Sponsored By:

Electronic Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 911 (991.1) 4-S conv
Electronic Parking Brake

Every time the car is turned off, the electronic parking brake sets automatically. This results in my having to either (a) pull the release each time I start the car or (b) putting the car in gear and having a slight 'jerk" while the electronic brake automatically disengages. I find this feature annoying. Is there any way to permanently disable this on a 2016 GLE?
Old 01-10-2019, 07:31 PM

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Try pulling the release while in park before turning off the car
The following users liked this post:
psnevets (09-18-2020)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 GLE400
They have gone too far....

I find it incredibly annoying. They are taking this nanny/safety stuff too far. All the manufacturers are getting real concerned about driver's not placing the transmission in park before exiting the vehicle. But really, do we really need the car to activate the parking brake as well? Early years of the W166 don't do this. I want mine coded out. I'm perfectly capable of operating the parking brake when I want it on.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:59 AM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by oilandgas
Every time the car is turned off, the electronic parking brake sets automatically. This results in my having to either (a) pull the release each time I start the car or (b) putting the car in gear and having a slight 'jerk" while the electronic brake automatically disengages. I find this feature annoying. Is there any way to permanently disable this on a 2016 GLE?
I don't get any jerk when the electronic parking brake disengages. Does this only happen when you park on an incline/decline, or all of the time? Either way, this shouldn't be happening, because the brake pedal is depressed first before you shift into "D" or "R". You may need an adjustment.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
I agree, I virtually feel nothing when the electronic brake is released...you can barely hear it. I'd take yours into the dealer and have it adjusted.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:01 AM

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
E43AMG
Originally Posted by oilandgas
yes, this is possible, I did this on mine GLE and E43AMG also

I can make an OBD2 plug that will change this at your GLE permanently
I mean that parking brake will not automatically engaged but still will be possible to do that manually
Old 01-12-2019, 10:36 AM

Porsche 911 (991.1) 4-S conv
Vladimir, How much would you charge for that?

Are there any other 'hidden" features you can unlock?
Old 01-31-2019, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 GLE350 4MATIC
Found a video on how to disable it.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Try holding your foot generously on the brake when you put the car in drive and slightly tap the gas. I do this and it disengages the parking brake and I barley feel it. Then I just release the brake and drive off. I do most of this second nature while getting belted up and plugging in the pain in the rear end carplay.
Good luck.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:21 PM

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic, 2019 GLS 450 4Matic
Originally Posted by GermanCars
I find it incredibly annoying. They are taking this nanny/safety stuff too far. All the manufacturers are getting real concerned about driver's not placing the transmission in park before exiting the vehicle. But really, do we really need the car to activate the parking brake as well? Early years of the W166 don't do this. I want mine coded out. I'm perfectly capable of operating the parking brake when I want it on.
I felt the same way initially, but then recalled that parking brakes tend to rust and "freeze up" when not used regularly. Unless this system is engineered better than past cars, better to know if not being applied automatically (regularly) will induce problems or not.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 GLE400
My issues with automatic parking brake actuation are two fold,
Yet another step necessary to get in and drive my vehicle.
&
Just how long is the parking brake mechanism going to last if operated constantly. Did they beef up the system for constant duty use. How many function cycles is it up to? Down here in the flat lands the parking brake just isn't needed all that much. I can see the system needing repair much sooner with several cycles of use a day.
There is genuine experience behind my concern, BMW E66 7 series, among others, had a similar system that would only go a few years before failing.
Just one more costly thing to fail unnecessarily.

Last edited by GermanCars; 03-19-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:52 PM

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4-Matic
This video shows a guy MANUALLY disengaging the parking brake every time- Sheesh!
Old 03-11-2019, 10:00 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
I think if you stop the car and put it in Park and then take your foot Off the brake pedal and then turn Off the car it will not engage the parking brake.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:08 AM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Tirgoman
I think if you stop the car and put it in Park and then take your foot Off the brake pedal and then turn Off the car it will not engage the parking brake.
It will, at least on my car.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:47 AM

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic, 2019 GLS 450 4Matic
Originally Posted by GermanCars
My issues with automatic parking brake actuation are fold,
Yet another step necessary to get in and drive my vehicle.
&
Just how long is the parking brake mechanism going to last if operated constantly. Did they beef up the system for constant duty use. How many function cycles is it up to? Down here in the flat lands the parking brake just isn't needed all that much. I can see the system needing repair much sooner with several cycles of use a day.
There is genuine experience behind my concern, BMW E66 7 series, among others, had a similar system that would only go a few years before failing.
Just one more costly thing to fail unnecessarily.
Based on all other cars I've had over the years, and many a time on an American car clamping a visegrip to the parking brake cable to "persuade" it back in to release the brakes, parking brakes were meant to be used all the time and NOT here and there. The distance the cable travels back and forth isn't going to wear it out and if not used all the time I wouldn't ever expect to use it and not have it hang up.

I don't remember a car I've ever owned that the parking brake system didn't rust up, especially if it's seldom or never used- so I'd say use the automatic system and keep it working.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:18 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
MB is not cable operated, it's built into each rear wheel. Just use the method I posted earlier and it will not actuate, problem solved and you have a quick seemless drive away.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 323 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by Tirgoman
Very interesting observation. Now I know: I have to Stop car first, put it to Park, then take my foot Off the brake pedal (do all that) before shutting the car off. Before I read that I was just shutting the car off on a fly - it did the rest by itself: stopping, putting itself into park then releasing brake pedal.

Seriously, is there any other way to stop and turn off any AT car?
Old 09-18-2020, 05:21 AM

Gle450
Originally Posted by threeMBs
Very interesting observation. Now I know: I have to Stop car first, put it to Park, then take my foot Off the brake pedal (do all that) before shutting the car off. Before I read that I was just shutting the car off on a fly - it did the rest by itself: stopping, putting itself into park then releasing brake pedal.

Seriously, is there any other way to stop and turn off any AT car?
It will engage , at least for 2020 GLE, I'm trying to find a solution to that too.