MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLE Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-w166-206/)
-   -   GLE Pano Roof Opinions (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-w166/640626-gle-pano-roof-opinions.html)

Kalaika 10-10-2016 07:37 PM

GLE Pano Roof Opinions

Hello All,
I've seen a few threads commenting on the MB Pano Roof. Please let me know your opinions on this option. My wife and I are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum.
Thanks

BACnMercedes 10-10-2016 10:04 PM

Hate them. MB uses a thin mesh screen to cover the glass and it does very little to keep out the sun and heat. They look cool and will be great for resale because of that cool factor, but in my opinion they are not practical.

Alex Bel 10-10-2016 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kalaika (Post 6938214)
Hello All,
I've seen a few threads commenting on the MB Pano Roof. Please let me know your opinions on this option. My wife and I are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum.
Thanks

Just had today fixed at dealership sunroof malfunction (just a sunroof). First problem with my 2016 GLE after 3 months of ownership. The roof refused to open full way and during closing ended in the tilt position. So, I could not even close the sunroof. The reset procedure ( from manual) did not work for me, neither for dealer. They spent 1 hour reprogramming something.

Conclusion - the less electronic the better. Cannot imagine myself without extended warranty when the standard one is up.

yxc145 10-11-2016 12:02 PM

I like it on the 2 cars that I own. no problem so far. All cars get hot under the sun. Maybe it will take extra minute for the AC to cool down the car. I am fine with that.
My 6 months old baby loves looking up into the sky. All worth it.

gocargo 10-11-2016 06:15 PM

Living in very hot and very sunny Georgia, I loathe sunroofs, let alone panorama style, let alone those covered by thin fabric.

In +/- 20 previous vehicles I've owned with electric sliding sunroofs, the only 2 problems I had were both with ML models.

I had opportunity this spring to purchase a very reasonably priced, low mile, 1 owner, dealer sold new '09 SL63. I passed because of its pano roof

---> Edit..

In reflection.. the aforementioned mechanical problems that I experienced in 2 previous ML's occurred when vehicles were several years old and sunroofs had not been articulated in maybe a year or more. Meaning that lack of use could have been the culprit, dunno.

baobay 10-12-2016 09:58 AM

We have it on our current GLS and had it on our previous GL and we like it.

Isawelvis 10-12-2016 08:43 PM

Sunroofs always make the car hotter and longer to cool. The standard Mercedes roof is OK, the inside slide shield is insulated like the headliner and helps insulate against the heat. Cars that have the perforated slide screen like the Mercedes panoramic and my Mini do not shield against heat transfer into the car. I personally would not have a panoramic sunroof in any car.

BACnMercedes 10-12-2016 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kalaika (Post 6938214)
Hello All,
Thanks

Well, who won? Does someone get a pano or does someone stay cool inside the car?

Chefcct 10-13-2016 09:00 AM

I live in Chicago and you all know our winters and summers can be brutal. Well, maybe you don't...now you do.
Anyways, I have no issues with heat from my panoramic roof. I love it.

baobay 10-13-2016 09:25 AM

I makes the interior feel bigger IMHO. I have a black interior and the pano sun roof lightens it up. Personally I can go with or without. My wife loves it and will not get one without.

Kalaika 10-13-2016 03:34 PM

Thanks everyone

I should this thread to the wife. Wife still wins.

fabbrisd1 10-14-2016 01:32 AM

Sure... and if you want to reduce heat further .. 3M Crystalline tint film ... available is close-to-clear - for sunroofs and/or I have customers with in on the inside windshield - cuts remaining IR and UV by 90%+... do a google..

BACnMercedes 10-14-2016 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Chefcct (Post 6940444)
I live in Chicago and you all know our winters and summers can be brutal. Well, maybe you don't...now you do.

Does anyone else think "Chicago" and "brutal summers" is a little funny? :rolf:
I'll give you the winter part, but not the summer part. :)

Sorry OP. Now back to the original question........

SEXYBEAST 10-20-2016 08:31 PM

i have it on mine but would never custom order it, noisy. don't like it

eric1972 10-21-2016 01:35 PM

I love mine and recommend it. I work in the San Fernando Valley in LA, and my GLE is parked in the outdoor lot, where in the summer time, we have temperatures for a few months of 90-100 degrees daily, and yes, it's warm when you get into the car but the AC cools off rather quickly. I find the blinds adequate, but yes, it's not blacked out.

baobay 10-23-2016 06:15 PM

I love mine and I keep it open starting now until May. We live in the north East and it keeps the car warm on those chilly days. Also I think it "opens up" the interior and makes it seem roomier. I would not consider a Pano roof If I lived in FL, TX, or CA or in any temperate climate.

foiegras 11-20-2016 09:38 AM

Opinion, sure.

Sunroof is a must and the bigger the better. That is, unless the vehicle just does not offer the option.

davezaristo 11-23-2016 01:47 AM

Blk pano roof looks cool on a white car since my wife never opens it so she wanted it for the look only.

skw 11-25-2016 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by yxc145 (Post 6938807)
I like it on the 2 cars that I own. no problem so far. All cars get hot under the sun. Maybe it will take extra minute for the AC to cool down the car. I am fine with that.
My 6 months old baby loves looking up into the sky. All worth it.

I'm also in the pro column for the pano roof. I like the way it opens up the interior of the vehicle and also both of my kids (8yrs & 6mos as well) like looking up. The pano roof has since moved into my must have list w/ H/K, trailer hitch, and dark interior.

softfree 11-25-2016 07:48 PM

had the car for 3 months only open it once.....

SoCalBenzGuy 12-23-2016 06:18 AM

I have always loved the pano. The mesh is weak so if you want the pano get the three zone climate upgrade so you can cool/heat the car faster.

n0thingtolos3 12-27-2016 06:49 PM

Panorama roof or Active Multicontour Front Seats with Massage Feature?

baobay 12-28-2016 09:06 AM

BOTH, but if you had to get one, get the seats...more useful

JonathanGLE 12-28-2016 01:54 PM

Have a GLE350 with the panorama roof and it's the best options to get... but would get both if possible!

Leo17 12-28-2016 11:10 PM

Pano all the way!!! especially if u have white color paint!!!