Sponsored By:

New 2019 GLE400

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 07:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 ML350
New 2019 GLE400

My lease on my '16 GLC is up in Feb, so I wanted a '19 GLE400 (having had 3 MLs before). MB isn't letting dealers custom order, so my dealer found me one in the colors I wanted (Cardinal Red, Ginger Beige leather), but with equipment I didn't ask for. Anybody have comments on these items? Worth the money?

Air ionization with air filter
Running boards
Illumination kit for running boards
Wheel locking bolts
Wood/leather steering wheel
20" wheels

Do the 20" wheels make the ride harsher? Are the running boards illuminated all the time?
Panorama roof
Trailer hitch
Anthracite Poplar wood
Rear seat entertainment prewiring
Old 09-19-2018, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Just my opinions:

Never had the ionization air but it sounds gimmicky.

The running boards are good for smaller children and shorter wives if they are wearing dresses. Otherwise its just something to get the back of your pants leg dirty when its raining and you get in and out of the car. My next one will not have them unles they are power. My boards were about $600

Illumination kit would be nice if you actually want the running boards. Personally I think they are tacky looking they way MB made them. They stick out too much and are noticable. I think they are on all the time but someone else migt can confirm this. I think the light kit is about $600

Wheel lock bolts are a nice insurance policy to have but they should be a very cheap option. I think mine were $125.

Wood steering wheel has a very nice feel but I like the look of a black wheel.

20" wheels look great!! But you give up a little in ride quality but you will probably never notice. Get the 20's!!

I HATE HATE HATE pano roofs. They are hot and the thin fabric MB uses to cover them does very little to keep out heat. I actually tinited my last pano roof and still could not keep the all black car cool. I think it is an expensive, over exaggerated, option.

Get the trailer hitch!!! You may not ever use it but it will help with resale value and its much easy to get it now and it work properly versus having some after market add it. I think mine was $575

I have had the rear seat pre wiring but have never used it. I'm not really sure why you would use it since now a days its just so easy to hand an old tablet to whomever is in the rear seat if you need one. If I remeber correctly it is about $175
The following users liked this post:
schroedinger (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 02:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GL 350d
Spot on !
Old 09-19-2018, 09:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,818 Likes on 3,008 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Running boards - I like them, mine are not lighted.
Wheel locking bolts - I like them, no reason not to have them in my view.
20" wheels - the ride is not harsh at all in my view. Previous vehicle is a late model VW Touareg and I would say the ride is similar but not the same.
Trailer hitch is a must for me. I haven't used mine yet.
Anthracite poplar wood is nice, no complaints.
I have the rear seat entertainment prewiring, but not sure how or if I will use it.

Last edited by chassis; 09-19-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Please understand the OP was correct - meaning the way the factory built it is the way it comes.

If you need to add a hitch to a GLE - then I would recommend the aftermarket Stealth Hitch - over the MB hitch or Stealth is a bit more than the cheaper Curt hitch.

Stealth has a unique design - and is a very/very well crafted hitch - when not in use - you "drop out" the entire rear receiver (which is available in Class II for bike racks or Class 3 for towing) - for a super clean look when NOT using the hitch.

My customers LOVE their Stealth hitches - l mean LOVE !
Old 09-20-2018, 02:06 AM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
Everyone is giving you good info. The runnings boards are a PITA and like said, they just keep your pants legs dirty. Good for kids though. In fact I removed my and had the standard rocker panels put on. No comments on the lights, but if you have to put a trailer hitch on it, the STEALTH hitch is the way to go. I installed one on my Subaru Outback and its is bullet proof and completely hidden vs the factory hitch. My ML 350 has the factory hitch, it came that way, but the STEALTH hitch is the best. I replaced the 19inch wheels that came on my ML350 with another set of Mercedes 19" wheels because it rides better and smaller tires are easier to handle and cheaper to buy. But I'm an old guy, gone past " how it looks in the shower, vs to how it works in the bedroom"
Old 09-21-2018, 03:45 AM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
I have a shorter wife and 2 kids so the running boards are a necessity here. Not sure which style of illumination yours will have but I prefer the lights on my current GLE. Each side has 5 round lights that really do light up the area next to the vehicle. We had a newer GLS loaner once where the lights were a strip of LED's built into the side sill that barely did anything at all.

Trailer hitch is a must have, even if you don't plan on using it yourself.

We also had the wood/leather wheel on our ML and now have the heated all leather wheel on our GLE. I much prefer the functionality of the heated wheel.

I can careless for wheel locks. If you want them, take them, that's what I pay insurance for. Plus, they're just one more hassle to deal when changing wheels or a tire.

Rear entertainment pre-wiring is only $170, drop in the bucket compared to the price of the car. You're not going to use it as it has MB proprietary connectors and can only be used w/ the MB accessory system. However, bundled with it you also get lumbar support, the memory presets, and power headrest for the front passenger seat.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:03 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2017 GLC300 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Originally Posted by schroedinger
My lease on my '16 GLC is up in Feb, so I wanted a '19 GLE400 (having had 3 MLs before). MB isn't letting dealers custom order, so my dealer found me one in the colors I wanted (Cardinal Red, Ginger Beige leather), but with equipment I didn't ask for. Anybody have comments on these items? Worth the money?

Air ionization with air filter - Dont have this, If you need this, go for it, i dont know what package number this is
Running boards - Illumination kit for running boards - It only goes well if you have the illumination kit, it looks good at night time, ive gotten compliments
Wheel locking bolts - Either way
Wood/leather steering wheel - Either way
20" wheels - Either way, depending on how tall you are may be harder to get in, up to you

Do the 20" wheels make the ride harsher? Are the running boards illuminated all the time? - Have the stock rims so i cant really say for the 20" rims/ Yes they illuminate day and night, bad part of this feature
Panorama roof - I like this feature, 1x a week i open it and drive (since im in LA, i love the extra sunshine , just me though)
Trailer hitch - Agree with others and say have it,
Anthracite Poplar wood - Either way
Rear seat entertainment prewiring - Have this too, its probably not ever going to be used