Sponsored By:

Engine noise loud during test drive of new GLE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 12:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI
Engine noise loud during test drive of new GLE

My wife has a 2005 E320 CDI diesel sedan. She now wants to make the change to a crossover (easier in/out, rides higher, etc.). We have demo'ed the following new vehicles:

1) Audio Q7. Solid, drives well, extremely quiet. But probably more than we need, a little big.

2) Audi Q5. Not as solid and doesn't handle as well as the Q7, looser steering, but overall not bad.

3) MB GLE. Normal MB great interior, comfortable, handles well. All around great.........however, we were really surprised with the engine noise while driving. You could hear it any time you gave it gas. If you goosed it hard, the engine ran up in rpm's like a 4-cylinder and the noise was worse. It kept outside and tire noise out just fine.

The sales guy said MB piped in some engine sound to get that "wow factor". That makes absolutely no sense to me, since quiet is a big plus in an SUV which often carries a family. Maybe makes sense in an E43, but a crossover? Anyway, regardless of the reason, it was noisy enough to be an irritant to both of us and made it difficult to carry on a conversation.

Are we the only folks who are bothered by this?
Our first choice is always to go with Mercedes. I have never bought an Audi, and I have only bought one BMW (a 1984 533i which I still own, a great car). But right now, we couldn't buy the GLE because of this.

Tomorrow we plan to demo:
- A GLC
- A different GLE
- The BMW competitors.

We might even again demo the Q7, it was such a pleasure riding around in it. It is too big, but it is hard to take off the list.

Are we too sensitive to this? Nobody else has raised this as an issue?
Any GLE owners who can comment on this?

Thank you!
Old 03-14-2017, 01:16 AM

E320 CDI
FYI, I did find this thread

http://www.mercedesgleforum.com/foru...ust-noise.html

but I'm not sure it is the same issue. Many guys mention a high pitched whine, whereas what my wife and I heard simply sounded like the engine/exhaust was not properly insulated from the interior.

I'm just hoping the GLC is nice and quiet.
I'm not a fan of 4-cylinders, but whatever will make my wife happy.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:32 AM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
You have to be specific as to which model you're referring to. At present, there are 8 different variants of the GLE. Was it the SUV or Coupe? Was it an AMG model? Was it the GLE350, GLE43, GLE63, GLE550e, etc?
Old 03-14-2017, 08:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
It depends on your personal preferences. Ours is a 350 and I like the way the way the engine sounds. It is quiet when cruising and yet has a nice growl under acceleration. In fact, wind it out to 6,800 rpm - sounds great. But that is me.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:48 AM

E320 CDI
Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube
You have to be specific as to which model you're referring to. At present, there are 8 different variants of the GLE. Was it the SUV or Coupe? Was it an AMG model? Was it the GLE350, GLE43, GLE63, GLE550e, etc?
GLE350
Old 03-14-2017, 09:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLE 350 4matic
Maybe it was that particular car. I have a 2017 GLE350 and I have no issue with engine noise unless I stand on the gas pedal, which in that case, I expect to hear the engine roar. It sounds like you may have had the Dynamic select in sport mode, which will make the RPMs a little higher and more sensitive to pressing harder on the accelerator. At the same time, with higher RPMs, will come more engine noise. If you go drive another one, see which mode you are in, or better yet, try out multiple modes.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:55 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Tbone8771
It sounds like you may have had the Dynamic select in sport mode, which will make the RPMs a little higher and more sensitive to pressing harder on the accelerator. At the same time, with higher RPMs, will come more engine noise. If you go drive another one, see which mode you are in, or better yet, try out multiple modes.
Yes, absolutely! The salesperson should have explained the Dynamic Select modes. By default it should have been in "Comfort", which is the quietest mode. But the salesperson could have changed that without you noticing, in an attempt to impress you with the growl. That engine noise is appealing to some and a turnoff to others.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:36 PM

E320 CDI
We went to a different dealer today and demo'ed a GLC300. We then completely spec'ed a new order for a GLC. Just before paying a deposit, my wife mentioned to the salesman that we would be ordering a GLE if it weren't so noisy. The salesman said "The GLE is much quieter than the GLC, why don't you demo another one".

So we demo'ed their GLE and it was very quiet, nothing like the first one we demo'ed. Yes, Sport mode causes much more engine noise than Comfort mode, but the first one had a problem separate from this.

Anyway, the GLE was quieter, steadier, more solid, much more comfortable than the GLC............not meaning to be critical, the GLC was great, just not relative to the GLE when you demo them side-by-side.

So, we ordered a GLE350 4Matic.
The cost difference versus GLC was $14k.
Not a small number, but it gets you a very different vehicle.
We are both really happy with the decision.

If my wife hadn't made the offhand comment, we would have ordered the GLC.
In the end, things work out as they should.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:04 PM

2017 GLE 350 4matic
Glad to hear your discovery and were able to get the car you wanted afterall.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
By the way, MB doesn't "pipe in the noise" on the 350. I'm glad you found another sales person and dealer. Or has anyone heard different?
I've been extremely happy with the ride and comfort of my GLE. It makes long trips very comfortable. I'm sure you will like the GLE much better than if you had got a GLC. How did you build the car? Options? You might have some time to hear some others thoughts on options and tweak your car a little. Good luck.

Last edited by BACnMercedes; 03-16-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:20 PM

E320 CDI
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
By the way, MB doesn't "pipe in the noise" on the 350. I'm glad you found another sales person and dealer. Or has anyone heard different?
I've been extremely happy with the ride and comfort of my GLE. It makes long trips very comfortable. I'm sure you will like the GLE much better than if you had got a GLC. How did you build the car? Options? You might have some time to hear some others thoughts on options and tweak your car a little. Good luck.
I'm sure they don't pipe in engine noise on the GLE350; counterproductive on an SUV. BS from sales guy.
The new dealership is much better. We spent 6 hours straight (except for demo time) with a very knowledgeable sales guy and frequent drop-bys by the sales manager to reach a final decision.

Build for GLE350W4:
4Matic all wheel drive - Standard
19-inch 5-spoke wheels - Standard
Selenite Grey Metallic exterior color - 992
Black MB-Tex interior color - 111
Brushed aluminum running boards - 846
Aluminum interior trim - 739
Premium 1 package - PO1
- harmon/kardon LOGIC7 surround sound system - 810
AIRMATIC suspension - 489
- AIRMATIC Air Suspension
- Adaptive damping system
Parking assist package - 996
- Parking assist with parking pilot
- Surround view system.

We concluded Premium 1 with Parking Assist Package gave us what we wanted w/o cost of Premium 2 or 3.
There were GLE350's in inventory w/o the air suspension, but I was insistent on that.
I don't think we missed any "must haves" with this build, but let me know if you think we did.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:36 PM

2017 GLE 350 4matic
IMO, the LED light package is a must have on the car. Incredible difference in the brightness and amount of light displayed on the roadway at night. There are a few threads on here just about the difference in lights from the standard halogens to the LED's. They are in the Premium package 2, not sure if they can be added a la cart on the GLE. If you aren't sure, see if the dealer has one on the lot and see if you can test drive it after dark.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:38 PM

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4-Matic
Bicyclista,
Is the pre-wiring included somewhere?
I believe it includes lumbar support and also electric headrest for a VERY inexpensive price.
In 2016- it was $170.00
Old 03-16-2017, 02:42 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by bicyclista

Build for GLE350W4:
Premium 1 package - PO1
- Surround view system.

I don't think we missed any "must haves" with this build, but let me know if you think we did.
Just a few ideas for you. Did you consider any of the features below?

Interior Sport Package
Cabin-air purification system
3-zone climate control
Heated rear seats
Trailer Hitch

Just FYI, a lot of folks on here have complained about the standard headlights, although I know you'd have to get the Premium 2 Package to get the LED headlights. I considered the Aluminum Interior Trim, but decided against it. It looks like it would be prone to scratches from people opening the door while wearing rings.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:46 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 GLE 350 Selenite Grey 15 CLS400 Avalon 2013 XTS
Originally Posted by bicyclista
I'm sure they don't pipe in engine noise on the GLE350; counterproductive on an SUV. BS from sales guy.
The new dealership is much better. We spent 6 hours straight (except for demo time) with a very knowledgeable sales guy and frequent drop-bys by the sales manager to reach a final decision.

Build for GLE350W4:
Premium 1 package - PO1
- Surround view system.

We concluded Premium 1 with Parking Assist Package gave us what we wanted w/o cost of Premium 2 or 3.
There were GLE350's in inventory w/o the air suspension, but I was insistent on that.
Dear Sir it is not to late. Please go back and order the P2 it's worth it. The light package is the only must have item beside the engine and tranny. I order mines without the Parking Assist or Airmatic those where options I could do without no regret. But you will regret not getting the LED LIGHT package. Everything else in P2 is garbage, I know that but the lights. are not. Unless you live in snow country the 4matic is not a must have either either.

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...xperience.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...t-problem.html

Some on here even went so far as to change out the halogen lights for HID.

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...d-success.html

Last edited by longslim; 03-16-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:58 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 GLE 350 Selenite Grey 15 CLS400 Avalon 2013 XTS
Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube
Just a few ideas for you. Did you consider any of the features below?

Interior Sport Package
Cabin-air purification system
3-zone climate control
Heated rear seats
Trailer Hitch

Just FYI, a lot of folks on here have complained about the standard headlights, although I know you'd have to get the Premium 2 Package to get the LED headlights. I considered the Aluminum Interior Trim, but decided against it. It looks like it would be prone to scratches from people opening the door while wearing rings.
For myself I think must of these item are a waste of a money. People tend to over order things in cars, but never use them, like heated rear seat. But it is just me and the wife, and we live So/Cal, so we past on a lot of things on our car.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I'm not sure which package you have to pick or if they are a stand alone item, but I would really try to get the headlight upgrade. Most of the other options I've seen people talk both ways about but so many tell everyone to get the headlights. Since you've ordered the black interior, do you know you can also pick the headliner color? A lot come gray and you have to pick black if you want it. Your SA can add it. I cant remember the code for it right now. That's a nice build by the way and impressive that you added air suspension. Good luck
Old 03-16-2017, 04:07 PM

E320 CDI
Originally Posted by longslim
Dear Sirs it is not to late. Please go back and order the P2 it's worth it. The light package is the only must have item beside the engine and tranny. I order mines without the Parking Assist or Airmatic those where options I could do without no regret. But you will regret not getting the LED LIGHT package. Everything else in P2 is garbage, I know that but the lights. are not. Unless you live in snow country the 4matic is not a must have either either.

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...xperience.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...t-problem.html

Some on here even went so far as to change out the halogen lights for HID.

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...d-success.html
Thank you for the suggestion and links.

FYI, the halogen lights are standard on the 2017 GLC, the HID lights are standard on the 2017 GLE (per our sales guy). He had recommended we stay with the HID lights only because, when he asked how much night driving we do, my wife said "Almost none". So he said in that case the HID's would probably be sufficient.

I just called him and discussed again. He agreed with you that the LED's are much better lights, even versus HID's, and said if we do any significant night driving then he would change his recommendation. We don't do a lot of night driving, but it gets dark pretty early in the Northwest in the winter, so in fact we do more than we might think.

So, I am going to change from Premium 1 to Premium 2. The extra cost is $2,290. We don't get a lot more in P2 we can use except maybe the Adaptive Highbeam Assist and the back side window sunshades, but one accident prevented by the LED's would more than justify the added cost.

Thank you for pointing this out, in time to make the change.
The following users liked this post:
longslim (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 04:44 PM

2017 GLE 350 4matic
The Adaptive Highbeam Assist is a nice addition to the LED headlights. I have Package 2 on mine and I really do like it the LED's with the Adaptive.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:29 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 GLS 450 2017 E300 Sport
HIDs are not standard...Your salesperson either has no clue or is BSing you. Halogens are standard.