Sponsored By:

anyone jump from BMW x5?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 04:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 GLS 450
anyone jump from BMW x5?

Recently picked up a GLS for my wife. We have been more than impressed. Not only fit and finish, but also power, ride comfort, quietness and user interface of the electronics. My wife loves it so much she is actually (gasp) encouraging me to get rid of my two year old BMW x5 (which she doesn't care to drive) in lieu of a GLE- either regular AMG or coupe AMG.

When I test drove both cars I though the coupe was a bit harsh with the 22inch wheels. The regular GLE (non coupe version) was very nice, but almost a bit too big for what I was looking for, and frankly a bit boring despite the power. If I am going to spend $80k on another car, it is going to look the way I want, after all. The size of the X5 is just about the same as the GLE coupe (actually the GLE coupe has a little MORE cargo space, amazingly), but the usable space is a bit better in the x5 (fold down rear tailgate, and larger rear seats).

But certainly the car nut in me LOVED the GLE coupe. But my only concern is how cramped the rear seats seemed and the less usable space compared to the x5. Anyone jump from the x5 to the coupe and have experience with this? Thanks!!
Old 04-11-2017, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I have had customers "jump" across - sure - happily actually - their opionions/reasons

1. GLE-Coupe is so much more a driving car than the hunk X6

2. Major/major + with the selectable profiles - "some" hide Sport setting from their wives -

3. "Some" have 22's - and "some" have the 21" wheel option that as you might think is a bit "softer"

Please note it is now in-between model yrs - so for 2017's you have current on-the-ground + in transit + "locked down" production between now and 2nd decade June

2018"s dealer have Order Guide now - 43's bump to 385 w/fresh tuning - and order entry will probably start next month - with final pricing (about same as 2017) announced in May
Old 04-11-2017, 10:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
GLE43 SUV
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
I have had customers "jump" across - sure - happily actually - their opionions/reasons

1. GLE-Coupe is so much more a driving car than the hunk X6

2. Major/major + with the selectable profiles - "some" hide Sport setting from their wives -

3. "Some" have 22's - and "some" have the 21" wheel option that as you might think is a bit "softer"

Please note it is now in-between model yrs - so for 2017's you have current on-the-ground + in transit + "locked down" production between now and 2nd decade June

2018"s dealer have Order Guide now - 43's bump to 385 w/fresh tuning - and order entry will probably start next month - with final pricing (about same as 2017) announced in May
are the 43 suv's getting a power bump to 385hp too? How sure are you about this, it's the first anyone has mentioned this.

Last edited by Erik Lundh; 04-12-2017 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:46 AM

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 GLS 450 SUV / 2020 BMW X5 X40I
I had two X5 he original body and the e70. The F15 is a piece of ****. GLE is so much better. I picked up my build two weeks ago and haven't been happier. Benz all the way. BMW has gone down hill in quality, design, and customer service in my opinion.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 GLS 450
Do you have the coupe? My only concern is the size difference between the BMW and the Coupe. Actually it is not so much the size as it is how the Space is organized.