MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLE Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-w166-206/)
-   -   Opinions on Airmatic? (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class-w166/726955-opinions-airmatic.html)

buddy0329 11-13-2018 11:04 AM

Opinions on Airmatic?

Thoughts / opinions form those who have Airmatic?

Worth it? Or Skip it?

What's your favorite thing about it?

Does it help performance in spirited driving or is more about comfort or something else entirely?

2012MLBlue 11-28-2018 07:53 AM

I am very happy with it for the following reasons:

1. Sport setting perfect for me 99% of the time. Not harsh but firm enough. Ability to create custom profile where my steering and suspension is set to sport but engine set to comfort.
2. Comfort is good for some bumpy roads or when I see a few speed bumps ahead. Change is immediate and much softer.
3. When towing the vehicle stays level, no rear end sag at all.
4. Ability to raise entire vehicle significantly at the push of a button - I just used this last week when driving through deep snow left by snowplow at entrance to my driveway after big snowfall.

I've had it on last two and ordered it on my 2020.

buddy0329 11-28-2018 09:49 AM

Thank you for the reply. I placed my order for the 2020 without Airmatic but am now wondering if that is the correct choice. My preference would be for a firm and responsive ride - Similar to what Q7 & X5 offer.

I currently drive an 6spd manual Audi S4 so going to an SUV is going to be a huge change for me. The suspension is the biggest consideration here.

GLE43_Sube 11-28-2018 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by buddy0329 (Post 7615256)
I placed my order for the 2020 without Airmatic but am now wondering if that is the correct choice.

You may want to try to change that order. You'll miss the feature. You'd never know my car (Coupe) weighs almost 5,000 lbs. and rolls on 22's. A big part of the reason is the Airmatic.

buddy0329 11-28-2018 09:15 PM

My fear is the Airmatic option will make the car too "floaty". Unjustified?
Did you order your 43? None of the local dealers have had any GLE SUV's equipped with the Airmatic option.

Zack Spencer's comments on the Airmatic at around 8min 40sec are scaring me off:

GLE43_Sube 11-28-2018 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by buddy0329 (Post 7615939)
My fear is the Airmatic option will make the car too "floaty". Unjustified?
Did you order your 43? None of the local dealers have had any GLE SUV's equipped with the Airmatic option.

Zack Spencer's comments on the Airmatic at around 8min 40sec are scaring me off:

https://youtu.be/g5yX45TSpuM?t=518

Actually, I didn't hear him use the term "floaty". He said it's a little too soft for his taste. His interpretation is purely subjective. I wholeheartedly disagree. You know what they say about opinions. When I think of floaty, I think of my Dad's '74 Buick Electra 225. That thing floated so much, you had to take Dramamine before each drive. This car certainly does not "float". I don't think "Comfort" mode is soft at all. I'd consider it normal, with "Sport" mode being noticeably firmer.

Yes, I had to order mine. At that time, most dealers had none and a few dealers had only one. They were extremely rare. Luckily, my dealer had one on the lot. It didn't have all of the options I wanted, but it had the exact combination of performance features I was interested in, so I was able to accurately judge the driving characteristics. Keep in mind I have the Coupe, so the weight distribution and handling may be slightly different.

Don't take my word for it. I would strongly suggest you find one equipped with Airmatic and judge for yourself. Check dealers outside your normal radius. I'm sure you'll find one.

buddy0329 11-29-2018 01:57 PM

The reviewer did not state it was floaty; I said that I feared it would make the car feel floaty. He's an owner of a Porsche Cayenne and stated in the comments that he still prefers that to the MB. I raise the data point since I recently drove the new Cayenne and found it a fantastic driver's car. I loved the suspension but alas it lacks the cargo room available in SUV's with traditional silhouettes.

So far no luck on finding a Airmatic equipped GLE locally amongst half a dozen dealerships.

C280 Sport 12-01-2018 09:47 PM

Airmagic :) Cars with airmatic float on clouds! My wifes ML does not have it because she did not want it. She missed out I think lol.

Gurpreet_Singh 12-04-2018 08:58 PM

Love airmatic

Love airmatic. The comfort mode is so comfortable. Totally worth it.

rustybear3 12-04-2018 10:33 PM

The only thing to remember: when it fails, it's very expensive to replace. Despite this, kinda wish I had gotten this on my CAB; all comes down to money I guess. A $2000 option; needed to make a cut somewhere.

legendary 12-22-2018 01:48 AM

Airmatic is definitely not floaty. They have different settings based on your needs at the moment. Need soft? Go to comfort. Need firm and sporty? Go to Sport or Sport+. I have it on my CL and GLE coupe. Plus you can adjust it to your desire on Individual mode!