GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2014 GLK 250 bluetec AdBlue warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Glk250 BlueTec
Was your GLK built before November 2013? I am asking because mine was built on January 10th and I am concerned about taking delivery if this problem isn't resolved. I hope yours is fixed quickly.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:19 PM

2014 Glk250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by docjennings
same issue with my one month old glk 250. out of the blue 10 starts
remaining, adblue icon and check engine light. Dealer says it's fixed, rented
me a loaner but it does make you nervous it could happen again on our
trip to Florida. traded our Buick Enclave because of engine warning light
never thought it would happen with a MB.
drj
Hope your problem is solved.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by Eyesncars
Was your GLK built before November 2013? I am asking because mine was built on January 10th and I am concerned about taking delivery if this problem isn't resolved. I hope yours is fixed quickly.
Yours should be fine. They'll check the software at the port to be sure.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:39 PM

2014 Glk250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by balticgreen
Yours should be fine. They'll check the software at the port to be sure.
Thanks for calming me down. Are you enjoying your GLK?
Old 01-19-2014, 06:56 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by Eyesncars
Thanks for calming me down. Are you enjoying your GLK?
Yes, very much so. I enjoyed the C300 I had before it but the GLK is even better. My favorite question so far has been "Why does it sound funny?"
Old 01-19-2014, 07:03 PM

2014 Glk250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by balticgreen
Yes, very much so. I enjoyed the C300 I had before it but the GLK is even better. My favorite question so far has been "Why does it sound funny?"
Great comment. I am coming out of an Audi TDI A3 and am looking forward to more space and being higher up.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Our GLK now has about 6,000 km on it and no issues so far. I've been mostly filling up with Shell V-Power Diesel, Shell regular Diesel and Esso Diesel.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:46 PM

2014 glk 250 bluetech
Mine has close to 2800 Kilometers on it now. No issues so far..
Old 01-21-2014, 06:07 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
We have had our GLK250 for 7 weeks. Now have done 510km with no problems! Haven't bought any diesel yet

Km will soon increase dramatically!

By the way, I recently checked price of diesel in SC where we will soon be. It is more costly than we would pay for Premium if we used our E320. But, at C$1.03/litre (US$3.56/gal), a lot less than we pay in Canada and of course, the mileage is better on the GLK.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:31 AM

GLK250 BlueTec- 2014
Update on my GLK250 BT -2014

a) ADD SPARE TYRE - (none supplied from Dealer/MB USA)
After various calls and communications to both MB USA and Dealer - no real answer UNTILL I forwarded the subject 'emails from salesman' to MB USA. This email is where I had clearly asked about:
i) ADD BLUE issues ( if they were resolved)
ii) Spare tyre ( verdestein - sorry not sure of this spelling)

The dealer Salesman clearly had replied with answers to both staying 'add blue error' was being fixed with new software patch at factory and my car (build nov/dec2013) would have this new fix already applied.

The salesman went on to write that my vehicle WILL HAVE the 'dougnut' type spare with a "compressor" as standard equipment.

Seems now the MB USA - Customer Service person who was assigned to my case - has suddenly " always busy" and not taking calls NOR returned my calls all this week !!

Since MB USA decided to use "run flats tires" only on ALL DISEAL cars & trucks from 2014 onwards in USA. Not sure what MB is going to do for Canada ......as Canadian rules are little different etc... I found a MB dealer who is willing to sell me these 'spare tire' that comes with the 2013 models ($304$ with no tax if I order it online - am very comfortable doing that) SO I am much more comfortable having this 'piece of mind' before I drive on my long road trip.

I don't think there are too many MB dealers around on route to PEI or to Churchill (polar bear capital of the world) in Northern Canada. Should be an interesting drive from Boston to PEI then to Manitoba!

B) so far (800 miles done ) after NO ADD BLUE issues - as I re-filled my car with dismal via a MOBIL gas station
so figures Crossed !!
Cheers everyone

Last edited by miked807; 01-22-2014 at 10:39 AM. Reason: so pelling
Old 01-22-2014, 07:50 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC
Diesel Fuel Differences?

Originally Posted by koalatm
Our GLK now has about 6,000 km on it and no issues so far. I've been mostly filling up with Shell V-Power Diesel, Shell regular Diesel and Esso Diesel.
To the best of my knowledge, we only have one grade of diesel fuel available in the USA: Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel.

Can you please explain the differences, if any, in the three Canadian diesel fuels you mention above?

Thank You,
Jim
Old 01-22-2014, 09:34 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by BigBoeing
To the best of my knowledge, we only have one grade of diesel fuel available in the USA: Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel.

Can you please explain the differences, if any, in the three Canadian diesel fuels you mention above?

Thank You,
Jim
I am sure it is the same in Canada. But maybe the is that those are all major oil company stations.

A friend of mine had a big problem with a Mercedes diesel after filling up at a Flying J in USA. He ended up with blocked filters and an engine that would not run. He thinks that the diesel tanks must have been almost empty and he got the dregs. Could happen anywhere, I guess.

We have had something like that happen with our gas E320. Except in this case it was water in the gas.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:48 AM

SLK 350 2013
In Canada, we have only the ULSD at a regular service station. There is a difference in summer and winter. The winter fuel is rated to -40.

I believe in Quebec, agricultural producers still can get "purple fuel". I don't know what the specs are but it was way cheaper in the 90's as it wasn't taxed the same, regular sulfur levels, ... it was actually just home heating oil.

So unless you're buying bootlegged fuel out of the back of a pick-up, you should be on ULSD. The companies here just give them different names at the pump. ... Heck it all comes from Exxon or Suncor anyway.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:09 PM

GLK250 BlueTec- 2014
Originally Posted by 107123210
I am sure it is the same in Canada. But maybe the is that those are all major oil company stations.

A friend of mine had a big problem with a Mercedes diesel after filling up at a Flying J in USA. He ended up with blocked filters and an engine that would not run. He thinks that the diesel tanks must have been almost empty and he got the dregs. Could happen anywhere, I guess.

We have had something like that happen with our gas E320. Except in this case it was water in the gas.
When it comes to Diesel. "Flying J" probably is the worst of the "big chain stores for your MB newer models. I had the vw3.o SUV before my glk and will never ever fill from there . TA is not bad in my view. Also most flying j stuff is not to par when it comes to seeing your miles per tank/ gallons - I used to get up to 20% less miles for same gallons from Mobil or she'll

Just my experiences
Old 01-29-2014, 11:32 AM

2014 GLK250
Another Adblue problem

I have a 2014 GLK250 with 2500 miles. Got a Adblue warning with 16 starts left. Dealer first said the tank sensor was not calibrated at the factory. He then said it needed a whole new set of software. They claimed the download took 6 hours (?). They also said the procedure called for them to drive it until it is hot then wait until it cools down then repeat for 3 drives. Dealer very responsive with loaner dropped off at the house and GLK returned washed and with full tank.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:19 AM

2014 GLK 250 Bluetec
CEL Adblue Problems

Just thought I'd add another car to this sad list. Picked up new 2014 GLK 250
on November 19, 2013. CEL came on December 26 at about 1200 miles. Software update performed by dealer.

On February 3 CEL back on with Adblue admonishment - only 10 starts remaining. On February 4 CEL only - no Adblue message. Back at dealer today Feb 5. GRRR!
Old 02-08-2014, 07:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Still solid with no issues (7,000 km so far). Our GLK build date was the third week of September, 2013.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:37 PM

2014 glk 250 bluetech
No issues with mine as well. Close to 3500 Kilometers on it. Build date last week of September 2013.Love the Torque that makes me fly.......
Old 02-13-2014, 10:43 AM

2014 GLK 250
Another CEL warning today.This is the 3rd time in 3 months.I am having a hard time loving this vehicle.Very upset with these issues.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:39 PM

2004 Oxford Green BMW 530i SMG
I'm following this thread because I'm very interested in replacing my E60 with a GLK250 in the future, but I have to admit I'm shocked over these CEL/Adblue issues and the way Mercedes is handling them. I expected to see a fix long ago, or goodwill purchases from Mercedes helping costumers to get out of their vehicles and into something else.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:48 PM

GLK250 BlueTec- 2014
~Especially for any Prospective Buyers on GLK250BT~

Hi everyone;
@Prospective new GLK250BT Buyers

I have a GLK250BT (Boston Delivered Jan14;ordered Oct013). I am not new to MB cars - almost 20 MB's cars in my family. GLK250 = 9th one!. I also read a lot (including these forms) and was @first hesitant to buy one. I was finally persuaded by receiving a $5500$discount via my work-EPScheme!
So far have driven it nearly 1100miles and NOT CEL/"ad-blue" warning(s)...However my biggest peeve is with LACK OF SPARE TIRE (as I especially when I was told by dealer told me writing via email - I will be getting a 'doughnut tire') @ Delivery I was totally not happy to even take my car home due to this POINT. I ended up finding a DEALER who would sell me the Spare Tire from the GLK350 ...and it sits behind the passenger seats at back - we hardly have 2nd row seats used! (read my other post on this point)

MBUSA was even more shocking to deal with - as in the past the MB Germany was more helpful/Willing to do something than MB USA- With my past E550 I had weirdest thing- two doors were completely different shade of 'grey' with the BODY GREY..... and I had MB Head Office send over two QA Engineers to look at the car and It was REPLACED and a free First Class ticket to Stuttgart to do pickup!!) MB USA didn't even want to reply to my dealer's request for meeting and told the dealer - I was JUST A FUSSY BUYER with "eye needing check-up"!!!

Ok about the GLK250.
as I wrote in one of the posts - The car is a bit 'underpowered' when you drive it. The 2.1Turbo needs re-calibrating for the USA/Canada market as I have driven this same model in CHINA and its more 'peppy' and much better to drive around town (yip an a techie car geek worked for car industry) The model I have in USA was ordered with two specific options and nothing else - we wanted a small Basic Diesel SUV. The Engine feels its does not have enough torque for 1 person even. I have driven lots of 2.0 Turbos and they miles ahead of this MB motor!
The rest of car seems fine or ok and nothing major to talk about - however if you buy this for any long road trips - be prepared to have a BACK MASAGE service at every night - seats are terrible ( and that's being polite!) Highway mileage (miles per gallon) is the only reason we bought this model and yet it seems far more thirsty than Audi TDI which is a 3.0!!

We; so far have not had any CEL/ADBLUE issues so am not looking forward to that. However the car is like any other MB model - solid built and nice feel in the inside ( even though we paid a PREMIUM for LATHER SEATS - which are not like any 'sports -hug-your-body- types!

Would I buy this model again = NO WAY

side-note = :GLK250 In china I drove for a week = HAD A SPARE - just like that in GLK350 models here (as china models of diesels don't get AD BLUE technology - assume that POLLUTION don't matter in that country!!)

Hope this helps someone
Cheers
Old 02-13-2014, 06:48 PM

2004 Oxford Green BMW 530i SMG
Thanks for the write-up, it was very helpful! I'm not in the market just yet, my BMW is only approaching the 30k point; but in the next few years for sure. I'm quite familiar with the brand having owned 3 SLKs, 3 C230 kompressors, and a pitifully slow '96 E300D (no turbo! ). I'm a fan! I've owned twice as many BMWs, but am no longer really a fan of anything BMW sells here in the US. The X3 isn't sporty enough for me and the new X5 is nowhere near as appealing as the previous model (especially with the Sport Activity package).

I'm a diesel fan: The E300D was horrifically slow, but a solid car - but with some weird electrical issues that attribute to being the first year of a new bodystyle. Nothing that I hadn't researched and read about before. I've owned 2 TDI VWs. Hate the brand, love the technology. Yes, the USA essentially gets de-tuned/boring versions of the European cars for emissions purposes. BLAH! Ridiculous!

The spare tire issue doesn't necessarily bother me. Several of my BMWs and a JCW MINI that I had were manufactured without spares. RFTs aren't optimal for driving/handling/longevity and I eventually made them obsolete on my previous cars in favor of regular tires and carrying around a can of freen slime and a portable compressor that plugged into an accessory outlet. I've had a flat tire twice in my 17 years of driving, so maybe I'm not as cautious as I should be. A blowout would really leave me S.O.L. You an buy portable spare tires, right? I think I remember reading about them when I had my first Z4.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:39 AM

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts
2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
Just a quick update, car went in for 10K-mile service, am just a few miles shy of 10K at the moment. After the second AdBlue fix (remember, I triggered the first one by getting a "preemptive" fix), no sign of the AdBlue issue. Hope those of you with the fix are continuing to experience smooth operation as well.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:35 PM

'14 GLK250 Diesel
We took delivery of our GLK 250 diesel in early January - production date early October. First big road trip was from our home in Vancouver WA [think Portland OR] to Las Vegas for an extended vacation. On the way back, about 3 hours out of Vegas [and out of cell range], the dreaded "AdBlue / 16-starts-left" message came up, with a CEL. Thanks to this forum, I was able to point the home-town dealer in the right direction once we got back.

FYI, the service procedure reference is LI49.10-P-058243 [that second letter is an I - "eye"]. The message appeared at about 1700 miles, and the fix was applied at about 2500 miles. We now have close to 2800 miles, so it is probably too soon to declare victory and bring the troops home, but I'm hopeful.

On another note, I should say that this is our 18th Mercedes since 1968, and I love this car, notwithstanding the AdBlue fix. We had a gasoline '10 GLK350, so I'm not entirely new to this body style, and it's my 6th diesel, though none in the last few years. What's not to like [besides the spare tire issue]? It's quiet, comfortable, quick enough, easy to use, and we consistently get 35+ mpg at 75 mph. Our overall average for the 2800 miles to date is right around 30 mpg. Even suburban running around, with multiple stops, yields 27-29 mpg - the '10 GLK350 struggled to deliver 18-19mpg under these conditions.

On the spare tire question - Firstly, I'm running 235/60x17 Michelins on German Rial wheels from Tire Rack; the OEM 19s with the Dunlops came off the car on delivery, and are stacked in storage, awaiting the day when I sell the car. This 17" size is OEM in every market except North America, by the way - only here is it thought that the 19s need to be standard. My car thus rides better, and is quieter on the road, than any GLK wearing the 19s. Better traction in rain and snow, too.

I've solved the spare tire problem by sourcing a collapsible spare from a gasoline GLK, and carrying a portable compressor. I use the inside of the spare wheel for extra storage, and have it bungeed to one of the folding rear seat latches - I can slide it onto the folded seat behind the driver, or if the seat is upright, it slides back into the cargo hold. We never ran short of cargo space using this approach on our long trip, and we carry a lot of stuff.

Anyway, thanks again to those who have contributed to this forum - knowing in advance about the AdBlue problem saved me a lot of anxiety and aggravation when it happened, and allowed me to point the dealer right at the solution with no wasted time or energy. So far, so good on the software update....

Last edited by jrct9454; 03-17-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:24 PM

glk250
Thumbs down Another one bites the dust 10 starts left !

Ok this is really starting to aggravate me. First at 3000 miles check engine light on and all of the Nox sensors replaced. three days and 120 miles of test driving we get our GLK 250 back.
Now at 6100 miles the dreaded Check engine light returns accompanied by 10 starts left add blue. This time the repair took 6 days and 320 miles of test driving and two new Nox sensors plus fresh add blue.
I purchased this car for road trips and currently it's totally unreliable , seriously ten starts is unacceptable, I would prefer ten days. This is our first MB and so far it's been the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned... Wished we bought a 350 instead, no Bluetec BS.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2014 GLK 250 bluetec AdBlue warning