MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle63s-gle63-gle53-amg-suv-coupe-w166-w167-213/)
-   -   Auto Stop/Start not working (https://mbworld.org/forums/gle63s-gle63-gle53-amg-suv-coupe-w166-w167/653123-auto-stop-start-not-working.html)

neodoc 02-14-2017 12:41 PM

Auto Stop/Start not working

Hello, everyone:

It's been a while since I posted to this forum. Life gets complicated. I've noticed that the auto stop/start feature on my 2016 GLE63s has stopped functioning. It used to begin working once I was about 6 miles into a drive, but now, I can go for over 15-20 miles of mixed driving without it ever functioning. The dealer replaced the battery last week when the truck when in for an "A" service at 4600 miles. The problem persists. Any thought's?

BaxBaxter 02-23-2017 10:00 PM

Hi Joe,

I'm not sure if this is stating the obvious, but auto stop/start only works on the AMG models in Comfort or Slippery driving modes. If you're in Sport or Sport+ it won't work. It took me a while to figure this out for myself when driving, and then I confirmed that this was the documented behavior in the manual.

Cheers,
Bax

neodoc 02-28-2017 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by BaxBaxter (Post 7065535)
Hi Joe,

I'm not sure if this is stating the obvious, but auto stop/start only works on the AMG models in Comfort or Slippery driving modes. If you're in Sport or Sport+ it won't work. It took me a while to figure this out for myself when driving, and then I confirmed that this was the documented behavior in the manual.

Cheers,
Bax

Thanks, Bax. You're not stating the obvious. I appreciate your reply. I know that the system only works in Comfort mode, which is where I mostly leave it. It's funny, though. The auto stop/start seems to have a mind of its own. Under identical conditions, it will sometimes work and other times it just leaves the engine running. Perhaps it has something to do with how often I drive the GLE. Since it's my "other" car, it doesn't get driven every day.

jra85 03-02-2017 10:15 AM

The behavior you're observing seems to mimic what I've observed as well over 3 months of ownership. Usually drive in Comfort mode (and only in Comfort for the first 1k miles), but even then, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. From searching on the topic in the past, it's my understanding that there's a variety of other criteria that must be met for it to work (battery voltage must be high enough, engine must be warm enough, A/C must be off). But even with these met it still seems sporadic. Not a big deal for me since I typically disable it when I first get in the car anyway, but definitely operates strangely when it's enabled.

04-E55GMAN 03-17-2017 03:48 PM

Not sure if you know this or has been mentioned that you have to have the seat belts on also.

E55 KEV 03-08-2019 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by 04-E55GMAN (Post 7087399)
Not sure if you know this or has been mentioned that you have to have the seat belts on also.

WTF! I just noticed my Auto Stop Start has not kicked in at all in months. Now I also don't recall the auto tightening seat belts working either. I didn't know the seats belts could be user on/off activated.

Nanook 03-09-2019 02:45 PM

Auto belts in steering wheel options menu

E55 KEV 03-10-2019 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 7701266)
Auto belts in steering wheel options menu

Seat Belts are on. I've never disabled them. I'm so used to the belts tightening I don't notice them anymore. So auto stop start not working for some other reason. It's cold here with the interior heat always on so perhaps the engine doesn't shut off because of cold temps.