Sponsored By:

2016 GLE350 Trip Menu- Consumption "Charge" Icon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 10:57 AM

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic, 2019 GLS 450 4Matic
2016 GLE350 Trip Menu- Consumption "Charge" Icon

I've seen the "charge" box turn green, at times, showing a charging condition when coasting downhill.

What is charging- the main battery?

I've seen a few general references to another vehicle battery, but without information or details if there actually is another battery, or what then it powers, I'd like to know as others may as well.

Also, what is the level when not charging?

Charge indication that shows green when charging occurs.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:40 AM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by GLE John
I've seen the "charge" box turn green, at times, showing a charging condition when coasting downhill.

What is charging- the main battery?

I've seen a few general references to another vehicle battery, but without information or details if there actually is another battery, or what then it powers, I'd like to know as others may as well.

Also, what is the level when not charging? Charge indication that shows green when charging occurs.
It's ridiculous that MB keeps the auxiliary battery shrouded in mystery. I could find only one reference to this battery in the manual. As best I can tell, it's a backup battery for the trans. I think I also read somewhere that it retains your other power settings (radio presets, seat, mirror and steering wheel settings, etc.) in the event your main battery dies. Looking at the attached pic, it appears to be 12V. The location of the auxiliary battery varies wildly, based on model and year. Some are under the hood. Some are in the spare tire well. In the newer vehicles, I believe it's adjacent to the main battery under the front passenger's seat. See video attached. Being that it's lead-acid, like all rechargeable batteries, it will have a limited lifespan. The message below will appear in the Multi-function Display when it needs to be replaced.

The following users liked this post:
SUV John (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the information!

Sometime after winter I'll be doing the "explore the Mercedes" orientation so I'll see about maybe finding out the status of the battery then- and where it actually is.

These maintenance-free type of batteries are available from multiple sources, like Batteries Plus, and are undoubtedly less expensive than a genuine Mercedes.

From using these type of batteries before, there should be a higher amp-hour capacity that would last longer as well so long as the case dimensions are the same.

Last edited by SUV John; 02-27-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:29 PM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by GLE John
These maintenance-free type of batteries are available from multiple sources, like Batteries Plus, and are undoubtedly less expensive than a genuine Mercedes.
Anything without the "MB" name on it will undoubtedly be cheaper. However, I'm always cautious when it comes to batteries. Amazon, eBay, etc. are full of all kinds of inferior batteries and even counterfeits. Not only is the lifespan shorter, but some are downright dangerous. They can leak or even explode under the right conditions. With something as expensive as a car, you have to ask is it worth the savings.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube
Anything without the "MB" name on it will undoubtedly be cheaper. However, I'm always cautious when it comes to batteries. Amazon, eBay, etc. are full of all kinds of inferior batteries and even counterfeits. Not only is the lifespan shorter, but some are downright dangerous. They can leak or even explode under the right conditions. With something as expensive as a car, you have to ask is it worth the savings.
Totally true about online counterfeits, it always pays to confirm the source.

Batteries from local sources like I mentioned Batteries Plus are sources that quality and fit can be confirmed. From radio control vehicles to motorcycle, aircraft, boats, and so on, batteries are much better both in quality and reliability than they were in the past. Different brands can definitely make a difference in reliability like in reserve capacity and CCA's.

Who knows, the Mercedes aux battery may be what is the best choice down the road when I need one.

What's interesting to note on the auxiliary batteries in particular is knowing that Mercedes doesn't make their own as evident by the "Made in Taiwan" on the label.

Mercedes still could have taken the mystery out of where they are in vehicles and much more about them.