GLE 450-Some Random Thoughts & More

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 692 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by DMG
I have the same question. If anyone knows what this car in the circle in the HUD means please let us know!

It is truly an amazing car, I must say it appears to be driving better with time somehow: gear shifts seem to be smoother and cruise control works better, although still some crazy "short stops" still occurring, especially if someone pulls out of or into my lane in front of me. I've learned its better to just take control if anything unusual occurs.

I have a few other minor questions that I've searched the manual for without success:

1. If I leave my wife and child in the car to go run into a store, with the car running and the keys in the car, invariably the engine stops and the air-conditioner stops. I can't for the life of me figure out how to prevent this from happening. Taking auto-stop off doesn't do the trick.
2. It would be super if you could get the name of the song that is being played on Sirius XM to appear in the instrument panel, or the station name in the HUD (as opposed to "Station 50"). Anyone know how to change this?
3. I can almost never get the trunk to open by kicking my foot on either side of the tow hitch. Its worked a few times when I first got the car. Anyone else have any luck with this?
I tested this with my car for almost 10 minutes and had no issues. Car still running with the Air on. I didn’t lock the car and I took the key fob with me a distance of 80’. I see you left your key in the car.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:14 AM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
Does the MB remote come with a key? On my current vehicle I would leave the car running and lock it from the outside using my physical key which slides into the remote itself.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Emergency key

Originally Posted by bad habit
Does the MB remote come with a key? On my current vehicle I would leave the car running and lock it from the outside using my physical key which slides into the remote itself.
Yes, but you have to open a cover on the back of the door handle.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ron.s
I tested this with my car for almost 10 minutes and had no issues. Car still running with the Air on. I didn’t lock the car and I took the key fob with me a distance of 80’. I see you left your key in the car.
While waiting for my wife shopping I tried with the key inside with the doors unlocked and again with the vehicle locked. Still no shut down.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 GLS 450, 2018 GLE 4matic
While waiting for my wife shopping I tried with the key inside with the doors unlocked and again with the vehicle locked. Still no shut down.
I had that happen in my 2018 gle two weeks (ish) ago. They had to order some part because nobody could get it to go off, even with the key turned off and walking away from the vehicle. I don't know what part they got, but it fixed the problem. I could ask what it was ( I threw away the receipt/description).
Old 07-10-2019, 09:23 PM
DMG

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2001 G500
Strange, on numerous occasions I would leave my wife in the car with our son because he was napping and I could not for the life of me keep the air running. I think if its in Park and I open and close the drivers door and leave it shuts the car off. I need to figure out my settings or take back to the dealer.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DMG
Strange, on numerous occasions I would leave my wife in the car with our son because he was napping and I could not for the life of me keep the air running. I think if its in Park and I open and close the drivers door and leave it shuts the car off. I need to figure out my settings or take back to the dealer.
I did that exact thing and mine kept running. With or without the key inside didn’t matter. Opened the door after putting in park and closed the door, also left it open. Mine does an occasional weird thing or two randomly so there may be some software flaws that can be fixed. If enough of these get reported it might speed up a fix but I’m not expecting anything very soon.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by beth22
I had that happen in my 2018 gle two weeks (ish) ago. They had to order some part because nobody could get it to go off, even with the key turned off and walking away from the vehicle. I don't know what part they got, but it fixed the problem. I could ask what it was ( I threw away the receipt/description).
Sorry Beth I was responding to a different problem. Didn’t turn mine off-the issue reported was one shutting off for no reason after leaving it running.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 GLS 450, 2018 GLE 4matic
Ah, well, either way, these cars sometimes have a mind of their own!
Old 07-12-2019, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Our Key Fobs now work less than 50% of the time using the touch to lock. So I went to the dealer and also added the issue that Lane Keep won’t stay turned off but reverts to on after a restart.
1. Active Lane Keep-Service Tech claims that all Mercedes with this function reset when the car is turned off. I thought that other Mercedes models did stay off until turned on again. Can anyone with an older model verify yes or no.
The Tech seemed competent but did not know that the 2020 corrects by braking. He was unaware of a Mercedes that worked that way so I might have a newbie. I can see this being a real safety issue at Freeway speed in the winter. The corrective braking to one wheel increases in intensity as speed increases.
2. The Key Fob misfired 5 times today but worked while at the Dealer. I’m now thinking that walking up the stairs jiggled it back awake. From past experience I think this will be a tough one to get resolved unless Mercedes already has a number of other complaints. I’m going to take some more videos to show the issue so that they can’t come back with a comment that they couldn’t duplicate the issue.

Last edited by Ron.s; 07-12-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Key fob not registering

Our Key Fobs now work less than 50% of the time using the touch to lock. So I went to the dealer and also added the issue that Lane Keep won’t stay turned off but reverts to on after a restart.
2. The Key Fob misfired 5 times today but worked while at the Dealer. I’m now thinking that walking up the stairs jiggled it back awake. From past experience I think this will be a tough one to get resolved unless Mercedes already has a number of other complaints. I’m going to take some more videos to show the issue so that they can’t come back with a comment that they couldn’t duplicate the issue.
While I know you are searching for answers, I have seen nothing to indicate there is any motion sensitivity built into the SmartKey. Even if the battery check light at the end of the fob flashes when you hit lock or unlock, I might start with replacing the CR2032 battery to eliminate one variable. Also, note the fob can be deactivated by pressing the lock button twice in quick succession. Pressing any button then reactivates it, so that is likely not the answer.
The following users liked this post:
DMG (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
While I know you are searching for answers, I have seen nothing to indicate there is any motion sensitivity built into the SmartKey. Even if the battery check light at the end of the fob flashes when you hit lock or unlock, I might start with replacing the CR2032 battery to eliminate one variable. Also, note the fob can be deactivated by pressing the lock button twice in quick succession. Pressing any button then reactivates it, so that is likely not the answer.
Did the battery and switched Fobs with my wife same results. And it went from occasional once or twice the first month to 5 times yesterday. Shaking the Fob works 100% of the time, I’ve done it more than 50 times....maybe 100. There may be a weak circuit or power connection or even a battery saver mode. Might find out when I take it in on the 23rd. The other thing I’ve noticed is that locking almost always works if I have been walking around. Drive somewhere, get out, won’t lock until I shake the Fob. Happens now more than half the time....yesterday every time! I thought it was crazy when another party posted that the Dealer told them to jump up and down.
Its become irritating enough that I have made videos and have an appointment with the dealer. I hate going to a dealer over a minor issue this early because they won’t have a clue. If no one reports issues then Mercedes won’t get involved with a fix.
My other reason for going is to get acquainted, because I think I’ll be back sooner than later. I continue to have minor random issues...one time each so far-hatch won’t open with the manual button had to use the Fob. Kick wouldn’t work that time either. Opened driver door after the car sat overnight and the Radio came on with the greeting. Another time I shut the car off and opened the door but MBUX screens still lit up. Random notice a window is open when they haven’t been opened or closed. I’m not complaining I knew the risk of ordering so early with a new Gen.

Last edited by Ron.s; 07-13-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:42 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
16 GL550
in my previous cars (including our current GL550), when the battery in the fob is getting low in power, shaking it helps recovers some of the charges. maybe it's worth changing the battery and see. but then again i would imagine the dash to have a warning message about low battery
Old 07-13-2019, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rominl
in my previous cars (including our current GL550), when the battery in the fob is getting low in power, shaking it helps recovers some of the charges. maybe it's worth changing the battery and see. but then again i would imagine the dash to have a warning message about low battery
Thanks, I had already changed the battery but didn’t clean the contacts so I did that this evening. The battery looks like it fits tight but if the contacts are contaminated shaking it might move it just a little. Doubt it will help because it always works in every other way.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:13 AM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
There could be a gap between the battery and contacts - I had that on my Nissan years ago, used a bit of Aluminum foil to fill.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:50 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 450 / E450 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by DMG
I have the same question. If anyone knows what this car in the circle in the HUD means please let us know!

It is truly an amazing car, I must say it appears to be driving better with time somehow: gear shifts seem to be smoother and cruise control works better, although still some crazy "short stops" still occurring, especially if someone pulls out of or into my lane in front of me. I've learned its better to just take control if anything unusual occurs.

I have a few other minor questions that I've searched the manual for without success:

1. If I leave my wife and child in the car to go run into a store, with the car running and the keys in the car, invariably the engine stops and the air-conditioner stops. I can't for the life of me figure out how to prevent this from happening. Taking auto-stop off doesn't do the trick.
2. It would be super if you could get the name of the song that is being played on Sirius XM to appear in the instrument panel, or the station name in the HUD (as opposed to "Station 50"). Anyone know how to change this?
3. I can almost never get the trunk to open by kicking my foot on either side of the tow hitch. Its worked a few times when I first got the car. Anyone else have any luck with this?
Item 1. Same issue but here is a twist, my wife has the second fob in her purse. Engine shuts down 100% of the time when I get out of the car. This leads to a "why did you shut the car off? It's hot in here" conversation.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AC shutting off

Originally Posted by DaveD9
Item 1. Same issue but here is a twist, my wife has the second fob in her purse. Engine shuts down 100% of the time when I get out of the car. This leads to a "why did you shut the car off? It's hot in here" conversation.
Note that if you press the "A/C REST" button when shutting off the car it will use "residual heat" to condition the cabin for up to 30 minutes.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
20 GLE on order, 17 GLC 300 4M, Ducati 1299R
1. Active Lane Keep-Service Tech claims that all Mercedes with this function reset when the car is turned off. I thought that other Mercedes models did stay off until turned on again. Can anyone with an older model verify yes or no.
Item 1. Not sure on the other questions, however, I have active lane keep in my current vehicle sans vibration in the steering wheel. I HATE that it uses the brakes to yank the vehicle back into the lane especially when I have Distronic features. This of course isn’t an issue when using the steering pilot with cruise. Why, why, why use the brakes when they could simply nudge the car using the steering? I keep mine turned off and it stays off thankfully.

GLE on order.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by edofloat
Item 1. Not sure on the other questions, however, I have active lane keep in my current vehicle sans vibration in the steering wheel. I HATE that it uses the brakes to yank the vehicle back into the lane especially when I have Distronic features. This of course isn’t an issue when using the steering pilot with cruise. Why, why, why use the brakes when they could simply nudge the car using the steering? I keep mine turned off and it stays off thankfully.
GLE on order.
Do you have a 2020 or prior year Mercedes? The Service Advisor told me that all Mercedes vehicles reverted to on after a shut down. I find that hard to believe.
I had another unique experience the other day. Driving in the late afternoon the power cables cast a shadow to my right. The car thought they were a solid lane marker and my steering wheel became a vibrator. I changed lanes, I didn’t want it to start the brake correction in heavy traffic.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:40 PM
DMG

2001 G500
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Note that if you press the "A/C REST" button when shutting off the car it will use "residual heat" to condition the cabin for up to 30 minutes.
Interesting, when my A/C Rest button was not on, the air does not blow cold, so I leave it on. Maybe that's what is causing it? I will have to play around with it this weekend.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:04 PM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
2009, 2012 ml, 2016 gle350d, 2020 gle450
The Tech seemed competent but did not know that the 2020 corrects by braking. He was unaware of a Mercedes that worked that way so I might have a newbie. I can see this being a real safety issue at Freeway speed in the winter. The corrective braking to one wheel increases in intensity as speed increases.
It stays off on my 2016 GLE (same w/ the 2012 GLE prev) - I was never comfortable with it in winter conditions - I'd turn it off until spring - it definitely stays (stayed) off.
Ron.s (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think my key fobs are fixed. I didn’t pay much attention one cleaning the contacts on the first one because I didn’t really think it would help. On the second Fob I noticed a very light tan discoloration so there was something there. Now both Fobs seem to be working correctly but I need a few days to make sure. I’ll probably post a thread with more detail since a couple of others had this same issue. This is apparently a new design and I had some trouble finding a video but it’s detailed in the manual.
GeNomeZ (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 10:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
20 GLE on order, 17 GLC 300 4M, Ducati 1299R
Do you have a 2020 or prior year Mercedes? The Service Advisor told me that all Mercedes vehicles reverted to on after a shut down. I find that hard to believe.
I have a 2017, it does not revert to a default. If I turn it off it stays off, if I turn it on it stays on. I keep it off and let distronic do the lane correction. I have had several software updates and there hasn’t been a change in three years.

The auto start/stop defaults to on each time, perhaps that is what the tech is thinking?
Ron.s (07-16-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 05:17 PM
DMG

2001 G500
MULTI CONTOUR SEATS-I thought the seats were firm but comfortable until I took a trip. After a few hours they become very uncomfortable. They bothered my wife’s back late in the ride but were also not good in other ways, just too firm. She can’t describe any specific issue just says they aren’t comfortable. I have adjusted the Lumbar and side bolsters. The massage function doesn’t seem to help. I tried most of the massages, trying a new one each time it shut one off. The function shuts down after a few minutes. Even with the lower seat extender out the front bothers my thighs. All the way in leaves a slight hump making it worse. Looks like a seat cushion for trips will be needed. I got some relief by lowering the seat front so that my feet on the floor keep my thighs off the seat.
I couldn't agree with your wife more on the seats, they kill my lower back after a few hours. (They don't hurt my wife's back at all, just me.) I have played endlessly with the lumbar support and I think at the end of our last trip I've finally found something that might just work for me (although I won't know until the next trip), which is almost fully extended and at the bottom of the seat. Curious if any one else is having the same issue and found a good setting that doesn't involve a pillow.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Seats comfort (or uncomfort).

Originally Posted by DMG
I couldn't agree with your wife more on the seats, they kill my lower back after a few hours. (They don't hurt my wife's back at all, just me.) I have played endlessly with the lumbar support and I think at the end of our last trip I've finally found something that might just work for me (although I won't know until the next trip), which is almost fully extended and at the bottom of the seat. Curious if any one else is having the same issue and found a good setting that doesn't involve a pillow.
As I previously reported, my wife finds the Sport seats too hard, at least the back. I don’t like them as well as the ones in our ‘12 ML either. Haven’t taken a trip yet, but will in a couple weeks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLE 450-Some Random Thoughts & More