MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLE Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-w166-206/)
-   -   Onboard Video Recorder (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-w166/645293-onboard-video-recorder.html)

GLE43_Sube 11-28-2016 06:57 AM

Onboard Video Recorder

1 Attachment(s)
Found this option on the MB Japan website. This has become pretty common in other countries. I wish we had this option here as well. Bad drivers are not unique to Asia and Europe.

OK, I realize the base price for an AMG GLE43 Coupe translates to $111,049 in Japan. I was just commenting on a really cool feature. :D

tiri 11-28-2016 10:30 AM

That would come in handy. I'm certain we will see these as standard across the industry within a few years.

AS705 11-28-2016 05:43 PM

GLE43 Sube you are correct.

Unfortunately there is still the element of society that will target luxury brands whether by car jacking, staged collisions or aggressive driving. Dash cams are a must have and in some countries are required by law. They are a silent unbiased witness. Just think of how many red light runners you witness.

I have the Thinkware F770 in our AMG GLE43 Coupe. It is one of the latest models. I had it professionally installed (Car Systems Installations- CSI in North York). It has forward camera, rear camera and parking mode with Wi-fi, motion sensor and event recording. So far it is a great and far superior to the dod model that we had in our ML350.

http://www.thinkware.com/Products/f770

GLE43_Sube 11-28-2016 08:23 PM

Thinkware F770 Dash Cam

Originally Posted by AS705 (Post 6981221)
I have the Thinkware F770 in our AMG GLE43 Coupe. It is one of the latest models. I had it professionally installed

That looks pretty state of the art. How unobtrusive is it? Would you mind taking a few pics so I can see exactly where/how it's mounted? Thanks!

BACnMercedes 11-28-2016 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube (Post 6981341)
That looks pretty state of the art. How unobtrusive is it? Would you mind taking a few pics so I can see exactly where/how it's mounted? Thanks!

Yeah!

AS705 11-29-2016 03:51 AM

I will get some pics asap this week..:zoom:

AS705 11-29-2016 06:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
These are a few pictures showing the front unit mounted to the right of the rear view mirror and the rear camera mounted top centre. The front camera is normally centred but to accommodate our transponder, the front camera was mounted to the right. The rear camera is not really noticeable when look out the rear view mirror. The rear camera cannot be seen from outside due to the tinting.
When starting the vehicle after being parked, the unit provides an audio report of what recording occurred while in parking mode, as well as, that the unit is continuously recording. Where the unit is mounted, it is not really visible from the driver's seat.
Hope these help.

GLE43_Sube 11-29-2016 08:13 PM

Thanks!

nvsocr7 11-29-2016 08:20 PM

It would be incredibly easy to already integrate this into most vehicles as 360 cameras are readily available. All you'd need is software and a small SSD/HDD to record.

Medic8ed 01-24-2017 07:11 AM

Do you know if they wired your camera to the glove compartment fuse box, or the fuse panel under the rear seat?

AS705 01-24-2017 03:15 PM

The unit requires continuous power for full motion sensor and functionality.

For continuous power, the stereo in the dash is the continuous power source. This required skilled, professional disassembly/reassembly of the centre dash/command to connect to this source and route the wires under/around the console and trim. I did not watch (probably a good thing) the install.

A voltage limiter was also installed to detect when/if the voltage drops to 11.9 volts. Then the unit will be turned off to prevent draining the battery.

Hope this helps.

350MH83 01-25-2017 02:50 AM

For continuous power, an easier option is to wire it from the fuse panel on the passenger side. This is what I had done for my Blackvue dashcam. I had it wired with the Power Magic Pro which keeps the camera running for either a set amount of time, or until the voltage depletes below a set threshold. That means you also need to connect the Power Magic Pro to a source of ignition 12V (ON only when ignition is ON). Well, that's the trick part because there is no ignition 12V from the passenger side fuse panel. You either need to tap it from the fus box below the rear seat, or from the cigarette lighter in the dash. In my ML I had a tracking system installed, and they had already tapped the ingnition 12V from the cigarette lighter, so I just tapped the power from that same wire as the tracking system had been installed in the passenger footwell.

Boston 01-27-2017 08:34 PM

How much for this set up installed?

Originally Posted by AS705 (Post 6981221)
GLE43 Sube you are correct.

Unfortunately there is still the element of society that will target luxury brands whether by car jacking, staged collisions or aggressive driving. Dash cams are a must have and in some countries are required by law. They are a silent unbiased witness. Just think of how many red light runners you witness.

I have the Thinkware F770 in our AMG GLE43 Coupe. It is one of the latest models. I had it professionally installed (Car Systems Installations- CSI in North York). It has forward camera, rear camera and parking mode with Wi-fi, motion sensor and event recording. So far it is a great and far superior to the dod model that we had in our ML350.

http://www.thinkware.com/Products/f770

Thanks for this posting... could you share how much it cost you for full set up with installation?

AS705 02-04-2017 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Boston (Post 7038416)
Thanks for this posting... could you share how much it cost you for full set up with installation?

$1,000 CDN for entire 2-camera package and install...Took about 3 hours

Boston 02-04-2017 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by AS705 (Post 7045909)
$1,000 CDN for entire 2-camera package and install...Took about 3 hours

Thanks for sharing... If MB is listening that would be an innovative feature to offer on your vehicles & would be a simple modification.

Kwando 02-08-2017 01:16 PM

I use this one. It's a generic camera but works very well at an attractive price. Use it in both my cars.