GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Mercedes Benz Customer Support (Sucks)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350
Angry Mercedes Benz Customer Support (Sucks)

Good afternoon all.
Just wanted to pass along some information on your MB automobiles.
Do not service these yourself. If you do you will get no support from MB at all. Bought a 2010 GLK350, great car to drive, at 10,000 miles the transfercase decided it was time to expire. New trans put in under warranty. Not a big deal, there are always some bugs in new models. Now we were on vaction coming home, the replacment trans has about 50,000 k on it. Guess what, the same damn thing is going out again. I figured since this is the second one they may stand behind the product like Honda would to as a good faith measure. Well guess what they said........ we are sorry but there is nothing we can do for you. The dealership is offering a little but as for MB, nothing at all. Sorry for your problem. You would think they would be wanting to know nore of what happened and how they could help. Well I guess we know how many more of these fine automobiles we will be purchasing. Stay away from this brand at all cost. I can see if this was the first occurance, but twice in 60,000 miles. You really have to be kinding me......... There is a problem with the parts in the car. We bought into the Best or Nothing claim and found out it is really the Nothing part they are concerned with. Thanks Mercedes for nothing. I was reluctant when we bought this car but went against better judgement. One expensive lesson to learn. Never again will I own a Mercedes Benz after their lack of customer support.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(SOLD) 05 E55 Estate. 11 Golf TDi
I'm confused, how did you service this yourself?

you said a new trans went in under warranty. if it went in under warranty, then MB had to have done the actual installation, correct?

but, as I suspect, you'll never be back to answer the question.

Last edited by theunderlord; 11-15-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1969 280S, 1991 300E
This is some serious trolling. Thank you for your insight, Mr. 1 Post.

You went against your better judgment by purchasing a Mercedes-Benz?

No. You went against your better judgment when you decided to service the car yourself. If you approached Mercedes-Benz in the same fashion that you are approaching this fine forum, I am not surprised you've run into a brick wall.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
I'll post a 'guess' as to why MB isn't helping.... might it be that the servicing of the tranny(40K or something?) wasn't done, and therefore....?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:23 PM

GLK350
I perform my own oil changes general maintance fluid changes and such myself. Even with receipts for the parts and stuff. It did not matter, if I aint paying the high price at the dealership they aint interested in supporting their product. This should happen in any make or model of vehicle yet alone a high end brand. Just can not believe they offered nothing at all.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:25 PM

GLK350
Yes MB dealship installed the first transfercase under warranty. My issue is this is the second one and the car will be on its third in 63,000 miles. Kind of a joke. So I hope that answere your question.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:34 PM

GLK350
Your assumption about the servicing would be incorrect. I was not looking for a free replacement and I was not not rude when I spoke to them on the phone. I simply gave them my information and vehicle background and told them about the first problem and that I suspected it was replaced with an early trans that had the same parts in it. I know most people how purchase a MB probably will not service their own car but I happen to like doing the maintance and such. The car is very nice on the underside as well which most people will never get to appreciate. The brake lines and fuel lines are all overed with shields and the exhaust layout is great. I am just disappoiinted in the position they have taken. And yes I do have receipts if you are wondering. As I mentioned the car is great to drive and the engineering is done very well but with no support it makes it hard to stay in the brand. If it was the first tanscase I could understand there position but they are basically saying the car is good for 50,000 and then be prepared to pay up.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:46 PM

2015 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by REVTO9
Your assumption about the servicing would be incorrect. I was not looking for a free replacement and I was not not rude when I spoke to them on the phone. I simply gave them my information and vehicle background and told them about the first problem and that I suspected it was replaced with an early trans that had the same parts in it. I know most people how purchase a MB probably will not service their own car but I happen to like doing the maintance and such. The car is very nice on the underside as well which most people will never get to appreciate. The brake lines and fuel lines are all overed with shields and the exhaust layout is great. I am just disappoiinted in the position they have taken. And yes I do have receipts if you are wondering. As I mentioned the car is great to drive and the engineering is done very well but with no support it makes it hard to stay in the brand. If it was the first tanscase I could understand there position but they are basically saying the car is good for 50,000 and then be prepared to pay up.
Actually, should you reread my previous statement... I stated "guess", and not "assumption". With that said, sorry to hear of your deliema. I too do my own work, but Mercedes insists on following their 'comprehensive' maintenance schedule.... I am referring to their tranny fluid/filter change scheduled at 40K miles which includes the torque converter as well (I'm somewhat skeptical that the MB shop actually pulls the tranny for draining the converter, but, hey, that's MB. If one follows the letter of the schedule, has all checked off with dates, receipts, etc., I doubt MB would have a case to disqualify you.....
Any 'miss' in the schedule could allow them to do exactly what you have stated... pls don't get me wrong, I'm with you on this!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:03 PM

GLK350
You would think they would offer something. Not even what the dealer was already offering. I realize the car is out of warranty. Even the replacement trans but you would think there would be some support. Parts discount or something but they offered nothing. Just hard to believe from this brand. Live and learn I aguess. I just cant believe it is happening twice in the same car. Not sure where to go from hrre. The car runs fine snd shifts snd drives fine but you hear the bearing whine inside. I dont mean to bash a brand but this mskes it difficult when a co work just had a complete lower block replaced at no charge on a civic that cost less than half the price of this car.and the csr had 140000 miles on it. No questions asked.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:42 PM

Titleist
You mentioned the car is out of warranty. I thought the car came with a 4 year warranty. did you go over the allowable mileage?

EDIT: I re-read your post and saw the mileage numbers and now understand the reason for the car being out of warranty.

Last edited by golfster; 11-15-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:50 AM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
Every auto manufacturer I have ever represented has a set of guidelines for dealers and field personnel when dealing with after warranty policy adjustments. Mercedes is adamant about the proper servicing of their transmission units and seem to be unbending when these problems arise if any of the ingredients are not fulfilled.

Through the years, I have seen numerous cases where the manufacturer refuses to participate if there is a lack of proof positive necessary maintenance was done on time using the proper procedures. If they are being expected to exceed their original agreement and bear the cost of repair, one can sympathize with this position.

While receipts can prove that parts were purchased at some time, they do not prove the maintenance was actually performed on a timely basis and done properly. I strongly suspect that Mercedes requires dealers to purchase special tools for transmission work and that most do-it-yourself folks do not have normal access to these items.

You are asking them to spend money above and beyond their original agreement with you as a purchaser. Service records from an authorized source of timely and proper maintenance gives them evidence the failure was of their own failing. Records from the purchase of supplies for work purportedly done by an untrained source...not so much.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:15 AM

GLK350
To be honest though. Mercedes corp's customer service is terrible in Canada. Dealer's hit and miss. MB canada just doesn't give you the feeling that they stand behind their product the way Lexus/Acura does
Old 11-16-2012, 11:11 AM

GLK350
Jallen4, just thought with this being the second one in the car they would show some support for their product. Just because someone doesn't work at the MB dealship does not mean they are untrained. It is not rocket science to flush a transfercase. These are cars with mechanical parts, same as any other car. Just because they are MB doesn't mean they use some magical parts. Parts fail, I understand that but two in this short of time is unaccepted for any manufacturer. I believe the part that is failing again is a bearing which I am sure MB purchases from some other supplier. Anyways, its broke it has to be fixed and then will probably be sent on it's way. Will have to look to Acura or I hate to say, at least drive the SRX and see what it is like. We were thinking about getting a new GLK but with the response from MB it is pretty clear we will look into something else. These are not cheap vehicles so I would expect better support as should everyone who purchases one of these.

Was expecting to hear from the underlord as his comment was I would never responde.........
Old 11-16-2012, 02:23 PM

none
I feel for you. That stinks that it happened twice. That would be hard to swallow for most people.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost they quoted you to replace it? And what did the dealer offer, as you alluded to some sort of help from them.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:21 PM

GLK350
6700.00 usd less 1000.00 usd, not much of a discount as I am sure the dealer mark up is 100% on the parts.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:14 PM

2015 ML350 Bluetec
Ow....! My move would be to have a look on www.car-part.com and look for a good used one with little mileage.. Perhaps find a local garage that works on MBs' to install.
I know the 2010 4-matic had issues, some have actually gone through 2, as there was some issue/bearing not able to take the thrust..... Apparently it took MB awhile to 'update' the problem. Hate to say it but maybe the 2nd lived on the shelf & was not updated... maybe check serial #s'. Do a search on here, there were some issues and delays. If presented well, they may rule in your favor...
Good luck!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 PM

GLK350
Thanks. My thinking was exactly as you mentioned. At the time of the first one there was one that existed in the states at the time. They shipped it from ca to the midwest and installed it. My guess was it had no updates as the car we bought was very early in the model. I thought that would have been taken into consideration by mb but apparently it did not matter to them. I am wondering if I could install this on my own or if there is some programing that has to be done to get the control module to work. I crrtsinly hate to give them more of my money for an issue they should consider a defect.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:56 PM

2015 ML350 Bluetec
Wouldn't know offhand if there'd be any programming involved.... I believe the computer might have to re-learn.. but... why not have a chat with the service mngr, pick his brains, find out if there are any 'special' tools involved(maybe loan out), and if programming is a must. He might even offer you a discounted fee... if you arrive with an extra coffee? LOL! I think the oil alone should bankrupt you... there's a lot of liters in that tranny!!!!
Old 11-16-2012, 11:24 PM

GLK350
Yeah. They ssid they would install it fluid was around 600 allone.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:03 AM

GLK 350 4Matic, G35, Ford Ranger FX4II
For the record MB and my local dealer have been very good to deal with, in fact a pleasure.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:39 AM

GLK350
[QUOTE=Frank Zappa;5436488]For the record MB and my local dealer have been very good to deal with, in fact a pleasure.[/QUO

Dealer has been good just thought mb would offer something on parts but they didnt.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:57 PM

GLK350
Here is the other beautiful part. They would replace the transmission, torque converter and transfer case. All with new MB parts which is great if they are updated. The surprising part is they will only guarantee the new items for 12 months. Why not with the standard new warranty...... Is that to much to ask? I am also wondering why they just would not replace the parts that are bad. the car runs fine shifts fine, Just on occasion a slight hum that can only be heard inside the car with radio off and such. It's a bearing not a complete transmission. Anybody know why they just don't replace parts and want to sell me half of a new car?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:18 PM

2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
Having dealt with a tranny issue before in another german marque - I know first hand what this is like. Frustrating when the manufacturer blames the customers & then double dips into your pockets again.

If every1 knew that a MB tranny blew at 2-3 years - I think no amount of $ will pay for the crap they are shilling.

Keep us posted REVTO9!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:31 PM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
It is not uncommon for manufacturers to warranty repairs for twelve months or twelve-thousand miles. GM does though warranty complete assembly replacements for three years or thirty-six thousand miles if they are done out of warranty. If done during the original warranty, the warranty expires after twelve-months or the expiration of the original warranty, whichever is last.

It would seem to me you have two potential alternatives to pursue. One would be to have the vehicle repaired by an independent shop if you can find one that claims to be able to re-build the failed unit. The second option would be to either sell the vehicle or trade for another vehicle. If the concern is no more evident than you describe, chances are the dealer would never notice the perceived problem.

Many dealerships, if not most, no longer involve themselves in re-building major assemblies. Finding and or training qualified personnel is nearly impossible and the incidence frequency just not profitable for the investment required. When the job goes wrong, the outcome can be an absolute nightmare for an extended period of time. The potential savings to the consumer is just not worth the potential problems. I have not rebuilt a complete transmission or engine assembly in a dealership for at least twenty years.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:31 PM

none
I think if you look at the schematics the 4matic transfer case is integrated onto the transmission such that it can't be replaced independently. I guess it's how they can save on manufacturing costs. In this instance that savings doesn't really apply if they keep dieing off.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Benz Customer Support (Sucks)