GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

Remote Radar Detector Installation Instructions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 63 AMG S Coupe
Remote Radar Detector Installation Instructions

We recently bought a AMG GLE 63 S and I'd like to install a radar detector with remote sensors. I have no idea of how to remove the panels necessary for me to run hidden wiring, how to run wires to front & rear sensors, etc.

I'm not finding much specific to my questions.

Has anyone done such an installation and written down instructions and/or taken pictures of the various steps?

If anyone can help out I'll appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2017, 06:36 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
09 C63 AMG
As far as radar detector systems go, I've had really good luck with a Velentine 1 Hardwired in front of the rear view mirror with a concealed display mounted somewhere low and a Laser interceptor quad diode system. I mount two jammers in the front and two in the rear. That, in combination with Waze and good situational awareness is the best protection in my opinion.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 63 AMG S Coupe
More Details Please on Radar Detector Installation

Thanks for the information Mbm6f. If you don't mind I have a few more questions since you seem to be happy with this setup. I'll really appreciate your answers as I have to get something set up on this car. I love the AMG performance but the d___ thing only seems to want around 80 - 90 - or faster!
  • So, you mounted your V1 control unit up by the rear view mirror?
  • Where did you connect to power? How did you do run your wiring; i.e., where and how did you take the necessary panels off?
  • I guess I can run the control unit behind the driver side dash area - if you can tell me how the MB panels there usually come off?
  • Where did you get your Laser Interceptor quad diode system?
  • Where did you get your jammers?
  • Where and how did you run your wiring for the rear jammers?
  • Where and how did you run your wiring for the front jammers ... particularly, how did you get the wiring through the firewall?
  • I hate to be ignorant but what is Waze and how does it interact with your system?
I know I'm asking a lot but your help is greatly appreciated.

By the way, I'm thinking about doing a little performance work on our SL 550 and I wonder how you like your My Genius tune and where you had it done?

Did you notice much seat of the pants difference from you BenzWorks long tube headers and the x-pipe? Did you get these from BenzWorks or from someone else?

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2017, 03:41 PM

09 C63 AMG
The LI System is a jammer - works like a charm, if I recall correctly they have an ebay store and the company offers excellent CS. I had everything professionally installed so I can't speak to how the wires were run, but a high end shop should be able to take care of it. Waze is an iPhone GPS app that is interactive - you can post updates and see updates from others. It's great on long highway trips because it gives weather, traffic, road condition, and police updates and where they are located.

When I had this setup in my S4, there was a flip up ashtray cover that was in front of the shifter. I removed the ashtray and put the concealed display there, and mounted an emergency kill switch for the whole system beneath the steering column (Virginia...). That was a convenient location to mute the V1, and the arrows and threat info were easily visible. I could flip down the ashtray cover to hide the concealed display if I ever got pulled over.

As far as tuners go, MB tunes are a pain in the *** compared to say COBB for BMW, the COBB Access Port is a masterpiece in my opinion. Definitely noticed a difference, better shifts and blips too. Can't remember where I got the headers and x-pipe, but they definitely make an appreciable difference in my opinion. That said, it was loud... maybe too loud.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:49 PM

09 C63 AMG
Sorry for double post - phone is glitching.

I always tint the top strip of my windshield, and once it's cured I mount the radar detector so the sensor is just below where the tint begins. certain tints and windshield treatments can interfere with detection. You should be able to pull power from something near the rear view mirror, or they can hide the wiring along the perimeter of the windshield and down the A-Pillars.

As far as the LI system is concerned, it's important that the diodes are mounted perpendicular with the ground and facing directly outwards, leveled. I had the control unit for that mounted in the footwell on the passenger side, completely out of view. The diodes were near my rear license plate, and in the openings of my front bumper.

Keep in mind nothing is fool proof, but in my opinion based on experience with different combinations, this is the best set up.

I need to add - don't drive like an ******* with it (not accusing you). For me it was great for cruising on the highway because I routinely had 8 hour drives for work.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:54 PM

09 C63 AMG
Last post - if you check my Instagram you can see where I had the concealed display mounted in my ML, which I didn't like as much as the center, and you can see the front diode location on my BMW - but they're tough to make out. If you look hard enough, you may even be able to make out where the suction cups are at the top of the windshield.