MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLE Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-w166-206/)
-   -   GLE APPLE CARPLAY (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-w166/652155-gle-apple-carplay.html)

nookie 02-04-2017 06:42 PM

GLE APPLE CARPLAY

For those who are interested:

GLE's build after FEB/2016 will have it Along with Android Auto.

The Apple carplay is a nice feature but...
Don't expect just any app to work on your GLE screen.

The apps have to be developed, certified and enabled by apple for Carplay.

So if your hoping/expecting any app to show up in the GLE dash...It won't.

Currently the standard apps that will show up on GLE are Message,Music, Maps, Phone, Mercedes, Podcast.

Siri will have to be active and Phone will need to be plugged into a specific USB port in the center console. strangely enough there is no specific wire hole (Like on ML) to route a USB wire through....

Anyone who wants to chime in please do.

BACnMercedes 02-04-2017 09:41 PM

Android auto did not start in Feb 2016, only carplay.

cadman_ks 02-05-2017 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by nookie (Post 7046379)
For those who are interested:

GLE's build after FEB/2016 will have it Along with Android Auto.

The Apple carplay is a nice feature but...
Don't expect just any app to work on your GLE screen.

The apps have to be developed, certified and enabled by apple for Carplay.

So if your hoping/expecting any app to show up in the GLE dash...It won't.

Currently the standard apps that will show up on GLE are Message,Music, Maps, Phone, Mercedes, Podcast.

Siri will have to be active and Phone will need to be plugged into a specific USB port in the center console. strangely enough there is no specific wire hole (Like on ML) to route a USB wire through....

Anyone who wants to chime in please do.

I have an Android phone, and installed Auto the other day. We have a Jan 2017 build.

While it "works", I don't know that I would ever use it in the car. Same type of limited apps as the Apple has. I didn't find it all that impressive. Maybe the Apple stuff is better? I don't think I'll ever know, though, since I'll probably never own an Apple phone...

nookie 02-05-2017 06:02 PM

Apple carplay is one Big letdown for me honestly.

cadman_ks 02-05-2017 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by nookie (Post 7047233)
Apple carplay is one Big letdown for me honestly.

My thoughts with Android Auto as well. I suppose it would be different if the car wasn't as connected as it is. Even then, it feels cheesy to me...

Tbone8771 02-06-2017 11:20 AM

I wasnt impressed with Android Auto. I uninstalled it after messing with it for a bit.
I do wish that the radio would continue to play when my wife talks on her phone in the car (her phone is set up on bluetooth), even when she is just using the phone, not using it hands free through the car.

Alvam 02-06-2017 08:15 PM

Does anyone have the entertain option which has iHeart and TuneIn?? Any feedback would be helpful. Alas, is the wi-if on the GLE43 3G or 4G..

cadman_ks 02-06-2017 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Alvam (Post 7048367)
...Alas, is the wi-if on the GLE43 3G or 4G..

I haven't personally used it, I'm driving. ;)

The wife says it's pretty slow. I'd assume 3G from her comments.

Should do a Speedtest.net test in it sometime...

ride4now 02-06-2017 09:31 PM

Can an earlier build 2016 GLE350 be upgraded to Apples Car Play?

nookie 02-06-2017 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by ride4now

Yes, but it's not a freebie.

FedM 02-07-2017 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by ride4now (Post 7048457)

Yes I did it
But never used since then lol:D

ride4now 02-07-2017 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by FedM (Post 7048668)
Yes I did it
But never used since then lol:D

Hiw much did they charge for the upgrade?

2012MLBlue 02-07-2017 08:43 AM

I like the Carplay and use it every day. I really like the texting feature and use that pretty much every time I am in the car to communicate with my wife, etc. The voice recognition to text is excellent. I like that when I receive a message there is a popup on the screen and I can choose to listen to it or not, depending on who else is in the car. I also listen to a lot of podcasts and it works very well, the audio quality better than Bluetooth and every time I plug my phone into the lightening connector the podcast resume plus my phone gets recharged. Apple Music playlists also work well with Carplay.

FedM 02-07-2017 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by ride4now (Post 7048721)

Here in Russia is cost around $330

sayhibob 02-08-2017 09:02 AM

I have used it on my car since I got it with my 2017 GLE SUV. The telephony, messaging, and navigation apps are used daily, although I frankly prefer the native MB navigation better. I also have Apple Music along with Pandora, Spotify, and a few of the other apps installed just to see which work best. Apple Music seems to be the most useful with music, but they all work if one fiddles a bit and tolerates some delays. Probably the most useful for me is the ability to listen to podcasts. I use Downcast---it syncs perfectly with all of my Apple devices.

cadman_ks 02-11-2017 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by cadman_ks (Post 7048393)

The wife says it's pretty slow. I'd assume 3G from her comments.

Should do a Speedtest.net test in it sometime...

Tested it tonight in a known 4G hot spot. It does "feel" slow, but Speedtest.net shows it as 6.14 down and 6.98 up. We live in the sticks,and that faster than our home internet.

Still seems slower though, for whatever reason...

sayhibob 02-11-2017 10:17 PM

I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure that car play uses the data connection from your cell phone at whatever speed it connects at. Conversely, if one does not connect via car play, then the Mercedes apps are available and they connect through the required Mercedes internet connection, assuming that one has purchased that subscription. I have heard that the inherent Mercedes internet connection is 3G. I have no idea if that is correct.

Bottom line, I believe that if Car Play has speed issues, then look to your phone, not Mercedes.

cadman_ks 02-12-2017 09:02 AM

^^^

Sorry for the confusion.

My response was to this question earlier in the thread:

Originally Posted by Alvam (Post 7048367)
... Alas, is the wi-if on the GLE43 3G or 4G..

Like you, I would think that CarPlay / Auto both use the phones internet connection, and not the connection in the car...

softfree 02-21-2017 07:05 PM

The CRUX CAPMB-51 activates OEM features such as Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and Mirrorlink in Mercedes Benz vehicles that are equipped with NTG5.1 Navigation Systems.
anyone bought the device to enable ???? :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Ride92 05-09-2017 01:42 PM

So what is needed to add CarPlay to an earlier 2016 GLE350 in the USA? We just purchased a used 2016 and it doesn't have Carplay and the dealer didn't think it could be installed.

nvsocr7 05-09-2017 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ride92 (Post 7142217)
So what is needed to add CarPlay to an earlier 2016 GLE350 in the USA? We just purchased a used 2016 and it doesn't have Carplay and the dealer didn't think it could be installed.

Call your dealer and connect to the parts department. Give them your VIN # and this: Part #A2468203800 "smartphone integration package (code 14u). it was 100$ with tax plus installation, so figure 250-300$ when all is said and done. I got this info from the other carplay thread. I have one of the first GLE's produced and my VIN matched with this, no errors that he could find on the computer check. It should be here and install sometime this week, hopefully. BTW, most of the dealers don't know about this; I had to specifically tell him what I wanted him to do/check.

nvsocr7 05-09-2017 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by ride4now (Post 7048721)

~100$ for the hardware, 150$ per hour for installation. Another thread said 1 hour was the charging rate but it really takes 3-4 hours because of a 3 hour update to COMAND. They should only charge 1 hour labor though since that's what the instructions call for. 250-300$ is my quoted price.

Ride92 05-09-2017 10:13 PM

So what makes Part #A2468203800 Work or not work for the GLE? I looked that part number up thru google and it I didn't see GLE's on it. As anyone actually installed this thing and gotten CarPlay to Work?

BACnMercedes 05-11-2017 08:38 AM

Since we are talking about carplay, is anyone else having trouble with theirs?
Here's a list of what mine does. Now all these do not happen everytime but Atleast one will happen just about everytime I plug it in.
1. After plug in it just says loading in the Pandora screen
2. Shows its playing Pandora but there is no sound
3. After a phone call, it goes back to the normal MB screen and doesn't even recognize that carplay is plugged in
4. The carplay icons are on the screen but none of them work
5. When I switch between Pandora playlists (to avoid a commercial since I'm to cheap to buy Pandora) it decides to just go mute and plays nothing.
6. When I first plug my phone in it just says activating and does nothing on the MB screen.
7. When I put it in reverse while carplay is doing something, it loses its mind and forgets what to do and just stops.
8. Give me time and I'll remember more...........
9. It will play music inside the CarPlay, like Pandora, but sometimes it stops using CarPlay and goes back to the normal MB screen but then keeps playing the music.

Great driving, looking, riding, and all around car, but carplay stinks.

nvsocr7 05-11-2017 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ride92 (Post 7142766)
So what makes Part #A2468203800 Work or not work for the GLE? I looked that part number up thru google and it I didn't see GLE's on it. As anyone actually installed this thing and gotten CarPlay to Work?

there's already a thread dedicated to this and has a lot of info on page 3-4
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...th-2016-a.html