GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2014 GLK 250 bluetec AdBlue warning

Old 11-23-2013, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by BigBoeing
I just hope they're resolving this problem at the manufacturing level vice shipping the problem to their customers and forcing them to deal with it as has been your case!
They are not currently shipping broken (for lack of a better word) GLKs to customers. If it doesn't have the corrected software from the factory, it will get the corrected software at VPC when it gets to North America. Every dealer also performs a pre-delivery inspection before you take delivery and as part of that process, they make sure software is up to date. So on the very off chance that it wasn't updated at VPC, the dealer will catch it.

The only customers who should be dealing with this are unfortunately the ones who purchased 2014 GLK250s before the fix was available or those who purchased a car off the lot if the dealer did not update all their already-in-stock cars when the fix was made available.

You and I and everyone else who had later build dates should not have this problem. Man, am I glad I chose that second build date when I had the choice. There needs to be a "whew" emoticon.

Originally Posted by 107123210
One option may be to just not accept delivery of car.

Any thoughts? Just not feeling good about this car
Just ask the dealership to make sure the software is up to date. They will have already done it but ask them to humor you. Before the fix was available, this might have been a reason to refuse delivery but I wouldn't refuse delivery now that a fix is available. In fact, I didn't refuse delivery of mine, which I picked up just this week.

This is clearly a known problem. That said, what we don't know is the percentage of GLK250's affected by this AdBlue/CEL issue.
We don't know how many ultimately experienced the "10 Starts Remaining" problem but all GLK250s produced between whatever dates had the same faulty software loaded into the car. Software doesn't vary like parts can from one batch to another, such as one box of sensors being bad.

I hate to "cut my nose off to spite my face" and refuse delivery when in fact this problem may only be affecting a small percentage of the total GLK250's being exported to the USA and Canada.
You've waited so long already. I would not recommend refusing delivery. Your car isn't in the US yet. If your car doesn't get the new software at the factory, it will get it at the port long before you even see it.

"Please note that the concern with the adblue sensor stems from a software issue that has been resolved with a software update. As such your vehicle will receive the update either before leaving the factory or during the pre delivery inspection (PDI)."

I'm curious as to what MB-USA would say if I asked.
They would likely say the same given that I heard very similar info (just replace PDI with VPC) from my US dealer and they got that info from MBUSA. But if you do contact them, let us know what they say.

Last edited by balticgreen; 11-23-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:45 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Chris wrote: " Just ask the dealership to make sure the software is up to date. They will have already done it but ask them to humor you. Before the fix was available, this might have been a reason to refuse delivery but I wouldn't refuse delivery now that a fix is available. In fact, I didn't refuse delivery of mine, which I picked up just this week."

Actually I did ask my dealer about this and they advised that MB have told them not to do any pre-delivery checks unless the error shows up.

This presumably because MB will already have done the update either at factory or at PDI. Someone would have to pay for dealer techs time and if MB say not to do it, then dealer or customer would have to cover cost.

I sure hope they have this problem licked. It is not a serious problem except for fact engine cannot be started soon after it does happen. The 10 start thing is crazy. I can drive my 85 300D as much as i wish with no doubt all kinds of emissions. But I get prevented from driving a highly efficient modern diesel any further than the nearest dealer. Gas cars can have equally bad emission problems, but they are only checked every few years during an e-test. In fact, right now I have a CE light on my e320 apparently caused by a cylinder misfire. I can drive it that way until next e-test.

In time, if the problem persists, some smart electronics guys will probably design a gizmo that makes the computer "think" the Adblue system is working
Old 11-23-2013, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by 107123210
Actually I did ask my dealer about this and they advised that MB have told them not to do any pre-delivery checks unless the error shows up.

This presumably because MB will already have done the update either at factory or at PDI. Someone would have to pay for dealer techs time and if MB say not to do it, then dealer or customer would have to cover cost.
The dealer checks (or is supposed to check?) that all the car's software is up to date before delivering a car to a customer, not just BlueTECs. It's part of their process, like removing the shipping coverings and washing the car. Cost-wise, it's covered in the sale of the car, either as a "dealer processing fee" line item or in the price of the car itself if they don't charge a dealer fee or you think you negotiated it out.

As far as MB Canada telling dealers not to update software, I can't speak to that. As far as I know, MBUSA has not said the same thing. My dealer said they updated all in-stock cars when they received the bulletin about it. They don't want customers coming back upset over a problem that could have been fixed before it occurred.

In fact, right now I have a CE light on my e320 apparently caused by a cylinder misfire. I can drive it that way until next e-test.
Now you've done it. You're going to get me started on emissions testing, that feel-good sham of a program. Old cars are exempt and cars that test but fail end up getting waivers anyway so it accomplishes nothing except raising money for the government and providing a few low-skill jobs.

One of many selling points of the BlueTEC for me was that diesels are exempt from our emissions testing. I have never had a vehicle fail testing but it's such an inconvenient racket that any way I can legally avoid it sounds like a good idea to me. In case any environmental people are about to get mad at me, I don't object to the idea; I object to the poor execution and wouldn't feel this way if it actually improved air quality.

In time, if the problem persists, some smart electronics guys will probably design a gizmo that makes the computer "think" the Adblue system is working
I expect someone to come up with that eventually even if this particular problem doesn't persist. The legality of selling that solution could be an entirely different issue. Of course legality depends on the locality. Road trip to Mexico, anyone?
Old 11-23-2013, 09:26 PM

GLK 250
Angry Same AdBlue issue

I too am struggling with the 10 start warning. Had the car 3 months now and at 562 miles had the check engine light and the dreaded AdBlue message. The dealer had the car for four weeks, replaced both NOX sensors, called in a tech from MB, then reprogrammed the software. They explained it was an tight emissions issue. Drove the car 600 more miles and same issue again. It's at the dealer now waiting resolution.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:02 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
Originally Posted by dheadberg
I too am struggling with the 10 start warning. Had the car 3 months now and at 562 miles had the check engine light and the dreaded AdBlue message. The dealer had the car for four weeks, replaced both NOX sensors, called in a tech from MB, then reprogrammed the software. They explained it was an tight emissions issue. Drove the car 600 more miles and same issue again. It's at the dealer now waiting resolution.
I have to report that now is my turn. Yesterday on our 1200 miles (one way ) trip from Detroit to Miami after 250 miles driving the check engine indicator was on and 20 minutes later AdBlue count down message started. Our 2014 GLK250 has 1680 miles picked up with ED on August 27th in Germany. The car was left with closest MB of WestChester in Ohio - they did not even bother to check what's going on due to early closing on Saturday. They gave us "similar" Ford Escape 2014 from Enterprise rental for our 10 days trip promising that GLK will be fixed by the time we travel back. We will see.
Interestingly two local MB dealers did not return my emails in advance of our trip when I've asked about possible preventive measures anticipating that this could happen for us.

By the way Escape drove just fine without any complains...

Regardless of outcome I am going to file a formal complain again MBUSA for knowing the problem and doing nothing or doing something when the car fails.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:12 PM

GLK250 2014
I checked through this thread and found 21 instances of the Adlue error:

wshang 09/11 fixed 09/11
ttrsh 09/29 failed and fixed 3 times,(last one successful so far)
kalenbek 10/02
conbar1943 10/04 6 weeks at dealer, then failed again, and again after software update.
Tom Kelsey 10/14 fixed
Lolagirl 10/15
mcinenly2 10/17
mtl20 10/19
fdny136 10/24 fixed 11/01
arminquickert 10/24
xcowdoc 10/26
emtskibum 11/01
se7enspeed 11/05 (fixed with new sensor)
Swalroth 11/09 (on a 2013!)
Miljohn58 10/21 fixed failed again 11/17, being fixed again
wrh47 11/~16 , 3 days at dealer not resolved yet
Bill Olafson (on BW) At dealer for second time
shark1007 (on BW) Repaired using new FIX.
dheadberg - First at 562mi, 4wks at dlr, then again after another 600mi
Alex Bel - failed at 1680 mi. Left with dealer.
bytemaster0 (No initial problem, but problem after dealer installed new software)

May not be totally accurate.

Would be nice if those on list could provide updates.

Last Update Nov 26, 2013.
Added a few new instances of Adblue failure above, and one update. Seems to be mostly with cars delivered early.

Last edited by 107123210; 11-26-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:48 PM

GLK 250 Bluetec 4Matic
Originally Posted by Alex Bel
I have to report that now is my turn. Yesterday on our 1200 miles (one way ) trip from Detroit to Miami after 250 miles driving the check engine indicator was on and 20 minutes later AdBlue count down message started. Our 2014 GLK250 has 1680 miles picked up with ED on August 27th in Germany. The car was left with closest MB of WestChester in Ohio - they did not even bother to check what's going on due to early closing on Saturday. They gave us "similar" Ford Escape 2014 from Enterprise rental for our 10 days trip promising that GLK will be fixed by the time we travel back. We will see. Interestingly two local MB dealers did not return my emails in advance of our trip when I've asked about possible preventive measures anticipating that this could happen for us. By the way Escape drove just fine without any complains... Regardless of outcome I am going to file a formal complain again MBUSA for knowing the problem and doing nothing or doing something when the car fails.
Bummer! I followed your posts Alex and our 250 (now 2700 miles trouble free) was built in the same week as yours. We've got 1,000 miles planned for thanksgiving with no dealer en route, then 2,500 miles just after new year. I guess I'll try my local dealer and see if we can preempt the issue. Anyone out there had luck getting a dealt to update software before the issue arises?
Old 11-24-2013, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by gbkmtb
Bummer! I followed your posts Alex and our 250 (now 2700 miles trouble free) was built in the same week as yours. We've got 1,000 miles planned for thanksgiving with no dealer en route, then 2,500 miles just after new year. I guess I'll try my local dealer and see if we can preempt the issue. Anyone out there had luck getting a dealt to update software before the issue arises?
Do whatever you can in advance. We were lucky we were 30 miles from the MB dealership and our friends live in Cincinnati area, so we spent time with them. Still I do not know whether car will be fixed by the time we are traveling back from Miami.
Anyways I am going to take the car from this Ohio dealer and if not fixed continue our fight in Michigan.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:46 PM

GLK 250 Bluetec 4Matic
Stopped in at the dealer's service counter today. They checked my VIN and told me, "there is no campaign issued for your vehicle so there is nothing for us to do." I have to admit I'm a little frustrated with MB. It seems like a fair request to update the software as a preventive measure. Instead, over the winter holidays, I'll be driving with my fingers crossed for almost 4000 miles throughout the US Rockies.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:26 PM

Received 193 Likes on 132 Posts
2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
A word of warning

For those considering having your software updated if you're not experiencing the problem: *Don't do it!*

Yesterday, my 2014 GLK250BT was performing perfectly, with the exception of a 3/8" machine screw that I had found in the right-rear tire. I brought the car to the local Mercedes-Benz dealership in Louisville, who repaired the tire for free. I asked them about the software update bulletin, and they confirmed that it did in fact exist. Because later today, I was going to (and did) drive with my fiancée to her family's house for Thanksgiving, just outside of Nashville, I wanted to take care of the potential issue before it would arise.

I asked them to flash the software, and they informed me that it would take two 45-minute test drives with a computer connected to it. This all went fine, and I was told that the car was now up to date, and all should be well. I congratulated myself for my foresight, and felt peace of mind that our drive would be problem-free.

Just 30 minutes into the drive, the CEL came on, and another 30 minutes to an hour later, the dreaded 10 starts/Ad-blue message came on. I was able to call the dealership, who has arranged for an early-morning appointment with Mercedes-Benz of Nashville. I really hope they can fix it, as my car is now definitely seeing the problem *AFTER* the software update.

One interesting note. If you drive for a few hundred miles after the CEL/Ad-Blue message comes on, your number of starts will increase. My vehicle now displays "16 starts remaining" instead of 10. I'm guessing that because we were driving for so long after the message appeared, the software is set to give a few extra starts in case the owner is far from home.

Either way, I will be waiting at the dealership tomorrow while they attempt a fix, and will report back what I hear. However, if you're planning on asking for the software and do not have the problem, don't update it. You may just cause the problem to occur, as it did in my car.

Oh, and for those curious, you cannot just use an OBDII scanner to reset the CEL and continue operating, though it's possible that this may have had an effect when I attempted to clear codes (the scanner was clueless and was unable to delete the codes), I will try again with it tomorrow. Hope they can fix it here in Nashville!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:27 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
Originally Posted by bytemaster0
For those considering having your software updated if you're not experiencing the problem: *Don't do it!*
This is going to be very interesting to see if software upgrades to 2013 models during 10k service intervals are going to trigger this nightmare too..
Old 11-26-2013, 08:31 AM

2014 GLK 250
bytemaster0

Good luck on having the dealer do a same day fix. After the software update we had our forth failure at about 200 miles. We returned the car to the dealer and it has been there for almost three weeks. Last contact with the dealer was about a week ago when we were told MB instructed them to replace the rear NOx sensor (second time), test drive the car, and send the info back to Germany. I don't think that MB has a fix that works on all the GLK250's and they are trying to "patch" each SUV as they fail. I really would like to know how many 2013 and 2014 are failing but you can't get that info from MB or the dealer.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:21 AM

2013 GLK250BT
This is going to be very interesting to see if software upgrades to 2013 models during 10k service intervals are going to trigger this nightmare too.. "

That's one reason I did the 10K service myself. Didn't want any software upgrades until this mess is straightened out.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:57 AM

Interesting update

Thanks conbar, they're working on it as I type. However, something interesting happened this morning. Remember, I didn't have the problem before. After the software update, I immediately ran into the problem, and kept driving. After about 100-200 miles, the remaining starts count increased to 16. So, this morning, when I started the car to bring it to the dealer, the remaining starts count message is no longer displaying, and does not show in the assist message display location. The CEL is still on, however.

The service manager just came out and spoke with me, and said that they found a few stored codes, but didn't find any issues other than that. I told them about NOx sensor replacements, and a basic summary of what is being reported here. They are now informing the shop foreman, we'll see what happens. Sounds like they've never seen this problem before. I'm guessing that it's possible that the calibration procedure was not done correctly in Louisville. Either way, both dealerships are doing their best to help, I'll report back what happens later today. Best of luck to all those still waiting for their fix.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by mike-nc
This is going to be very interesting to see if software upgrades to 2013 models during 10k service intervals are going to trigger this nightmare too.. "
There is NO suggestion nor indication that ANY software is upgraded during ANY maintenance. It would be rather easy to specify that the software not be updated nor upgraded. They only have to alter the maintenance code for next service and that does NOT mean altering nor upgrading the software.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:21 PM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by conbar1943
We returned the car to the dealer and it has been there for almost three weeks. Last contact with the dealer was about a week ago when we were told MB instructed them to replace the rear NOx sensor (second time), test drive the car, and send the info back to Germany. I don't think that MB has a fix that works on all the GLK250's and they are trying to "patch" each SUV as they fail. I really would like to know how many 2013 and 2014 are failing but you can't get that info from MB or the dealer.
Can't believe the problems you have had. You must be very frustrated. But presumably they provided you with a good loaner vehicle.

For those of us in Canada, I have been told that if we had this (or any other) problem requiring warranty work, we would only be covered for alternative transportation costs up to $600 plus accomodation up to $500. Maybe a rental for a week? I looked up the equivalent MBUSA numbers: As long as the condition is a warrantable defect and the vehicle is still within the Limited New Vehicle Warranty period, and all repairs are performed at an authorized Mercedes-Benz Dealership, you may be reimbursed up to $300 per day* for actual documented expenses - for up to three days - including the costs of meals, lodging, and substitute transportation. Seems they are going well beyond those, and so they should!

So far, we have 21 Adblue failures reported here on MBWorld. Wonder how many 2014s are on road in North America and what % have problems? Maybe there is an organization that monitors this type of thing?

It's a great shame that an otherwise excellent vehicle would have such a stupid problem.

Last edited by 107123210; 11-26-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Alex Bel
I have to report that now is my turn. Yesterday on our 1200 miles (one way ) trip from Detroit to Miami after 250 miles driving the check engine indicator was on and 20 minutes later AdBlue count down message started. Our 2014 GLK250 has 1680 miles picked up with ED on August 27th in Germany. The car was left with closest MB of WestChester in Ohio - they did not even bother to check what's going on due to early closing on Saturday. They gave us "similar" Ford Escape 2014 from Enterprise rental for our 10 days trip promising that GLK will be fixed by the time we travel back. We will see.
Interestingly two local MB dealers did not return my emails in advance of our trip when I've asked about possible preventive measures anticipating that this could happen for us.

By the way Escape drove just fine without any complains...

Regardless of outcome I am going to file a formal complain again MBUSA for knowing the problem and doing nothing or doing something when the car fails.
Today they (West Chester OH) informed myself that yesterday's ordered NOx sensor(s) came in and they are working on the vehicle. The Michigan service manager called and stated that they have experience with this problem, mentioned bulletin, sensors and software updates. When I've told this to OH dealer he said they have experience with this issue as well.

So, we'll see. I hope that on our way back from Florida the vehicle will be at least drivable and we will be able to bring it home in Michigan and continue to work with local dealer if needed.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:08 PM

Hopefully resolved now

Just wanted to report back from my service experience today. After waiting for about 6 hours in the lounge at Mercedes-Benz of Nashville (wonderful folks, they bought me a nice lunch and are even mailing back a travel mug that I had left there!), with a last-minute appointment set up the night before, all seems well. The techs performed the same service that had been done at the dealership in Louisville. My drive back to my fiancée's family's house took a bit over an hour, and so far, no problems whatsoever. I was told that the shop foreman himself, who has 25+ years experience at that dealership, did the work. The service manager expressed high confidence that it was fixed. I hope he's right.

A couple of notes:
1. It seems like this may have been this dealership's first time seeing it, though I cannot confirm.
2. I saw (the dealership has TVs that link to cameras in the shop) the technician poking around for quite a while at an area under the car where the NOx sensor should live. However, I was told that the sensor was not replaced.
3. The dealership did the same steps in the bulletin: software update (I didn't hear them mention that they re-flashed the update), and then two test-drives to calibrate the system, exercising the particulate filter regeneration process on each drive, and then calibrating the system based on those results.

The Louisville Mercedes-Benz dealership was also in constant contact with me during the day, and helped coordinate the efforts with the dealer in Nashville. I am quite impressed at how fast they were able to take my car in on a busy time leading up to the holidays, and with their efficiency and courtesy. If the issue recurs, I will probably wait until I drive back to Louisville this weekend. I sincerely hope that the issue has now been resolved.

So, in summary, if you don't have the problem, and want the bulletin applied anyway, make sure that you have time for it to be done again, just in case the initial process didn't set the calibration points correctly. Either way, may just be best to wait until you have a need for the update. Best of luck to all those who are continuing to battle this issue!
Old 11-27-2013, 03:34 PM

2014 GLK 250
Received a call from the dealer today and talked to the tech who has been working on my car. It appears that the software update has fixed the problem in most of the 2014 GLK250s but there are a few like mine where the updated software did not fix the problem. The tech was asking about the four failures I have had and will be forwarding the info back to Germany.

My GLK250 is 3 months old today and has spent almost 2 months of it's life at the dealership.

The dealership has been great. I have been given a GLK350 to use while ours is in the shop.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:05 AM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC
Bytemaster0 & Conbar1943,

Thanks very much for your updates. That sort of information is useful to all of us.

Best Regards,
Jim
Old 11-28-2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bob338
There is NO suggestion nor indication that ANY software is upgraded during ANY maintenance. It would be rather easy to specify that the software not be updated nor upgraded. They only have to alter the maintenance code for next service and that does NOT mean altering nor upgrading the software.
They definitely check for open campaigns when you go in for regular maintenance. If there is a campaign to update software then they will do it. The bigger question is whether there is a campaign to update the emissions software in 2013 GLKs. There probably isn't.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:48 PM

Quick update, all seems well

Thought I'd send in a quick update, ever since the second fix that was done at Mercedes-Benz of Nashville on November 26th, all seems well. I've driven several hundred miles since then, and so far, no sign of the CEL/AdBlue issue coming on. Hoping it will continue to operate this way.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:25 PM

2014 GLK250
I just got the Ad Blue warning this morning-originally 10 starts left, now I'm down to 6. I got my GLK 250 in mid-September and have about 1800 miles. I was wondering if everyone is taking it back to the dealership they bought it at, or if any MB dealership will service it (for free).

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2013, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S213
Originally Posted by ak_ku
No problems (yet). *Knock knock on the wood*

Received my 2014 250 last week from the dealer. ~240miles now. Tank half way full, not refilled yet. Production date was around week 38 (mid Sep). US spec and dealer in LA area. Will post updates, if anything occurs.

I have not posted to poll yet, because so few miles behind.
Just came back from San Francisco. 1000miles in three days. Odometer shows now 1490 miles totally. *knock knock* no issues so far. Car runs like a dream.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by legalmisfit
I just got the Ad Blue warning this morning-originally 10 starts left, now I'm down to 6. I got my GLK 250 in mid-September and have about 1800 miles. I was wondering if everyone is taking it back to the dealership they bought it at, or if any MB dealership will service it (for free).

Thanks!
Any MB dealership will service it under warranty...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2014 GLK 250 bluetec AdBlue warning