GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

2017 GLE63s - tires too soft?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLE63s - tires too soft?

Hello everyone,

I purchased the 2017 GLE63s for my wife back last November. At 7,500, the car was dangerous to drive while raining, hydroplaning on the highway past 45-50 MPH. So I purchased new tires and asked the dealer to re-align the car thinking it could be the issue. Now at 13,000 miles, the tires are no good for rain again - same problem. Besides this issue, the rear of the car "hops" sideways when going over broken pavement (even on brand new tires) and we feel a distinct side to side movement in the cabin during normal driving.

I checked with TireRack and there's only one other option besides the factory mounted Continental Contisportcontact 5P, which is the Pirelli PZero that many hate. My rep there said:

"Your best bet would be to move away from the 22" AMG wheels, down size the wheels and tires and go with the same size all the way around. That would improve the ride, tread life and lower the road noise. It would also give you tires that would allow you to drive year round. You can go with either 20" or 21"

What do you guys think? I don't mind changing tires every 15K miles but 7-8K is ridiculous. She takes my Ford F-150 when it rains now. LOL (at least she leaves the C63 alone)

Thanks everyone.
The following users liked this post:
Anna Vetrickova (08-10-2019)
Old 07-28-2017, 07:41 AM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
GTC Roadster
I think the dealer is giving you fairly accurate info as I have found the conti's to be junk also. I got about 9k out of mine and replaced with the same hoping some day to have better options. I really like the 22's and the staggered set so I don't want to go to smaller diameter, however I did see somewhere in this thread a vendor was offering 23's with a different tire. I think I would go that route before going smaller.

Originally Posted by lserva
Hello everyone,

I purchased the 2017 GLE63s for my wife back last November. At 7,500, the car was dangerous to drive while raining, hydroplaning on the highway past 45-50 MPH. So I purchased new tires and asked the dealer to re-align the car thinking it could be the issue. Now at 13,000 miles, the tires are no good for rain again - same problem. Besides this issue, the rear of the car "hops" sideways when going over broken pavement (even on brand new tires) and we feel a distinct side to side movement in the cabin during normal driving.

I checked with TireRack and there's only one other option besides the factory mounted Continental Contisportcontact 5P, which is the Pirelli PZero that many hate. My rep there said:

"Your best bet would be to move away from the 22" AMG wheels, down size the wheels and tires and go with the same size all the way around. That would improve the ride, tread life and lower the road noise. It would also give you tires that would allow you to drive year round. You can go with either 20" or 21"

What do you guys think? I don't mind changing tires every 15K miles but 7-8K is ridiculous. She takes my Ford F-150 when it rains now. LOL (at least she leaves the C63 alone)

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by tblountman
I think the dealer is giving you fairly accurate info as I have found the conti's to be junk also. I got about 9k out of mine and replaced with the same hoping some day to have better options. I really like the 22's and the staggered set so I don't want to go to smaller diameter, however I did see somewhere in this thread a vendor was offering 23's with a different tire. I think I would go that route before going smaller.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. A smaller sidewall (hopefully a little stiffer) might help with the side to side movement I feel. Do you know which tire they were referring to for the 23s?
Old 07-28-2017, 11:01 PM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
GTC Roadster
I looked again and unfortunately it is another conti...the sport 6..don't know if it is any improvement or not.

Originally Posted by lserva
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. A smaller sidewall (hopefully a little stiffer) might help with the side to side movement I feel. Do you know which tire they were referring to for the 23s?
Old 10-18-2017, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cl300
AnotherGermanScandal.com

If you are getting 10,000 miles you are lucky. My tires needed to be replaced at 3,800 miles! I called Mercedes and asked if the tires were defective. They said no. I asked why they wouldn't share that with me when I bought the car and they told me it wouldn't be a good sales pitch! Pathetic. Went to Discount Tire and asked about their experience. They said that 4,000 miles is about average for GLE63 and all C63 cars they see. My 5th Mercedes and its PATHETIC!!!
Old 10-19-2017, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
All Performance are made of a soft compound and they freeze below 40 degrees F.

Anyone tried the All Season Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06? It has a tread wear rating double any of Conti's summer tires. It's 560 and the summer tires are only 280. If I want to drive my GLE63s this winter I need new tires. I only have 3k miles on the summer tires and not looking forward to removing them and throwing them away or storing them indefinitely.

I'm leaning toward a dedicated winter tire and Tire Rack has a new Yokohama BlueEarth Winter V905.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 10-19-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:27 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
GLS63 / GONE: '16 GL63 '15 S63 '14 E63 '13 ML550 '10 E63 '09 C63 '07 E63 '00 E55 '99 C43 '84 190E16V
I'm confused a little bit by this thread. I've had a number of AMGs over the years, and at some point, you have to understand what you are buying. My '09 C63 ran through the OEM PZero's at 3900 miles. Summer performance tires are very soft and wear very quickly. Always have, always will. My current E63s had PZero's on them when I got it and I burned through them quickly (5k) and put on Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. Better ride, better all weather, longer lasting, and 95% of the performance. My GL63 came with the Conti 5P and I took them off prior to delivery and put on Conti DWS06. Again, better ride, better all weather, longer lasting, and to me, no hit on performance. 22" and 23" tires with less sidewall will only make all of your issue worse.

AMGs are expensive to purchase and expensive to maintain. This is true of any high-end performance car. My wife's mainline Benz's basically get oil changes and that's it!
Old 11-04-2017, 02:26 PM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
Originally Posted by cmginc
I'm confused a little bit by this thread. I've had a number of AMGs over the years, and at some point, you have to understand what you are buying. My '09 C63 ran through the OEM PZero's at 3900 miles. Summer performance tires are very soft and wear very quickly. Always have, always will. My current E63s had PZero's on them when I got it and I burned through them quickly (5k) and put on Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. Better ride, better all weather, longer lasting, and 95% of the performance. My GL63 came with the Conti 5P and I took them off prior to delivery and put on Conti DWS06. Again, better ride, better all weather, longer lasting, and to me, no hit on performance. 22" and 23" tires with less sidewall will only make all of your issue worse.

AMGs are expensive to purchase and expensive to maintain. This is true of any high-end performance car. My wife's mainline Benz's basically get oil changes and that's it!
Good point about the tread compound. Acura NSX's came with Yokohama sticky rubber tires. Usually toast @ 3,500 miles. Owners complained and were told if they wanted to do hard cornering this was the tire they needed. Or they could go to a harder compound and losing handling ability. I guess you can't have both....
Old 08-10-2019, 06:18 PM

MB AMG43, camaro rs
GLE AMG 43 aquaplaning problem

Hi, we have the same issues with our GLE AMG 43
absolutely terrifying experience to drive this car in rain on its pirelli Tyres (conti was even worse)

does MB - Daimler waiting us to die?????

our dealer having no clue what’s the issue, saying nobody else having this problem and we don’t talk about high speeds now, even 30km/h in water conditions is a big issue to control the stability of the car

who is buying MB to keep it in garage???

ridiculous, my camaro rs is much safer in all speeds

any advice what to do?????
Old 08-10-2019, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
FYI - Mercedes doesn't make tires.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:15 AM

MY19 GLE63C4S
Originally Posted by cmginc

Totally agree with “cmginc”
I drove my 2019 GLE63C4S away from the dealership on 3 JAN knowing I would be spending money regularly on tires and brakes.
We get snow/ice here - Indianspolis - so I purchased a set of AMG 21” wheels running
Pirelli Scorpion Winter F: 275x45 R:315x40
I expect to get one season out of the Conti R22s and two seasons out of the Scorpions. Anything beyond that is absolute bonus.
A concerned friend asked recently if I knew how much the oil changes cost. My reply, “If you’re worried about a $200 oil change, you shouldn’t be driving this car.”
The following users liked this post:
Twilighthan (11-17-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 06:30 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
c292 gle63S, Range Rover LWB
I have 21's and 22's. The 21's have been good so far but I like the look of the 22's. I'm going to order 285/40/22 all around because the GLE43 guys have done this without any issues. Going to go with the Toyo PROXES STIII

Old 03-29-2022, 04:16 PM

AMG GLE 43
Originally Posted by Anna Vetrickova
Hi, we have the same issues with our GLE AMG 43
absolutely terrifying experience to drive this car in rain on its pirelli Tyres (conti was even worse)

does MB - Daimler waiting us to die?????

our dealer having no clue what’s the issue, saying nobody else having this problem and we don’t talk about high speeds now, even 30km/h in water conditions is a big issue to control the stability of the car

who is buying MB to keep it in garage???

ridiculous, my camaro rs is much safer in all speeds

any advice what to do?????
Hi, sorry to hear you went through this. I also went through this and I agree it was terrifying. It was pouring rain and even going 30mph I was having trouble controlling my AMG GLE 43 with Pirellis on the highway during a pouring rainstorm. It was shaking from side to side so bad it felt like it literally might flip over. I was also worried about being struck from behind going so slow as other cars were passing me at normal highway speeds with no problem. The dealer basically is saying that car is not made to drive in the rain on the highway. It is a true performance car for only performance conditions. Who knew….