Tires for Winter ice GLE 300d?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE300d E320cdi 230SL
Cool Tires for Winter ice GLE 300d?

Hi All,
I'm just about to take delivery on a 2016 GLE 300d, and it has All Season Pirelli Scorpion Verde R 19s. I KNOW I need to get something better for the hilly, slick, often ice and occasionally snowy roads in the winter here (Oregon)
Mostly it rains. So: any good recommendations? I'm OK with getting rims and 18" wheels for winter along with the appropriate tires.

I had some Blizzaks on my Ford Explorer which I drove for a couple winters, but when it really got icy, they were insufficient, so I replaced them with studded snow tires, problem solved! Maybe that is what I'll have to do again, but interested in input, for sure!

Thanks so much in advance.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:25 AM

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4-Matic
My choice

I just purchased Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires in 255-50-19. My original tires were the Continental LX Sport- they were good tires and could have gone with them again, but I always look around for the latest technology tire. They lasted 50,000 miles.
The Goodyear's are Severe snow rated and I just drove through our first snow storm here in Chicago the other week. 8 inches of snow with blizzard warnings- (you know....another normal day in winter in Chicago) They were awesome! Another factor in my decision was the top rating from real users on Tire Rack. I wanted tires that I wouldn't have to switch with the seasons.
I have a 4Matic and this makes all the difference in the world. Good luck with your research.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:18 AM

GLE300d E320cdi 230SL
Originally Posted by Chefcct
I just purchased Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires in 255-50-19. My original tires were the Continental LX Sport- they were good tires and could have gone with them again, but I always look around for the latest technology tire. They lasted 50,000 miles.
The Goodyear's are Severe snow rated and I just drove through our first snow storm here in Chicago the other week. 8 inches of snow with blizzard warnings- (you know....another normal day in winter in Chicago) They were awesome! Another factor in my decision was the top rating from real users on Tire Rack. I wanted tires that I wouldn't have to switch with the seasons.
I have a 4Matic and this makes all the difference in the world. Good luck with your research.
Thank you! I admit, I wouldn't even have normally considered Goodyear.
Do you get much ice with your snow? That is the real bugaboo here in Oregon- we don't get much of the white stuff.
J
Old 12-05-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4-Matic
We get some ice, but more snow than ice.
If you get that much ice, I think only chains would work.
Be well.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:49 PM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
I have had good experiences with Blizzaks. I ran the WS80 on 2 fwd Honda Accords and 2 rwd BMW's. I also used the DM-V1 on a ML350 BlueTec and GLE350 (gas). Then yesterday I just put a set of new DM-V2's on our GLS450. The only other tire I liked better was the Nokian WR which I had on another rwd BMW. The WR's can be used all year round if you like. Then there's also the Nokian Hakkapeliitta which can go through anything.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
I just got michelin pilot alpin pa5 suv in 255-55-19.

They handle really nice and have a mileage warranty as well as being v rated.
The following users liked this post:
blissjoy (12-09-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 11:34 AM

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
I have Michelin Ice on my ML and they work great during our winter blizzards last year in MN.

i just put a set of Nokian Heppeletta R3s on my BMW 528xi drive and they seem to be doing a great job also.

The R3s were rather best over Michelin and Blizzaks so I had to try them and yes they are very good. Perhaps overkill.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:54 PM

GLE300d E320cdi 230SL
Thank you very much skw- very helpful, especially as you have real world experience on the same vehicle (almost).
I have studded tires for my Ford Explorer, and those work great, and now I am just using the DM-V1 as my daily drivers until I have to put the studs back on!
The GLE arrives tomorrow, so I'll see how the installed tires do, but I think they are all-season.
Consumer Reports seems to like the DM-V2s for ice, snow and hydroplaning, so that is another plus. They liked the Hakkapeliitta and they dinged the WR for wet braking.
Just curious, I notice you went to gas with the GLE after having the bluetec ML- was it due to availability, driveability, or something(s) else?
Old 12-09-2018, 11:00 PM

GLE300d E320cdi 230SL
Do you find the R3s stop well on wet pavement vs the Michelin Ice?
Old 12-10-2018, 07:45 PM

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
It’s hard to tell how they stop on wet pavement because every brake slam is different but both stop really well
Old 12-29-2018, 11:09 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 GLE450
We have Cooper winter tires for our 2016 GLE 300d here in North Dakota. They work fine in our climate, which is colder and drier than yours. They are noiser on pavement than the stock Continentals, but not too bad. Sadly, there aren’t a lot of tire choices for 19 inch wheels. When the Coopers and the Continentals wear out, I’m hoping there will be a decent 19 inch all terrain tire available so we won’t have to change tires twice a year. If you think 18’s will fit, that will give you a lot more choices. BFG all terrain TA’s are great, we have them on our Jeep Wrangler and Chevy truck. Good traction in snow (mountain snowflake symbol) and fairly quiet on dry pavement. We had studded Nokians on an 06 Cayenne, and they were terrific on ice and snow, but pretty noisy on pavement.

i hope you enjoy your 300d as much as we are enjoying ours.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:52 PM

GLE300d E320cdi 230SL
Originally Posted by JohninBismarck
We have Cooper winter tires for our 2016 GLE 300d here in North Dakota. They work fine in our climate, which is colder and drier than yours. They are noiser on pavement than the stock Continentals, but not too bad. Sadly, there aren’t a lot of tire choices for 19 inch wheels. When the Coopers and the Continentals wear out, I’m hoping there will be a decent 19 inch all terrain tire available so we won’t have to change tires twice a year. If you think 18’s will fit, that will give you a lot more choices. BFG all terrain TA’s are great, we have them on our Jeep Wrangler and Chevy truck. Good traction in snow (mountain snowflake symbol) and fairly quiet on dry pavement. We had studded Nokians on an 06 Cayenne, and they were terrific on ice and snow, but pretty noisy on pavement.

i hope you enjoy your 300d as much as we are enjoying ours.
Hi John in Bismarck
and thank you so much for your detailed and informative response!
Fortunately, we've had a drier and warmer than usual winter, so I haven't yet done anything about the tires, although I had one little fishtail going downhill on curves, already going pretty cautiously/slowly, and it was about freezing level, not much lower. Black ice is our nemesis here. So, for the long run I will need something better.
I think your suggestion of 18" wheels makes sense, so I'll first look for a set of 18" rims for winter and then swap out annually as I do with this vehicle's predecessor. Studded tires are hands down better, it seems, but I do feel guilty tearing up the roads when mostly we don't "need" the studs.

Yes, I am loving this 300d!! And the great mileage (about 29 so far, combined) which is nearly double my Explorer that it replaced.

Joyce
Old 01-16-2019, 12:16 AM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by blissjoy
Thank you very much skw- very helpful, especially as you have real world experience on the same vehicle (almost).
I have studded tires for my Ford Explorer, and those work great, and now I am just using the DM-V1 as my daily drivers until I have to put the studs back on!
The GLE arrives tomorrow, so I'll see how the installed tires do, but I think they are all-season.
Consumer Reports seems to like the DM-V2s for ice, snow and hydroplaning, so that is another plus. They liked the Hakkapeliitta and they dinged the WR for wet braking.
Just curious, I notice you went to gas with the GLE after having the bluetec ML- was it due to availability, driveability, or something(s) else?
Sorry, now seeing this. We had a '12 ML diesel for almost 4 yrs and loved it. The GLE only came w/ a 4cyl diesel and my wife hated the way it drove as it had a good bit less torque than the 6cyl in the ML. We weren't thrilled about the gas engine in the GLE350 but preferred it over the smaller diesel.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:37 PM

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 C43 Coupe, 2017 GLE63, 2007 CL600, 1985 SEC560, 2015 FIAT 500,
I lived for 4 years in Russia. No tire comes close to Nokians. Nothing!
blissjoy (01-31-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 09:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 GLE400
Definitely can't beat the Nokian Hakkas, especially studded. Blizzaks are a pretty good silver medal if you get the WS series, but those are for cars. Their SUV series is kind of mediocre, and the run flat series are absolute garbage. Anything from Michelin is completely useless.

I live where it is -30C in the winter and have tried most winter tires.
blissjoy (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 05:19 PM

GLE300d E320cdi 230SL
Yes, I can see your point about the torque. I have the '06 320cdi with the bigger engine and loads of torque. However, the GLE 300d is just great for my daily winter driving needs, and when I need a 'buzz" I can always hop in the cdi!!

Appreciate your candor- useful!
J
Old 01-31-2019, 05:22 PM

GLE300d E320cdi 230SL
Originally Posted by skw
Sorry, now seeing this. We had a '12 ML diesel for almost 4 yrs and loved it. The GLE only came w/ a 4cyl diesel and my wife hated the way it drove as it had a good bit less torque than the 6cyl in the ML. We weren't thrilled about the gas engine in the GLE350 but preferred it over the smaller diesel.
Yes, I can see your point about the torque. I have the '06 320cdi with the bigger engine and loads of torque. However, the GLE 300d is just great for my daily winter driving needs, and when I need a 'buzz" I can always hop in the cdi!!

Appreciate your candor- useful!
J