Considering GLE 550e

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 12:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Mini Countryman S All4
Considering GLE 550e

Hello, all. New Forum member here...
I'm considering a pre-owned GLE 550e, and I'm hoping that the wisdom of the group can help me reach an informed decision. Sorry for the extended background:
I'm a car guy (Current: 2006 Aston Martin DB9 Volante; Mini Cooper S Countryman All4; Past: Triumph GT6+; Lotus Europa; Mazda RX7; Audi GT; BMW 320i; Merkur Xr4ti; Porsche 928S; Audi A6; Austin Healey 100-6; other utilitarian stuff such as SUVs and minivans). However, I'm retiring next year, which will coincide with my daily driver Mini Countryman reaching 120,000 miles.
My lifestyle change will result in more short "around town" trips such as runs to the stores and other errands. But I suspect that it will also include more long highway trips, such as our 700-mile one-way Interstate haul from the Midwest to the East Coast to visit family.
I want a vehicle that will be safe, comfortable, reliable, and non-stressful for those long trips, which my wife and I typically complete in one day. Her Prius is too light and basic, and my Mini Countryman is too firm and tight. Frankly, the best choice has been our old reliable Toyota Sienna minivan; however, it doesn't have all today's safety features (I want lane departure and collision avoidance features) and it's not all-wheel drive, which I want for Christmas trips. Also, I can't imagine a minivan as my daily driver...
So...I suspect that a GLE 550e will keep us safe and comfortable, and even 10-15 miles of plug-in range will likely meet 80% of my daily retirement-driving needs. But what mileage am I likely to get on those 700-mile highway marathons? And is there ANY difference between 2016s, 2017s, and 2018s that I should pay attention to?
Thank you so much!
-Mike
Old 07-09-2018, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Since you are considering used I can't recall any difference or upgrades between the 2016, 2017 nor 2018.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GL 450
I spent considerable time researching the GLE 550e after a test drive. I wanted something to replace my GLE 450 for all the reasons you stated. I chose the 550e over the competition for a lot of reasons, centered around near AMG performance, when I wanted it, drivers aid features, and cost. I ordered just what I wanted, and after a 4-month wait just took delivery yesterday. After only 50 miles could not be more thrilled and thats w/o the gas engine broken in. This morning I did 8 miles all electric up to 65 MPH. Car said it would go 13.
To answer your question, for model year, its always hard to tell what "internal" mech or software improvements are made, so I believe in getting the latest version made...

By the way my dealer whom I have done business over a very long time was very clear yesterday there will be NO short model year 550e. When they stop building the 18's they are done until, and perhaps, model yr 2020. I also like this year's dash and single screen. I am a techie but also a long term MB driver and I prefer the mix of guages and small screens to large all glass displays, plus no first year bugs to worry about.

Good luck in your hunt! There are several 550e's on lots in Cali getting long in the tooth on flooring time, if your not picky about options or color combos. I was and wanted the P3 package with airmatic with a different color combo, so I ordered.
The following users liked this post:
Zuman (07-13-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML 500
I wanted a GLE 550e since they first came out, but no availability in my state (NM). None of the dealers at that time were hybrid certified in that the service shops did not have mechanics to qualified to service hybrids. I was talked into a 2015 ML 250 diesel (my second ML diesel) and this was to be my 3rd ML. I liked the performance of the ML250 but was feeling like that engine was going to have problems i.e. too small of an engine for that size vehicle. I was always drawn to search for a 550e. This past March I found one in Utah, it was a "Silver Hat", a MB exec car that was used to demo the vehicle and its features at various dealers in the region. It came pretty much loaded up, and I gotta tell ya, the excitement when we picked it up made up for the 10+ hour drive to get it. So first thing out of the shoot was a road trip. The results, on the hwy we averaged about 23 MPG and lots of fun playing with all the buttons and options. This was at Interstate speeds. It is a great ride.

I work from home so I don't have a daily commute, but never hesitate to take it out. We live about 6 miles from the center of town, and most trips are under 20 miles round trip. The first 2 miles are uphill. It is not uncommon for us to get 65+MPG on the trips into town. Note - the screen display always indicates 19 mile range on a full charge. I have never got that, it averages about 13 miles of electric range. I have learned to play with it, and I save the electric range for the first 2 miles uphill and switch to hybrid when I get to the flat part of the trip into town. I gain about 2-3 miles with the regen brakes. Last month I drove it as needed for about 5 weeks before having to refuel. Was out of town for a week, but had more trips into town the week before and the week after we left so average use was close to other months.

In regards to performance, hang on!! This thing accelerates like a Tesla! No diesel turbo lag which is what I was used to. Its my understanding that the engine in the 500e is the same as the AMG GLE 42 without the AMG tuning. I love the surround view, and the quiet ride. I have not used it to tow yet, as I am keeping my '08 ML 320 CDI as a work vehicle. Towing capacity is 5000 lbs, vs 7500 for the ml320 CDI. I have to go into the woods sometimes, on very rocky steep terrain, sometimes in snow. I have never got stuck with the benz, and I should have for what I have put it through. Keeping the 550e for my luxury driving times, want to keep it nice for as long as I can.

Vehicle details - Iridium Silver, P3, running boards, heated ventilated seats, airmatic, magic vision, panoramic roof, parking assist , trailer hitch, Saddle interior with anthracite poplar wood trim. This is a leased vehicle, as I am not sure where MB is going to take the electric vehicle, and as the technology develops I want to be ready to make the jump. In the mean time, I have no range anxiety. If you must run on electric, there is a "Charge" function on the hybrid selector button, and it will fully charge the battery in about 25 minutes, but your fuel economy will take a hit as its an additional load on the gas engine. I charge it with a standard 110V wall outlet, and just plug it in when I get home, and its ready the next morning. I LOVE THIS VEHICLE!
The following users liked this post:
Zuman (07-22-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
During my GLE 550e research I wondered why so few cars were out there and I learned this. Like the above post the dealer has to be certified to sale and service them. Additionally, they are mainly or only sold in CARB states. That's "California Air Resources Board" states so prolly not gonna find these cars in many non CARB states.

"The states adopting CARB standards include Arizona, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia."

There are also additional and longer PHEV and EV battery warranty protection for these cars mandated by the CARB states. There are articles showing PHEV and EV owners losing their battery warranty when they move to a non CARB state.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GL 450
CARB States

Originally Posted by E55 KEV
During my GLE 550e research I wondered why so few cars were out there and I learned this. Like the above post the dealer has to be certified to sale and service them. Additionally, they are mainly or only sold in CARB states. That's "California Air Resources Board" states so prolly not gonna find these cars in many non CARB states.

"The states adopting CARB standards include Arizona, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia."

There are also additional and longer PHEV and EV battery warranty protection for these cars mandated by the CARB states. There are articles showing PHEV and EV owners losing their battery warranty when they move to a non CARB state.
Thanks and well done! All correct. I don't plan on leaving my CARB state (Cali) and here there are plenty of dealers with them on the lots in the major metro areas. I also researched the extended warranty and thats what sealed the commitment for me, we keep our cars a long time. I want to get my money's worth.

As for the GLE almost up to 400 miles now and just TOTALLY love it. The tech works flawlessly.