GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

What could have MB added on the GLK350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Originally Posted by MBRedux
Good stuff all..... I do wish the rear camera was in the rear v. mirror (40% of it on the right) and not on the Navi screen....( less time to shift eyes and faster judgement )

The rear seat backs should be able to recline at least 10-15 degrees for long trips.

A sport steering wheel or wood depending on the type of interior you have

Better steering feel and feedback to the driver. Improve self centering geometry.

Better body fitment especially hood to front bumper/grille gap. (Look how MB photoshops their pix of the car vs. the real thing!)

Front door windows that should go all the way down.

A full size spare tyre.

I could go on and on....

Anyways.... we still love our baby Benz!
Agreed... but my windows do go all the way down. What's the deal there?
Old 03-11-2010, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
yea all 4 go all the ways down here.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:16 AM

GLK
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
2) Tunnel mode, when you hit and hold inside ventilation button - all windows/sunroof close at once - available on Euro models. Don't care as much as all windows and sunrood have auto up/down feature.
Is tunnel mode where you honk the horn to entertain your kids?

I would have liked to see:

1. Hill holder on the transmission. Our car rolls backwards at stops on hills. It rolls backwards rather quickly, so you have to consciously think about it if there is another car REALLY close to your rear bumper. The dealer said that the transmissions are not designed with a hill holder function. This sounded fishy to me, so I tested it on the GLK dealer loaner I have this weekend and it behaves exactly as our car does.

2. A slightly longer cargo area. Yes, this would increase the overall length of the vehicle. But there are a lot of occasions where I wish I had just 6" more.

3. An opening sunroof over the rear seats. This is a fixed / non-movable piece of glass.

4. Separate climate control for the rear seats. Our ML had it; the dealer said it is just not available on the GLK (for 2010 anyway; hopefully will be on later years).

5. A better storage bin in the center console. The one we had on our ML was much better. The one on the GLK seems a little awkward in comparison. I know the ML is bigger and the engineers had more room with which to work, but I still think they could have done a better job.

6. A Nav system that allows the passenger to input destinations while the car is moving. This is locked out to prevent the driver from playing with the Nav while the car is moving. But why not let the passenger do it? There is a sensor to determine if a passenger is sitting in the seat, for use by the air bag controller, so it could be done pretty easily.

7. Paddle shifters (aka flappy paddle shifters as on Top Gear), but only if they functioned properly, i.e.- right side upshifts, left side downshifts. Our ML had a rocker switch behind the steering wheel that you rocked to one side to upshift and the other to downshift, so both sides of the wheel did the same thing. It was nearly impossible to get your left hand on the downshift side of the rocker when holding the steering wheel, so was nearly impossible to "manually shift it.

8. An optional sport suspension package, with shocks, springs, anti-sway bars, strut tower brace, etc.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by MilesBFree
Is tunnel mode where you honk the horn to entertain your kids?

I would have liked to see:

1. Hill holder on the transmission. Our car rolls backwards at stops on hills. It rolls backwards rather quickly, so you have to consciously think about it if there is another car REALLY close to your rear bumper. The dealer said that the transmissions are not designed with a hill holder function. This sounded fishy to me, so I tested it on the GLK dealer loaner I have this weekend and it behaves exactly as our car does.
push brake pedal hard for that. We have brake assist which keeps car from rolling for a few seconds. But I wish it held till you push gas pedal (that's how brake assist worked on E class in europe)
Old 08-31-2010, 12:42 PM

GLK
Thanks! Pushing hard on the brake pedal works. I am not in the habit of mashing down on it after I stop, but if that is how it works I will have to get used to it.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by JT01
Agreed... but my windows do go all the way down. What's the deal there?
Funny but our front windows now do! The rears do not, there's an 1/8th of an inch or so sticking up.... no big deal. The dealer said it helps prevent window rattle. But...............

I WOULD LIKE TO ADD ONE MORE TO MY LIST:

*Larger side view mirrors.... man, every time I drive my wifes GLK, the outside mirrors appear to be microsized... smaller than a mini's mirrors or worse... they're so tiny compared to the standard these days.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 GLA45 AMG, 2013 GLK 350, 2010 GLK 350
2011 Canadian with AMG package has paddle shifters
Old 09-01-2010, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
that's cool, too bad tranny is very slow in the manual mode unless they did some program update to accomadate better manual shifting.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:36 PM

350 GLK - 4 Matic
Transmission in manual mode is woeful, so I only use when crusing along in traffic to stop the thing constanstlychanging up and down as traffic speeds up and slows down.

My 2004 Forester Turbo had two sunglass holders in the roof. Bloody handy. Why this hasn't is a question I ask myself every time I get in it. Having a couple of paris of oakleys rattling around in that bucket between the seats smacks of cheapness.

Most of all though, I'd make it so that when driving with just the drivers window down, the air pressure beating goes away. I know a lot of cars have this, but this is the worst for it that I have owned.

Ermmmm......love the car on the whole though.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by montreal-uk

Most of all though, I'd make it so that when driving with just the drivers window down, the air pressure beating goes away. I know a lot of cars have this, but this is the worst for it that I have owned.
open the rear window a bit and you are good

agree on sunglasses, and GLK needs a bit more storage. Wallet and phone are in the cupholder all the time
Old 09-02-2010, 09:25 AM

GLK
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
open the rear window a bit and you are good
I have found that on ours, you need to have the rear window rolled down a fair amount, or even better, roll both rears down a bit.

The beating problem is something all modern cars seem to have. Maybe the older cars I had in years past were just really leaky in general and didn't have that issue, or maybe I just have less tolerance for it as I get older.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
^^^I think it has to do with aerodynamics. SUVs and wagons are more prone to this "popping". Toyota Matrix, older 4runner and GLK have that problem. My 2-door solara never had this issue.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by wired
guys..

wondering what you would have like in your fab glk350 that MB did not think of..

just a thought.. i know i would have love to see the blutec version of the glk350 here in north america..

thanks..
I think less is more. the less complicated the less often you will have a problem. I did not want for example a electronic rear hatch opener, I can open the hatch. Get my drift.