MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLE Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-w166-206/)
-   -   Under powered (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-w166/718896-under-powered.html)

BACnMercedes 08-21-2018 01:29 PM

Under powered

I noticed something yesterday. I took my car ('16 GLE400) in for a service issue and got an '18 GLE350 for a loaner. I've noticed when driving my car in hot weather and the air condition on high (I've also read a few other post about this) that it seems to take more brake pressure to stop or hold the car still at a stop. Well while driving the 350 yesterday for sometime in the heat with the air running high, the car did not seem to idle higher or move quicker when the brake was released from a complete stop as my 400 does. Nor did it seem to take more brake pressure to slow the car down to a stop. And, the car seemed to cool its interior down faster and colder than my 400. (But, it in no way did the 350 had as much pep or accleration as my 400 does.) So are some things worth the smaller engine? I'm not trying to argue, I'm just curious as to others thoughts on smaller and smaller motors with bigger and more turbos. It seems to me that they are sometimes more fuel efficient but not efficient at other things.

Dunga 08-21-2018 03:47 PM

I think it’s getting a bit silly this whole downsizing stuff. You can get an equinox with a turbo 1.5 liter I4 now. I drove my friend’s to his house. It was no rocket yeah, but also it didn’t have a crazy good fuel economy. 32 mpg highway is was I got. My now sold Honda Crosstour had a 3.5 liter naturally aspirated V6, 278hp and got me 30mpg highway. And the car weighed over 4,000lbs. So I get they’re trying to satisfy government regulations by meeting arbitrary cutoffs, but they are missing the forest from the trees. Look at the newer engines from Volvo, turbocharged supercharged 4 banger. Just bike home man!

Ok rant over!

Something I found in my loaner GLE350s is the lack of the auto stop/start button. I was in shock. My 63 has it and the 350 doesn’t? Also our old GLK350 had it. I don’t get it. Maybe it’s engineered to always be on in the new GLE350 and not give you the option to switch it off? I can’t recall the engine shutting down at stop lights.

On another tangent, at least McLaren is upsizing going to a 4.0 ttV8 from a 3.8 last gen!!

skw 08-22-2018 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dunga (Post 7534705)
I think it’s getting a bit silly this whole downsizing stuff. You can get an equinox with a turbo 1.5 liter I4 now. I drove my friend’s to his house. It was no rocket yeah, but also it didn’t have a crazy good fuel economy. 32 mpg highway is was I got. My now sold Honda Crosstour had a 3.5 liter naturally aspirated V6, 278hp and got me 30mpg highway. And the car weighed over 4,000lbs. So I get they’re trying to satisfy government regulations by meeting arbitrary cutoffs, but they are missing the forest from the trees. Look at the newer engines from Volvo, turbocharged supercharged 4 banger. Just bike home man!

Ok rant over!

Something I found in my loaner GLE350s is the lack of the auto stop/start button. I was in shock. My 63 has it and the 350 doesn’t? Also our old GLK350 had it. I don’t get it. Maybe it’s engineered to always be on in the new GLE350 and not give you the option to switch it off? I can’t recall the engine shutting down at stop lights.

On another tangent, at least McLaren is upsizing going to a 4.0 ttV8 from a 3.8 last gen!!

The GLE350 never had (nor needed?) auto start/stop.