GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2010 GLK in Muskoka @ Christmas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bicycle
2010 GLK in Muskoka @ Christmas

It handles the ice and snow with EASE...even without snow tires.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:24 AM

GLK 350
what kind of wheels/tires are on it right now? i would've been curious to see how the 20s handle in the snow/ice, but i didn't want to risk damaging the rim.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:23 PM

GLK 350 4Matic
looks at home in front of the cottage
Old 12-31-2009, 04:29 PM

GLK 350
Just got back from Muskoka as well, and would say with the Blizzaks had no issues. Went to Huntsville. when its snowed about 10 cms, the resort folks advised roads would be very slippery. The drive back at 9:00 at night was interesting, in windy white out conditions. In all the twist and turns had no issues, had to use my head.

Last edited by Baby G; 12-31-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:04 PM

2010 GLK350 4Matic / 2007 Infiniti G35S / 2005 Acura TL - All of them Loaded
Was wondering how confident you guys felt driving in the snow?

I'll be taking delivery any day now and am debating whether the GLK with 20's and Pirelli's would have done in these conditions. I'll need to decide whether to get snows in mid-January or wait to get the rims that I want later in the year. If I buy now, availability may be more limited and I don't want to get stuck paying a premium price and settling for less than what I would really want.

So...How confident would you guys have been without the snows in those kind of conditions? While the question might seem mute, it would give me some insight into the performance of the 4matic.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:58 AM

GLK 350
Personally I would have a biased say, since all our cars have snow's on them. My family are believers, and get them on all vehicles. Personally in the icy conditions, I'm sure the all seasons would have done fine going straight, but in the twist and turns, snows wind hands down. It depends, if your staying in the city you can get by, but if your planning on heading north then snows for sure.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:35 AM

glk
on ice...nothing works...
remember Ottawa a week ago? Jeeps with snows can't even make themselves out...

slower and slower guys...
it seems that ppl with snow tires think they can just drive like in summer time...
Old 01-05-2010, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by Baby G
Personally I would have a biased say, since all our cars have snow's on them. My family are believers, and get them on all vehicles. Personally in the icy conditions, I'm sure the all seasons would have done fine going straight, but in the twist and turns, snows wind hands down. It depends, if your staying in the city you can get by, but if your planning on heading north then snows for sure.
+1

I finally got to drive GLK in snow and on icy/snowy highway. I wasn't impressed with 20 Pirrelli's on. Yea AWD pull you fine uphill and through snow, but I never had troubles in FWD car with winter tires either.

On the highway is another story. I was going into half covered lane to pass a car on a highway going about 50mph. I felt my car going slightly sideways. That scrared me enough to go back to more plowed lane. When driving lighter FWD cars on snow covered roads with proper winter tires I had much more confidence.

Nothing new but ...winter tires on FWD > all-seasons on AWD still stands no matter what type of stability and traction control they put on GLK.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
Originally Posted by Taxidermist
Was wondering how confident you guys felt driving in the snow?

I'll be taking delivery any day now and am debating whether the GLK with 20's and Pirelli's would have done in these conditions. I'll need to decide whether to get snows in mid-January or wait to get the rims that I want later in the year. If I buy now, availability may be more limited and I don't want to get stuck paying a premium price and settling for less than what I would really want.

So...How confident would you guys have been without the snows in those kind of conditions? While the question might seem mute, it would give me some insight into the performance of the 4matic.
Well I can only say that winter tires help you to do 1 thing and that is to stop quicker and more predictable in cold,snow and ice conditions. As to driving in snow, I have driven without snows on rear, front and AWD and 4WD. Yes the added traction of AWD and 4WD can get started and keep you going through the deeper stuff if you have to venture out in it.

The GLK with all its tech can't change the laws of physics so just drive within your limits and know your car's limitations.