MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLK-Class (X204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204-94/)
-   -   Oil change (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204/370892-oil-change.html)

edulinka 10-12-2010 02:44 PM

Oil change

Besides MB dealership what oter places you used to do oil change?
Something like Sears,BJ .... What your expirience and price? Also what is the price to do it in MB dealership ?

NYCGLK 10-12-2010 04:49 PM

Can't comment on other places, but since it's synthetic oil it will be at least 70-100 bux I would think.

At MB it's called service A which is 250-300 bux. I know it's a lot for basically what an oil change but it's also MB service history which should help the resale value later on. Also while car was serviced I asked to fix tailgate issue which took over a day, and I had C-class rental to do my errands.

MBRedux 10-13-2010 10:05 AM

DIY.... and save big time... besides Jiffyboob and Sears often put the wrong oil in cars.

GLKster 10-14-2010 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by MBRedux (Post 4296549)
DIY.... and save big time... besides Jiffyboob and Sears often put the wrong oil in cars.

Is there a link for DIY somewhere showing where oil filter and oil drain plug are located ?

ohlord 10-14-2010 10:15 AM

Fleece filter

about 8 bucks online
mobil1 0w40 oil
you extract the oil with topsider or griots extractor. No need to even crawl underneath and use the drain plug. The dealer does not use it so why would you

Do the rest of the fluid and visual inspections reset the service indicator fill in the service booklet
no problems:y

MKenM 10-14-2010 08:37 PM

The crank case should be obvious but the oil filter not so. When you open the hood there is a plastic 2 piece cover over the engine. The front piece closest to the radiator needs to be come of and the filter is right there. The filter is not your traditional one, it is fleece filter as ohlord mentioned. The fleece filter is a inside what looks like an oil filter shaped container (you only buy the fleece part). In addition there are "O" rings that should come with the filter that need to be replaced (without nicking them). As far as siphoning or draining I prefer to drain more difficult but I think it might do a better job of getting out all of the old oil and possibly and contaminating particles floating in or near the bottom of the pan.

ame 10-14-2010 11:49 PM

you sure the dealer extract the oil from the top and not draining the oil from the pan?

MBRedux 10-15-2010 03:05 PM

Too bad I didn't this time around... so sorry... but the next time I change the oil, I'll post a DIY thread on how to do it.

rmfnla 10-15-2010 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by ohlord (Post 4298739)
about 8 bucks online
mobil1 0w40 oil
you extract the oil with topsider or griots extractor. No need to even crawl underneath and use the drain plug. The dealer does not use it so why would you

The dealer doesn't own my car so their convenience is probably more important to them than doing the best job possible.

I agree with MkenM; any metal shavings in the crankcase will probably not get picked up by a siphon but they will go out through the drain hole.

Do it right or don't do it at all.

SL2003driver 10-15-2010 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by ohlord (Post 4298739)
about 8 bucks online
mobil1 0w40 oil

Do the rest of the fluid and visual inspections reset the service indicator fill in the service booklet
no problems:y

My dealer had a promotion of a free Oil/Filter change and inspection. They had it on the rack and pulled everything off the bottom and drained and then put it all back. Did 8-9 qt's of Mobil 1 0w40 and went over the entire vehicle. The price was also great. Only had 2500 miles on car so it was nice to get out the old stuff and start clean. Car was 9 month old since the build date. :)

shagin wagon 10-16-2010 06:11 PM

$105 at my MB dealer with 30 minute wait and I reset service "A" message myself ... bada bing!

rmfnla 10-18-2010 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by SL2003driver (Post 4302207)
My dealer had a promotion of a free Oil/Filter change and inspection. They had it on the rack and pulled everything off the bottom and drained and then put it all back. Did 8-9 qt's of Mobil 1 0w40 and went over the entire vehicle. The price was also great. Only had 2500 miles on car so it was nice to get out the old stuff and start clean. Car was 9 month old since the build date. :)

9 months old with 2500 miles? You drive as little as I do; ain't it great?!

edulinka 10-18-2010 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by shagin wagon (Post 4303349)
and I reset service "A" message myself

How you do this?

GLKKa2H 10-18-2010 05:04 PM

In accordance with STAR TekInfo, March 2009 Mercedes-Benz Reset Service Indicator Guide: http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...tedDocId=10502:y

SL2003driver 10-18-2010 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by rmfnla (Post 4306145)
9 months old with 2500 miles? You drive as little as I do; ain't it great?!

On Maui you can find lease turnin cars that are 3 years old with only a few thousand mile on them. I just missed getting a 2008 CLK550 for $32K with only 2200 miles on it and the dealer CPO's it.

rmfnla 10-18-2010 08:11 PM

That's one of the reasons I don't lease cars; at 4K per year max I'm giving them back almost half the cost of the lease when I turn it in!

BudC 10-18-2010 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by shagin wagon (Post 4303349)
$105 at my MB dealer with 30 minute wait and I reset service "A" message myself ... bada bing!

That's what I do. It's crazy to pay $60 and hour to have the dealer check your fluid levels.

BTW, I drained my oil for years but with two new knees, I had to give that up. I started using an extractor and I believe that if gets as much out as draining it.

Unless you do it yourself, take it to a dealer. It won't cost that much more and you'll get the right filter and oil and it will be done by someone who hasn't spent the day working on front wheel drive econo-boxes.

nickEl 10-19-2010 07:50 PM

Guess I'm old school, but I always use the drain plug. Here's some pics after changing my wife's oil earlier this month.

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/a...2010_99_21.jpg
The oil filter is located inside the round black plastic cap.

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/a...2010_99_19.jpg
This is what it looks like after you take it out.

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/a...2010_99_26.jpg
Mercedes uses Mann filters at the factory.

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/a...2010_99_10.jpg
Here is the drain plug (you have to remove the lower engine compartment paneling)

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/a...t2010_99_1.jpg
This is what a filter and copper washer will cost you at the dealer.

-Nick

GLKster 10-19-2010 08:34 PM

Does the oil filter come with the rubber seal O ring ?

CLK 2 GLK 10-19-2010 10:06 PM

That hurts, how much for the oil ?. I just paid 250 for service Bend over.

nickEl 10-19-2010 11:16 PM

Yes, if you buy a Mann filter it comes with the 3 o-rings. Not sure about other brands.

The Mann filter is under $10 if you shop around the internet.

Autozone was having a sale on Mobil 1 earlier this month, so 9 quarts was $50ish if I remember correctly.

lkchris 10-19-2010 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by rmfnla (Post 4302089)
The dealer doesn't own my car so their convenience is probably more important to them than doing the best job possible.

I agree with MkenM; any metal shavings in the crankcase will probably not get picked up by a siphon but they will go out through the drain hole.

Do it right or don't do it at all.

Ah, mythology and ignorance.

Metal shavings are trapped by oil filter. Anything too small to be trapped there is meaningless and harmless. (And will probably go up the "siphon" tube, too.)

Of course if you've seen the dealer extraction equipment, you'd know there's not a "hose" stuck down the dipstick tube. It's just a vacuum fitting at the top of the tube. It's a pretty big tube.

Vacuum extraction is universally considered by professionals as the superior method--it's simple paranoia and ignorance to just label it "convenient."

GLKKa2H 10-20-2010 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by lkchris (Post 4309195)
Ah, mythology and ignorance.

Metal shavings are trapped by oil filter. Anything too small to be trapped there is meaningless and harmless. (And will probably go up the "siphon" tube, too.)

If so, would the "Mythbuster" kindly explain the findings of metal debris on the magnet of the drain plug (bottom of the pan), please?

I support MKenM's view on procedure to be followed.:y

rmfnla 10-20-2010 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by lkchris (Post 4309195)
Vacuum extraction is universally considered by professionals as the superior method--it's simple paranoia and ignorance to just label it "convenient."

"Professionals" are simply people who get paid to do something; I'll take a fanatic any day!

As for paranoia and ignorance, I'm hoping my ME obviates the one and my years of therapy the other! :D

MKenM 10-20-2010 09:17 PM

So let me see if I understand, I have a full glass of soda and a straw, following me so far. I put the straw half way into the glass and proceed to enjoy the soda. This must be a not so fattening soda because I only get half the calories.:eek:

OK, they do it by vacuum.:bow: I don't think that they get all the oil no less all the metal. Maybe the reason for a magnet on the drain plug is just for that, to pick up some of the metal that doesn't make it to the filter.

Vacuum or drain plug which is quicker.:confused: I know the answer.:rolleyes: Quicker isn't always better but it is a way for a high volume service department to work more efficiently and charge us more money. Isn't that what its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'll take my car to my old fashion mechanic, give him the oil and pay him $20 bucks for which he supplies the filter and let him change the oil and rotate the tires.

When all is said and done we're both satisfied and I have the peace of mind knowing that I watched him do it in what I consider to be the right way.