GLE43 Coupe (C292) 2016 - Present (Includes GLE450 Coupe)
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Suspension Setting for Tire Change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 09:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GLE 43 Coupe
Suspension Setting for Tire Change?

Is there a setting on the suspension I need to set to make changing a tire easier ?

I think my Audi had a special setting to keep the air suspension from moving when the car was being raised?
Old 04-21-2018, 06:59 AM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by GeoX750
Is there a setting on the suspension I need to set to make changing a tire easier ?

I think my Audi had a special setting to keep the air suspension from moving when the car was being raised?
I've manually raised the suspension to the max and shut the car off. It stays set like that even after the engine is off. However, I'm not sure if they recommend doing that when changing tires. Check the manual.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:18 AM

AMG GLE 43 Coupe
Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube
I've manually raised the suspension to the max and shut the car off. It stays set like that even after the engine is off. However, I'm not sure if they recommend doing that when changing tires. Check the manual.
The manual did not say anything. You have to raise the truck pretty high to change a tire.

I put on 22" AMG wheels but in tights turn with the wheels at near full lock, the front end binds and pops with a solid clunk.

A clearance problem, but the GLE 43 does come with optional 22" wheels? I have to check if its a clearance, but are there any issues with front axles, differential or other joints? No problem with the 21".
Old 04-23-2018, 05:53 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
I put on 22" AMG wheels but in tights turn with the wheels at near full lock, the front end binds and pops with a solid clunk. A clearance problem, but the GLE 43 does come with optional 22" wheels? I have to check if its a clearance, but are there any issues with front axles, differential or other joints? No problem with the 21".
I have the optional 22" wheels. Never heard any of the popping or clunking you're referring to. I do know that even with the suspension set to default (Comfort mode), the tires completely clear the wheel wells. This includes fully locked. With it manually raised, there's a ton of clearance. There should be no problems at all changing a tire in either setting.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:05 AM

AMG GLE 43 Coupe
Thanks for the info. I jacked my car and turned the wheels at full lock in both directions. The wheels turn without any rub, there is no clearance problem with no load on the wheels. With the car down, looks all good too.

Must be the axle shafts or diff ?
Old 04-25-2018, 07:32 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 GLE43 Coupe
Thanks for the info. I jacked my car and turned the wheels at full lock in both directions. The wheels turn without any rub, there is no clearance problem with no load on the wheels. With the car down, looks all good too.

Must be the axle shafts or diff ?
Are you sure that it's not the AWD system "catching" the front wheels, and jerking/popping them?

Ours does that when you are close to fully turned and moving.

Just another thought...
Old 04-25-2018, 07:35 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube
.... I do know that even with the suspension set to default (Comfort mode), the tires completely clear the wheel wells. This includes fully locked. With it manually raised, there's a ton of clearance. There should be no problems at all changing a tire in either setting.
Are you referencing front to back clearance, or top clearance?

I was just looking at this the other day, and while I've never tried changing a wheel, it appears that I have plenty of clearance all the way around the wheel to trim. Like I have about 2" between the top of the wheel and the top trim...
Old 04-26-2018, 06:27 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by cadman_ks
Are you referencing front to back clearance, or top clearance?
Both