Notices

Considering a GLE63s Coupe

Old 06-15-2019, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE63s Coupe
Considering a GLE63s Coupe

Hello, Iím considering purchasing a used 2016 GLE63s Coupe with low miles as my daily driver. I currently have a Range Rover Sport. I like SUVís because I want to sit up higher due to the traffic Iím constantly sitting in and Iím 6í2Ē. I donít often go over 100, but I donít like anyone to get to 60mph faster than me. I also prefer the sound of a V8 to V6. This Coupe seems to check a lot of boxes for me but I have a few questions for those that already own one.

How reliable has yours been?
How has your service experience been at the MB dealership?
How does it do in the snow?
Are all GLE63ís Coupe an AWD?
How bad are the blind spots due to the Coupe nature of the back of the car?

Is there anything else you wish you would have known about the car prior to purchasing it?

Thank you very much in advance to anyone willing to help me with these questions!
Old 06-15-2019, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts
4 MBs
Originally Posted by jeremyalyea View Post
Hello, I’m considering purchasing a used 2016 GLE63s Coupe with low miles as my daily driver. I currently have a Range Rover Sport. I like SUV’s because I want to sit up higher due to the traffic I’m constantly sitting in and I’m 6’2”. I don’t often go over 100, but I don’t like anyone to get to 60mph faster than me. I also prefer the sound of a V8 to V6. This Coupe seems to check a lot of boxes for me but I have a few questions for those that already own one.

How reliable has yours been? Get CPOed if possible.
How has your service experience been at the MB dealership? No issues.
How does it do in the snow? Great when equipped with proper tires.
Are all GLE63’s Coupe an AWD? Of course.
How bad are the blind spots due to the Coupe nature of the back of the car? Must drive to determine for yourself. To me it was a huge issue so I passed coupe for SUV, others have no problems. To me it was a deal killer.

Is there anything else you wish you would have known about the car prior to purchasing it? Drive one - rear visibility is an issue IMHO, also (IMHO) would not buy non-CPO used AMG (one has no clue how it was "used").

Thank you very much in advance to anyone willing to help me with these questions!
See above.

Last edited by threeMBs; 06-15-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:03 AM

GLE63s Coupe
Originally Posted by threeMBs View Post
See above.
Thanks for your response. Regarding tires, after reading quite a bit in this forum it looks like there are no snow tires or all-season tires available in the same size that comes stock on this car. Has this been addressed yet?
It also sounds like people are needing to replace brakes and tires every 5-10k miles on this car because of its weight. Iím planning to drive this thing about 30,000 miles per year. 4 months of the time could be in snow. My Range Rover Sport is similar in weight(5500 lbs) and I usually get 15k miles on brake pads, 25k miles on rotors and tires. Any idea why there would be such an enormous difference between the cars? Most of my driving is highway miles.

Thanks again for any feedback! I love the look of the GLE63s Coupe.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:01 AM

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2016 GLE63s Coupe
I just bought mine at 10k miles, then promptly drove from Florida to Boston It's a '16 gle63s coupe. I traded in a '12 ML63. The build quality of the '16 is much better, seems a lot tighter and rides better. Not had any issues, ive only put 4k miles on it so far... the 360 camera's are helpful with blind spots although im old school and use the mirrors when backing up anyway ....

Turned off a few of the electronics...

Active Steering assist... i could feel it fighting me on the highway, kept making the car sway from side to side... actually had it four wheel aligned cause i thought something was wrong then i turned it off an wallah lol

Active lane assist .... i kept it on as long as i could cause i thought it was a good feature... but... tractor trailer came into my lane and i swerved to the left just over the line and the gle swerved me back, scared the crap out of me and my wife.. turned it off..

Distronic cruise. love it.

Power... love that too

I like how it downshifts as you slow down, almost makes it feel a standard transmission... which i love... and not too harsh, they seem to have that dialed in very well

going down hills... tranny is dialed in well there too.... if you tap the brakes it will keep you going slow..... if ya don't and let off the gas it will go into "sail" mode and revs drop to idle and you coast... you get an actual blue sail logo on the dash when it does that...

have not looked for all season tires, ill be headed back to Florida before the snow flies.... but the Pirreli's suck... too soft, wear out fast and they are blocky when cold... eventually they smooth out but never completely, will go to Continental again when they wear out...

brakes work good, have not looked at the pads, but guess ill go take a peek now...

Last edited by mrmotoguzzi00; 07-03-2019 at 09:04 AM. Reason: typo of course...
Old 07-03-2019, 10:46 AM

GLE 63S
40k and driven hard

MB only offer one 21Ē OEM wheel type that fits the 63S coupe. I use those for long trips and cold season. Otherwise the 22ís last only 7k the way I drive it.

I change the back pads every 15k. Front pads first change was at 30k. I donít brake much before but now I do. Probably need to change the fronts every 20k moving forward the way Iíve been leveraging the brakes hard these days.

Rotors are only half way used based on MB specs. Both front and back. Just measured them last month.

Driven hard, the oil needs a litre every 1-2k miles. Driven normally maybe 1 every 5-6k.

Fun car. Reliable car. M157 is a proven engine. Transmission is pretty good. Overall the tires are Expensive to maintain. Brakes are cheap if you do them yourself. Having two sets of wheels takes up space. But if you arenít doing Track driving, you donít necessarily need 22Ē wheels. 0-60 on my all seasons are just as good as the summer tires.