MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLE Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-w166-206/)
-   -   GLE 350d W166 after 4000 kms and 2.5 months (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-w166/663870-gle-350d-w166-after-4000-kms-2-5-months.html)

yavor 04-23-2017 04:55 PM

GLE 350d W166 after 4000 kms and 2.5 months

Just wanted to share my experience with the vehicle after some driving and getting to know it. Overall - great car, very quiet, comfortable and easy to drive. I'll describe only the minuses.

1. Gearbox a bit laggy in comfort mode in the low rpm-s, to avoid it you should downshift manually. In sport much better. In comfort the tranny keeps the engine in sometimes extremely low rpm-s, for instance driving at 50 km/h at 6-th with 1200 rpm, makes no sense to me.
2. Fuel consumption in heavy traffic /average speed around 10-13 km/h/ if you drive dynamically can be like 14-16 l/100 even for the diesel. Highway around 8.5-9 at 120 km/h and around 10-10.5 at 150-170 km/h
3. Braking is not a great feature of this vehicle, although it's way over 2 tonnes which explains it to some extent. The X5 stops much better. There is a specific metal-to-metal rubbing sensation sometimes through the brake pedal, already discussed here that it is coming from the gearbox and is considered normal.
4. Specific "clattering" noise from the front suspension, only in comfort, when passing through rounded obstacles on the road a bit faster. My GLE has the air suspension, as far as I have read it is due to it.
5. Windshield wipers may stop in the middle if you open the door which stops the electrical functioning devices like radio etc. MB should update the software and let the wiper mechanism put the wipers in their starting position like in other cars after 1960.

If taking the decision again, I'd order the car one more time. All the rest is great, a pleasure to drive.

nookie 04-23-2017 08:41 PM

There's some real technolgy messups in this car,
Wipers are one, your phone being cutoff in the middle of a call when you open the door after shutting off the car is another, the whole command interface....a dissaster.

I have IPD on mine, seems adjust required braking force as it sees stuff ahead, I kindda like the braking on it.

Drives nice though.

GLE43_Sube 04-24-2017 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by nookie (Post 7125374)
There's some real technolgy messups in this car,
Wipers are one, your phone being cutoff in the middle of a call when you open the door after shutting off the car is another, the whole command interface....a dissaster.

I have IPD on mine, seems adjust required braking force as it sees stuff ahead, I kindda like the braking on it.

Drives nice though.

When you open the door after turning the car off, you kill all power. Your car is just switching from your car's Bluetooth connection back to your phone's connection. It can't maintain a BT connection if your car is off.

Exactly what problems are you having with COMAND?

nookie 04-24-2017 09:03 AM

Re Command system: Hop in a car with Uconnect, you'll figure out in about 60 seconds what it could be

The Command system is Atari level in this car.

Delagle 04-24-2017 05:41 PM

And... it stops!

Hello all, my GLE 350d stops when it tries to start from the star/stop at a traffic light.
It happens only when I first drives it in the morning, after a while the car works perfectly.
3 times at the dealer and no clues at all.

jester1 04-25-2017 06:29 AM

I've had that happen once so far in my 50 mile history