GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Door/interior handle creaking noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
528i, GLK
Originally Posted by rocketm
Okay, finally my dealer was able to fix the problem. The first method (using silicon or lubication) failed. The second try was to order a new piece of chrome handle part. Remove the panel and re-adjust the chrome part with the other part of the handle. It is now in perfect shape. No more creaking.
very nice, is it complete silent even when you grab it now?

my dealer did not want to fix it since they were able to show me existing GLK on the lots with creaking handle when grabbed, saying its a common across the cars.

my handle does not creak when driving over bumps tho...
Old 02-08-2010, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63, GLK350
Originally Posted by webada
very nice, is it complete silent even when you grab it now?

my dealer did not want to fix it since they were able to show me existing GLK on the lots with creaking handle when grabbed, saying its a common across the cars.

my handle does not creak when driving over bumps tho...
Yes, it is complete silent now. Before the fix, you can feel the flex in the plastic from the back of the chrome. After they fix it, the plastic don't flex anymore and it is solid.. I believe there's something in between the plastic they have adjusted.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:58 PM

2010 GLK 350
Creaking likely not related to the door handle

Hi All. Looks like I'm joining the discussion a little late. In March, I got a beautiful new GLK and with just over 2K miles on it, I have begun experiencing significant creaking in both the driver and passenger side doors when driving at slow speeds especially over uneven or sloped pavement and/or rough surfaces.

I had the same issue with my door handles that several of you complained about, i.e. crackling noise emanating from the two hard plastic pieces. I have now had both of those handles replaced and that has eliminated the crackling I would hear when touching the door handles. Unfortunately though I am still experiencing a creaking, vibrating noise that appears to come from deep within my doors toward the rear of both the driver and passenger side door. When driving with a tech at my local dealer, he heard the noise and said it sounded like a "leather" noise (my car has MBTex not leather) and said he would remove the door panel and lube the door seals and latch and lube between arm rest and pull handle. I allowed him to do this. When I first picked up the car, the situation was improved, however, after driving for less than a day, the noise returned and still remains.

Because I complained to my service advisor and the customer service team at the dealer, I have another appointment to address the situation at the end of this week. Does anyone have any advice on what I can ask them to do to make this problem go away? Would new front door panels potentially solve this problem? Any helpful insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2010, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
My only question is this. Did this new second noise show its ugly face AFTER they fixed the door handle issue or was it there as well? I'd bet it came AFTER the door handle creak was repaired.

Most likely this new noise is a direct result of messing around with both doors to repair the silly door handle noise.... you see this requires the total dismantling of both door panels and all related hardware. Depending on the repair man and his attitude toward his job, all kinds of fasteners and other stuff were probably weakened, broken or lose.

Another words, the more you mess with it, the more could happen.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:09 PM

2010 GLK 350
Hi MBRedux. Thanks for your response. Actually, the creaking noise was present before the dealer even looked at the door handles. Their dismantling and reassembly of the door appeared to have fixed the problem for a brief moment in time, however as I mentioned earlier, the noise returned. It is no worse (or better) than before. So I would say your theory that an unskilled mechanic caused the noise through improper reassembly of the door is probably not true in my case.

Unfortunately ignoring and not pursuing the noise issue is not an option for me, so the dealer will have to make at least one more attempt at disassembling and reassembling the door. The service manager assured me that the tech they have selected for this job is their most meticulous and detail-oriented worker.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:22 PM

2010 Mercedes Benz GLK350 Black on Black, 2005 Acura TSX NAV Charcoal Grey
Hi Keithr76. My wife's GLK has that exact same "creaking"/"rubbing" noise when driving over bumps or making turns at low speeds. We got the car in August 2009 and I think the noise was first noticed around April 2010. I would say the noise feels like "rubbing" noise, and is coming from the roof, not door panels. At the beginning I thought it was the noise from both side roof-rails. We took it into a local dealership 2 weeks ago and test drove it with a shop foreman. He noticed the noise and said it was coming from the door seals. So he lubricated the door seals and noise was gone. However, the noise returned in 2 days and now it's worser than before. I took it in again this morning and the same shop foreman said he seen the same problem on a few other GLKs and some GLs as well. He doesn't has a fix now and would submit the concern to MBUSA. Hopefully they would have a definite fix for the issue, and I expect to hear back from the SA next week.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:07 PM

2010 GLK 350
@Acuda... More about creaking, rubbing noises

Hi Acuda - Thanks so much for writing. Your story sounds like deja vu to me. My dealer's foreman and the service director insisted that the problem sounded to them like a door seal problem. Like your mechanic, they (and a local district rep from MBUSA) were also convinced that the problem was due to door seals. They said that Armorall finish from the car wash could have gotten into the existing seals and ruined them. They lubed the door seals 2x as you described (on my 2nd and 3rd visit). Just as you experienced, things were quieter for 2-3 days and then the noise was back just as bad as before. As a goodwill gesture, they ordered six all new seals for all the doors and replaced the existing seals. For a few days everything was quiet, but then the noise again returned. I am completely befuddled as to what the problem might be. I do notice that when the driver side window is lowered 3/4 to 100% the noise all but disappears. I live on a very quiet street so I know that it's most likely not a case of ambient environmental noise masking the rubbing, creaking noise. I am starting to wonder whether the problem has something to do with the window (perhaps the window is rubbing against the seals or the door panel in an improper manner when it is in the Up position). I will be talking to the service director on Monday and will insist that he let MBUSA know about the problem. I will let you know what I hear. Thanks again for writing to me. Keith
Old 07-04-2010, 09:45 PM

2010 glk
creaky noises

your situation is very similar to mine...i'm curious have you heard back from mercedes?
Old 07-25-2010, 06:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by MY2010GLK
your situation is very similar to mine...i'm curious have you heard back from mercedes?
Same here keep us posted
Old 08-09-2010, 06:59 PM

2010 Mercedes Benz GLK350 Black on Black, 2005 Acura TSX NAV Charcoal Grey
Just contacted the dealership and they still waiting response from MBUSA. They said that it's normal to wait for 2-3 months until they hear back.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:55 PM

CLS63, GLK350
I never took mine to the dealer for the creaking. Bought a can of silicone spray and sprayed all the rubber seals, no more creaks. I've driven it on rough roads and dirt roads and washed it 4 times since then and no more creaks. This might be something that just needs to be maintained. But the silicone spray works.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Banned

2010 GLK 350, Palladium, P01,Chrome inserts,running boards,Bi-Xenons,Multimedia,AMG Body&Wheels,Tow.
Creaking

I dont have any noise coming from the seals, but I do have noise coming from the Drivers Interior door handle...will wait it out till the "A" Service or if it gets to annoying bring it in..
Old 08-10-2010, 04:15 AM

CLS63, GLK350
Whats the manufacture dates on everyones vehicles? Mine is 11/09
Old 01-18-2011, 03:54 PM

2011 GLK 350
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
I never took mine to the dealer for the creaking. Bought a can of silicone spray and sprayed all the rubber seals, no more creaks. I've driven it on rough roads and dirt roads and washed it 4 times since then and no more creaks. This might be something that just needs to be maintained. But the silicone spray works.
HI, I have the same creaking noise coming from doors at low speeds, and the handle does creak but only when i touch it to close the door. I dont think the Creaking noise is from the handle but may be the seals. I have 1200 miles on the car and noticed it about a week ago. Yesterday it was raining all day and didnt hear the creaking, maybe the water lubricated the seals on the doors. Today its dry and sunny and i heard it again. I am going to try the Silicone on the door seals. I did notice the Seal fixed on the door frame is not the same type and rougher feeling than the seal on the doors itself. Worth giving a try with she Silicone. I don't i want the doors taken apart just yet. Thank you.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:57 PM

2010 GLK350
my handles creak like a ****, and the door itself makes creaking noises over bumps, hills, etc. too....ridiculous
Old 01-19-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mazda 5, GLK350
Yea the seals are some sort of knitted fabric it seems.
Do consider applying some 1z Gummi or some seal feed and see if that helps with the creaking. Depending on the area you live, it might be dry+hot and the seals will need feeding more often i believe. Do correct me if im wrong lol.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:48 PM

528i, GLK
almost two years owning the car, I'm still surprised to see the same complaints. (I'm the OP on this thread) My car was serviced by MB Mahanttan dealership (which is own by MBUSA), they have no solution for the creaks. They just apply lubes all over the seals, front and back, everytime I take my car in for service. The creaks would go away until couple of month later or after few rain storms, then its back again. The creaks are due to torsion of the frame against the seals, new seals won't solve this problem unless its made out of entirely different material....

The door handle part is still a joke. Everytime I'm in the showroom they have a different GLK on display, I check them out all the time. New GLK still makes that noise when the handle bar is squeeze, sometimes I would be lucky and there will be one that's silent. I hop over to the C-class and the E-class, no such problem at all. Very disappointing...
Old 02-06-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
I have the same door noise you folks speak of...so is this a warranty issue?
Old 02-07-2012, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
I have the same noise on my door handles but it really doesn't bother me at all. it only makes noise when you really squeeze it so don't squeeze the door handles, just pull it with authority when you are closing the doors. besides, name any car out there that won`t have a rattle or noise (inside or outside)....if there is maybe it is not being used at all.

I'll be more concern if the handle is moving when you are pulling it but flexing and slight rubbing of the materials is normal. All of us really wants a perfect and worry free car but in reality there is no such thing.

Last edited by shotgun_banjo; 02-07-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:54 PM

2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
Is there a TSB on this yet? Sounds like there were some warranty successes.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Posted earlier on the other forum:

Originally Posted by Venchka
Just drove the Baby Benz to Tyler & back. King Cake Fetching & Grocery Getting Duty. GLK delivered Nov. 19, 2011. 4500+ miles.
I squeezed. Squoozed. Squuzed. Pulled. Pushed. Mashed. Yanked. Etc. on the driver's side door handle. Silence. Take your noisy door handles to your dealer and tell them to make your doors as quiet as the doors built on Oct. 15, 2011. Quiet like the doors Wayne has.

Wayne
The story remains the same. Apparently they found a solution by late 2011. OR. I will be hearing the same crud by the end of 2012.

Wayne

Last edited by venchka; 02-11-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:18 AM

UPDATE....

I took my GLK in to service the creaks and noises in both front doors. My MB dealer held onto my car for 2 full days...they also did some other stuff.

My loaner was a 2012 C250 Bluetec...with only 15 miles....wooooo hooooo!!!

Anyways, picked up the GLK today....no noise at all. They said the lubed the rubber seals, but the main culprit was the window glass when pressed against the door panel material. They claimed another GLK owner complained of the same issue.

Im glad its fixed...hopefully it stays quiet for awhile.

Pete
Old 03-28-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
I know this is an old thread.

Yesterday I brought my car in for B service and mentioned to SA about the creaking noises from door handles. It didn't bother me that much because I don't squeeze the handles, but I mentioned it anyway.
The SA did mention the noises was like that on many GLKs but they promised to look into anyway. I had to left the car at the dealership over night so they can take the doors apart and try to fix the problem (noises).
I picked up the car today and NO more creaking noises.
The handles were much firmer, NO more flex.
This fix is covered under warranty.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:55 PM

Do you know exactly what they did? My creaking noises came back. Its mainly the window.

If you notice, there's no noise when the window is rolled down...only when its up.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:18 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Originally Posted by PHML
Do you know exactly what they did? My creaking noises came back. Its mainly the window.

If you notice, there's no noise when the window is rolled down...only when its up.
I think the noise(s) from my car probably different from you car.
The creaking noises on my car only audible when I grab and SQUEEZE the door handle. The noises were there, whether the window is up or down.
These noises were from both front door handles. There were some flex, when you squeeze them.
The dealer took the door handles apart and add some sort of insulate materials.
The handles are now feel very solid and most important of all.... NO noises.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Door/interior handle creaking noise