GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK350: Common problems?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by webada
Chrysler and MB terminated their relationship couple years back and it was MB who purchased and sold Chrysler.

reliability in German cars are on and off. Just do a google on 'bmw lemon' or 'benz reliability'

if you are coming off a japanese luxury, then you should be prepared for a downgrade in both services and reliability.

yes, these are my own conclusion and experience after owning acura, infiniti, bmw and now a benz.

edit: oh, my issue with GLK is creaking sound on interior door handles and plastic rattles when going over bumps.
Webada I agree with you. I think reliability is an issue with most Eropean automakers. I have also owned Japanese brands like Lexus, Toyota, Honda,
Nissan etc. before switching to Audi and now Mercedes. I have experienced reliability issues with both German brands. I wish if the reliability was as good as their quality!

Last edited by unilzr; 07-31-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:55 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by unilzr
A constructive critique, not clairvoyance. Cynicism is out of place for that!
I'm pretty sure the other person meant it as a joke. You said you took delivery of your car in October 2010, which is in the future. Carrying through with that, you'd have to be clairvoyant to know about problems on a car of which you won't take delivery for slightly more than two more months.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Me, 2008 Hummer H2 Wife, 2010 Mercedes GLK350
Almost 19 000 km on our GLK350 now and no problems at all!
Old 07-31-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 c400 sport
40 000km, still perfect here.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:04 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Webada I agree with you. I think reliability is an issue with most Eropean automakers. I have also owned Japanese brands like Lexus, Toyota, Honda,
Nissan etc. before switching to Audi and now Mercedes. I have experienced reliability issues with both German brands. I wish if the reliability was as good as their quality!
I have not had any reliablity issues with any of my 2008-2010 Mercedes benz, CL550,SL550,CLS63 AMG and now a GLK350 SUV. I think the reliablity started to disappear completely in the 2007's. I had a 2003 SL500 that had a lot of problems.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:43 AM

GLK350
command crashed

Hi I have a GLK 350 with 26000 km on her, suddenly the i lost the dashboard control no odometer no signal lights and no cluster control, any body had similar problems, any ideas?
thanks
Old 08-04-2010, 05:13 PM

2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by balticgreen
I'm pretty sure the other person meant it as a joke. You said you took delivery of your car in October 2010, which is in the future. Carrying through with that, you'd have to be clairvoyant to know about problems on a car of which you won't take delivery for slightly more than two more months.
My bad! That is supposed to be 2010 GLK. I took the delivery in October, 2009. Thanks for pointing that.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:26 PM

2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by dralrezaq
Hi I have a GLK 350 with 26000 km on her, suddenly the i lost the dashboard control no odometer no signal lights and no cluster control, any body had similar problems, any ideas?
thanks
I have also lost the Nav. display and audio a couple of times. Now the power door locks for driver door and rear passenger door do not work.
My GLK is in shop for power locks to be replaced.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:14 PM

GLK350
I have also lost the Nav. display and audio a couple of times. Now the power door locks for driver door and rear passenger door do not work.
My GLK is in shop for power locks to be replaced.
Dude that is unacceptable in any car. I really like the GLK but man, of all the car's i've owned in my lifetime, this is the first one that's been in for more than oil changes and i've had a few from a CR-V, Pilot to TL, CSX I35 G35....I hope your troubles end after the current issues are fixed
Old 08-12-2010, 08:08 PM

GLK
Creaking noises!!!

My new GLK started to have creaking noises in the drivers door the first week of ownership and two weeks later the noises have appeared on the passenger side. This is awful. Drives you nuts. You'd think you were driving in a Hyundai or a Kia the noises are so bad. Sounds like the vehicle is made of lego. MB had better recall all of the GLK's with this problem if they wish to spare their reputation. That's if they even have a solution. There are many people with this identical problem. I could have bought an Audi, VW, Acura or BMW but opted for MB because of this beautiful GLK look and MB reputation. It takes years to make a reputation and one day to lose it. Right now, these horrible creaking noises have ruined my experience with this vehicle.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:34 PM

W205 c400 sport
Originally Posted by Scabby
My new GLK started to have creaking noises in the drivers door the first week of ownership and two weeks later the noises have appeared on the passenger side. This is awful. Drives you nuts. You'd think you were driving in a Hyundai or a Kia the noises are so bad. Sounds like the vehicle is made of lego. MB had better recall all of the GLK's with this problem if they wish to spare their reputation. That's if they even have a solution. There are many people with this identical problem. I could have bought an Audi, VW, Acura or BMW but opted for MB because of this beautiful GLK look and MB reputation. It takes years to make a reputation and one day to lose it. Right now, these horrible creaking noises have ruined my experience with this vehicle.
its funny how you sum up and discredit 100 years of automobile manufacturing and racing, as being lost, by your door handles making noise.

GROW UP.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:17 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Go to the hardware store and by a can of silicone spray. Use the entire bottle and spray all your rubber around all your doors and the rear hatch. You will no longer have any creaks. I did that a few weeks ago and no more creaks. Don't waste time with the dealer just spray it yourself and let us know if you like MB again.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:06 AM

GLK
Creaking

To the man is Saskatchewan...its not the door handles. Its creaking all around the vehicle.
To the man in Hawaii...thank you for your constructive suggestion. But tell me, what will the silicone on the door stripping do? I am just curious as the creakes seems to be all around the vehicle. I will try it but I can really understand what silicone will do.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
^ Silicone spray will help, but make sure it's pure silicone spray. The only one made is by 3M... the rest are junk.... mixed with other ingredients that can ruin some materials, like painted surfaces, plastic, etc.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:42 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by MBRedux
^ Silicone spray will help, but make sure it's pure silicone spray. The only one made is by 3M... the rest are junk.... mixed with other ingredients that can ruin some materials, like painted surfaces, plastic, etc.

What he said , the silicone keeps the dried out seals from making that creaking noise you hear. If you live in a cold climate you will need to do this more often then in a warm climate.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:49 PM

GLK
Creaking noises!!!

So I spray this stuff all around the rubber strips that go around the inside of the doors. OK. I still don't get it though. Silicone will lubricate the doors? How will it stop the whole vechicle from creaking? I'm not trying to be difficult but the noises seem to be coming from everywhere. I called the MB dealership manager here in Ottawa and left a detailed message but they didn't even bother to return my call.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
If it bothers you that much, it would bother me then don't call just show up (after the morning rush at the dealership) and ask for your SA if you have been assigned one and ask him to go out for a ride with you. Don't sit back you spent a lot of money for the vehicle. I know you want to enjoy your vehicle.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:46 PM

CLS63, GLK350
So I spray this stuff all around the rubber strips that go around the inside of the doors. OK. I still don't get it though. Silicone will lubricate the doors? How will it stop the whole vechicle from creaking? I'm not trying to be difficult but the noises seem to be coming from everywhere. I called the MB dealership manager here in Ottawa and left a detailed message but they didn't even bother to return my call.
The GLK is not creaking, the seals are creaking. Lub the seals and no more creak!!!! I know this from personal experience. Don't waste your time at the dealer. Go to hardware story buy the 3M Silicone spray and soak all the seals and rubber around every door and back hatch.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:08 AM

GLK
Creaking

Thanks guys. I will keep you posted.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:04 PM

GLK
Thumbs up it worked

Yep. The 3M silicone spray worked. The dealership had an attitude and told me they never heard of such an issue. Yea right! I did it myself and the squaks have stopped. I ordered two cans of the stuff (at a cost of $60..yea, we get raped in Canada when it comes to cost). I expect I might have to spray once a year.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:05 PM

GLK350
Sun shade Gap

Originally Posted by MB_Owner
When fully open, both sides of the sunshade on mine stick out maybe ⅜" past that center support. But there's no black gap. Actually, I've never seen a "black gap" so I'll have stop the sunshade before it's fully opened to see exactly what you're talking about.

Edit: On second thought, maybe you're talking about when the sunshade closes. In that case, it closes completely with no black gap. Sounds like your dealer may have to resync the mechanism.
Mine is doing the same thing. Just started today. Went to close shade and about 1/2 inch gap of black is showing as it did not close all the way. Taking my GLK into dealership for the 3rd time in 1 month for various problems. Ive only owned it 2 months. Door striker bad, cracked washer fluid bottle and now sun shade issue.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Lightbulb

Yep. The 3M silicone spray worked. The dealership had an attitude and told me they never heard of such an issue. Yea right! I did it myself and the squaks have stopped. I ordered two cans of the stuff (at a cost of $60..yea, we get raped in Canada when it comes to cost). I expect I might have to spray once a year.
Where did you get them in Canada? Much thanks in advance!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:06 AM

Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2010 MB GLK 350
In Vancouver got mine at Lordco. Can is white - label says 3M Silicone Lubricant (Dry), 08897, 241 g, CV-0002-7177-1, 51135-08897. Not sure if it is "pure". I use it to lubricate my wipers when they squeak. No creaking noises.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:29 PM

Exclamation GLK 350 Transmission Problems?

I've had my 2010 GLK 350 for a little over a year and it has 12,000 miles. Yesterday after returning from a two week vacation I started the car and put it into reverse, pressed the gas pedal and it didn't move. I put it into drive, pressed the gas and it didn't move. I turned the car off and re-tried several times. No luck. (Please note that I was parked on a flat surface and the parking brake was NOT on). I called the dealer to have them tow it in. When the tow truck driver arrived he insisted it was the parking break and grabbed the keys jumped in the car put the car in reverse and proceeded to step on the gas until there was a loud bang and the GLK flew backwards. At this point I was not a happy camper. They took the car to the dealer and now the dealer is telling me that they can't find anything wrong with it. I HEARD it BREAK!!!! I've read through and noted that transmission issues seem to appear frequently in this forum. I'm worried about driving the vehicle now. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 12-31-2010, 09:07 PM

Mazda 5, GLK350
Originally Posted by mdhope005
I've had my 2010 GLK 350 for a little over a year and it has 12,000 miles. Yesterday after returning from a two week vacation I started the car and put it into reverse, pressed the gas pedal and it didn't move. I put it into drive, pressed the gas and it didn't move. I turned the car off and re-tried several times. No luck. (Please note that I was parked on a flat surface and the parking brake was NOT on). I called the dealer to have them tow it in. When the tow truck driver arrived he insisted it was the parking break and grabbed the keys jumped in the car put the car in reverse and proceeded to step on the gas until there was a loud bang and the GLK flew backwards. At this point I was not a happy camper. They took the car to the dealer and now the dealer is telling me that they can't find anything wrong with it. I HEARD it BREAK!!!! I've read through and noted that transmission issues seem to appear frequently in this forum. I'm worried about driving the vehicle now. Has anyone else had this problem?
sounds unreal but it looks like something froze up

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: GLK350: Common problems?