GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Oil change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
From MKenM:

"So let me see if I understand, I have a full glass of soda and a straw, following me so far. I put the straw half way into the glass and proceed to enjoy the soda. This must be a not so fattening soda because I only get half the calories.

OK, they do it by vacuum. I don't think that they get all the oil no less all the metal. Maybe the reason for a magnet on the drain plug is just for that, to pick up some of the metal that doesn't make it to the filter.

Vacuum or drain plug which is quicker. I know the answer. Quicker isn't always better but it is a way for a high volume service department to work more efficiently and charge us more money. Isn't that what its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'll take my car to my old fashion mechanic, give him the oil and pay him $20 bucks for which he supplies the filter and let him change the oil and rotate the tires.

When all is said and done we're both satisfied and I have the peace of mind knowing that I watched him do it in what I consider to be the right way."

Well said!
Old 10-24-2010, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02clk55///2010GLK350
I have used a topsider for all of my mercedes but not for the GLK. There is a slight constriction at a lower spot down the tube and it does not allow the topsider tube to get to the very bottom. I have tried using a thinner diameter tube but it is too slow. Dealerships have a vaccuum that slip over the top of the dipstick hole. The diy above works just fine. Be sure to change the washer when replacing the plug. They are notorious for leaking w/o the replacement.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
Plain and simple why the dealers use the suction method...NO LIFT = NO DAMAGE. Too many vehicle get damaged on lifts and...
the mechanic never has to bend over or down. Everything is accessed from under the hood therfore, oil changes can be left to less qualified employees and bigger jobs get handled by more experienced techs.
I prefer to drain. The oil pump/pick does not suck up and filter every spec of dirt or crumb in the oil, it's impossible. Draining warm if not hot oil will allow gravity to work in your favor. Draining is more time consuming, but it allows me to fully inspect the under side and clean any areas I cant reach from up top.
Thinking more about, the dipstick could not possible get more or as much oil out as draining. My vehicle has a dipstick and when adding oil, it shows low then full. There has to be a gap between the diptube and the bottom of the pan to allow the stick to get a reading, therefore, some oil, the oil with the most contaminants, will be left behind.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
The tube bottoms out

in the pan

if you have pieces of metal in your pan big enough to cause concern you have bigger problems than figuring out which method of changing oil is better or easier .Extraction gets more out ,easier,safer,quicker and no more frantic posts about stripped over torqued drain plugs
usually find that the people that insist on the drain method also argue about using anti seize on spark plugs(which you don't use)
most times they also swear by their K/N air filters
Old 10-24-2010, 11:39 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Ohkord...have you used the topsider on the GLK 350? I have tried many variations of tubes and it does not bottom out. I have been using the topsider for years and feel that it is the best method..but not with this engine. It usually does bottom out in the pan and I'm unable to get more than 5 qts out. I can feel the tube hitting a constriction which does not allow it to go deeper. I added a thin tube to the end of the topsider tube but it took forever to extract so it's a few minutes more for the drain plug method.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
I ran a griots

unit with the thin rigid line warm engine slightly before extraction.
topsider is slower than most of the newer styles

I now use a marine grade electric drill powered pump and it takes about 5 minutes to have it sounding like a straw sucking at the bottom of an empty glass.
Another tip for anyone using an evac unit is to get it going for a few quarts and then loosen the filter cap to let atmospheric pressure aid in the evac unit operation.
everyone needs to do the method they are happy doing
Old 10-24-2010, 05:39 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by ohlord
in the pan

if you have pieces of metal in your pan big enough to cause concern you have bigger problems than figuring out which method of changing oil is better or easier .Extraction gets more out ,easier,safer,quicker and no more frantic posts about stripped over torqued drain plugs
usually find that the people that insist on the drain method also argue about using anti seize on spark plugs(which you don't use)
most times they also swear by their K/N air filters
and Amsoil
Old 10-25-2010, 06:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
I dont use anti-seize, or, amzoil, or lucas oil additive and factory filters are fine by me....Oh Lord, please explain how suction gets more oil than draining. At least in my vehicle, the dipstick tube is not the lowest point in my oilpan. The drainplug appears to be.
This debate will go on in every class forever. Suction is for ease and the less mechanically inclined and it is quicker and cleaner.
When I can no longer get or fit underneath my cars, I too will switch too the suction method.
Cheers
Old 10-25-2010, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by ohlord
everyone needs to do the method they are happy doing

No, everyone needs to do it MY WAY!!!

Last edited by rmfnla; 08-14-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB GLK 250 BT 2013
Thank you for taking time and posting photos. Now I only hope that my GLK diesel 2013 has a similar layout. Thank you.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
The 4Matic has a kink in the bottom of the tube so you need to use an adapter plug on the top of the fill tube. I purchased one and they work perfectly.
Who are these people with shavings in the bottom of the pan? Maybe, just maybe on the first change - but even that I doubt. The Germans are engine fanatics and I can't figure out where those bits would come from? If they exist and can get into the engine the filter is the first stop. I call BS on the shavings in the oil pan. Isn't there a magnet on the plug for the weird off chance??
I like changing from the top. I hate pulling the panel and don't like an off-chance leaky plug - a much bigger possibility. Besides I don't mess up my cigar sliding under the car...;-)
If you feel better sliding under and removing parts to drain your oil - have at it.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G500, GLK 350
Originally Posted by mjhawkins2346
The 4Matic has a kink in the bottom of the tube so you need to use an adapter plug on the top of the fill tube. I purchased one and they work perfectly.
Can you point me to where I can find the adapter plug? I use my MityVac to change my G500's oil and would like to do the same for my wife's new (to us) GLK.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:03 PM

2016 GLE300d 4Matic
Originally Posted by koly
Can you point me to where I can find the adapter plug? I use my MityVac to change my G500's oil and would like to do the same for my wife's new (to us) GLK.
Yup, here you go. It slips perfectly in my Tempo Fluid Extractor Kit but should work with others too:
http://fluidevacuators.com/products/...adapter-detail
Old 02-28-2015, 02:33 PM

2016 GLE300d 4Matic
Originally Posted by MKenM
So let me see if I understand, I have a full glass of soda and a straw, following me so far. I put the straw half way into the glass and proceed to enjoy the soda. This must be a not so fattening soda because I only get half the calories.

OK, they do it by vacuum. I don't think that they get all the oil no less all the metal. Maybe the reason for a magnet on the drain plug is just for that, to pick up some of the metal that doesn't make it to the filter.

Vacuum or drain plug which is quicker. I know the answer. Quicker isn't always better but it is a way for a high volume service department to work more efficiently and charge us more money. Isn't that what its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'll take my car to my old fashion mechanic, give him the oil and pay him $20 bucks for which he supplies the filter and let him change the oil and rotate the tires.

When all is said and done we're both satisfied and I have the peace of mind knowing that I watched him do it in what I consider to be the right way.
OK, well that made my head spin two ways.

Where do you think a smart dealership or shop would make the choice for faster and cheaper so they can charge or rather make more money? Would that be a prime motivator for your business? I don't think you keep customers that way. Mercedes nor their dealerships are interested in quick profits. You don't last over 100 years as a business making choices like that.
Knowing the Germans a bit I'm sure they tested it 16 different ways to make sure it wasn't just faster or cheaper but didn't compromise the oil change effectiveness or shorten vehicle life. You can still believe they are venal, however, if you wish.

Does your "old fashioned mechanic" charge you $20 to "do it in what you consider to be the right way"? Even the quickie shops charge $40 to $50 for the quickest of oil changes without any tire rotation. Since the Mercedes uses 0-40 Euro synthetic Mobil 1 or similar - you will pay that much or more for just the oil. You can then scrutinize not just the oil change but also make sure they use an approved oil (keep the bevo-sheets handy).

I've had more problems with drain plugs being stripped or dripping later because of improper torquing of the plug than anything else. Besides, I haven't seen filings in a pan I've pulled in a very long time and isn't that what the filter is for? All the oil goes through there.

Do what you wish but I think your thoughts are anecdotal and apocryphal.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I don't get why people think that dealers use extractor. I always see dealers using these collectors with a giant funnel on top where there oil drains into, while the do the rest of check ups. My MB dealer def has that, you can see the entire working area.

It takes 5 seconds to undo the oil plug if the skid plate is already off. While oil is draining, they keep working on the car.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993

Does your "old fashioned mechanic" charge you $20 to "do it in what you consider to be the right way"? Even the quickie shops charge $40 to $50 for the quickest of oil changes without any tire rotation. Since the Mercedes uses 0-40 Euro synthetic Mobil 1 or similar - you will pay that much or more for just the oil. You can then scrutinize not just the oil change but also make sure they use an approved oil (keep the bevo-sheets handy).
He said he provides oil. What's the right way? Oil change on GLK is easier than most cars. The hardest part is finding and undoing 17 screws that hold the front skid plate.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
OK, well that made my head spin two ways.

Where do you think a smart dealership or shop would make the choice for faster and cheaper so they can charge or rather make more money? Would that be a prime motivator for your business? I don't think you keep customers that way. Mercedes nor their dealerships are interested in quick profits. You don't last over 100 years as a business making choices like that.
Knowing the Germans a bit I'm sure they tested it 16 different ways to make sure it wasn't just faster or cheaper but didn't compromise the oil change effectiveness or shorten vehicle life. You can still believe they are venal, however, if you wish.

I've had more problems with drain plugs being stripped or dripping later because of improper torquing of the plug than anything else. Besides, I haven't seen filings in a pan I've pulled in a very long time and isn't that what the filter is for? All the oil goes through there.

I'm sorry did I say faster and cheaper. I meant to say faster and more expensive. And, I guess you missed the part where I provide the proper Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil. For over 100 years cars have but put on lifts or driven over pits to change oil (Jiffy Lube) and the oil is changed from the bottom. My MB dealer happens to have a very large facility with 50 lifts and 100 bays. Expedience does not make for a bad oil change my point is you don't get all the old oil out and yes it is anecdotal because I worked in a garage for a while and while my observations were mechanical in nature and not scientific it was a fact and still is draining the oil from the bottom was and still is better insurance on getting the job done right.

Now if I understand your big words you think my apocryphal story is not true. and you think when the dealer being as venal as he is, is not trying to convince you that his $150-$200 plus oil change is the only way to insure that your warranty stays intact.

We are all out to make money the best possible way. that is why when I bent a rim they told me it would have to be replaced. $750-$900 later I find out the guy who fixes scuffs on wheels has a machine. Hope to straighten out wheels another apocryphal story by the dealer. They are all in there to make money the quickest easiest way that produces the most $$$.

If you think your local garage can't change oil the proper way then by all means take it to the MB Stealership and compare. MB may use siphon or not but I know my guy will do the exact same thing the dealer does without a siphon and guarantee it for half the price, and that my good man you can take to the bank. So much for big words.

In the end if the car is warmed up and the plug is pulled and the old oil is removed via the drain plug nothing can go wrong except putting in the wrong oil or filter. The drain plug is pretty straight forward but you must have had bad experiences with that plug. You need to stop doing this yourself and pay someone who knows what they are doing otherwise your problems will continue to mount and you will end up with the proverbial lemon
Old 04-03-2015, 01:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux
So, mobil 1 0w/40 for oil change of GLK350? Or is it only for the GLK250?
Old 04-03-2015, 05:18 PM

2013 GLK250 Bluetec
I had to look this up learning a new word today...
Old 04-03-2015, 05:26 PM

2013 GLK250 Bluetec
Lightbulb

When i change my oil i like to drain till it drips minimally then send a full litre (yeah Canadian eh!) of oil to "flush" out the last crap in the bottom of the pan and chase it out as it were, its always surprising what dirty stuff flows then goes near clean..
Old 04-04-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
This guy https://mercedessource.com/ had a video, which I believe he now sells, clearly showing siphoning of oil was superior to draining. He's recently changed his site and I couldn't locate it. Maybe someone else can. It's a great site especially for older Benz'.

I too was old school on draining, until I saw his video, which I just could no longer find on the new site. Maybe someone else and find it, but it was enlighting. I'll now vacuum my oil on any on which I will DIY.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:42 PM

2013 GLK250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by MKenM
I'm sorry did I say faster and cheaper. I meant to say faster and more expensive. And, I guess you missed the part where I provide the proper Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil. For over 100 years cars have but put on lifts or driven over pits to change oil (Jiffy Lube) and the oil is changed from the bottom. My MB dealer happens to have a very large facility with 50 lifts and 100 bays. Expedience does not make for a bad oil change my point is you don't get all the old oil out and yes it is anecdotal because I worked in a garage for a while and while my observations were mechanical in nature and not scientific it was a fact and still is draining the oil from the bottom was and still is better insurance on getting the job done right.

Now if I understand your big words you think my apocryphal story is not true. and you think when the dealer being as venal as he is, is not trying to convince you that his $150-$200 plus oil change is the only way to insure that your warranty stays intact.

We are all out to make money the best possible way. that is why when I bent a rim they told me it would have to be replaced. $750-$900 later I find out the guy who fixes scuffs on wheels has a machine. Hope to straighten out wheels another apocryphal story by the dealer. They are all in there to make money the quickest easiest way that produces the most $$$.

If you think your local garage can't change oil the proper way then by all means take it to the MB Stealership and compare. MB may use siphon or not but I know my guy will do the exact same thing the dealer does without a siphon and guarantee it for half the price, and that my good man you can take to the bank. So much for big words.

In the end if the car is warmed up and the plug is pulled and the old oil is removed via the drain plug nothing can go wrong except putting in the wrong oil or filter. The drain plug is pretty straight forward but you must have had bad experiences with that plug. You need to stop doing this yourself and pay someone who knows what they are doing otherwise your problems will continue to mount and you will end up with the proverbial lemon
+1
Old 04-04-2015, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK 250 BlueTEC
Originally Posted by Bob338
This guy https://mercedessource.com/ had a video, which I believe he now sells, clearly showing siphoning of oil was superior to draining. He's recently changed his site and I couldn't locate it. Maybe someone else can. It's a great site especially for older Benz'.

I too was old school on draining, until I saw his video, which I just could no longer find on the new site. Maybe someone else and find it, but it was enlighting. I'll now vacuum my oil on any on which I will DIY.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Thanks!!!
Old 04-04-2015, 06:18 PM

2013 GLK250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Bob338

WOW well i can see why you converted and i havent been through half the video yet....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil change