GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

First road trip with the GLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
First road trip with the GLK

My wife and I drove out to the mountains (Banff) for the weekend. It is about a 4 hour drive from Edmonton in good road conditions. I must say that I was very impressed with the performance... a few remarks:

-Great gas mileage with highway driving
-Engine sounded great... even at 145 Km/hr... reving just below 3000rpm.
-Passing was always fun... plenty of power when needed!
-Minimal wind noise in the cabin
-Sirius radio is awsome for roadtrips!
-Wipers work awesome... especially the rear wiper! (also... Rainx was the best solution of all that I tried)
-Xenons are absolutely fantastic for highway driving at night!
-Driver seat was extremely comfortable... never got a sore back or ***... although the lumbar support is slow to adjust.
-The ambient lighting (which I never really noticed in the city) gives a really cool effect at night on a dark highway. Especially the light under the reaview mirror... a nice orangy/yellow glow that illuminates the shifter area.
-The tall vertical windshield seems to attract flying rocks!... more so than other vehicles it seems. Got a few chips which I will have to get taken care of... I am sure glad I got the 3M film over the front of the hood, bumper, fenders and mirrors. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED IF YOU PLAN TO DO ANY HIGHWAY DRIVING!
Old 01-25-2010, 03:31 PM

GLK 4Matic
Sounds like y'all had a great time. We still haven't gone more than 3 hours away from home with our GLK. We are thinking of a Vancouver, BC trip from far West Texas in it but if fuel prices go way up like I heard predicted, we may take the MINI. Loaded up and driving a hair over speed limit, we are getting about 36mpg. The GLK 4matic gets about 10 mpg less but for that distance, we are still debating comfort vs. mpg.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:23 PM

2010 GLK 350 Sandstone Beige
Originally Posted by JT01
My wife and I drove out to the mountains (Banff) for the weekend. It is about a 4 hour drive from Edmonton in good road conditions. I must say that I was very impressed with the performance... a few remarks:

-Wipers work awesome... especially the rear wiper! (also... Rainx was the best solution of all that I tried)
-Driver seat was extremely comfortable... never got a sore back or ***... although the lumbar support is slow to adjust.
-The ambient lighting (which I never really noticed in the city) gives a really cool effect at night on a dark highway. Especially the light under the reaview mirror... a nice orangy/yellow glow that illuminates the shifter area.
-The tall vertical windshield seems to attract flying rocks!... more so than other vehicles it seems. Got a few chips which I will have to get taken care of... I am sure glad I got the 3M film over the front of the hood, bumper, fenders and mirrors. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED IF YOU PLAN TO DO ANY HIGHWAY DRIVING!
Tell me more about the 3M film.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:22 PM

R350

Is this a standard feature? Or as part of the package.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:05 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
Sounds like y'all had a great time. We still haven't gone more than 3 hours away from home with our GLK. We are thinking of a Vancouver, BC trip from far West Texas in it but if fuel prices go way up like I heard predicted, we may take the MINI. Loaded up and driving a hair over speed limit, we are getting about 36mpg. The GLK 4matic gets about 10 mpg less but for that distance, we are still debating comfort vs. mpg.
That's quite the trek... I would go for comfort and safety! Take the GLK!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:13 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Originally Posted by glkbeige
Tell me more about the 3M film.
A thin see-through film that is applied over the front bumper and the side mirrors and over about 14 inches of the front of the hood and down over part of the front fenders.

As long as you give it appropriate time to set, it will stay on and help protect against rock chips. You don't even notice it.

I simply phoned my dealership and asked someone in the shop to tell me where they get it done for their customers. Then, I simply went there directly and probably saved about $200. In all, I think it cost me about $450.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:15 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Originally Posted by DukeBoy27
I am not sure... it was itemized on the spec sheet for my GLK, but like the wood trim, it only had a $1 cost associated with it. This leads me to believe that it is a free option that either comes with the leather package or the premium package... not sure...
Old 01-26-2010, 12:18 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350
Ugh man I got my first rock chip in my windshield a couple weeks ago. I was driving down Westminster HWY going about 55-60km and it was nice and quiet when bam! sounded like I got shot and startled the crap out of me. Now I have 5 really small rock chips all together in an area the diameter of dime on the lower middle part of the front windshield. I inspected the rest of the car and I'm at least glad nothing hit the body. I should find some time to get it filled or something
Old 01-28-2010, 11:32 AM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
That's how I feel about mine, true performance car!

The comment you made about Rainx is something you may want to reconsider and discontinue using. If you search this forum you will find comments that Rainx can cause future problems. I can't remember exactly what was said but you can read about it and judge for yourself from the threads.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:24 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350
Originally Posted by gdepau
That's how I feel about mine, true performance car!

The comment you made about Rainx is something you may want to reconsider and discontinue using. If you search this forum you will find comments that Rainx can cause future problems. I can't remember exactly what was said but you can read about it and judge for yourself from the threads.
Nah RainX is all good, the comments were invalid.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:16 AM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
Originally Posted by Kamen
Nah RainX is all good, the comments were invalid.
I think it was MBRedux who was arguing against using Rain-X. I use it on three cars and haven't had any problems either. But I do clay the windshields before applying Rain-X the first time to ensure they are squeaky clean. And it has to be reapplied on a frequent & regular basis to maintain the effectiveness.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by DukeBoy27
comes with leather package
Old 01-29-2010, 01:33 PM

GLK 2010

I drove my wife's GLK through some serious snow squalls and blizzard conditions coming home from Tremblant Quebec yesterday. The GLK handled like a beast!! My 17" winter tires really stuck to the road. The handling was awesome as I watched everyone around me slipping and sliding all over the place. My only complaint was the slow speed with which others in front of me were driving. I guess I was just far more confident than them. I was truly impressed.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:39 PM
ame

glk
does anyone know that if there are LED light on all the door handle like bimmer?
thanks
Old 01-29-2010, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by 4everblue
I drove my wife's GLK through some serious snow squalls and blizzard conditions coming home from Tremblant Quebec yesterday. The GLK handled like a beast!! My 17" winter tires really stuck to the road. The handling was awesome as I watched everyone around me slipping and sliding all over the place. My only complaint was the slow speed with which others in front of me were driving. I guess I was just far more confident than them. I was truly impressed.
Can't say the same when driving on stock 20 pirrellis. My old lighter car was much better, but again it had winter tires. If I had snow more than 5 times a year and I had to drive in it, winter tires are a must.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by ame
does anyone know that if there are LED light on all the door handle like bimmer?
thanks
no
Old 01-30-2010, 07:14 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Originally Posted by ame
thanks
Don't know what bimmer door handle lights are like but I have orangy/yellow lights in all interior door handles.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Don't know what bimmer door handle lights are like but I have orangy/yellow lights in all interior door handles.
they have LED on the outside handles, very neat imo