MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLE Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-w166-206/)
-   -   Mudflaps/Mud Guards on a GLE (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-w166/640796-mudflaps-mud-guards-gle.html)

DarrenK 10-12-2016 02:30 PM

Mudflaps/Mud Guards on a GLE

I saw a post over in the C class discussion about someone who had a good bit of damage from road spray, pebbles, etc. With delivery of my GLE 550e just a few weeks away, I was contemplating whether I need mud flaps, especially for a black exterior. I am looking for any opinions either way about whether to get them (or even if they are available aftermarket -I don't recall them being an ordering option.)

If it helps I will not be off-roading or tackling anything other than city streets and highways.

RA112623 10-12-2016 04:26 PM

just took a quick look and mud flaps do show up as an option on a website build of that model. probably dealer installed. good luck, ron

Isawelvis 10-12-2016 08:29 PM

I would get them especially if I had a black car , they would match the color of the car and not be as obvious . I plan on putting them on my ML350 soon.

janky 10-12-2016 11:36 PM

Funny, I just got on here to research the same question. I drive to ski almost every weekend so I'm going to get them installed. Probably take me too long to figure out how to install myself so will probably schedule time to install at dealer.

I am wondering if I should get mud flaps for both front and back if I have the running boards. Anyone else have running boards and considering front (and back) mud flaps?

JohninBismarck 10-13-2016 09:32 PM

I bought the MB mud flaps from the dealer for our 2016 300d. We had a $100 coupon they gave us with our purchase, and as I recall the front and rear flaps were about $300, or $200 with the coupon. A little "spendy" for four pieces of plastic, but they were easy to install, fit perfectly, and look good. Our GLE came with the running boards (though I wish it didn't).

The flaps and running boards probably help some, but I would prefer plastic fender liners that protect the entire edge of the fender, like Jeep, Land Rover, and others have as standard equipment. We regularly drive off pavement, and most of the road damage we have had on our vehicles are chips on the front end and in the windshield.

janky 10-13-2016 10:50 PM

Curious, did you install the mud flaps yourself?

Originally Posted by JohninBismarck (Post 6941209)
I bought the MB mud flaps from the dealer for our 2016 300d. We had a $100 coupon they gave us with our purchase, and as I recall the front and rear flaps were about $300, or $200 with the coupon. A little "spendy" for four pieces of plastic, but they were easy to install, fit perfectly, and look good. Our GLE came with the running boards (though I wish it didn't).

The flaps and running boards probably help some, but I would prefer plastic fender liners that protect the entire edge of the fender, like Jeep, Land Rover, and others have as standard equipment. We regularly drive off pavement, and most of the road damage we have had on our vehicles are chips on the front end and in the windshield.

JohninBismarck 10-14-2016 08:39 AM

Yes. Took about 45 minutes as I recall. They mostly reuse plastic fasteners that are already there in the fender liners. I think there were two holes to drill for the rears, into the plastic liner. Each flap includes a tape strip to hold it to the edge of the metal fender. You don't have to remove the wheels.

JOHNBEST2017GLE 10-14-2016 01:27 PM

We also got $100 coupon from our dealership, but instead I spent on weathertech which retails for $200 but I got for $100, still pricey but with MBENZ logo on~

Nor Cal SL55 11-03-2016 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by DarrenK (Post 6939867)
I saw a post over in the C class discussion about someone who had a good bit of damage from road spray, pebbles, etc. With delivery of my GLE 550e just a few weeks away, I was contemplating whether I need mud flaps, especially for a black exterior. I am looking for any opinions either way about whether to get them (or even if they are available aftermarket -I don't recall them being an ordering option.)

If it helps I will not be off-roading or tackling anything other than city streets and highways.

i ordered mud flaps for my 2016 GLE 550e with the exterior sport package (AMG) and running boards. The rear flaps do not fit and currently there is no option available from MB for cars with the exterior sport package and running boards.

I'm unsure if the mud flaps would fit a standard 2016 GLE 550e without the exterior sport package. The wheel well configuration (sheet metal/fenders/bumpers) is different between the standard and sport.

janky 11-07-2016 03:25 PM

Interesting. I have the exterior sport package and running boards and when I was at the MB dealer a few weeks ago they said the mud flaps would fit. What did MB say to you when you told them the rear mud flaps wouldn't fit? Did you get a partial refund? Or did you not put the flaps on at all (front nor back)? I'm going to call my dealer now to get their thoughts as I was ready to pull the trigger on ordering.

Originally Posted by Nor Cal SL55 (Post 6960034)
i ordered mud flaps for my 2016 GLE 550e with the exterior sport package (AMG) and running boards. The rear flaps do not fit and currently there is no option available from MB for cars with the exterior sport package and running boards.

I'm unsure if the mud flaps would fit a standard 2016 GLE 550e without the exterior sport package. The wheel well configuration (sheet metal/fenders/bumpers) is different between the standard and sport.

Nor Cal SL55 11-08-2016 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by janky (Post 6963459)
Interesting. I have the exterior sport package and running boards and when I was at the MB dealer a few weeks ago they said the mud flaps would fit. What did MB say to you when you told them the rear mud flaps wouldn't fit? Did you get a partial refund? Or did you not put the flaps on at all (front nor back)? I'm going to call my dealer now to get their thoughts as I was ready to pull the trigger on ordering.

When I got them and tried to match them up to the contours of the vehicle, it was obvious that the rears wouldn't fit. The front fit, but the rears didn't. I got a full refund for both and asked MB to notify me when a set that will fit is available.

janky 11-11-2016 04:04 PM

You're right. My 2nd call to my local dealer and they said mud flaps won't work. That's ridiculous. I drive through snow almost every weekend on highways in the winter. Is this just a waiting game for us that have running boards and sport package?

Originally Posted by Nor Cal SL55 (Post 6964770)
When I got them and tried to match them up to the contours of the vehicle, it was obvious that the rears wouldn't fit. The front fit, but the rears didn't. I got a full refund for both and asked MB to notify me when a set that will fit is available.

Nor Cal SL55 11-15-2016 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by janky (Post 6966948)
You're right. My 2nd call to my local dealer and they said mud flaps won't work. That's ridiculous. I drive through snow almost every weekend on highways in the winter. Is this just a waiting game for us that have running boards and sport package?

I was on the MB USA website yesterday and compared the vehicle with Exterior Sport Package and without. You can roll over the screen to see the affects of each package on the vehicle.

I don't think the running boards are an issue, as these are before the rear wheels. Unsure if there is a difference in the rear bumper cover on the Exterior Sport Package compared to standard. It may just have to do with the GLE550e being different from the GLE 350/400, etc. in my instance. But then you have a GLE 350 with the Exterior Sport Package - right? If this is true, then it is most likely the issue is with the Exterior Sport Package.

janky 11-15-2016 01:41 PM

I'm not sure what to do. Salt, ice, debris will most certainly be flying high this winter and I can't believe I don't have an option for mud flaps. I honestly would've considered not getting AMG sport/rails if I knew this in advance.

GLE43_Sube 11-19-2016 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by janky (Post 6970005)
I'm not sure what to do. Salt, ice, debris will most certainly be flying high this winter and I can't believe I don't have an option for mud flaps. I honestly would've considered not getting AMG sport/rails if I knew this in advance.

If the 2016 GLE 350 4Matic is the same as the 2017 model, these should work. If not, this same website should have them for your vehicle.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4x-F...b-1f51876e0cea

janky 11-19-2016 01:38 PM

Awesome link but if you look at the description, it says:

"Fitment For Mercedes-Benz GLE 2015-2016 (Only fit for Benz GLE with running boards or side skirt, Can't fit for AMG Sport.) "

That's the rub. I've got AMG Sport package. Gonna look through AliExpress though to see if they have others that might fit.

GLE43_Sube 11-19-2016 02:09 PM

Oh, I missed that part. At least I hope I put you in the right direction. :y

janky 11-19-2016 05:25 PM

Couldn't find anything on eBay nor AliExpress that would work. Actually, one seller (from China) said the flaps I inquired about would work with running boards and sport package but I don't trust that response.

c0w 11-20-2016 08:16 AM

Is the $100 coupon dealer specific or from mb? Just ordered some at $280 for the set of 4. I hate how the dealership gives you an upcharge and you have to ask them to price match mbusa.... they tried to charge me 180 for each set and then after asking it dropped to 130/set and 280 with tax. Terrible! Hopefully it's easy to install cause they were also going to charge me 380 just for the install on top of the 280! Anyone by chance can take a pic of how it looks on the car? I'm only buying it cause it's annoying to get black dirt on the sides of the car after a car wash. Thx

Nor Cal SL55 11-26-2016 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picture of fitment of mud flaps that don't fit. Rear driver's side, part #A 166 890 10 00

Nor Cal SL55 12-02-2016 09:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
You can see from these pictures that the standard and sport rear bumper covers differ. These are from someone who is advertising mud flaps for a GLE 550e on ebay.

I noticed that the first picture in the ad is a picture is of a sport model, but they are showing the flaps being applied to a standard model.

You can see by the pictures that the rear bumper covers are different on the different models.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Mud-Flap...JXxTJ-&vxp=mtr

siquadri 08-25-2017 10:39 PM

I am planning to get Mud Flaps installed on my 2016 GLE300d. Would appreciate pictures with Mudflaps for GLE with running board on them.
Mine has running board on it.

revor 10-13-2017 10:06 AM

Can Anyone answer the question?

2017 GLE 63 AMG (without running boards)

After reading this thread, I still don't know the answer - Where can I purchase a mud flap that will fit, be able to be customized to fit, or is adaptable to fit? Can't get to the end of the street without some of it coming along for the ride, ON THE SIDE OF MY DIAMOND WHITE BEAST. In this time of technology, someone out there in "Cyber World", must have successfully dealt with this in the past! This plea is not for me, mind you, it's for my considerably younger wife. Having to wash the car everyday, tires her out to the point that she starting to have problems keeping up with me. The gang at the Senior Center miss her.

Seriously, doubt I would have bought this vehicle had I known of this issue! Had flaps on all my previous vehicles (At least the ones in the past 50 years)

It's not just blowin' off 'vettes in my SLEEPER SUV; it's lookin good while I'm doin' it!

jester1 10-13-2017 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by revor (Post 7285110)
2017 GLE 63 AMG (without running boards)

This plea is not for me, mind you, it's for my considerably younger wife. Having to wash the car everyday, tires her out to the point that she starting to have problems keeping up with me.
!

how'd you talk your wife into washing the car everyday?

A lot of men on this site anxiously await your response.

revor 10-13-2017 12:34 PM

Mud Flaps

Originally Posted by jester1 (Post 7285178)
how'd you talk your wife into washing the car everyday?

A lot of men on this site anxiously await your response.

There are several things one learns with age and experience:

A. 2nd. wives are almost always better. The first marriages are based on passion, which, in itself, makes us think illogically, The 2nd. is usually for companionship, love, and with forethought. (Logically)
B. Never give her too much to do. Boredom breeds a desire for action.
C. Have her be concerned for your health. (She doesn't want to have to deal with convalescing husband.)
D. Lavish admiration on her for a job well-done! Repeatedly!
E. Compliment her on how fit and healthy she is. Her lifestyle has paid off! Keep washing, er, exercising.

Now, who knows about MY mud flaps!