GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

That *Oil Change* Contraption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by mjhawkins2346
Well, I'm on my 9th Benz, this one a GLK and I never knew it was such a hot topic to polarize posters on whether to use a pump or pull a drain plug.
I'm spaz enough that I've ruined a few drain plugs in my crazy youth - and had to use one of those thread cutting replacement plugs which I figured was a much bigger hassle than worrying about metal shavings I've never found.
I like that I can change the oil in a Benz entirely from the top. Suck it out with a pump while unscrewing the filter. Never have to set down my beer. Talk about a benefit.
I have used a pump for many years in boats because the drain plug is inaccessable and if someone didn't put a valve and hose on it you'll never get it out and if you did you would just foul your bilge.
I have the same worry about missed particles but since the early 90's I've never seen a pan pulled that had much of anything in it if the oil changes were done regularly.
Those that are concerned, nevertheless, should do what they feel is best and validates their extra effort and pull the drain plug. FWIW, I find the exact and correct amount of oil gets sucked out to the teaspoon so I don't think any old oil gets left behind. My Benz's have lasted for an awful lot of miles and I don't put off oil changes since they're so easy.
Again do what you like. I'm comfortable with the pump.
100% with you. If its good for MB engineers, it is good for me. Can't believe so called experts would argue about this (or re-use copper washers ) Dealers have a slightly better set up than the Mightyvac!

By the way, the last MB engine we had didn't even have a sump drain plug!

And anyone who has owned a boat will know that suction is only way to change oil.

I still have to drain my R107 through sump, but I still suck as much as I can out first.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
I am able to get more oil out using an extractor than I do opening the drain plug. That is my experence.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SL55 , CLK500, SL600, GTR
Easiest & Portable oil evacuation change

Here is what I use for oil changes and it works great for portable oil changes on long track days. I got this cheap ironton pump that I have been using for about a year now for 20$ at northern tool and it works great. It is 12 volt so I use an old battery charger that makes it portable to power instead of using the car battery which you could but I prefer not to run the risk of draining my battery. I have tried it that way and it did not kill the battery but in my honest opinion it's peace of mind to use an external power source.

What I do is first make sure to remove the oil filter and the oil cap to the engine I feel this allows a better flow of the oil by allowing air through the openings. I make sure the car is nice and warm so the fluid flows better insert the extraction tube down into the oil dipstick all the way to the bottom. Then insert the drain tube into a container I use the wife's empty tidy cat jugs, works perfect! and holds all of the fluid. Once i have all of the fluid out I make sure to put the same amount back in measuring it. I use the oil filter hole to pour the new fluid in because it is a huge opening and you can just dump it right in quickly. Put a new filter on and put that back in. i use the dipstick tool to measure the correct levels which for my engine 113.995 is minimum 137mm and max 167mm between 9 and 9.5 quarts is what I find brings it to the top of the range. I also use the dash oil level measurement tool as well. I run the car for a few min. and then let it settle down and rest before checking the levels again and that's it. No hand pumping, no air compressor needed although those do work good as well. Cleanest, fastest, easiest and its all in a sealed recycled jug to take to auto parts store to dump for free. Happy engine! ( Also note that I did a test to see how much I could get out at just 1500 miles and I was able to extract out the same amount that I put in which is the correct amount as well. I would say that for these cars this procedure or any evacuation pump will get all of the oil which means you don't have to jack the car up and you do not have to replace the drain plug and washer and in the case of my car the m113k motor has 2 drain plugs for oil.)

Here is a link to the pump.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...omOBoCxs7w_wcB

Last edited by dfrat; 02-20-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
10 GLK350/ 15 Accord/ 94 Supra Turbo
i like that, thanks for sharing