GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

X6M to GLE63 Coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 11:51 PM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
Oh and btw, reading the older posts in this thread, my anecdotal observation is that the BMW enthusiast community is a lot more populated at least when you compare this sub forum (GLE AMG) with pretty much anything on bimmerpost. I had lurked on bimmerpost for a couple of years when we were considering an X5 5.0 then an X5M and posted a couple of questions and people were ready to jump in and help out. Audizine is very lively as well other than the R8 section.

Not dissig the mercedes communty at all but this forum is way too quiet. I’m sure it has to do with the prefacelift cars having their own sub forum.

i joined the Mercedes club and met some great helpful folks in my area so help us out there but the forum could be a little busier.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 X6 M
Originally Posted by Dunga

test drovean X5M right before test driving our GLE63. The X5 felt fast but really uncomfortable especially in the back seat. The AMG is super cushy in comfortable mode despite 21” wheels. In Sports + the things is a wild beast. The trim and leather is nice in both since either car is the top of the line for the particular mode so you get Napa leather everywhere and alcantara. I think the iDrive is better but the Benz infotainment is not too terrible since the facelift and the apple CarPlay support. Finally the exhaust on the AMG is on a league of its own. I have an Audi and a corvette and both have sports exhaust and neither come close to the visceral feel of the AMG one. Make sure to turn the knob to sport plus on your test drive to experience the pops and crackles.

Finally, looking at lightly used examples, there more Mercedes options for us and those were all CPO’d. My BMW dealer said they don’t certify M cars due to cost unless customers ask for them. Also as a disclaimer the BMW we drove wasn’t all well taken care of for a 2016 car.

Good luck and post your thoughts.
I see you're in snow country. Do you have a dedicated set of winter wheels? I haven't really looked at the wheel/tire size but I'm assuming they are staggered. Not a fan of staggered with snow tires. Do they have OEM square set ups? I had asked the salesman when I looked at the GLE Coupe last year and he looked at me like I had two heads and asked why I wanted snow tires. Some of these salesguys are clueless.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:48 AM

2016 X6 M

The AMG is super cushy in comfortable mode despite 21” wheels. In Sports + the things is a wild beast.
Good luck and post your thoughts.
What is this comfort mode you speak of? LOL! The first thing I do when I start her up is press the M1 button so everything is in Sport +.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:38 AM

So the GLE63 coupe comes with staggered tires. My SUV comes with 21” wheels on 295 rubber all around. Since we just got the car in May we are yet to buy a set of winter wheels/tires but it’s the plan for early next month. I will be going to 20” wheel on a narrower tire.

Now for the coupe, this one comes with staggered tire set up. With either 275s up front and 315s in the back on 21” wheels, or 285s front 325s back on 22” wheels. At least I think those are the sizes. I believe BMWs X5/6 M cars come in a similar set up but you know better than me. Either way the staggered setup would not work for me for the winter. I would downsize to a smaller even tire/wheel set up all around.

I know now that look from salespeople and regular joes too. “You’re gonna drive that in the winter?”. My answer is usually “yes sir; it’s a car not my sister and I like to get to places when it’s snowy”. We have a dedicated whee/tire set for all our cars even the Vette. People look at me driving that car on a nice January day like I shot their dog! It’s not for blizzards but we get many many days when it’s dry and clear outside and -10 degrees. Why the heck should I not drive the car? It’s not like it’s apprciating in value left in the garage :-)

post your impressions ions when you go for that drive.

Oh and I needed the comfortable ride given my 1 month old at the time came with for the test drive. He’s now 4 months old and likes the car great. I think the exhaust note helps him sleep :-D.
The following users liked this post:
cmyx6mgo (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 09:45 AM

2016 X6 M
So the GLE63 coupe comes with staggered tires. My SUV comes with 21” wheels on 295 rubber all around. Since we just got the car in May we are yet to buy a set of winter wheels/tires but it’s the plan for early next month. I will be going to 20” wheel on a narrower tire.

Now for the coupe, this one comes with staggered tire set up. With either 275s up front and 315s in the back on 21” wheels, or 285s front 325s back on 22” wheels. At least I think those are the sizes. I believe BMWs X5/6 M cars come in a similar set up but you know better than me. Either way the staggered setup would not work for me for the winter. I would downsize to a smaller even tire/wheel set up all around.

I know now that look from salespeople and regular joes too. “You’re gonna drive that in the winter?”. My answer is usually “yes sir; it’s a car not my sister and I like to get to places when it’s snowy”. We have a dedicated whee/tire set for all our cars even the Vette. People look at me driving that car on a nice January day like I shot their dog! It’s not for blizzards but we get many many days when it’s dry and clear outside and -10 degrees. Why the heck should I not drive the car? It’s not like it’s apprciating in value left in the garage :-)

post your impressions ions when you go for that drive.

Oh and I needed the comfortable ride given my 1 month old at the time came with for the test drive. He’s now 4 months old and likes the car great. I think the exhaust note helps him sleep :-D.
Thanks for the info. Don't wait too long to get snow tires. A few years ago, I was biting nails waiting for them to be available. They were out of stock and literally came in 3 days before a snow storm. It was dicey even when dry. Those summer compounds don't like the cold weather.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by cmyx6mgo
Thanks for the info. Don't wait too long to get snow tires. A few years ago, I was biting nails waiting for them to be available. They were out of stock and literally came in 3 days before a snow storm. It was dicey even when dry. Those summer compounds don't like the cold weather.
you know you’re very right. It turns into a sh*t show the closer we are to winter. I’ll go Monday to the tire shop and order a set. Problem is I can decide on the winter wheel I’m gonna use.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by cmyx6mgo
how was the test drive??
Old 03-22-2020, 02:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 GLE 63 S Coupe
2014 X6M owner

I know this thread is dead, but I second the GLC 63s advice. I love the first gen X6 and the looks. But I hate the 2nd gen with it’s stupid Impala crease. I’m glad to hear you preferred your 2013. The 3rd gen is now out and they’ve strayed even farther from what made the x6 great to begin with. As for Mercedes, their 1st gen coupe is a pretty close copy to the 1st gen x6. Which is why I love it! It doesn’t have the steroidal wheel bulges, but it’s very similar looking, very clean and rounded, but with much better wheel size for the overall look.

So I’m at a tough spot, because I love my X6M so much, but it has 120,000 miles on it. No problems, engine still holding oil, handles corners flat and steering sublime. 6 speed in sport and M mode is always in the right gear. I never use the paddles to shift. But . . . 120,000. At some point I’m going to have issues, and I can’t support the direction the new X6s have been going.

Enter the 2019 GLE 63s. Test drove one a couple weeks ago. Disappointing. I really really wanted to love it, because they have pretty much stayed true to the formula, as far as style. Love the 5.5 engine. Sound. Styling. But the handling was . . . mushy. In sport+ it was never in the right gear. To access the power you still have to shift down. Unacceptable. Lane changes, floppy. Steering feel, loose. Maybe it’s the tire size. 31” vs 29”? I certainly like the looks of the larger tires. But it wasn’t nearly as planted as my car. I drove home from the dealship and was in a bit of a hurry, so I’m going 90-100. I pull up behind another older X6 (non M) and I think, damn that thing looks fine. He followed me for a while but it was so much fun weaving in and out of traffic, passing people on the right because they don’t know how to drive. It’s just so quick, you can pass on the right, and before they realize it and try to close the gap to the car in front of them, you are already there. You just point the wheel and it goes wherever you want like a laser. Sticky. I know a lot of that has to do with great tires, but most of it is the vehicle.

And I’m not even going to comment on how it handles in the rain, other than to say, that is my favorite condition to drive it in. OMG, it’s also a beast in the snow, so I might have to take that back. I freaking love my car. I’ve never kept one this long.

I guess what I get out of this thread, is I’m really glad I didn’t buy any of the newer X6s. I may have to settle for the inferior handling of the GLE 63s if I want something that looks similar to the gen 1 X6. Not to mention, no heads up display? Wtf? Ugh Maybe I need to test drive the X6M competition. It’s getting some pretty good reviews rn, and got rid of that stupid Impala crease. I just can’t get over its fat ***. (The taillights are the **** though.)

I guess I could wait for the 2021 GLE coupe, but honestly I prefer to purchase the last year of a particular chassis, as they’ve mostly worked the kinks out. The new GLE is a complicated beast and there’s a lot that could go wrong. GLC is too small for me. Would love to know if you pulled the trigger on something. We’re now in the midst of the Corona virus, so maybe people will stop buying cars and I can get a 63s on the cheap and keep my 14 X6M.

Disclaimer: I really need to spend more time with the 63s. Despite the spirited test drive I had (that probably made the salesman’s butt pucker several times), I wonder how much better the X6M actually is, vs how familiar I am with driving it.
cmyx6mgo (03-23-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 11:17 AM

2016 X6 M
Originally Posted by Jay Snow
I know this thread is dead, but I second the GLC 63s advice. I love the first gen X6 and the looks. But I hate the 2nd gen with it’s stupid Impala crease. I’m glad to hear you preferred your 2013. The 3rd gen is now out and they’ve strayed even farther from what made the x6 great to begin with. As for Mercedes, their 1st gen coupe is a pretty close copy to the 1st gen x6. Which is why I love it! It doesn’t have the steroidal wheel bulges, but it’s very similar looking, very clean and rounded, but with much better wheel size for the overall look.

So I’m at a tough spot, because I love my X6M so much, but it has 120,000 miles on it. No problems, engine still holding oil, handles corners flat and steering sublime. 6 speed in sport and M mode is always in the right gear. I never use the paddles to shift. But . . . 120,000. At some point I’m going to have issues, and I can’t support the direction the new X6s have been going.

Enter the 2019 GLE 63s. Test drove one a couple weeks ago. Disappointing. I really really wanted to love it, because they have pretty much stayed true to the formula, as far as style. Love the 5.5 engine. Sound. Styling. But the handling was . . . mushy. In sport+ it was never in the right gear. To access the power you still have to shift down. Unacceptable. Lane changes, floppy. Steering feel, loose. Maybe it’s the tire size. 31” vs 29”? I certainly like the looks of the larger tires. But it wasn’t nearly as planted as my car. I drove home from the dealship and was in a bit of a hurry, so I’m going 90-100. I pull up behind another older X6 (non M) and I think, damn that thing looks fine. He followed me for a while but it was so much fun weaving in and out of traffic, passing people on the right because they don’t know how to drive. It’s just so quick, you can pass on the right, and before they realize it and try to close the gap to the car in front of them, you are already there. You just point the wheel and it goes wherever you want like a laser. Sticky. I know a lot of that has to do with great tires, but most of it is the vehicle.

And I’m not even going to comment on how it handles in the rain, other than to say, that is my favorite condition to drive it in. OMG, it’s also a beast in the snow, so I might have to take that back. I freaking love my car. I’ve never kept one this long.

I guess what I get out of this thread, is I’m really glad I didn’t buy any of the newer X6s. I may have to settle for the inferior handling of the GLE 63s if I want something that looks similar to the gen 1 X6. Not to mention, no heads up display? Wtf? Ugh Maybe I need to test drive the X6M competition. It’s getting some pretty good reviews rn, and got rid of that stupid Impala crease. I just can’t get over its fat ***. (The taillights are the **** though.)

I guess I could wait for the 2021 GLE coupe, but honestly I prefer to purchase the last year of a particular chassis, as they’ve mostly worked the kinks out. The new GLE is a complicated beast and there’s a lot that could go wrong. GLC is too small for me. Would love to know if you pulled the trigger on something. We’re now in the midst of the Corona virus, so maybe people will stop buying cars and I can get a 63s on the cheap and keep my 14 X6M.

Disclaimer: I really need to spend more time with the 63s. Despite the spirited test drive I had (that probably made the salesman’s butt pucker several times), I wonder how much better the X6M actually is, vs how familiar I am with driving it.
Thanks for the bump on this. I never did test drive the GLE Coupe, I got into a ‘19 X6M. I am back to the same dilemma in 18 months. It will come down to looks vs drive. I saw the 2020 X6 at the dealer and it is fugly. The *** reminds me of an Aztek. That being said the ride and handling will win over looks. As much as the MB still turns my head, if it’s cushy, soft and loose it’s a deal breaker. I could always go to X5M or look at the Porsche.

I’m guessing no one will be doing test drives anytime soon but I will report back. You do the same. Be safe everyone.
Jay Snow (03-22-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 10:43 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
c292 gle63S, Range Rover LWB
I had a 2015 X5M but BMW bought mine back. I put 20K miles on it while I had it. Went to an 16' E63S and picked up a CPO 16' GL363S coupe last year. Its my favorite car I have ever owned. The BMW handles better, but this thing still handles really good. I ordered a lowering module and it helped out the handling over stock so much. Feels super planted, looks great and it has been great and I drive my cars hard.

MB has better build quality compared to BMW. The GLE is lacking modern things that I do miss from BMW - namely the HUD and being able to scroll through music while not having to take your eyes off the road.
Old 12-27-2020, 02:29 PM

2018 AMG GLE 63 S Coupe
Sorry to revive this thread again but I made the jump from the X6M to the GLE63S Coupe. I agree with all the previous comments on the X6M's. I've had a 2011, 2012 and a 2016 X6M. The 11 and 12 were definitely drivers cars, pure and raw. My 16 was still a drivers car but you could tell it had been distilled from the original recipe when directly compared. Like you guys/gals, the GLE Coupe has always caught my attention as it looks similar to the X6M. A few months ago i finally made the jump to a CPO 18 GLE 63 S Coupe. It definitely drives different than the X6M but different doesn't mean better or worse. I feel like the BMW is simply sportier. Even when the GLE is in Sport+ it is sporty but just not as raw as the BMW. Except for the AMG Performance exhaust in Sport + which is absolutely AWESOME! I love the sportiness of my X6M's but I can honestly say the GLE is a breath of fresh air. Overall it is an amazing machine. This is my first MB and i am very impressed. It's nice to have a bit more luxury and refinement. I will continue to monitor new models of both the GLE63S Coupe and X6M over the next couple years before making the next purchase.

Thank you for all the input from everyone!

Happy Driving!
Jay Snow (12-27-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 05:14 AM

Wow I totally forgot about this! We almost made it through friggin 2020 y’all! Happy holidays and Christmas and New Years!
Old 12-28-2020, 02:16 PM

2018 AMG GLE 63 S Coupe
Wow I totally forgot about this! We almost made it through friggin 2020 y’all! Happy holidays and Christmas and New Years!
Here's to 2021! Happy Holidays!
Old 12-30-2020, 02:45 PM

2019 GLE 63 S Coupe
Well since you mentioned it I guess I’ll update my experience. I moved from the ‘14 X6M to a ‘19 GLE 63 S Coupe. When I first got it I didn’t know if it was just that I was unfamiliar with the Merc and wasn’t getting the most out of it. I can tell say without a doubt, that’s not it. The GLE is loud belching beast, whereas the X6M was nimble and quick.

The transmission is woefully slow and the turbos even slower. Even in Sport Plus mode it takes too long to get my power. If I want to accelerate through a turn, even if I’m in the right gear, the turbos are sloooow. I’m sure the 21 GLEs will not suffer from this as the turbos are in the new 4.0 with the hot V, plus it has the torque from the electric motor.

I did test drive the new X6M and have to say, it handles close to the same as my old X6 but with substantially more power. I’ll probably end up making the move back to BMW unless the new GLE pulls a Rabbit.

Things I hate about the GLE: can’t pause Satellite radio, no hard drive. No heads up display. ($120,000 car ... Shame) turbo lag, transmission

Things I love. Styling, looks similar to the gen1 X6, larger wheels, more wow factor (not huge for me, but maybe for some), exhaust (loud comfort or obnoxious sport+)

jm2c