GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

2017 GLE 63-Seats killing my back

Old 01-15-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 63 AMG
2017 GLE 63-Seats killing my back

Anyone out there having trouble with their drivers seat? Mine is really hurting my back. I have tried everything as I have the multi contour seats, and nothing seems to work. I have an Audi S-6 and never had a problem with the seats and they are pretty sporty.

Unfortunately as it doesn't seem I have many options, I am going to have to trade down to the GLE 43 which I plan on ordering tomorrow. Fully loaded. The 43 comes with the regular GLE seats which are fine on my back as I took a nice long test drive, and my wife has a 2013 GL 450 which seats seem to be similar and they never bother my back a bit. I guess you can order sport seats as an option with the 43, which of course I won't be doing.

To be honest I am really bummed as I love everything else about the car!!

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Sorry to hear about your back. What did you test drive for your back? A GLE350 or GLE43 Coupe? Aren't they different standard seats?

Last edited by E55 KEV; 01-16-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE63S SUV
I'm curious, my dad recently picked up a 2016 GLE63 and he's complained that the angle of the seat bottom/thigh support does not adjust high enough for him. He's getting used to it but still has difficulty getting comfortable, and was debating looking into whether the seats could be modified somehow to increase the angle. Seats in our other cars do seem to adjust higher than the GLE's. Do you think this has contributed to your back pain at all?

Last edited by jra85; 01-17-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:57 PM

GLE 63 AMG
I test drove a GLE 400, and sat in a GLE 43 coup which I will test drive before I order a GLE 43. Thanks for asking.

Over the past few days some of my back pain has gone away but I haven't been driving the GLE 63 for any great distance. I think at this point I'll continue to drive it for a few more days to see if something changed. Maybe I finally adjusted the seat just right?

I never knew you could modify the seat, and maybe my back hurts for the same reason you dad is uncomfortable with the seat. I'm not sure. For now I have the seat as low as it can go, no angel, which seems to help for now. Please keep me up on what your dad does.

Either way everything else I love about the 63!
Old 02-01-2017, 04:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jra85
I'm curious, my dad recently picked up a 2016 GLE63 and he's complained that the angle of the seat bottom/thigh support does not adjust high enough for him. He's getting used to it but still has difficulty getting comfortable, and was debating looking into whether the seats could be modified somehow to increase the angle. Seats in our other cars do seem to adjust higher than the GLE's. Do you think this has contributed to your back pain at all?
I 100% agree with your dad...the GLE/GLS 63 seats are horrible for the thighs. I don't know why but they stop way short of giving enough angle to provide enough thigh support. MBs always seem to not give enough thigh angle on the seats and you feel like you're gonna slide off the front of the seat.

I love my GLS63 but the seats are really poor. Like others, I have no problems with the lesser model of GLE or GLS, except for these AMG seats. Really sad since the rest of the car is really stellar!
Old 02-01-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE63S SUV
Originally Posted by onesixeight
MBs always seem to not give enough thigh angle on the seats and you feel like you're gonna slide off the front of the seat.
He'll be glad to hear he's not the only one with that opinion! That's exactly how he described it: feeling like he's sliding forward in the seat. They feel fine for me when I drive, though if I focus on it then I'd probably prefer a little more angle too.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:51 PM

GLE 63 AMG
I agree with you guys! I bought a lumbar cushion and I know its going to push me off the seat. Fortunately the seats have not been hurting my back over the past week, so hopefully I won't need it! Very good news for me!
Old 07-28-2018, 09:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
mercedes gle 63 amg s
Originally Posted by jra85
He'll be glad to hear he's not the only one with that opinion! That's exactly how he described it: feeling like he's sliding forward in the seat. They feel fine for me when I drive, though if I focus on it then I'd probably prefer a little more angle too.
I’m not happy with the seats, poor thigh support. I am 5’10 and seat is very uncomfortable.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:41 PM

My mom just got one. And the seats don't look comfortable, it just looks very aggressive.

I probably would be fine getting the new RAV4 and throwing my snowboard gear in it. I have no idea if throwing wet snowboard gear into a GLE AMG S coupe would be a great idea or if my mom will get mad at me for it.