GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

4matic whining noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by cmasten
just started to hear this whine at 45,000 I bought a 2010 CPO about a year ago, took it to Penske in West Covina, CA and they just ordered a new trans, said it would be here in 2 days and they would replace the entire unit under warranty.
Can you describe what your whine sounded like? Was it a constant whine? Mine tends to have some whine at low speeds (below 25 mph), and even then only around the shift points. My SA said that's normal for 4matics. So if yours was similar, and your SA decided to replace the trans, I might make the drive to West Covina to have them look at mine.

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML350
just wanted to finish my update.

The dealer replaced the Trans and also checked the torque converter which they chose to replace also. All in all 100% covered under warranty and it took them 3 days to do the replacements.

It was a day and a half of work and about a day and a half to get the parts in.

Its as smooth and quiet as I remember when I bought it.

if you hear whining above 30 mph.. take it in.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:36 PM

2013 ML350
Originally Posted by lyonkster
Can you describe what your whine sounded like? Was it a constant whine? Mine tends to have some whine at low speeds (below 25 mph), and even then only around the shift points. My SA said that's normal for 4matics. So if yours was similar, and your SA decided to replace the trans, I might make the drive to West Covina to have them look at mine.

Thanks.
Sure, The whine for me started on the freeway. It sounded to me like my blower fan was going out (bearings) and i needed to have the AC off and the radio off to hear it. At 40Mph it became more prominent, but honestly I just thought maybe i needed a trans service which is due at 45k, the mileage I had just hit.

I took it into the dealer to just check and when they put it on the rack and took it up to 70 it was VERY apparent to them that bearing in the transfer case was gone. At 70 when I drove it the road noise didn't let me know it was an issue.

im glad I had this checked, but according to my SA its very rare, he had never seen a case in his service center but the TSBs are where they located that MB was aware of it. They were able to diagnose it ultimately by putting it on a rack and having tech underneath as they took it from 30-70 mph.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C300 4Matic Sport, '02 530i
Originally Posted by cmasten
S but according to my SA its very rare,
Judging by the number of cases reported here as well as on the W204 forum (these cars have been around longer), it's not that rare.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:50 PM

2013 ML350
could be, I guess my comment was really that Penske in West Covina is a very large service center in So Cal and this is the first case they have seen on a 2010 GLK. They sure didnt put up any resistance to replace not only the Trans but also the torque converter.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 CLS550 4Matic; 2010 E550, 2007 SL550
BS.
My GLK 4Matic is dead quiet.
My C300 4Matic was dead quiet until the deathwhine started, they replaced the tranny and it was dead quiet again.
My wifes's E350 4Matic is dead quiet.

Now, rule out other things. It is very hard to determine where a while is from inside the car. Rotate the tires and see if anything changes. Listen during a sweeping turn or going over a whoop. Weight shifting may cause changes in noise if it's a tire or wheel bearing, but shouldn't if it's in the tranny/transfer case.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:38 AM

Received 194 Likes on 133 Posts
2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
Folks, my 2014 GLK250BT is experiencing a very faint "whine" that is definitely speed-related. I'm wondering if this might be a sign of an issue? A couple of things to note:

1. I notice it MOSTLY when I'm coasting. That is, if I don't apply power and slow down only on air resistance and friction, I can hear it on some days. If I step on the power again, I don't hear it.
2. The noise reminds me of front differential whine that I've heard on every 4WD/AWD vehicle I've owned until I bought the GLK.
3. I'm not sure if it's from the tires, but I believe I've heard the noise with my winter tires as well.
4. I have extremely sensitive and picky ears. I hear everything. The slightest anomaly (see my thread on cavitation/resonance with this car) is very audible to me. Perhaps the 4MATIC system is operating normally and I'm just extra-sensitive.

Any thoughts? I have about 12K miles on the car now, and would like to draw on others' experience to see if I need to be watching this more closely. Any people with the facelifted 204 experiencing this? Thanks!
Old 12-23-2014, 09:35 PM

2019 GLC 300
I also have a GLK250 BT (2013) and have this exact symptom. Just started noticing it. I have about 22,000 on the vehicle. Did you ever find the issue, or just living with it or decide consider it normal ?

Originally Posted by bytemaster0
Folks, my 2014 GLK250BT is experiencing a very faint "whine" that is definitely speed-related. I'm wondering if this might be a sign of an issue? A couple of things to note:

1. I notice it MOSTLY when I'm coasting. That is, if I don't apply power and slow down only on air resistance and friction, I can hear it on some days. If I step on the power again, I don't hear it.
2. The noise reminds me of front differential whine that I've heard on every 4WD/AWD vehicle I've owned until I bought the GLK.
3. I'm not sure if it's from the tires, but I believe I've heard the noise with my winter tires as well.
4. I have extremely sensitive and picky ears. I hear everything. The slightest anomaly (see my thread on cavitation/resonance with this car) is very audible to me. Perhaps the 4MATIC system is operating normally and I'm just extra-sensitive.

Any thoughts? I have about 12K miles on the car now, and would like to draw on others' experience to see if I need to be watching this more closely. Any people with the facelifted 204 experiencing this? Thanks!