GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

GLE Collision Prevention Assist Plus Review.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 11:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE Mercedes 300d
GLE Collision Prevention Assist Plus Review.

Hi,

I would like to get reviews from you guys how the Collision Prevention Assist Plus is working for you guys.
I read reviews where it said that for one person, SUV stopped completely by braking to avoid accident on highway speeds and other places I read that It can only apply maximum up to 60% of braking power at maximum.
I would really appreciate if you guys could share some reliable documentation that says what the standard feature "Collision Prevention Assist Plus" could do and with detailed explanation.
Also please share your experience with this system avoiding or not avoiding accidents.

Please Note: We are not discussing about the one's with Distronic feature as they have much more capabilities for stopping the car from accident.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
I felt the auto braking only once in mine, GLE350d, in-city driving at a speed of 40-50km/h. The car in front of me stopped rapidly, I was far enough to react on time and even let the car go a bit before started braking. Te system decided I'm gonna hit the front vehicle and reduced the speed, but didn't stop fully, and the traffic started so I have no idea if it would stop. Since this is the same system that is beeping when you are approaching a vehicle in front, my impression is it gives signlas /and applies braking force I guess/ when you come near to another vehicle while accelerating, if the car is just rolling without pressing the throttle it does not react at all. In my case at least.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 mercedes GLE 43 coupe
Originally Posted by yavor
I felt the auto braking only once in mine, GLE350d, in-city driving at a speed of 40-50km/h. The car in front of me stopped rapidly, I was far enough to react on time and even let the car go a bit before started braking. Te system decided I'm gonna hit the front vehicle and reduced the speed, but didn't stop fully, and the traffic started so I have no idea if it would stop. Since this is the same system that is beeping when you are approaching a vehicle in front, my impression is it gives signlas /and applies braking force I guess/ when you come near to another vehicle while accelerating, if the car is just rolling without pressing the throttle it does not react at all. In my case at least.
One system that I found I can't count on is when you stop on an incline,firmly press on the brake & expect the car to hold position.Too many times,my car starts to drift back when there is another car directly behind me.i don't trust it.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:33 AM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by jester1
One system that I found I can't count on is when you stop on an incline,firmly press on the brake & expect the car to hold position.Too many times,my car starts to drift back when there is another car directly behind me.i don't trust it.
Which feature are you trying to use? There are two distinctly different features......Hill Start Assist and the HOLD Function. Hill Start Assist is only designed to hold the brakes momentarily, for the time it takes to move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator. This is no more than about 2 seconds. HSA engages automatically. The HOLD Function must be manually activated by depressing the brake pedal slightly past the stop position. When engaged, you'll see the word "HOLD" in the multifunction display. If you don't see "HOLD", it's not activated. To disengage and continue driving, DO NOT depress the brake pedal. Just depress the accelerator. The HOLD function automatically disengages.

I use both of these features regularly and they work perfectly. If you're following the instructions above and you're still drifting backward, you have a mechanical defect and need to visit your service dept.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:36 AM
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
x2 on "Hold." if it isn't displayed, it isn't on. ron
Old 10-19-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 mercedes GLE 43 coupe
Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube
Which feature are you trying to use? There are two distinctly different features......Hill Start Assist and the HOLD Function. Hill Start Assist is only designed to hold the brakes momentarily, for the time it takes to move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator. This is no more than about 2 seconds. HSA engages automatically. The HOLD Function must be manually activated by depressing the brake pedal slightly past the stop position. When engaged, you'll see the word "HOLD" in the multifunction display. If you don't see "HOLD", it's not activated. To disengage and continue driving, DO NOT depress the brake pedal. Just depress the accelerator. The HOLD function automatically disengages.

I use both of these features regularly and they work perfectly. If you're following the instructions above and you're still drifting backward, you have a mechanical defect and need to visit your service dept.
FIRM hard press on brake,& no...the word "Hold" does not appear.

I guess I'll have to mention it when I take it in for the recall work I still have to get done.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:37 PM

Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic

I guess I'll have to mention it when I take it in for the recall work I still have to get done.
As others above have said the Hold function is not activated by pressing the brake, but manually. For me it's not comfortable to have it on all the time, because every time when i stop at a street light the last sekond the autohold engages the brakes and the stoppin is kindda abrupt, similar is when you start going. The time the car stands still on an icline after releasing the brake is pretty enough to go without rolling back, unless you don't want to try how long it will hold.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:49 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe

You have to activate "HOLD" after coming to a complete stop. It's a two-step process. Try this before you take it in for service. Depress the brake pedal to bring the car to a complete stop. Then, while still depressing the brake pedal, depress it further. You should now see "HOLD" displayed.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:05 PM

Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
Sorry if I'm messing smth, since I don't use the function maybe I'm making a mistake because my BMW had a manual button Auto hold on it and I'm not with my car now so I can check and just assumed in the gle is the same.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:49 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by yavor
Sorry if I'm messing smth, since I don't use the function maybe I'm making a mistake because my BMW had a manual button Auto hold on it and I'm not with my car now so I can check and just assumed in the gle is the same.
No manual button on the GLE. It's activated simply by depressing the brake pedal past the stop point.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE350
Is there anyway to test this feature. I roll up on cars waiting for "something" to happen...and NOTHING. I thought the sequence was a "visual" then "audible"..then the brake is applied???
Old 10-26-2017, 10:27 AM
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Leopardo8
Is there anyway to test this feature. I roll up on cars waiting for "something" to happen...and NOTHING. I thought the sequence was a "visual" then "audible"..then the brake is applied???
you have to "roll up" at an increasing speed to get the earlier warning. i think low speed would happen at last moment. next time you are behind someone making a turn (safely behind) accelerate a little and you should hear and see the warning. make sure you have ample "escape" options, just in case. i can tell you that i get it frequently when people pull in front of me and decelerate or on turns like i described.

another option is to have a junior tech stand in front of the car while a senior tech drives into him. that's what my dealer service did when i told them i didn't think the eyesight on my impreza was working.

good luck, ron
The following users liked this post:
Leopardo8 (10-26-2017)