2013 Mercedes GLK350 with H&R Springs and Brabus Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E500 Estate
2013 Mercedes GLK350 with H&R Springs and Brabus Exhaust

With this Mercedes GLK350, it was time for some SUV love! Starting with an improvement to the ride height and comfort, we installed a set of H&R's Sport Springs , lowering the front approximately 1.2" and the rear 1.0". After that, we moved in on an exhaust upgrade from Brabus. The fully stainless-steel BRABUS quad sport-exhaust systems lends the GLK a powerful exhaust note, while also adding a nice appearance to its rear bumper.

Parts Installed:
Mercedes GLK 280/GLK 300/GLK 350 Brabus Sport Exhaust System
Mercedes GLK 350 (X204) H&R Sport Springs

The Build

The Exhaust

OEM Exhaust

Time to remove the OE system...

to make way for this!

Cutting the OEM mufflers

The new Brabus system is in

H&R Springs

The Kit

OEM strut

Strut removed

Spring compressed for removal and disassembly

H&R verus OEM
Fronts
Rears

And all installed

For more pictures of this build, visit the gallery here!

Last edited by GMP Performance; 09-04-2013 at 11:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DUXmen (05-05-2019)
Old 09-04-2013, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11' GLK350 - AMG Package
GREAT THREAD! Love all the pics and willingness to step outside the box. I still can't decide on pulling the trigger on the H&R sport springs as I really don't want the hassle of arguing future warranty claims....question on the install / spacing that hopefully you could address. I'm looking to run an aggressive staggered setup and the rear wheels / tires will definitely be outside the fenders. With the drop in the rear, and front for that matter, does the body (fender lips) sit far enough away from the factory 20" tires to not rub when compressed going over bumps/driveway inclines/ etc? OR do the factory tires tuck inside the fenders over bumps thus my agressive setup would rub like crazy?

And do I spy a Tesla Model S in the background? lol

Last edited by baggedlvintegra; 09-04-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:10 AM

‘07 SL55, ‘88 930 Turbo Cab, ‘16 Model S, ‘20 GLE 350, 08 997 sold, 13 328 s
That is one sweet GLK! Any way we can get a clip of that Brabus exhaust? How much would that set me back?
Old 09-08-2013, 12:50 AM

2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
Awesome thread thanks for sharing.
Any before/after side shot of side by side of lowering?
Old 09-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E500 Estate
Good Morning,

https://www.gmpperformance.com/index...ail&pid=295107

Here is the link to the product on our website. The price of the exhaust is $2395.

It is not a very loud exhaust but it does sound very nice and smooth. Not raspy at all. Unfortunately we did not have time to take any sound clips as the customer needed to have his car back as soon as we finished. I would like to think of it as the difference between a standard Mercedes exhaust and an AMG Mercedes such as an E500 and an E55 or E550 and an E63.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:59 PM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2010 GLK350
Any issues getting the alignment back within factory specs with those H&R springs?
Old 09-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E500 Estate
Originally Posted by TPete19
Any issues getting the alignment back within factory specs with those H&R springs?
We were not able to align the car back to 100% factory spec but I think we were not too far off either.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:41 PM

11' GLK350 - AMG Package
Any chance you could provide some insight into my question above? With the drop in the rear, and front for that matter, does the body (fender lips) sit far enough away from the factory 20" tires to not rub when compressed going over bumps/driveway inclines/ etc? OR do the factory tires tuck inside the fenders over bumps thus an agressive wheel setup would rub like crazy?
Old 09-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E500 Estate
Originally Posted by baggedlvintegra
Any chance you could provide some insight into my question above? With the drop in the rear, and front for that matter, does the body (fender lips) sit far enough away from the factory 20" tires to not rub when compressed going over bumps/driveway inclines/ etc? OR do the factory tires tuck inside the fenders over bumps thus an agressive wheel setup would rub like crazy?

I cannot speak for aftermarket wheels. All I can say is that this set up does not rub at all. 100% rub free
Old 09-10-2013, 02:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Is the spring rate changed much? Any comparisons with stock springs? I have the AMG package but it's not quite as firm a ride as I would like for all the curves I have to drive.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E500 Estate
This car had the AMG package as well but I couldn't tell you how much of a change in stiffness the springs made but it was definitely stiffer than stock but not to the point where it was uncomfortable. At least for me anyway.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
From what I can glean from the EPC, the AMG is a cosmetic pkg. only with no change in spring rates from the standard GLK. Where were the problems on reaching the alignment specs., in the front or the rear? Would a caster camber plate kit solve the problem? Does anyone make one yet for the GLK? I think the stance & the exhaust look great!
Old 10-01-2013, 09:19 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E500 Estate
Originally Posted by Rascally Wabbit
From what I can glean from the EPC, the AMG is a cosmetic pkg. only with no change in spring rates from the standard GLK. Where were the problems on reaching the alignment specs., in the front or the rear? Would a caster camber plate kit solve the problem? Does anyone make one yet for the GLK? I think the stance & the exhaust look great!
This car would definitely benefit from a camber plate, however I don't know of anyone off hand that makes one for this vehicle.

Glad you liked it!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
10 E63, Sold -07 E63
Could I ask what specs you were able to bring it back to. I have the springs, but was wondering how alignment would be afterwards. I don't want to keep on changing tires, I already have that problem with my e63.

Originally Posted by GMP Performance
We were not able to align the car back to 100% factory spec but I think we were not too far off either.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E500 Estate
Originally Posted by pnoyworx
Could I ask what specs you were able to bring it back to. I have the springs, but was wondering how alignment would be afterwards. I don't want to keep on changing tires, I already have that problem with my e63.
We were able to adjust the front camber to factory spec -.2 degrees combined with the use of camber bolts from Mercedes.

The rear sits at -1.7 degrees negative camber which is obviously outside factory spec.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:29 AM

11' GLK350 - AMG Package
Originally Posted by GMP Performance
We were able to adjust the front camber to factory spec -.2 degrees combined with the use of camber bolts from Mercedes.

The rear sits at -1.7 degrees negative camber which is obviously outside factory spec.
Can you provide some more insight on these "Mercedes camber bolts"? ie their spec adjustment capability, where to buy, etc. I was unaware that the alignment/camber would get so out of spec from just 1" lowering springs.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E500 Estate
Originally Posted by baggedlvintegra
Can you provide some more insight on these "Mercedes camber bolts"? ie their spec adjustment capability, where to buy, etc. I was unaware that the alignment/camber would get so out of spec from just 1" lowering springs.
I'm sorry I cannot tell you how much the bolts helped but there is no camber adjustment from the factory so I can say that you're camber specs would be outside the factory specs without them.

As mentioned in my previous post the bolts are from Mercedes. Simply drive to your nearest dealership and tell them you need camber bolts for your GLK.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:13 PM

10 E63, Sold -07 E63
Thanks for the info. Those numbers in the rear is not scary bad, but a problem in the long run.

Do you know if w204 share the same suspension, or totally different? If they shared, maybe we could borrow from the w204 aftermarket adjustable arms or sorts?
Old 10-05-2013, 09:49 AM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
You cannot "improve" ride height. You can change it up or down to better suit a specific desire. You improved the ride comfort by installing shorter springs?? hmmmm.....

"Starting with an improvement to the ride height and comfort,"
Old 10-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E500 Estate
Originally Posted by pnoyworx
Thanks for the info. Those numbers in the rear is not scary bad, but a problem in the long run.

Do you know if w204 share the same suspension, or totally different? If they shared, maybe we could borrow from the w204 aftermarket adjustable arms or sorts?
I couldn't tell you if those parts would cross over or not. I would order them if they would allow you to return them if they didn't fit.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
Talked with a shop owner I did business with in Cincinnati about this alignment problem. Bill (Performance Alignment) recommended I contact K-Mac in Australia sales@k-mac.com about this. Reply from this company stated they have a kit available for the front & a possible solution for the rear. I have no interest or association with this company, just trying to find solutions for when the H&R Springs go under our GLK.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:21 PM

10 E63, Sold -07 E63
I heard of them before. Actually I have to get something from them for my 63. Mixed reviews on their product though for the 63.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E500 Estate
Originally Posted by Rascally Wabbit
Talked with a shop owner I did business with in Cincinnati about this alignment problem. Bill (Performance Alignment) recommended I contact K-Mac in Australia sales@k-mac.com about this. Reply from this company stated they have a kit available for the front & a possible solution for the rear. I have no interest or association with this company, just trying to find solutions for when the H&R Springs go under our GLK.
Two words about K-MAC

STAY AWAY!!!!! You will be hitting yourself over the head with a hammer if you try to order one of their bushing kits.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E500 Estate
Their camber plates work great, their bushing kits are very labor intensive and their tools to remove the OE bushings always end up breaking and our clients end up spending way more $$ than they anticipated. Do not go this route unless they have a bolt in replacement arm option.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:30 AM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
GLK 350 – Currently we do not have this model in Australia. But from the pictures showing the front 2 bolt flange strut design our P/N 120216 kit will fit (14mm diameter bolts). Same K-MAC kit suits Mercedes Sprinter and Vito Vans which experience premature edge tire wear as they also have only Toe OEM adjustment.

Advantage of the K-MAC patented design is that unlike all other brands these critical stub axle mount bolts are not downsized/weakened to achieve adjustment capability. Instead correct OEM diameter bolts are retained along with the K-MAC kit also providing twice the adjustment range.

NOTE: Re upper strut plate adjusters – If anyone is willing to chase up, provide a sample OEM top strut mount and Coil seat, with “in house” manufacturing at K-MAC it would be no trouble for our company to design and produce a pair of Camber (and Caster) adjuster plate kit in exchange at no cost.

The rear GLK 350 suspension – we only need the 4 inner mount bush specs to quickly adapt our unique patented design technology to produce a precise single wrench Camber and Toe adjuster kit to resolve premature tire wear issues and improve traction also on the rear as well.

Re “their Camber Plates work great, the bushing kits are very labour intensive….”

We are the longest established Camber, Caster, Toe adjuster kit manufacturer with World’s largest range Audi to Volvo. Invoking criticism is something a company has to contend with when prepared to constantly “not sit on the fence” but to be out there designing, creating new products, ideas – going where other manufacturers don’t go!

For example, we have amassed over 20 international patents with patents applied to the whole 6 basic types of vehicle suspensions

(see photo)

Also see performance Racing Industry video

K-MAC is the only company to design, patent and manufacture adjustable front Camber and Caster bush kits to suit virtually every model Mercedes 1968 to 2013 and for the rear suspension ultimate lower arm Camber bush kits. Not upper adjustable arms which do not maintain clearance top of tire to outer fender which is so important if wide profile tires, wheels are fitted. Included with all rear is a Toe bush kit also that doubles the existing Toe adjustment range.

Re “labour intensive” – all K-MAC current design extra heavy duty tools which are supplied with every kit now for time saving allow the rear bushes for Camber adjustment to be removed/replaced on vehicle. While nearly all Mercedes models from 2000 upwards the front suspension arms are single alloy units and once off vehicle the 4 inner bushes also can be easily removed/replaced using a basic bench press with the tools supplied.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2013 Mercedes GLK350 with H&R Springs and Brabus Exhaust