GLE Dash Cam Hard Wire Help!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE - 400
GLE Dash Cam Hard Wire Help!!!

Hi,

I would need some help hard wiring a dash cam to a GLE 400 (2017)

My concerns are
- Figure out the correct fuse to hard wire the dash cam to.
- I want the dash cam to be turned off when the car is off (no parking mode for me)
- Easiest method to do the wiring (first time hard wiring for a car)

Things I plan to get

- dash cam hard wire kit with ATO fuse. I am looking at this product -
Amazon Amazon
( I believe the gle is using ATO fuse, hope im not wrong)
- test light pen (making sure fuse is off when the car is off) - getting this one
Amazon Amazon
- fuse puller or a pair of pliers
- Trim Removal Tool

My plan is to wire the dash cam to the passenger side of the car. I read a post where someone wired their dash cam to Fuse 10 Ignition Lock 7.5 on the passenger side . I am not sure if the Ignition can be fully turned off because I have also read someone claiming all the fuses on the passenger side are all hot. So I need your help to find out if wiring to the Ignition on the passenger side is correct. If that's wrong, what is the best and easiest place to wire the cable to?

Here is a webpage where I found the location of the fuses in the car
http://www.mercedesmedic.com/fuse-m-...00-550-63-amg/

Your comments are appreciated. Thanks

planning to install it on the passenger seat on the Ignition fuse.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:11 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2017 GLS 350d
Fuses on GLE are indeed ATO. You got the good hardware.
Instead of a pen, I'd get a proper multimeter. You'll get a proper reading of the voltage, but you'll also be able to use it to troubleshoot when things dont work. And they can be pretty unexpensive.
Trim removal tools are a must.
You might also want to get something to push the wires. Like a flexible plastic stick. You tape the wire to one end and use the stick to push the wire behind the trim. It's easier than removing all the trim to route the wires.

To my knowledge, all fuses on the passenger door sill are indeed hot all the time. I have verified that on my GLS. It was also the case on my ML (W166). There might be some configurations where some fuses are added, and are ignition fuses, but I am yet to see it.
The easiest way to wire it is to tap the power from the cigarette lighter fuse. This is below the rear seat. This way you are 100% sure this is an ignition only fuse, it will be exactly the same as plugging your camera directly into the 12V socket between the seats.

Another way to wire it is to tap the power directly on the wire behind the 12V socket, in the center console. That means removing the center console. Not too difficult, but more difficult than just pulling a wire from the back seat fuse box.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ML63 AMG 13 SLK 55 SLK350 AMG kit 07
Just buy a long usb lead and plug it in the cubby box, take out the centre consul and its easy to do
Old 11-05-2018, 10:53 PM

W204 C300
Originally Posted by 350MH83
Fuses on GLE are indeed ATO. You got the good hardware.
Instead of a pen, I'd get a proper multimeter. You'll get a proper reading of the voltage, but you'll also be able to use it to troubleshoot when things dont work. And they can be pretty unexpensive.
Trim removal tools are a must.
You might also want to get something to push the wires. Like a flexible plastic stick. You tape the wire to one end and use the stick to push the wire behind the trim. It's easier than removing all the trim to route the wires.

To my knowledge, all fuses on the passenger door sill are indeed hot all the time. I have verified that on my GLS. It was also the case on my ML (W166). There might be some configurations where some fuses are added, and are ignition fuses, but I am yet to see it.
The easiest way to wire it is to tap the power from the cigarette lighter fuse. This is below the rear seat. This way you are 100% sure this is an ignition only fuse, it will be exactly the same as plugging your camera directly into the 12V socket between the seats.

Another way to wire it is to tap the power directly on the wire behind the 12V socket, in the center console. That means removing the center console. Not too difficult, but more difficult than just pulling a wire from the back seat fuse box.

Sorry, can I can how you would remove the cigarette lighter so that I can tap power from it?

So for on my GLE I'm able to remove the bezel around the radio, the A/C control module but the cigarette lighter socket seems to be in a completely different cavity. It would appear I need to remove the center console controls and maybe the cup holders.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 GLE350 2014 E350 Sport
How do you remove the radio bezel?
Old 06-01-2019, 02:02 PM

mercedes GLE
hi i have same problem with my 2015 GLE aswell passenger side fuse box is all live all the time but i need i of them not live while engine off