
Good....
Bad.....
8. The auto shut off feature. I hate it. Although it is a lot smoother starting back up than the E, it still does it. And while the E would take a long time of driving in order for everything to get warmed up and the light to turn green so it starts shutting off at stops, this thing does it very quickly. It is about 45-55 degrees this past few mornings and it starts shutting off at stops within just a few miles. This eco mode starts working very quickly.
9. Still on the auto shut off feature/eco mode but I thought this needed it's own point. If you turn off the eco mode so the car will not shut off at stops and then change the driving mode, like comfy to sport or back, the eco mode automatically turns itself back on! Dang it! I turned it off once already, STAY OFF!!!!
Check the M-Class board, there is a module you can get to keep the auto start/stop off. At least that's one plus for the 350 that doesn't have it! As for the memory passenger seat, you have to select the option for the "rear seat entertainment pre-wiring" that's only $170. You'll likely never use it but bundled in that option (and not advertised anywhere) is the memory and power headrest for the front passenger seat.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE350d
Congratulations on picking up your GLE! I have a countdown on my phone and I still have 63 days until I get mine.

I'm pleased to hear that the cons are fairly minor compared to the praises the GLE has gotten. I'm disappointed with the apparent body roll. Does the Sport model remedy it at all? I had also hoped at the Start/Stop could be turned off just like the puddle lights. Maybe the Canadian version will have it. These are two functions I'd like to immediately turn off.

It's too bad about the lack of engine noise too. I'm sure the new GLE450 AMG will have a bit more noise to it but I couldn't wait that long. The sidesteps were a must for me because my gf is only 5' tall but I kind of like the look of them anyway.

Do you plan on doing any upgrades?
Old 03-10-2016, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I found out today that the passenger memory seats is a stand alone addition that the dealership has to add. In the 400 the rear seat dvd pre-wiring and passenger auto headrest are standard and the memory seat option is not on the MB Web page for the buyers to see it or know to ask for it.

As for the swaying and rocking. Yes and no. In sport mode the side to side swaying seems to stop a little but the rocking front to back is there. I am getting more used to it now since I'm driving it more but since I came from a full size truck (tundra) it was very pronounced with me.

The side steps though are really not that important. My wife is about 5'2" and when I open the door for her (being the southern gentlemen I like to think I am), I notice she mostly steps over them too. My little 3 yr old does use them though to climb up. The steps really are too narrow to get either foot on well enough to turn some while getting in the vehicle. Honestly to feel comfortable (in a position) getting in and out of the truck, only your toes then fit on the steps while stepping in and out. This thing really could use some power retractable steps like the range rover, F150, or Escalades.

So far I've just added my 9500ix and I'm trying to find a permanet home for it and decide where to hardwire it in. I have tinted the windows to match and got a price on a clear front end bar. They quoted me $550 for about 18"of hood, side mirrors, very little on the sides and complete nose. I thought that sounded ridiculously high. I've also been trying to track someone down or find a way to cover up some more of the chrome since I got the night package yet MB decided to still put chrome handles and that HUGE chrome piece at the back hatchback. My wife wants me to paint the calipers red, but I haven't decided on that yet.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good.....
13. Wow, wow, wow. This thing is a blast to drive. We drove to the Atlanta International car show yesterday and after 140 miles, one way, I still wanted to drive more! We even looked at a lot of the other mid size suv's there and this thing, hands down, looks better, inside and out. Get the drivers assistance package because it makes any driving so much easier. Then add the night package, it just looks bad @$$!
Attached Thumbnails Just my thoughts-20160312_093103.jpg  

Last edited by BACnMercedes; 03-20-2023 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by gee1224
it's an option, you need to add it a build i think the cost was $350.
Plus special order fee $250.

Not sure if $600 is worth it option for passenger memory seats.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by variable229
Plus special order fee $250.

Not sure if $600 is worth it option for passenger memory seats.
Who is charing you $250 to order a car?
Old 03-12-2016, 11:29 PM

Who is charing you $250 to order a car?
There is a special order option charge for certain options. I think invoice is $233 and MSRP is $250. It's added to your build sheet when you add stuff like Airmatic, Lockable Storage, Cargo Management, Rear Airbags, Aluminum Trim and Passenger Memory Seats. The charge is one time, so it's worth the option charge if you add a few special order items.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by variable229
There is a special order option charge for certain options. I think invoice is $233 and MSRP is $250. It's added to your build sheet when you add stuff like Airmatic, Lockable Storage, Cargo Management, Rear Airbags, Aluminum Trim and Passenger Memory Seats. The charge is one time, so it's worth the option charge if you add a few special order items.
Got it.
Is there a list of these things somewhere other than sitting down with the dealer when you order? I would like to see a few of these thing also. Lockable storage would be nice.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:04 PM

GLE350d
Picture looks great! I really wanted the night package but I don't like those bi-colour wheels..so decided to use that money at the shop after delivery to vinyl the chrome pieces..
Old 03-14-2016, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kwando
Picture looks great! I really wanted the night package but I don't like those bi-colour wheels..so decided to use that money at the shop after delivery to vinyl the chrome pieces..
Good point. But every vinyl wrapper around me looks like my 3 yr old did it, or they rape you on price. I figured the wheels would be easier and cheaper to replace. But they are now growing on me.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 241 Likes on 138 Posts
Soon: 2020 G63 Currently: 2016 GLE63 SUV + 97 F250HD, Before: 2013 G550, Range Rover Sport, 1984 CJ7
How's the Lane Keeping assist function? Does it keep you in lane well enough?
Old 03-16-2016, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Works very well. Warns you and then pulls you over.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes. I think it works great. Although it is just like our e class in that it is quick to react to a drift over the left yellow line, but a little slower and harder to react to the right solid white line.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:22 PM

Soon: 2020 G63 Currently: 2016 GLE63 SUV + 97 F250HD, Before: 2013 G550, Range Rover Sport, 1984 CJ7
In traffic does it follow the car in front of you or does it follow the lines? How does it react when patterns change? (Presume you have to take control).

Guess I am curious how it reads the car in front of you vs the lines.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:54 PM

GLE350d
You may have mentioned this before but how long did it take for you to receive from beginning of production to delivery? Just got an email from my dealer saying mine is currently in production and delivery May 27th..surely it doesn't take MB two and a half months to build and ship a car. Not sure what stage mine is at.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:24 PM

Ordered Jan 15th, expected April 15th to be in my possession
Old 03-16-2016, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Your car has both radar as well as cameras next to the rear mirror. It reads the lines as well as the car in front of you to keep you in the lane
Old 03-18-2016, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I ordered around Jan 27 or 28 and it got here late March 4.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by johnnyderm
In traffic does it follow the car in front of you or does it follow the lines? How does it react when patterns change? (Presume you have to take control).

Guess I am curious how it reads the car in front of you vs the lines.
At slow speeds it follows the car. At faster speeds I've noticed it follows the lines but keeps it's distance from cars in front of you.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good......
14. I discovered the "vehicle data" menu and screen today. That's pretty cool

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just my thoughts