MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLE Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-w166-206/)
-   -   Hitch sale and install (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-w166/645457-hitch-sale-install.html)

enduro963 11-29-2016 06:46 PM

Hitch sale and install

Hi guys. Just bought a GLE400 for my wife. It did not come with hitch. I have seen online at etrailer.com. There is also the OEM one at the dealerships. Which one do you guys recommend? I want to use it with a light trailer for motorcycles. Where can I have it installed in Laredo, San Antonio or Austin, TX?

Isawelvis 11-29-2016 10:53 PM

IF you are only towing motor cycles, i would take it to a dealer that installs and sells hitches like an RV store. A Mercedes dealer installed hitch will cost you alot of money.I expect around 800 to 1000 dollars. You will also have to have wiring installed. This is my opinion. Of course some will tell you , since you have such a nice car why install a non Mercedes hitch. your call. Search this site for hitches and you will find alot of info. Have read them in the past, some of them mention prices. Good luck and enjoy the 400.

fabbrisd1 12-01-2016 07:28 PM

U-Haul hitch install with basic wiring - will be around $400 - or a hair less.

Curt Hitch is fine - and they will install a Modulite hook up for basic wiring turn signals + brake lights etc...

If your motorcylce trailer has LED lights - if that is a problem - there is a plug-in adapter at the wiring hookup you can plug in for like $14 that adds the resistive load your MB needs...

All good - keep the beat !

enduro963 12-01-2016 08:54 PM

Thanks Isawelvis and fabbrisd1!

U Haul on their web site says my GLE400 needs a custom made hitch and if I take my SUV to their R&D facility in Tempe, AZ they will make and install it for free, hahahahaha, interesting, but I am too far away. I searched for the GLE350 and they have one for that SUV, strange, I would think they were the same body.

Curt I have seen online, I just have to find who will install it in Austin.

Called MB dealership, $1,190.75 for the hitch plus 12 hour install $1,920.20 😱. They said they had to remove half of the interior to install new harness, wow, thanks but no thanks, that should be OEM and come from Stuttgart!

Shrdlu 12-01-2016 11:18 PM

that should be OEM and come from Stuttgart
It does come from Stuttgart as OEM, but only with a new order as a $575 option.

AS705 12-02-2016 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by enduro963 (Post 6984188)
Thanks Isawelvis and fabbrisd1!

U Haul on their web site says my GLE400 needs a custom made hitch and if I take my SUV to their R&D facility in Tempe, AZ they will make and install it for free, hahahahaha, interesting, but I am too far away. I searched for the GLE350 and they have one for that SUV, strange, I would think they were the same body.

Curt I have seen online, I just have to find who will install it in Austin.

Called MB dealership, $1,190.75 for the hitch plus 12 hour install $1,920.20 😱. They said they had to remove half of the interior to install new harness, wow, thanks but no thanks, that should be OEM and come from Stuttgart!

Be mindful that the dealer installation correctly integrates the hitch/wiring with the vehicle sensor systems. That is what contributes to the cost. The dealer quote is in line with previous dealer quotes mentioned by members.

This subject has been covered at length on this forum where several alternatives have been put forth. It may be worth searching and reviewing those for options.

It really comes down to exactly what you intend to use the hitch for.

fabbrisd1 always has great insight on this issue and has responded on the other threads as well to assist other members. Good luck!