GLE43 Coupe (C292) 2016 - Present (Includes GLE450 Coupe)
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Android Auto Tutorial

Old 02-02-2018, 07:46 AM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by cadman_ks
I finally got around to trying this again!!
I verified every setting in the order listed above. The only thing that I didn't have was that I did NOT have any cars listed in AA. I even tried to delete all of them, but it didn't make a difference.
I have a Google Pixel XL (NOT a 2), and it appears that others are having issues with connecting as well with this phone.
The other thing is that the phone says that it IS connected, and driving mode shows connected on the phone, but I can't get the car to connect...
You said you had it working with this phone before, right? Then it's not the car. Something must have changed with the phone. Let's start fresh.
  • Go to Phone Settings/System Updates/Check for new system update. Check for new Android updates for your phone.
  • Make sure no cord is plugged into your phone.
  • Go to Android Auto/Settings/Connected Cars. Check under "Accepted Cars". If you have ANY cars listed in this section, delete them.
  • On that same screen, make sure "Add new cars to Android Auto" is turned on.
  • Turn your car on and select "Android Auto" as your media source.
  • Plug your USB cord into your phone first.
  • Then, plug the other end of the cord into the bottom USB port in the center armrest.
  • It should ask if you want to auto connect to AA in the future. Select "Yes".
  • Your car should now recognize the phone and be listed under "Accepted Cars".
Old 02-03-2018, 01:53 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube
You said you had it working with this phone before, right? Then it's not the car. Something must have changed with the phone. Let's start fresh.

Yes, I have had this same phone connected to this car in the past.
  • Go to Phone Settings/System Updates/Check for new system update. Check for new Android updates for your phone.Check. Phone is up to date
  • Make sure no cord is plugged into your phone. Check
  • Go to Android Auto/Settings/Connected Cars. Check under "Accepted Cars". If you have ANY cars listed in this section, delete them. Check, none were listed
  • On that same screen, make sure "Add new cars to Android Auto" is turned on. Check
  • Turn your car on and select "Android Auto" as your media source. Check. I assume that you meant here that I should go the Phone screen, and select AA. When I actually go to the Media tab, I do not have any options listed there, except my SD Card.
  • Plug your USB cord into your phone first.Check
  • Then, plug the other end of the cord into the bottom USB port in the center armrest. Check
  • It should ask if you want to auto connect to AA in the future. Select "Yes". NO. Neither the car nor the phone ask for this
  • Your car should now recognize the phone and be listed under "Accepted Cars". It will show connected in the pull down list of connected devices, but it will not show in AA. See the screenshot from my phone.
I also attached a screenshot from the COMAND screen.

Also, notice on the USB connected part that it is connected as CHARGING only. I have tried changing this to the other options like PTP, Media transfer, etc, and when I do, it initiates the AA connection, but the port immediately falls back to charging only mode. I don't know if that has something to do with it, nor do I know how I would fix/change that to keep that from happening.

This whole thing is baffling me, and I can't figure out what the deal is. I do really appreciate your help!!!

Last edited by cadman_ks; 02-03-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:01 PM

2017 GLE43 Coupe
I knew that I had turned developer options before on the phone, but that was not on currently. I turned it back on, and the USB Debugging option was OFF, which I believe is default, so I don't think that's the issue either...
Old 02-03-2018, 03:15 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
I also attached a screenshot from the COMAND screen.

Also, notice on the USB connected part that it is connected as CHARGING only. I have tried changing this to the other options like PTP, Media transfer, etc, and when I do, it initiates the AA connection, but the port immediately falls back to charging only mode. I don't know if that has something to do with it, nor do I know how I would fix/change that to keep that from happening. This whole thing is baffling me, and I can't figure out what the deal is. I do really appreciate your help!!!
OK. Let's mirror my settings.
  • "Developer Options" are turned on.
  • "USB Debugging" is turned off.
  • USB mode is set to "Charging".
It may be your cord. Some USB cords only work for charging. Either they don't work at all for data, or they don't work consistently for data. Are you using the cord that came with your phone? If not, do you have another cord you can use?
Old 02-03-2018, 06:38 PM

2017 GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube
OK. Let's mirror my settings.
  • "Developer Options" are turned on.
  • "USB Debugging" is turned off.
  • USB mode is set to "Charging".
It may be your cord. Some USB cords only work for charging. Either they don't work at all for data, or they don't work consistently for data. Are you using the cord that came with your phone? If not, do you have another cord you can use?
The only one that I dont have mirrored is the developer option. Yes, I'm using the cord that came with the phone, and I have even tried other cords, all with the same result.

It will be a bit before I can test it again.

I'll report back after testing...
Old 02-03-2018, 06:51 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
You were right. This problem is unique to your specific phone. Try some of the solutions here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pix...-auto-t3694696

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/7f390a/pixel_2_2_xl_android_auto_issues/

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/29/android-auto-crashing-randomly-many-pixel-2-2-xl-owners/
Old 06-07-2018, 08:39 AM

2017 GLE43 Coupe
The only one that I dont have mirrored is the developer option. Yes, I'm using the cord that came with the phone, and I have even tried other cords, all with the same result.

It will be a bit before I can test it again.

I'll report back after testing...
LOL, it's been a while now since I've messed with this, just like I said.

There was a recent upgrade to Android Auto on my phone, so I thought that I would try again.

Well, as luck would have it, I'm partially the way there now. Now, it starts Android Auto just fine on my phone, and goes thru the connection process properly, and all of that seems to work. But now there is another issue. Once it's connected, there is NOTHING on the COMAND screen, it just turns black.

Ugh....
Old 06-08-2018, 07:46 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
I've used AA with no problems for several consecutive days now. Been driving to lots of new places and wanted to use Google Maps instead of the MB Nav. Here's something they don't tell you and you have to be very familiar with the Android OS to know. Not all USB cables are certified "data" cables. Some of the cheaper ones are fine for charging only. They'll work sporadically for data transfer, but then either disconnect or cause strange errors. "Anker" makes a great braided USB cable that I feel is superior to even the OEM cables that come with your phone. They also have a USB-C version, for newer phones. If you're not using the Anker, stick with the cord that came with your phone. I'm sure there are other third party manufactures that have reliable cables, but I know for a fact the Anker works perfectly.

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-08-2018, 08:00 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
USB Setting to "File Transfer"

Sorry. I should have mentioned this a while ago. Once your phone is connected to your car's USB port, pull down your phone's notification window and select "File Transfer" and then "Always". This puts your phone in the mode to transfer data as well as charge.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:09 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Android Auto Major Update to UI

Android Auto now has a completely new UI. It's much cleaner and easier to navigate, for novices who've had difficulty with the older version. Personally, I never had any issues with the previous version. However, I think the new version is a major improvement. The new version won't automatically display, even if you already have the latest version of AA. You must go into the AA settings and turn it on. Everything is explained in the videos below.